Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Everything is going to go horribly, horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

The one thing that kills the bubble breakout idea for me is that, narratively speaking, there's a pretty strong sense of finality to Vriska's current disposition in particular; her case was wrapped up very, very neatly and bringing her back now would undo that. Then again, I suppose if there was a mass breakout and she deliberately chose to stay behind and face the consequences of her actions for once that would possibly be an even nicer capstone for her character arc.

Still, I wouldn't really expect any breakout before the epilogue, simply because I doubt Act 6 is going to have any room to do anything with a bunch of extra background characters.
The finality is kind of undercut by Doc Scratch's inability to say for certain what Vriska's fate will be. Which is weird considering she died during his stint as the narrator. Mostly I feel like I'm getting headfaked here, and I'm dying to know exactly how much the audience is getting hosed with.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It'd be pretty amusing if Hussie's attempts at dropping the flash on a significant date are stymied by being Too Big for the Internet.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

Hate to burst your bubble, but they'll probably just burst her bubble. Death and rebirth are being handed out like cheap cigars these days. Case in point: This update saw no less than 9 deaths and no more than 3 rebirths. Plus two entire universes kind of exploded. There isn't much that is impossible in Homestuck.
We've maybe (maybe??) got an emergency back-up Vriska flitting around in another timeline somewhere. Conveniently dressed in an Ancestral getup that parallels Terezi's, so everyone can go "oic, symbolism. hrmery". Always pack a spare, folks.

Anyway, hot drat was that ever worth a two month wait. Vaya con dios, DD. you were the snazziest sociopath to ever shoa his stabbs.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So what are the odds we're going to focus on the scratch-session kids now for a while before the original cast comes crashing in after a bunch of shenanigans that we aren't privy to?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Holy poo poo, that Even in Death remix...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

VJeff posted:

I think it's partially because the look she has when Rose and Dave come out of the meteor is a little :smug: and sinister-looking, and partially because of what we just learned regarding her ancestor and her role as a servant of Lord English.

Basically, we're scared that Aradia, Dave and Rose might now be chumps for Lord English. I sorta doubt that, I more think that Lord English might use TIME CLONES of the dead trolls and guardians or whatever at some point, though.
Dave and Rose, nah. Aradia, mmmaaaybe. Playing with the whole relationship btwn the trolls and their Ancestors, you could interpret her as defying the Handmaid's fate by resisting Lord English. Or maybe serving him willingly, whereas the Handmaid had to be coerced.

Even if she is working for English, it seems likely it's less of a mustache-twirling thing, muahaha now I shall rule the universe!!, and more of a fatalism thing. All is entropy, decay of closed systems is certain, escape shall make her god, etc etc.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Radiation posted:

Also, why would Andrew edit Aradia's expression to make her smug? And why would he do the Ancestors background with the handmaid beforehand? Sollux's ancestry was directly paralleled in the flash. It'd be hard to say there's no significance to it.

Anyway, that's my speculation on why I think she's probably a bad guy.
Was she edited to look smug? I only got a quick look on the lovely streaming version, but to me it just looked like she was doing that serene smile thing from when she first got to the green sun. Also, I wanna know some more about the Handmaid. She was present for every "watershed moment" in history, so let's see some of that poo poo! Aradia's relationship with Tavros suggests that there'd be something between the Handmaid and the Summoner at the very least.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Really liking this theory because the first time she mucked with the timeline (by killing John) we got Davesprite, so if Vriska knows what she's doing, this is very possible.
Best part about this theory is the character development potential. If Vriska felt like poo poo about killing Tavros, imagine how she feels about getting everyone killed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Morganman posted:

I know, it's always struck me as odd that I haven't heard the theory that he was totally dicking them over from day one louder than I have.
I kinda figured that it went without saying.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pleasant Friend posted:

Yeah, that poor boy seems to spend more time dying or getting grievously wounded than any other character. Though I'm eager to learn about the circumstances that got him to kill himself, I'm sure everyone will be devastated once they find out.
Well the facial bleeding suggests he's gonna die from the exertion needed to move the meteor. Kinda like how his ancestor bought the farmblock piloting the Empress's ship.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well if you're looking for things to go wrong, bear in mind that hitting God Tier immediately puts a character at risk. 'Cause, I mean, we've seen a Just death...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Gonna out myself as not being a huge fan of Do You Remem8er Me. The opening is just too AM adult contemporary for me.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Ahahaha, I just realized. John's trip through the fourth wall with Jade is the first time he's ever met her in person. Talk about a first impression.

