Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Filthy Haiku posted:

I don't think I could possibly be more hyped up about the return of Homestuck than I am now, and I can't possibly imagine the enormity of work that AH has been putting into it.

And more than anything else, more Karkat. :3:

I am still morbidly convinced that the blood on Jack's hand will somehow turn out to be Karkat's.

Hussie makes us love things only so he can take them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

My biggest complaint is that I can't get to MSPA from work, which means that I won't be able to see it until I get home.

I'm going to have to wait all day to see God-Tier Karkat. :(

Pretty sure that won't be a problem, because instead you'll see Dead-Tier Karkat. As in, he'll be dead. He's going to die.

I don't want to be so certain about this! He's my favorite character. He's so good. He's too good. Too good for this sinful paradox space.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Right now Newgrounds administrators are opening up vidchat and saluting each other.

"It's been a pleasure serving with you, gentlemen."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

I had actually planned in advance to try hosting it on NG for a little while, til things cooled down. This is the solution I was referring to below. It has worked well before. This is different though, due to the magnitudes, so I ran it by Tom Fulp first, who owns the site, and he was agreeable to this idea.

He suggested we put it in a section reserved for higher volume transfers, which sounded cool. But I hadn’t heard from him in a few days. So I just tried putting it on the dump site, as I did before, figuring it might be able to sustain it for a while, during some off peak hours until the better solution was available. This was not the case, so I took it down. I’m not out to break anyone’s site.

I’ll try something else tomorrow. In the meantime, please have patience.

Son of a BIIIIIIIITCH

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Deus Ex Human Revolution: The Missing Link DLC: Downloading at ~200 KB/S.

[S]Cascade: Downloading at ~10-15 KB/S.

We are loving HAMMERING Megaupload here.

Literally sacrificing a fine beeve to my laptop in an attempt to make this download faster.

HOLD STILL, BESSIE, IT'S FOR A GOOD CAUSE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

Andrew Hussie is going to single-handedly destroy the entire internet tonight, isn't he?

Just a l'il bit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So let me see if I've got this straight: Jade made a wish upon a star and became the single biggest badass in creation, using her space powers to transport the kids' entire session to the trolls'. This means that their session was Scratched without resetting the kids or their memories, leaving a quartet of God Tiers to maybe finally gently caress up Scratch's plans for good. Right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

closeted republican posted:

You're right, but she became God-Tier, not made a wish.

That part of my post was a hilarious joke, I know it's not really what happened.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Under the vegetable posted:

Karkat pointing Terezi in the right direction. because she's blind. was pretty adorable.

The fact that he got almost zero screen time in this was a little disappointing, but better than what I expected (I expected him to wind up with a dogman fist-sized hole in his torso).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lady Charlemagne posted:

REAL SPOILER QUESTION I am confused about what happened to Sollux.
Well, I am confused about a lot of things, but this I feel like I should know.

Near as I can tell, his duality schtick means he's presently got one alive self on the meteor and one half-dead self with Aradia. The meteor Sollux went full-bore on his psionics and moved the entire meteor out of harm's way and towards the Sun - possibly because he could sense his other self there, I dunno.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

That was possibly the cutest moment of the entire flash. :3:

Also, realspoilers I guess I can see the Dersebeds working a bit differently (admittedly, Aradia VRISKA was a Prospit God-tier and thus followed all the same rules as John and Jade).

Also, what are the over/unders on Jade herself being Lord English, and we just witnessed "his" birth? That doesn't quite seem to work though because English's powers are largely TIME-based, while Jade has incredible powers over The Now, as befits her.

First spoiler! It doesn't have anything to do with Derse. The kids and trolls didn't know until now that you actually get two dream beds, one in your world and one on Skaia/Derse. The only one to take advantage of this so far was Aradia, but we don't know how her body got there in the first place.

Second spoiler! Jade's totally not LE. Like you said, her powers revolve around spatial manipulation and she's got no domain over time. English's powers are still uncertain, but he's been established as having supreme control over weird timeline poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Talorat posted:

What happened to the new world frog though? Didn't we last see it get dropped into lava?

