Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It'll be interesting to see how music is tackled now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Seems like the payoff was Davebot getting out of his funk, at least a lil bit.

In other news, Davebot appears to be back in the closet, which is... interesting? I mean, the whole Ultimate Self concept was obviously bullshit from the beginning, but here we have an Ultimate Dave who refuses to be identified with a huge, major branch of Daves.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

In other news, Davebot appears to be back in the closet, which is... interesting? I mean, the whole Ultimate Self concept was obviously bullshit from the beginning, but here we have an Ultimate Dave who refuses to be identified with a huge, major branch of Daves.

I think this is interesting because Ultimate Selves as presented in the Epilogues are "aware of everything including the fact that they're characters in a story", and this is generally presented as holistic knowledge if not necessarily good knowledge. They're enlightened, which winds up making them unpleasant to be around, but their knowledge of the story and their role in it is fairly complete.

This is a bit of a different take, and maybe a more interesting one. The implication here is that the alpha timeline Dave we know and love is one of very few who came to terms with his sexuality. Most Daves are closeted, so Ultimate Dave reflects that. It's less that he's an enlightened compilation of all his selves and more like he's the mean average of all his selves, and most of his selves are thirteen year olds who died in Act 3 - Act 5 after time travelling without a closed loop.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s basically a commentary on the nature of a character and multiple iterations of that characters. Like, Sherlock Holmes isn’t the sum of every iteration of the character. That would invariably lead to contradictions.

Does Dirk desire Ultimate Self bullshit because he’s fatigued by multiple versions of himself? He’s a control freak that can’t abide insufficiently Dirk-ish Dirks? A shot at the fans of an IP who can’t handle new spins on beloved franchises? Stay tuned, or don’t.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Android Blues posted:

This is a bit of a different take, and maybe a more interesting one. The implication here is that the alpha timeline Dave we know and love is one of very few who came to terms with his sexuality. Most Daves are closeted, so Ultimate Dave reflects that. It's less that he's an enlightened compilation of all his selves and more like he's the mean average of all his selves, and most of his selves are thirteen year olds who died in Act 3 - Act 5 after time travelling without a closed loop.

This is reminding me that I've always found it interesting that Roxy's expressed gender identity differs between the Meat and Candy timelines.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Pants Donkey posted:

There is talk of an EP for the first four volumes of the Homestuck Soundtrack.

If there ends up being a Homestuck release on vinyl, I'd hope it's a "best of" tracklist pulling from the whole discography. Way too many great songs to be wasting space with like 8 different Harlequin and Showtime remixes

slimetimez
Jan 4, 2024
Finally got around to reading the new team's updates to HS^2, and uh, I kind of love it? John and Sollux's conversation is funny as hell. Kind of exciting to see where it goes from here, especially with the SAHCon support- makes me curious to see where the team and community can go from here.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don’t really follow it, but Vast Error got a Homestuck license? So it’s official?

Hussie really keeping us on our toes. God, is this part of a master plan to make all fantrolls canon? YOU could very well get a license enshrining Pepwad Beefer into Homestuck.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
What is Vast Error? I could look it up but I would rather get informed from a The Something Awful Forums Homestuck Thread Poster.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think it was the rewrite of the Homestuck ending?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Not that at all. Very high production value fanventure that echoes Homestuck without sharing any characters/worldbuilding (beyond vague stuff like the existence of trolls). I don't read it but it seems fun, apparently Troll Weird Al Yankovich is the main villain

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I've been giving Vast Error a try recently. Some of the art is gorgeous, but it wasn't really for me. It takes a really long time to get where it's going, and unlike Homestuck, the diversions on the way aren't that interesting. It's really self-serious, and the characters tend to spend a lot of time moodily navelgazing while disliking each other.

It wears its inspirations on its sleeve, though. Most of the comic is like, "hey, remember Hivebent? What if we got really, really granular on that portion of the narrative and zoomed in 500% at the expense of pacing?" It's full of stuff like the "Vriska killed Aradia" twist in Hivebent, except Hivebent was like 200 pages long and Vast Error is 2000 and it never shows you these events actually happening, it just alludes to the fact that they did happen by having its trolls passively sulk at each other.

Also you spend a lot of time with Discount Doc Scratch narrating at you and it's really not very sufferable. That all said, that's what I felt about it, I can recognise at the same time there's real artistry, craft and care there.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Android Blues posted:

I've been giving Vast Error a try recently. Some of the art is gorgeous, but it wasn't really for me. It takes a really long time to get where it's going, and unlike Homestuck, the diversions on the way aren't that interesting. It's really self-serious, and the characters tend to spend a lot of time moodily navelgazing while disliking each other.

