Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I've had Logitech Z560s for maybe 10 years. Is there any reason I would want to replace them for something newer? Assume that my PC usage habits haven't changed in that time.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Computer-Speakers-5-Speaker-Black/dp/B00006B9CN/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
They weren't good to begin with? They were extremely well reviewed when they came out and blew everything away while costing a lot less. If the competition improved enough where these now sound like resonant horse poo poo, then I'd be interested to learn more.

I'm wondering if the technology has changed enough to warrant an upgrade. Have their been any breakthroughs? The question is independent from my usage habits because obviously I'd consider something new if I began watching movies on the computer and wanted 5.1, etc.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
It seems like people are still getting non-surround speakers for gaming. Shouldn't surround speakers be pretty important for that?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I just hate wearing headphones for gaming because I feel shutout from my roommates. It also seems more realistic when sounds are coming from around you instead of right around your ears. I have a Logitech 4.1 system and I don't even have the speakers around me (they're all in a line in front of me), but it still comes across as directional.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I was going to ask what's needed to hook up the A2s but it sounds like you can hook them straight to the onboard sound. That or a DAC but I don't know what that is.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
The front left speaker in my old 4.1 setup died but it might actually be more than that. It includes a separate control pod thing with a headphone jack and if I use that now, nothing comes out of the left headphone. Could this mean it's the sound card?

Anyway, I'm assuming I need new speakers. I've followed this thread on and off since the speaker has been dying for a long time so I've heard the common speaker recommendations. What I'm not entirely clear on are the volume controls, DACs, headphone jacks, etc. and what I need to connect stuff.

If I got the A2s would that come with everything I need to plug them into my desktop on-board audio or my laptop? Do I plug my headphones into the speakers when I want to use them? I have a headphone jack on the front of my desktop too so I guess that would work. (BTW, audio comes out of both headphones when using that, so it's probably the speakers going bad like I thought.)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What would make me want the USB DAC on the A2+? You can't plug a sub into the A2?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

japtor posted:

Just one less thing to buy/deal with if you want a USB DAC in the first place, like if your onboard sound output is noisy or something. I think it might still mux all sound input so it'd also give you one more input to work with in that case.

You can plug a sub into the A2, iirc using the minijack input I think? It does some auto sensing or something and outputs a signal when a sub is connected. A little caveat there is that it's not a sub level out and the speakers still output full frequency themselves (and I don't know if the A2+ changes that), if you don't know what that means you probably don't need (and might not care enough) to worry about it. Basically it'll sound fine most likely, but it could sound better.

I know what that means, but yeah if the A2+ doesn't do it differently then the A2 seems fine. I only need to be plugging my headphones in somewhere and I can continue doing that on the front of my case.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

japtor posted:

Just double check stuff to be sure, I'm going off of memory of when I researched the A2s way back and more or less what I heard about A2+S when those came out.

I was gonna suggest their refurb section for the A2s but looks like those are gone completely, but they list the A2+ at $199 at least. Out of stock but if it's like when I got my A2s they'll hopefully go in/out of stock regularly enough to snag it without waiting too long.

Yeah I have that site open, but I have no idea when they would come back.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I got some A2+ of the refurb site a couple of hours ago in case anyone else was checking their stock regularly.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I think refurbishment generally means they remove cosmetic issues. Well at least with computers because it's the cheap plastic on the outside, so maybe it's different here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My black refurbished A2+ are flawless physically and sound great. Definitely boomy like people have mentioned. I ordered some rubber doorstops like was recommended, but turns out they're plastic so I'm sending them back. Just have them angled on post it notes right now.