Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Well, as long as I'm near a computer at the time the flash appears then I'll be fine. Can you believe I have only one computer?! Truly I need to have at least 5 on me at any time, like a sane person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I am still kind of holding on for a bubble breakout. It would fit with the theme of death being not in any way final in MSPA.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think a bubble breakout might happen (they creep me out but more importantly they just don't seem like "final resting place" territory), but probably not yet. We still might lose a troll or two, and if there's a breakout it's basically got to be the last big life/death mix-up before the end since we don't want to have to introduce and consider some new afterlife system. Kind of like how after the last big breakout from death in Problem Sleuth they stopped happening.

My guess is it'll happen as part of the ramp-up toward fighting Lord English himself. Someone, possibly Aradia, will come up with a way to retrieve the dead players to help in the final battle, but it's anyone's guess if after that they move on to their final resting places or actually come back to life.

It's also a really good chance for everyone to work out their issues, particularly fairly two-dimensional characters whose arcs ended in failure (like Nepeta, Equius, Tavros).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As long as we're speculating, I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and say that we'll probably see this again. Dunno if it's been pointed out before, but since frogs = universes, that gadget I think represents some sort of interdimensional shift, operated by WQ's Skaia key.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm really hoping that it's mostly animation. I was never really sold on the Hive Bent RPG stuff, since it was a lot of text, punctuated by occasional bits walking around.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I really want to see Karkat go God Tier and send Terezi into a sensory fit over his candy red wings.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Also I bet the flash is going to be named [S]cratch or at least [S] John: Scratch.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Everything is going to go horribly, horribly wrong.

Quest Jefferson
Mar 27, 2010

Fucknag posted:

As long as we're speculating, I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and say that we'll probably see this again. Dunno if it's been pointed out before, but since frogs = universes, that gadget I think represents some sort of interdimensional shift, operated by WQ's Skaia key.

Maybe you put another frog on the blue panel and flip the switch, and it overwrites the current universe's frog template with the one provided. How the kids get a complete frog to the Exiles is its own problem, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fiction posted:

I am still kind of holding on for a bubble breakout. It would fit with the theme of death being not in any way final in MSPA.

The one thing that kills the bubble breakout idea for me is that, narratively speaking, there's a pretty strong sense of finality to Vriska's current disposition in particular; her case was wrapped up very, very neatly and bringing her back now would undo that. Then again, I suppose if there was a mass breakout and she deliberately chose to stay behind and face the consequences of her actions for once that would possibly be an even nicer capstone for her character arc.

Still, I wouldn't really expect any breakout before the epilogue, simply because I doubt Act 6 is going to have any room to do anything with a bunch of extra background characters.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

The one thing that kills the bubble breakout idea for me is that, narratively speaking, there's a pretty strong sense of finality to Vriska's current disposition in particular; her case was wrapped up very, very neatly and bringing her back now would undo that. Then again, I suppose if there was a mass breakout and she deliberately chose to stay behind and face the consequences of her actions for once that would possibly be an even nicer capstone for her character arc.

Still, I wouldn't really expect any breakout before the epilogue, simply because I doubt Act 6 is going to have any room to do anything with a bunch of extra background characters.

I think a Bubble Breakout could work in a temporary capacity, with the dead assisting in events around the Green Sun, but not being able to move on with the living to what remains.

Also, I don't think any of you appreciate the true scope of a bubble breakout. We've seen characters from doomed timelines in the bubbles, like John. This implies that every dead player from every timeline is out there. Now, count how many Aradiabots were in the battle with the Black King.

That is a lot of trolls.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So what's the over-under on the Flash featuring Fedorafreak achieving God-Tier? I have no idea what to expect from this guy any more.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Vateke posted:

I think a Bubble Breakout could work in a temporary capacity, with the dead assisting in events around the Green Sun, but not being able to move on with the living to what remains.

Also, I don't think any of you appreciate the true scope of a bubble breakout. We've seen characters from doomed timelines in the bubbles, like John. This implies that every dead player from every timeline is out there. Now, count how many Aradiabots were in the battle with the Black King.