It wears its inspirations on its sleeve, though. Most of the comic is like, "hey, remember Hivebent? What if we got really, really granular on that portion of the narrative and zoomed in 500% at the expense of pacing?" It's full of stuff like the "Vriska killed Aradia" twist in Hivebent, except Hivebent was like 200 pages long and Vast Error is 2000 and it never shows you these events actually happening, it just alludes to the fact that they did happen by having its trolls passively sulk at each other.

Also you spend a lot of time with Discount Doc Scratch narrating at you and it's really not very sufferable. That all said, that's what I felt about it, I can recognise at the same time there's real artistry, craft and care there.

the first paragraph here is spot on. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, the sound pages and the art rule, there's been some moments that really worked for me, but there's just a bit too much setup that hasn't felt like it really paid off. maybe a consequence of having read a ton of it very quickly a handful of years ago...?

the friendsim style VN is very cool and hit for me more than the main comic, fills in a bunch of character and world background stuff in, written with some detective noir vibe splashed into the mix and centered around a smaller group of characters.

the intermission Rules, like, a lot. the dead shufflers are just spades slicks gang but with extra like, vaporwave Elvis vibes. the album centering around it rules. honestly all the vast error albums I've heard have gone kind of hard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hell yeah captchalogue.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Boy, coming into this from not having read any of the previous post-ending stuff is a bit of a turnaround.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something is "off" about HS^2 in a way that bugs me that I can't quite put my finger on. Like there's this certain element of "the fans who are now writing it putting in stuff that they think would make them happy/excited as fans." Like "it'd be cute/funny if this character said this..." Hard to explain.

"Flanderization" is the term that first comes to mind, but that's not quite right either, because it's more like characters have certain elements exaggerated while others are diminished, rather than just "boiling characters down to fewer elements."

edit: It could maybe be described as a sort of indulgence...like the audience is constantly being fed appealing interactions in a way that doesn't feel entirely "organic."

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

edit: It could maybe be described as a sort of indulgence...like the audience is constantly being fed appealing interactions in a way that doesn't feel entirely "organic."

It’s a very weird decision to focus on delivering these interactions instead of moving the story forward. I would’ve forgiven the iffy zoomer-ish dialogue if it came with ambitions to tell a cool story again instead of getting bogged down in the same half-dozen plot threads the original writing crew got tangled up in.

Why have all these Homestuck fans forgotten all the tools Hussie left behind? Skip around in time, shift to a new perspective, invent a whole new thing. They could’ve just done a hard cut to the first “intermission” or whatever—it was a fine place in the story to cut away to a new point in the timeline and then go back, for example.

Instead, you’re right that it just feels like indulging. Sollux is back! Aradia and Davebot talk about time! John and Vriska are reunited! Etc. I have my complaints about HS^2, but at least it felt like its authors had an ambitious story in mind with interesting things to say. The HSBC era hasn’t given me that vibe at all yet, though I’ll probably keep reading to see if it ever develops an ideology beyond “we want these characters to keep existing.”

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, what is the story at this point, if not these kids interacting and establishing their personalities?

I feel like they're going to have way more problems simply because Homestuck built its brand around lots and lots of updates, and these guys are only managing one brief upd8 every sweep.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, what is the story at this point, if not these kids interacting and establishing their personalities?

I feel like they're going to have way more problems simply because Homestuck built its brand around lots and lots of updates, and these guys are only managing one brief upd8 every sweep.

I think it's less about the overarching story so much as "the specific events happening" + other elements like humor. A good example is stuff like the intermissions rko mentioned.

It's kind of like if you boiled Homestuck down to only the things that got many of the fans invested (interpersonal stuff and certain types of plot events, like the ones involving the powers). And those things are fine, but there were also other things there.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The latest update just did nothing but talk about things that already happened. The reader is in the loop but the character isn't. And it just goes on and on with this perspective. What I think HS^2 is lacking is brevity. I think that comes from Hussie's experience with making comic books and trying to focus on each page having a specific purpose, given the limited amount of pages he had to work with. Even from an archival perspective (reading through the series only when it's complete), most of the last update would feel like "filler".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My biggest gripe is very easy missed opportunities for characters to display growth and change. Like, Vriska coming out all "none of this matters because this timeline isn't real!" and John just goes" wow, vriska, that is so crazy that you would think that."

John just spent most of the last twenty years thinking that!!! There's been whole scenes in the epilogues and hs^2 mk1 about coming to grips with being wrong about that!!! He should have something to loving say on the matter. Even if Vriska's response would be just to ignore it and bulldoze ahead anyway, like, he would try and say something about it, right?

Not to say "oh blurp theyre ruining homestuck irredeemable terrible writers", that's what caused all the nightmare poo poo with the first writing team, death threats, etc. Myabe it'll get better once the story's had more time to get on its feet. I just... I feel like that's a juicy thread I would have picked up on, and I don't consider myself a writer, so I find it strange that the folks who do, aren't.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Upd8, and a big one.

