Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Long, long ago, Jade named a consort YiffYiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

BobDoleTrasher posted:

Well, yes. I was just doing the cuck thing.

trolls are pretty polygamous so thats probably not even a thing in The New Culture

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Oh, SiIvaGunner. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvwNbkYvKZo

TinTower fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 17, 2020

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

A while back, the King's theme part of Rex Duodecim Angelus popped into my head, and for a good few hours I absolutely could not place where it was from. I was picturing a boss intro sequence from some 16-bit video game.

Then it hit me, and I remembered the fan animation that went with it, and realized that oh right, that's why I was thinking along those lines.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dolash posted:

Reading Dave wondering if Obama would've fixed the economy is doing weird things to my brain

LOL

A year later even more so XD

Just finally remembered there was an epilogue and read it, Meat first. Candy was the better, but Meat made me laugh more. Both are necessary. Surprisingly good poo poo for as far up his own metatextual rear end Hussie climbed for this.

Happy as gently caress Aradia got a full on corpse party

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Bilirubin posted:

Candy was the better,

I try not to put too much stock in other people sharing my opinions in order for them to be valid, but it IS nice to not be alone in this thread anymore

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 26, 2020

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
id say exactly half of meat is better than candy, specifically karkat running for president, but everything involving john floating in a total void overstayed its welcome. so its kind of a wash.

e. Homestuck: Kind of a Wash, Really

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bilirubin posted:

Happy as gently caress Aradia got a full on corpse party
Same.

By the way, did you know that there's now Homestuck^2, and it's overall more cheerful and funnier than the Epilogues? Also the Hiveswap Friendsim and Pesterquest games are good fun; Pesterquest in particular, because you get to visit the kids before Sburb starts, back in Acts 1-3 but different.
homestuck2.com

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Okay but John and Terezi in the void was the best moment of the epilogues.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Upd8, and it's hilarious.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Ah, the strife specibus and kind abstrata, my old pals.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Upd8, and it's hilarious.

quote:

REPORTER 2: ...outfits could at best be described as only moderately fashionable...

HARRY: (oh god oh god oh god)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

He should have gone for fancysantakind, the deadliest kind of all.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

its been so long. but i still have the gif

this update is probably the closest Homestuck 2's felt to like, the peak original Homestuck? It's super funny, fast-paced, SUPER weird in amazing ways, Vriska, and even had some characters getting reunited. The new kids are great, the adults are fun, and I am absolutely dying to meet Yiffany.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

They're such disasters, I love them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm glad Jade got to have a daughter, even if she sucks and coming up with names.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought it was pretty good up until the twist in the last segment, which, honestly, just reminded me of why I couldn't stand the Candy timeline in the original epilogues. Homestuck's always been silly and weird, but Rose not telling Kanaya about this whole thing and then raising a secret child for fifteen years feels manufactured and purposeless. Like, what was her motivation to lie to her wife about this? It isn't clear, and the story isn't asking.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Apparently Yiffy can be 100% blamed on Hussie.

:allears:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Apparently Yiffy can be 100% blamed on Hussie.

:allears:

That sounds totally right to me, it reminds me of the stuff in the Cursed Canon where it's just "what's the wildest, stupidest thing that could be true about these characters".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
And so, the "is Jade trans or is she just a cis lady with a dog dick" discourse continues.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Android Blues posted:

I thought it was pretty good up until the twist in the last segment, which, honestly, just reminded me of why I couldn't stand the Candy timeline in the original epilogues. Homestuck's always been silly and weird, but Rose not telling Kanaya about this whole thing and then raising a secret child for fifteen years feels manufactured and purposeless. Like, what was her motivation to lie to her wife about this? It isn't clear, and the story isn't asking.

She does say, though: it got out of hand and she was embarrassed.