That was the caldera made to birth a new universe. All of Jade's plans are ticking along five-o so far.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So yeah, the thing I want to see most after watching the flash is whether Dave and Rose are evil now. Because on a second go-round, Aradia's faintly smug expression and their manifestation is pretty loving ominous!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Okay, so my friend pointed something out to me.

Technically, the only question that wasn't answered in all of that is Who Lord English is.

But What do we know about Lord English? Has tons of power, consumes universes, exists in a universe chiefly to ensure his own existence, and color of choice is green.

Maybe that wasn't unanswered. Maybe we just saw his destruction, and his creation.

That's what I think, too. The Green Sun is some kind of egg for English, and so the fact that Dave and Rose just emerged from it crackling with First Guardian power and shaded/hooded eyes doesn't really bode that well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also it bears mentioning that Cal is on Gamzee's lap while Gamzee is watching the events unfolding in the "most important character in Homestuck" panel.

One more fine lump of evidence in the now-mountainous pile that Cal is the most important character and also Lord English. Taking bets, taking bets.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KoB posted:

But we now know that in that scene, Gamzee was talking to Scratch. So it could very well gave been Scratch, but showing Gamzee to keep us off the trail.

It's not Gamzee or Scratch. It's Cal. It's totally Cal. IT'S ALWAYS CAL

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Do You Remem8er Me is lovely. Especially when the percussion kicks in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Okay this should put the "Aradia is evil all along" chat to rest:

Andrew's About EoA5 part 2

Basically: Aradia wasn't even complicit in the creation of the Green Sun because she arrived after it was created. Like as it was shown in that super cool flash movie so long ago.

Edit: this one

Edit 2: Never mind it wasn't a flash but here you go

I think that above all else, a big part of the reason behind concerns that Aradia/Rose/Dave playing for the other team is that people are looking for something to go terribly wrong. I mean, from the start to the end of the Flash, things are going pretty good! Sure, Lord English has been summoned and woe unto all things from the beginning to the end of time, et cetera, but everyone's successfully evaded the Scratch, the kids are now a full quartet of God Tiers, Jack's behavior has become almost quaint, and no one died!

Well, no one who counts.

Factor in that Scratch probably knew that Rose and Dave would emerge from the Sun as God Tiers (unless it was another dark pocket, which seems unlikely given how confident he was in the plan from start to finish), and it just seems like the one uncertainty in a pretty good run of luck. I guess the obvious alternative is that Scratch was confident that no amount of God Tiers could inconvenience Lord English, but he just never struck me as one to leave that sort of thing to chance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I'd say creating the Green Sun on a mission to destroy it is a pretty drat good way for a plan to go awry. Things have gone horribly wrong, you don't need to inject players going villain to make it worse.

Bec Noir may still be unstoppable, for all we know. PM? might not be capable of bringing him down.

Anyone who did not see the Green Sun plan going topsy-turvy months ago is the kind of person I would describe as a sucker.

I was expecting much worse on top of that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

...You were expecting worse than the exact opposite of their goal happening? I mean, sure, it's reasonable to expect the plan to go horribly wrong, but them going god tier aside, it went horribly wrong in about as terrible way as possible.

It was obvious to me that the Sun was going to be fine ever since Doc Scratch explained that he's kept the corrupt-scratch-horribly "ideal" cycle of sessions going more or less in perpetuity. I was expecting the characters to be caught totally off-guard by it all, with Jade's freshly constructed universe being their only refuge against Jack and English. Also Karkat would die somehow.

Instead everyone's locked and loaded against any potential threats short of English himself, Jade went Dog Tier and juggled an entire session through the fourth wall, PM is ready to give Jack a run for his money, and the only ones who died were the Exiles and Sollux (again). So yeah, I think there's a really big silver lining to all this!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

That transformation was implied to be directly as a result of the Handmaiden's (and LE's) influence, and as far as we know LE has no real presence in the kids' universe; remember that the two main signs of this are players not spawned by their session and a cueball guardian, and Earth has neither.

The closest thing LE had to an agent on Earth was (possibly maybe) Betty Crocker/Her Condescension, and that's still unconfirmed.

As Doc Scratch said, every other session is normally a bloodthirsty place warped by his presence, brought about by a flawed previous session that was created by the last "ideal" session, and so forth. So the kids' post-Scratch universe would presumably have Doc Scratch in charge as its guardian so he could make it as hosed up as the trolls' universe.