That is a lot of trolls.

A lot of troll(bot)s who would presumably still be doomed to die.

For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if paradox space applied the same rules to alpha-timeline dream bubble escapees--there don't seem to be any insurmountable physical barriers keeping them there, but since they're "supposed" to be dead it would make sense if the universe conspired to keep them that way. That covers your temporary breakout, I think.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

The finality is kind of undercut by Doc Scratch's inability to say for certain what Vriska's fate will be. Which is weird considering she died during his stint as the narrator. Mostly I feel like I'm getting headfaked here, and I'm dying to know exactly how much the audience is getting hosed with.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For me, the one issue with Dreambubble prison break is, where does the line stop? The Furthest Ring exists 'outside of time' or whatever, and has been seen to contain the dead and dreaming from people in alternate timelines from different sessions simultaneously. There's probably more than trolls and humans. If Lord English has been doin' his thing for a while now, there could be countless instances of dead players across existence. What about the dudes who made the troll universe? Or the players who made them? It could be an infinite fractal of dead players in there.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

YggiDee posted:

So what's the over-under on the Flash featuring Fedorafreak achieving God-Tier? I have no idea what to expect from this guy any more.

I maintain my firm belief that either WV or FedoraFreak become Lord English via time shenanigans.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tuesday cannot come fast enough

because gently caress all Mondays.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Done. Problem Sleuth was incredible.

But there's still one day left. :sbahj:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
/\/\/\/\/\
Please tell me you're not going to try to marathon Homestuck in one day. In that way lies madness.

To celebrate the coming Tuesday, I come bearing a gift!

This was so much fun.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Please tell me you're not going to try to marathon Homestuck in one day. In that way lies madness.

Hmm. Do THIS, or restart my lost Dark Souls character...

Meh. I'll just play Bathearst: Arkham City.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Vateke posted:

That is a lot of trolls.

I don't really think we can consider it confirmed that beta-timeline people get dreambubbles though- The Aradia-bot had already re-entered the alpha timeline, and we don't really know how beta-John died, or his deal with Typhus. It's entirely possible that part of the deal was that Typhus would send beta-John back to the Alpha timeline where he would do... something, before dying (likely in the great green blaze).

Anyways I am totally excited about this I don't even know. Too bad I have a midterm Tuesday and another Wednesday...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Where the heck is this dreambubble breakout theory coming from? It's not something I've particularly seen in the comic, except for Sollux possibly leaving a bubble. But he's kind of a special case.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Where the heck is this dreambubble breakout theory coming from? It's not something I've particularly seen in the comic, except for Sollux possibly leaving a bubble. But he's kind of a special case.

All the dead players are in dream bubbles within the Furthest Ring. So if you could navigate through the Furthest Ring (with the help of your Heroes of Space and Time), you could find these dream bubbles and spring your fellow players from them.

There's nothing that actually suggests that this will happen besides 1. that all these dead characters are in the Furthest Ring, 2. that all our living heroes will travel through the Furthest Ring at some point, and 3. that some fans want to see their favorite dead trolls alive again.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

some fans want to see their favorite dead trolls alive again.

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think it sprung up around the time when Aradia began exploring the dreambubbles. It implies (to me, anyway) that the afterlife is an actual physical location. While the dead may be unable to navigate them on their own, it's not necessarily out of the question that someone else could guide them out. Given how much of Homestuck is about trying to "break" Sburb, an army of dead ex-players makes about as much sense as anything else does.

North of Gravity
Jun 30, 2007

did y0u pr0gram this r0b0t t0 have feelings f0r y0u?
R0MANTIC FEELINGS???

D --> Is that not ok

To celebrate the coming Tuesday, I come bearing a gift!

This was so much fun.

This is rad as hell.

Anyway, I'm not sure if a dreambubble breakout is even possible given how much of an effort Hussie's gone to to hammer home the fact that certain characters are, in fact, dead. But it's Hussie, so who even knows.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

[...] fans want to see their favorite dead trolls alive again.