It's just a completely ridiculous reason.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Well, at first you're just keeping it secret because this is all new and you don't want more drama while you're already dealing with what might have been a terrible mistake. And then the longer it goes on the harder it is to admit that you named your secret daughter Yiffany Longstocking!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

By the way, did you know that there's now Homestuck^2, and it's overall more cheerful and funnier than the Epilogues?
homestuck2.com

I did! That reprobate GunnarJ, what got me reading Homestuck originally (leading to this thread, leading to me finally giving Lowtax my :10bux: after all these years) mentioned it. That is in fact what reminded me of the Epilogues. Now that I think about it, he also got me reading K6BD. :owned:

Well, so far he hasn't infected me with JoJO. :negative:

eta: no, it was Attack on Titan not K6BD. That was TimNielson

eeta: no gently caress Tim was gunnerkirgg, it was GJ gently caress

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 28, 2020

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Lol

Watch jojo, dummy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

FU YOURE NOT MY DAD

anyway it any good? HS2 that is, not JoJo

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Okay, so, not a dog smuppet.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Guess I spoke too soon about HS2 making the Candy universe more palatable.

This is horrible, awful writing; especially reading it as a trans woman. Nothing justifies this horseshit development.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

anyway it any good? HS2 that is, not JoJo

There's an easy way to find out for yourself!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
And then vriska screamed valiantly in bravado (epic) and owned the bad guys without even trying becauae shes so badass and says nothing personal she barely gets a scratch on and shes so cool every other character is awestruck!!!

This was embarrassing to read

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
She's not even the best Serket, agreed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ArfJason posted:

And then vriska screamed valiantly in bravado (epic) and owned the bad guys without even trying becauae shes so badass and says nothing personal she barely gets a scratch on and shes so cool every other character is awestruck!!!

This was embarrassing to read

I mean...

"Vriska brutally maims several noncombatants who were not actually attacking her, impressing the hell out of several teenagers, while also brutally sabotaging the long-term interests of her theoretical allies," is not exactly a material change in her demeanor or capabilities.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Come on, the way she tries to insert herself between John and Harry Anderson and he just totally sidelines her was funny and in-character.

Harry Anderson best new kid. Can't wait to see him alchemize crazy scissors.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Should have named Yiffy Armin Tamzarian tbh :/

Oh well. I was getting too used to updates I liked anyway.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 28, 2020

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The main logical issue is not so much the fact that the secret was kept for so long, but the fact that Rose cheated on Kanaya, but not in that she had an affair, in that one of her friends asked her to be a surrogate and she was like, "okay, but we can't tell my wife or any of our friends and also the child must be a secret". That part roots from nothing and there's no proffered explanation for it, even a figleaf.

Like, if Rose cheated on Kanaya because she was having a fling with Jade and a child came out of it, that would make some amount of sense. The idea of keeping a passionless surrogacy arrangement a secret is bonkers, especially since Kanaya doesn't give a poo poo and would definitely have said yes to Jade's request.

This also means that in the early chapters of Candy when Jade was trying to make things happen with Dave and Karkat, she already had a daughter. When she was...outright expressing her sadness about not being able to conceive in Candy, she already had a daughter. When she married Dave, same deal. It's not just that it's silly: it's that it doesn't make a lot of sense with the previously established events of the story.

I guess that's kind of intrinsic to the idea behind the Candy timeline, though? Everything is weird and stupid and insubstantial there. So it makes sense insofar as that's true, but I'm super disinterested in reading fiction about a universe where characters are hokey and events don't follow from one another.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ah hello again old friend

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Even as stupid and meaningless as the Candy timeline is, naming a kid "Yiffany Longstocking" when one of her moms is a dog girl sounds horribly shortsighted and ripe for abuse. It's kind of mean, coming from Jade? She wanted a daughter so bad, but couldn't help but make it an ironic furry sex joke. That girl has to live with a name like that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

JOHN: so where's dave?

hoo boy now that there is one hell of a question

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sailor Dave posted:

Even as stupid and meaningless as the Candy timeline is, naming a kid "Yiffany Longstocking" when one of her moms is a dog girl sounds horribly shortsighted and ripe for abuse. It's kind of mean, coming from Jade? She wanted a daughter so bad, but couldn't help but make it an ironic furry sex joke. That girl has to live with a name like that.

Tbf, this whole plot development is the tail wagging the dog, with the tail being "what is the most absurd, intentionally insane thing that could happen in the story" and the dog being "the established characterisation of Rose and Jade".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

There's an easy way to find out for yourself!

OKok like 6 pages in so far and I'm delighted to see the pony friends book referenced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

The implication is also that for 15 years Yiffy was left out of family gatherings from both of her mothers, including Jade's wedding, solely because they were too embarrassed by the name

Yeah this fuckin' sucks and I absolutely stand by my Armin Tamzarian comparison.