Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
How do people feel about the ADAM F5 speakers? I was thinking of grabbing a pair to replace my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 setup. The 2.1 setup has started hissing and upon opening up the amp I've found that the speaker connector board has corroded from some glue they used. I'm trying to stay away from Logitech and the sort while also not wanting to incorporate a huge DAC setup. I've looked at a few powered speaker solutions and it seems DefTech's are unwieldily and Paradigm Shift A2 have hissing issues. I've read a lot of great reviews on the F5 but I'd love any input. I'm going to try and demo some at Guitar Center this weekend while I'm in Chicago and maybe grab a pair.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

powderific posted:

Do you mean Adam? They seem to get good reviews and ribbon tweeters are neat. I haven't heard the F5's myself. You might look at the JBL LSR305/308 too. People really seem to like them for the price and I've been thinking of picking up a pair for our office.

Yeah I meant Adam. I typod but fixed after.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
They're just going into my MacBook and my gaming pc. I do like the idea of the XLR capabilities but it appears that they don't carry the A3X at the store I'll be visiting. My office is a smaller room and most definitely do not need 100W. Only benefit really is the stereo link however on my current speakers I've always set volume to "max" and used my pc volume control negating the usefulness of that feature. I guess the F5 would be a better fit for me. Can't wait to check them out this weekend!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Budget isn't really a concern more the feasibility of the speaker. The A5X seems like too much speaker for my application and would be a waste of money for the gains that are likely not experienced without higher volumes going through them which was why I was thinking A3X.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Unfortunately those other speakers aren't at the shop I'm going to but I'll definitely check the F5 vs the A5X before I pull the trigger as well as see if they have other powered speakers to test. I'm someone who likes to demo a speaker which makes purchasing kind of a PITA. I actually was just going to get another set of pro medias until I opened mine up to see why they failed.

Klipsch uses way too much glue in their product and how mine failed is by far the dumbest location of glue ever. There's no reason for it other than to limit repairability and in the process destroyed them.

This is the back of the speaker terminal hookups and somehow the glue corroded the solder causing the signal to degrade.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I got the F5s, love them a lot however I'm trying to figure out what cable I need to use the XLR input. Is this what I need? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-3-5mm-Dual-1-4--Y-Cable-101172559-i1166742.gc

Edit: I guess I need some sort of interface? Any recommendations that aren't stupidly expensive? I don't need any special recording features, just audio output.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 21, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I do not, but I wouldn't mind buying some sort of usb interface that does have balanced outputs. Searching around I end up with like 8 line mixers and well, I don't record music so I don't need all that funky stuff. Is there any super dumbed down interface that is strictly a balanced output?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Well I guess I'll stick to my 3.5mm to RCA breakout cable then. There's no reason to run these through an amp, they're powered speakers I just liked the idea of a balanced signal to reduce hiss from interference on the cable. Oh well thanks!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So my stupid windows box hisses with the crappy onboard audio with my Asus motherboard. Same with using the pc monitor's output. Is there a decent sound card that isn't magical bullshit or full of crappy drivers that are poorly supported? I haven't looked at a sound card in like 10 years.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Pair of Adam F5 with a sub plugged in via 3.5mm and crossover set between the two.

Is usb the only option to kill hiss on a tower? I was hoping for a pcie/PCI card I could throw in and plug into. It's strange because I use the same exact plug setup with my mbpr and have 0 hiss.

All plug into the same mains and 3 pronged all around from the computer to the wall. Googling Asus and mobo hiss seems to be commonplace so I'm willing to chalk it up to my mobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you have a multimeter you can do a continuity test. I had 2.1s recently go out on me and when I opened the amp I just threw them away. Klipsch put a ton of glue on the amp making it impossible to service. The glue on mine corroded the speaker terminals causing a ground buzz in the speakers.