"Hello John! Don't worry, I just teleported you across the universe. And I died but came back to life and also I am part dog. Now let's fly through a magic science dimension window while I juggle planets bark bark bark"
"Whoa hey hang on a second, take the wheel for me." *sticks head out window*

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bobulus posted:

^ I'd like to see the story switch entirely to "new game" mode, but have all these background gags and snippets that mean we know the old characters are still around, without the new characters realizing it. At least for a time.
This would be great. The new kids all standing around trying to figure out if the "H3H3H3H3 K4RK4T 1S TH1S YOU" chalk drawing is supposed to mean anything gamewise.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Is it sad that I only now realized why the alpha timeline is so immutable and deterministic? Scratch said that the alpha is the timeline containing his creation and death. And he only dies when the universe ends. And the universe only ends when the tumor explodes to ignite the green sun. And everything hinges on the green sun existing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

President Ark posted:

Pretty much any page where Dave starts going off on some weird thing only tangentially related to the matter at hand is amazing.
It's a tie between his first conversation with Tavros and that one with John where he's rambling about how trite it is for parents to not believe that their kid saw a monster. "'gently caress, a vampire! everyone get in the van!' father of the year, right there"

e: or, y'know, this frame right here

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 30, 2011

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

My favorite moment was probably when Future!Dave prototyped himself and became Davesprite, leading to two Daves who could then talk to each other. I remember thinking while reading that this was the greatest development in fiction ever.
"ask me anything go ahead ill give you a straight answer"
"why are we so loving awesome"
"thats the best loving question anybody ever asked"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

Not necessarily; Kanaya's tried to reason with Vriska before and it hasn't worked, and it's possible that Karkat's shooshing efforts may have been bolstered by his title as the Knight of Blood. From Greek medical humor theory we get the word "sanguine", which literally means "bloody" but which is more commonly used to describe a chill, content demeanor; maybe Karkat's Hero of Blood power is DOING THE SHOOSHY THING.
Kanaya didn't so much try to reason with her as nag her to clean up her room.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

It made her dream bubble scene particularly poignant, because it's perhaps the first time in the story that she's had to face consequences head on (apparently) without any way to weasel out of them.
I was nodding in agreement w/ your post and making little "mm-hmm" noises until this point right here. Vriska ain't owning up to poo poo in the dream bubbles. If anything she's just mildly irked that she got shivved like a total chump.
code:
AG: This sounds like Terezi's handiwork.
EB: i don't know. she didn't tell me her name.
EB: she was a blind troll. she made me this incredibly lovely map for me to follow!
AG: Yep. That's her.
AG: I guess she got 8oth of us then. Un8elieva8le.
EB: she tricked you too?
AG: Yes.
AG: Well, not tricked, so much as made a pointless coin flip and sta88ed me in the 8ack.
EB: wow. that's pretty cold blooded!
AG: Oh, sure. She was easily the most underhanded and villainous mem8er of our group. 
This, incidentally, is one of the reasons I think the beta timeline Vriska is going to be important: because that is a Vriska that's learned her actions have consequences.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Oh my God, the peg leg. The peg leg.

He's Skipper loving Plumbthroat.