Hey, don't tell me you don't want to see Equius again :arghfist::mad:

also nice musics as always

Is that influences from the Jaws theme I hear?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 24, 2011

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Something to note:

Andrew Hussie's girlfriend revealed that the flash was about 3 minutes in length at 35%. That might mean we're looking at an ~8 minute flash.

Unless she was trolling.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Saradiart posted:

Something to note:

Andrew Hussie's girlfriend revealed that the flash was about 3 minutes in length at 35%. That might mean we're looking at an ~8 minute flash.

Unless she was trolling.

I remember reading that it's 10 minutes and 25 seconds long

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Eox posted:

I remember reading that it's 10 minutes and 25 seconds long
6 hours and 53 minutes.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I'm thinking the dead are gonna stay dead. It's not like they can't contribute with dialog and such. They're downright talkative in spite of the whole dead thing. Besides when the prize you're going for is literally an entire universe it would be a little too tidy imo for everyone to come back alive and share the spoils.

But if that's what happens I'll roll with it. I'll accept whatever happens so long as DD stays alive. He is the best character.

The flash should be pretty crazy. I think it was either Tensei or Radiation who posted in the last thread and also hinted it would be crazy long. Should be good regardless. :munch:

Legislacerator
Dec 26, 2006

1 W1LL H4V3 ORD3R 1N TH1S RUMPUSBLOCK!
:ohdear:

and thats all there really is to say on the matter

(I AM SO NOT EVEN NOT READY, YOU GUYS)

Legislacerator fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 24, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Seoinin posted:

Everything is going to go horribly, horribly wrong.

This is a dead certainty. Things will go horribly wrong in the most wonderfully confusing and complicated way possible.

I'm also down for thinking there will be no real bubble breakout. Not unless we want to see Act 6 go way long, or the situation gets so crazy that the introduction of a potentially unlimited number of side characters represents a footnote at best.

If it DOES happen, I'd say it will be after the climax of the story rather than before it, in the form of a universal reset that lets everybody start anew, forgiveness all around, good times for everybody. Kinda hoping it doesn't go that way though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My biggest complaint is that I can't get to MSPA from work, which means that I won't be able to see it until I get home.

I'm going to have to wait all day to see God-Tier Karkat. :(

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Tollymain posted:

also nice musics as always

Is that influences from the Jaws theme I hear?

I totally wasn't thinking about Jaws when I was working on this, but I guess any menacing strings ostinato will end up sounding like Jaws.

Come to think of it, Lord English is kind of like a cosmic, atemporal, metauniversal Jaws.
edit: I'm not going to continue this analogy because I haven't actually seen Jaws before

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Pretentious Owl
Mar 31, 2011

EB: it is true, it is a fact from an alien.

Evil Mastermind posted:

My biggest complaint is that I can't get to MSPA from work, which means that I won't be able to see it until I get home.

I'm going to have to wait all day to see God-Tier Karkat. :(

I was actually happy to learn that I have Tuesday off this week.

This flash is going to have so much information in it, this thread is going to explode. There's no way everything's going to go right, and there's no way there's not going to be ambiguous stuff in the flash. I wonder how soon after the flash he's going to resume his "normal" update schedule?

Personal prediction: Dave's gonna die in the flash. He has such issues with mortality and was last seen flying off to do something heroic for Rose.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

edit: I'm not going to continue this analogy because I haven't actually seen Jaws before

me neither

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Man, I also tried to celebrate the end of Act 5 with a bit of music myself, but it's nowhere near the level of quality of WMM's, as I literally started making music less than 2 months ago and I'm like, still in high school. Anyway here it is I guess.

Direct link

It's supposed to be a theme for the Land of Brains and Fire, but maybe Sollux as a whole, I dunno.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 24, 2011

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
What the gently caress? Go watch Jaws, you hacks. It's a legitimately good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Do you think the Ancestors are going to show up at all?

I would pretty much love a Handmaid vs. Condesce showdown.