Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Droid Washington posted:

What is the current cheap PC speaker recommendation? My fiance has just gotten into computer games (oh god) and although we just put a computer together for her, we haven't jumped on any speakers yet. I'd say I'd be willing to spend up to $40. Something like this maybe?

I know, you probably don't want to hear it, but speakers are the part of a PC system you will use the longest (10+ years if they are decent) and you will use every time you use the PC, so I never really understood skimping when it comes to that (and $40 is really, really low for speakers). I would suggest to invest a bit more and go with either Behringer's cheap active studio monitors (great for the money, bearable sound if you don't need bass), M-Audio or the always recommended Audioengine A2
For $40 you would be better off getting her a pair of decent headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fhqwhgads posted:

Not sure how they stack up on the goon consensus but I've been using the same pair of Logitech Z-5500's for just about 10 years now that I think about it. Everything still works perfectly, and now that I'm in a studio apartment, it doubles as my home theater system. Might not be ideal for the audiophile, but it's still working quite admirably.

No question it lasts long, it's Logitech stuff and that's usually long lasting (at least the older stuff). What I mean is that it is something you will use a long, long time and that means that - at least for me - it's also something I'm willing to invest some more money to have good audio quality. Paying 300 Dollar for a good pair of speakers is in the long run a better investment than the same 300 Dollar in a new graphics card that needs to be replaced by a faster version 3 years down the road. Doesn't mean you won't have a lot of fun for a long time with sub-100 Dollar speakers, but good speakers with good sound quality in my experience manage to put a smile on your face every time you hear them, which for me is pretty much every day.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The UE Boom line is basically the gold standard right now. All three of them (MiniBoom(discontinued/replaced by the Roll), Boom, and MegaBoom) have gotten rave reviews from basically everyone and, IIRC, The Wirecutter put each at the top of its respective category. The current-gen Boom is $199 new (maybe cheaper on Amazon) and $150 through their refurb store, with the Mega being $100 more expensive.

Also, you can pair two of them together to turn them into independent stereo speakers, which I think is pretty dope.

I don't like the UE Boom line much and I really don't get why it is put so much on a pedestal, especially by Wirecutter. Sound isn't really good in my opinion, especially for the price. The Megaboom even sounds worse than the Boom. What they do have though is a ton of features.
The Denon Envaya Mini sounds better and is more compact (runtime is pretty limited though). Even the Bose Soundlink Mini 2 sounds better, same with the JBL Charge 2. And the new JBL Xtreme is amazing if size and price isn't much of a consideration.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 15, 2015