Today we find out what happens when Kanaya Maryam stops being polite and starts being real.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

KANAYA: You hosed My Wife

loving lol

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Ah, we're still doing this then are we. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" my rear end, I still hate this entire concept. Alas.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Ah, we're still doing this then are we. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" my rear end, I still hate this entire concept. Alas.

It will never be funny, interesting, or good. They are trying their damnedest to make a silk purse from this sow's ear, but it still looks awfully hoggy.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, I tell a lie, it's kind of funny. But I just think you'd need a truly heroic effort to make this storyline interesting, and a deep dive on the psychology of the adults in the room helps a bit, but not that much. It'd be better if we just saw Yiffy doing something with stakes and got to know her that way. Once you like a character, their backstory kind of excuses itself.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Android Blues posted:

They are trying their damnedest to make a silk purse from this sow's ear, but it still looks awfully hoggy.

Introducing us to Yiffy(‘s perspective, she’s still not allowed to say things out loud) only to cut back to an uncomfortable argument where characters we used to like have to try and justify a bizarre fanfic plotline is a decision that baffles me. Why would you tell the story by literally giving us round two of the worst scene from the first attempt to tell this story? And then it ends with Kanaya and Rose agreeing they’re not even done arguing, after Jade gives the saddest possible reason to have a baby as the motivation for all this.

I get that they probably felt like they had to Address The Controversy or whatever, but that is definitely not how I would’ve gone for sewing up that purse, dang.

Also is Jade carrying around Dave’s corpse he left behind after becoming Davebot? It’s not clear to me who else that’d be in the card we see.

smug pedant
Feb 15, 2020

by sebmojo
I searched looking for this thread on Google and found something thoughts?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnglishPumpkinParty/s/WrOFFUKrnv

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnglishPumpkinParty/search/?q=Something%20awful&restrict_sr=1

smug pedant fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 17, 2024

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

who care

smug pedant
Feb 15, 2020

by sebmojo

GunnerJ posted:

who care

I was looking for an excuse to complain about it

smug pedant fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 17, 2024

smug pedant
Feb 15, 2020

by sebmojo
Hey didn't James say he was gonna retcon the whole Jade Yiffy backstory what happened with that?

also, i discovered something:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

smug pedant fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 17, 2024

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

smug pedant posted:

Hey didn't James say he was gonna retcon the whole Jade Yiffy backstory what happened with that?

The "mandate" to have this character is doing incredible damage to the story, not even because the character herself is bad (she seems like she could be fun if she actually gets to do stuff) but because a bunch of narrative time is being spent dwelling on the absurd premise, trying to either justify it or work out authorial resentment at having to implement it. Retconning it now may be removing a tumor after it's become too intertwined with healthy organs for the patient to survive.

smug pedant
Feb 15, 2020

by sebmojo

Anyone know about this?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I recommend logging off and taking a break for a few days. Or if you won’t do that, going back to Reddit. There are plenty of deep dive conspiracy theories that turn out to be true, but most of those you can tell by the impeccable level of sourcing and verifiable references.

smug pedant
Feb 15, 2020

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

I recommend logging off and taking a break for a few days. Or if you won’t do that, going back to Reddit. There are plenty of deep dive conspiracy theories that turn out to be true, but most of those you can tell by the impeccable level of sourcing and verifiable references.

I'm confused too do you have proof that this isn't true?

it doesn't seem like a conspiracy theory to me the proof is all there

smug pedant fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 17, 2024

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What they’re saying is that you’re overly invested in years-old drama, and your posts contribute nothing but dredging up poo poo that’s been discussed to death already.

Or you’re trying to troll a largely dead thread, which is also weird.

smug pedant
Feb 15, 2020

by sebmojo

Pants Donkey posted:

What they’re saying is that you’re overly invested in years-old drama, and your posts contribute nothing but dredging up poo poo that’s been discussed to death already.

I don't think it was ever mentioned that Hussie hired a creepy stalker as the Unity engineer who then proceeded to smash the whole studio after being rejected and that's why what pumpkin NYC closed down so suddenly and the 3d version got canceled and the remaining Kickstarter money going with it I was one of the people that contributed to it back in the day when I was like 13 this was new info to me.

smug pedant fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 17, 2024

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Stop trying to drum up content for your weird fascist subreddit, no one gives a poo poo.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

posting some poo poo nobody cares about and then emptyquoting quoting yourself twenty minutes later

embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Best thing to do about these kinds of obvious baiting posts is just to report it and move on.

Wish I could also do that for HS^2. I didn't think it was possible to be worse than the last one, but they did it again. Even threw in a really strained Maniac Mansion reference.