Except this time, Jade managed to create a fresh universe on top of causing the Scratch and escaping, so hopefully that threw things out of joint enough to break Scratch's cycle, or at least interfere with it.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 26, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of the confirmation of the fact that Jade really did inherit all the powers (all of them) when she went Dogtier: she's got full Space abilities, full Sprite abilities, and full First Guardian abilities. She is literally the single most powerful character in the entire comic now. She could probably throw down with Scratch or Noir and win.

Which is why I don't think we'll be returning to her and John, in terms of direct narrative, for a while. She's so drat powerful that she's going to be hard to write as a direct character now. It would not surprise me at all if Acts 6 and 7 are told primarily from the perspective of the Scratched Kids, who are goin' about things normally and then WHAM THERE'S THIS LADY WITH DOG EARS AND WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE gently caress.

After the adrenaline rush from her master plan wears off Jade will be too busy thinking about unfathomable snausages to do anything for the rest of the comic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ahahaha, I just realized. John's trip through the fourth wall with Jade is the first time he's ever met her in person. Talk about a first impression.

"Hello John! Don't worry, I just teleported you across the universe. And I died but came back to life and also I am part dog. Now let's fly through a magic science dimension window while I juggle planets bark bark bark"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

So it totally makes sense on many levels for PM to be the one to wear the White Queen's ring and fight Jack -- Propsitian vs Dersite; dog vs mailman; etc -- but then why was there all that foreshadowing earlier about WV doing it instead? Y'know, this dream sequence?

Seems like a textbook fakeout to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's been really clear for a while now that English is immune to all conventional forms of attack, and the only way to beat him, if any, is to slap together enough weird time/space poo poo to break whatever zany cosmic cycle keeps him perpetually in existence/"already here." I'm guessing that if the kids manage to create a stable offshoot universe that lacks any trace of English's influence and lock him in the currently extinct session then they'll have won, but there's probably going to be more to it than that.

In fact, how long has it been since brute force was useful for anything besides wiping out cannon fodder? Ever since Jack Noir first prototyped himself, raw strength meant jack poo poo unless you were one of the guardians, and once Bec got prototyped he dominated the field so completely that everyone's been forced to use indirect methods of combat instead. John just now got something to swing his hammer at that didn't telestab him before he could twitch a muscle.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 27, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Why do you assume entropy isn't a natural part of the process? As has been said [By a biased source that manipulated the hell out of people] English may be far more evil than Jack, but he's a known quantity that reality knows how to deal with. Jack is broken, outside the bounds of what reality knows how to deal with. In the grander scheme of things, Jack is 'more destructive' than English.

Jack isn't an unknown quantity, he's just one more variable in the formula that inevitably brings English into the universe. Every other session created contains some kind of fatal flaw that will render it impossible to complete without a Scratch, which lets English/Doc Scratch mold the reset session into the kind of sociopathic society the trolls had, and whose players are manipulated into creating a new session with yet another fatal flaw.

Every single negative thing that has happened throughout the comic can be traced back to Lord English and his ~ath summoning requirements, and Doc Scratch all but says outright that this has been a part of Skaia ever since the beginning. The only way for our intrepid heroes to get anything resembling a victory by the end of the comic is to somehow break English's summoning cycle, because as long as he's a part of creation, Skaia will just create universe after universe to be a twisted killing pen for his purposes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It's worth noting that Scratch doesn't say that a session where players can't clone themselves is English's calling card. He said that English's calling card is a minor, subtle error that snowballs until it renders the session impossible to complete. For the kids, that's Jack Noir and his prototyping spree.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

Or maybe the existence of a certain robotic bunny named after a certain actress?

That's the earliest point we can find where things started to go wrong, yeah. The only way to get earlier than the bunny is to get some information on J, which hasn't been possible yet for all sorts of reasons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I guess it could've been, except that Nanna and Grandpa both broke out of her clutches before she could do any visible damage. And the Condesce had a lot of success making everything terrible through alternate means when she sent that video to Dave.