So does that mean he's the one killing the horrorterrors? But aren't they outside the universe?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I get the impression that if Lord English wants something dead then its current orientation in space and time isn't going to help it much.
Yeah true, but killing off one of the elements of the process that creates new universes for him to consume seems really dumb on his part.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gizmotinker posted:

May I remind you that the Divine Comedy was history's most notable instance of Self-Insert Fiction?

http://www.cracked.com/article_19084_5-reasons-pop-culture-run-by-fan-fiction.html
"And then... and then I went and hung out with Virgil! Yeah!! And got to make fun of a guy who wouldn't let me marry his daughter! 'Cuz he was up to his neck in frozen poo poo and piss!!! TAKE THAT GIUSEPPI WHO'S LAUGHING NOW rear end in a top hat?!"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Waffnuffly posted:

Completely off-topic, but your avatar really makes me want to see a universe frog saying :frogout: Bonus points if it's to Lord English or somebody bad!
LE is a sanctioned element of the universal creation/ destruction cycle. :getin:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tollymain posted:

Here's another example:

Never noticed before now that Eridan's skunk hairdo highlights thing is in his blood color.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It's impressive his on-the-fly storytelling works as well as it does, but you have to admit it does lead to some pretty jumbled messes occasionally. He eventually teases out most of the necessary plot points, but until then things can get confusing.

e: And yeah, Cascade is a huge wodge of poo poo to figure out at first. Doesn't help that the thing is a quarter hour long and you can only skip certain chunks of it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Man, this ain't Gravity's Rainbow; there's a ton of poo poo you can just skim and not lose anything for having done so. Like the loving Tavros v. Gamzee rap battle - you're not missing any elusive narrative subtext by just giving it a once over and moving on.

e. or I mean maybe I did miss something important, but I'll never know because jokes about the miracles music video aren't funny anymore.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 10, 2011

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
LET ME TELL YOU MY OPINIONS W/R/T THE OPTIMAL HFCS DELIVERY VECTOR

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Whoa there, I think you will find that if you read the box covers of these fine snacks you will realize that they are made with real fruit. Honestly we should be feeding them to kids basically all the time.
I'm just jealous because I was that kid with the crunchy granola parents. Do you have any idea how weak my lunchtime bartering position was, all with a little baggie of unfrosted mini shredded wheats and an apple? Like walking into the NYSE with a sock full of nickels.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Im freaking out. Im literally rolling in my bed just loving up the covers. Just rolling and rolling and rolling and they used to be tucked but now theyre hosed. The covers are a mess, like a horde of herons came in looking for pots and pans in my bed. I just cant stand it. Im sitting here, gigglesqueeing and tweeting my futureships. Genderswap kids? Oh My loving God
Not me I'm mad as hell. Mad as all fr*ckin hell.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah I might peace out for a bit if this turns into a "HEY REMEMBER THE MAGIC CHEST HAHA GOOD TIMES MAN" thing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Mostly I'm just worried that there's going to be an auxiliary Doc Scratch for this universe and we're going to have to keep putting up with that shithead.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Anybody notice that Jake's bed sheet has the troll's Lususes on it?
And the x of Light logo. And he likes the cerulean ladies.

:crossarms:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Saradiart posted:

If Jake is evil, then X of Hope is just destined to be a twat.
Turnaround time on this "x is turning evil" thing has gotten amazing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

I hope we never see Bro speak.

I want him to communicate silently, expressing emotions through a head nod or gesture. Ironically. If we don't get to see at least third tier irony here I'm going to be extremely disappointed.
I hope he's just an earnest dude who really digs ventriloquism.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
50 billion questions, 49 billion of which were probably variations on if fat pantskat got tiger with nic cage, how would they type with boxing gloves on

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Obviously we're looking at a kinder, gen(cease reproduction)tler Condesce.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Hahaha. I'm betting this means Betty Crocker is still an evil genocidal alien tyrant.
No, you're just being para(OBEY)noid. The trolls here are wise and nice and have always been as such.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
And on top of everything else, there's still a Guy Fieri.

Pack it the gently caress in, humanitailures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Or Thomas. I'd much rather have Guy Fieri than Clarence Thomas.
Chief Justice Fieri upholds CIA interrogation practices, stating "no, dude, look, it's like my brosideon Jack Bauer once said..."

oh wait that's a thing that actually happened and isn't loving funny