Nanna's story almost made it sound like the Condesce had her slated to be English's next servant, but since we haven't seen her around for a while who knows how that'll turn out. I don't think an entity like English that has near-total mastery of predetermination really needs contingency plans, so if Nanna got away, it probably wasn't by accident.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Reene posted:

If you read what Doc Scratch says about the ancestor/pre-scratch troll session, it spells out what the glitch does.

The very next sentence is the important one. Scratch says the glitch causes "an unfathomable cascade of misfortune." He never specifically states that it's the same kind of misfortune throughout all sessions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krinkle posted:

the condesce sent a video to dave? when was this?

Before Sburb dropped, the Condesce (aka Betty Crocker) sent the "Miracles" video to Dave way ahead of its time. He then sent it to Gamzee, and bad stuff happened.

Here's the page.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PlesantDilemma posted:

Does John know that Vriska is dead? I think Karkat never told him because he didn't want John to be distracted. The kids just went through all kinds of crap to hang out with the trolls and now John can't spend time with his troll lady friend :smith:

Karkat's been hiding it from him. Guess we'll detonate that dramabomb when we come to it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

True Evil Bob posted:

One of the dead Solluxes was able to follow Aradia to the green sun and is present when Rose/Dave show up.

That's Sollux. He's always had a bizarre approach to death and dreamselves, which is probably connected to his Mage of Doom title.

Vriska is out. She's not coming back. Which is good, because she had a really solid arc with a definite conclusion.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Aren't they always each other's Moirail? I'm pretty sure Eridan and Feferi both referred to each other as such.

Yeah, moirallegiance is always mutual. It's also apparently different than "best friends," which is why Karkat said it was a troll thing and John would only get confused if he tried to explain.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dizz posted:

Quick question that might have been noted already.

During [S]Cascade you see Gamzee typing "S U C K E R S." I noticed that it was highlighted to show white text.

Does this mean the one who was typing white this whole time to the kids and trolls was him this whole time? I'm guessing this was the reason he was considered the "Most important character in Homestuck"

He wasn't typing that, he was highlighting Scratch's message one letter at a time. Scratch said ages ago that he's totally comfortable with lying in the service of a joke or a prank, so long as he reveals he was pranking someone. And, well, he did. At literally the last possible second.

And the most important character in Homestuck is, in fact, Li'l Cal (who is also Lord English).

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 30, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thanks alot assbag posted:

Inexplicably for me, one of the funniest moments from the entire comic for me is the very end of one of their first conversations..

"So I guess you're spidery themed?"
"Yup"
"Haha, ew, spiders are gross!"
"gently caress you!!!!!!!!"

I was just about to post that. From there on I knew their chatlogs would be something special because Vriska had obviously never talked with someone like John before. He's so unflappably derpy that he totally fucks up the trolls' expected power dynamics.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
While I was skimming through the archives I saw a passage in Karkat's early pages that I really hope doesn't get recalled by whatever portion of Hussie's brain is reserved for turning minor details into huge plot events:

quote:

You have bound a subloop to the lifespan of the code's author, which is you. Any routine at the end will execute when you die. You figure this might be handy for coding something to release a final will and testament.

If Karkat gets the axe and turns out to have covertly working on some secret memo stating that everyone is maybe not the most obnoxious gaggle of buckethumping assholes he ever knew I am going to loving lose it. All of it will be lost, and unable to be found.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord of Laughton posted:

Hey, I'm not sure if this was pointed out yet, but remember the most important character in Homestuck? Well, as we saw in the flash, there's another character watching simultaneously.

I've been pointing it out furiously. Just jabbing my fingers with the nastiest grimace.

I knew there was something more sinister than usual about Cal ever since we found out he's a self-perpetuating time loop on top of being half of Doc Scratch and chums with psycho Gamzee and Bec Noir. There's a dark puppetty web over this story, and Cal leers at its center.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pastrymancy posted:

Oh gently caress you I read this in a dark room at 11:57 pm.
Can Cal move on his own? I was never sure if it was him or Bro.

Cal's never been shown moving by himself.

But I'm sure you know as well as I do that this doesn't prove anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh gently caress I looked at the track art for Serenade and now I'm sad :(

Galactic Cancer's is kind of a huge downer, too.