Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Additionally, here here is a very well done and extremely complicated timeline

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Where the heck is this dreambubble breakout theory coming from? It's not something I've particularly seen in the comic, except for Sollux possibly leaving a bubble. But he's kind of a special case.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If the flash is up before I go to work tomorrow, I will watch it and be useless all day thinking about it.

If the flash doesn't go up before I have to go to work tomorrow, I will think about watching it and be useless all day.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Zorak posted:

I presume part of the reason he wants it on his site is because, well, the ad revenue off this one flash will probably pay off the costs for the site for quite awhile. Which is less a "greed" thing and more a matter of practicality.

I wonder how much he actually makes, if he can afford "several thousand dollars a month" for hosting, and also pay for rent, food, etc. $10k for one day of hosting this flash? It took me most of last year to earn that much.

If the flash isn't up before I leave for work, I will take my tablet and go to McDonald's or somewhere with free wifi for lunch. Let's face it, I'm gonna be pretty distracted tomorrow anyway.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Oh right, I forgot about Color Composer. That makes sense.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
You know, I don't really want to see any supposed New Kids at length. I think we have plenty of stuff to deal with already without adding ANOTHER group of main characters. I'd probably be ok with little snippets like trolls' Ancestors got.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Comic posted:

Which is why Karkat was kind of exasperated and confused by that.

Karkat is perpetually exasperated and confused by the mere existence of John.

quote:

CG: I'M ENDING THIS CONVERSATION BECAUSE I'VE SAID IT ALL TOO MANY TIMES.
CG: AND BECAUSE YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND.
CG: BECAUSE YOU ARE DUMB.
EB: wow, yeah you're totally not trolling me, bro!
EB: i see now we are bffs forever.
CG: THE FACT THAT YOU ARE DUMB
CG: IS AN IMMUTABLE FACT I AM STATING FOR THE RECORD.
CG: IT DOES NOT MEAN ANIMOSITY IS WHAT IS TAKING PLACE HERE.
EB: oh, ok.
EB: so what do you want.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Saradiart posted:

Favorite flash is definitely JOHN: RISE UP.

Oh, absolutely. Savior of the Waking World is a beautiful piece of music, the visuals are dramatic, and the resurrection themes are powerfully emotional.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

As much as I love my Dave-atar, I now want a Karkat-atar. I'm thinking Xamag's Karkat from the EOA5 flash here, but I need a quote. Maybe this one:

CG: I DO TWO THINGS AND TWO THINGS ONLY, I DEVASTATE SORRY MOTHERFUCKERS, AND GET poo poo DONE AS AN AWESOME LEADER.

Any other suggestions?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I guess Dave flying off the handle can go back in the avatar repository, although I'm not sure how I feel about someone else having it. I guess someone already has a non-animated version, although I forget who.

Anyway, I went with a Karkat quote from his very first pesterlog. I also flipped him around and removed the Gamzee blood from his cheek. Now it looks like he is critiquing me and my posting.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

It says something about Karkat that he gets more screentime than anyone else except the kids and avatar images of him are still constantly in short supply.

(what it says is he's the best character)

Karkat may be the best character, but visually he's not actually that interesting. I mean, he's been wearing the same outfit the entire time, and he's pretty monochrome except for the eyes and horns. Unlike say, Feferi who sure does look exotic or Dave and his series of dapper suits, Karkat is just a kid in a tshirt. He doesn't have that many action shots, either. He's more brain than brawn as a leader.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Guys, I just realized I've been to Rainbow Falls in upstate New York, where Rose's house would be. Rainbow Falls is on the Ausable River, and you can go hiking up the river and then ride a raft back down to the visitors' entrance. My family goes on vacation to upstate New York every summer, and two years ago we hiked Ausable Chasm. It is very beautiful and not nearly as isolated as Hussie would lead you to believe.

Rose's House

Rainbow Falls, as seen from the bridge you have to cross to get to the entrance of the visitors' entrance.

It's obviously the same place, with the little stream off to the right of the bigger fall.

I love the Adirondacks so much.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Seoinin posted:

It's impressive his on-the-fly storytelling works as well as it does, but you have to admit it does lead to some pretty jumbled messes occasionally. He eventually teases out most of the necessary plot points, but until then things can get confusing.

One of the things I find most fascinating about Homestuck is that Hussie cannot change earlier parts of the story, because he posts panels as soon as he finishes them. He has to work with what he's already written. I assume that a lot of the "foreshadowing" is actually retrieval and repurposing of earlier elements. It's like Tim Gunn from Project Runway told him, "Andrew, make it work" and he totally took it to heart.

How old is Hussie, anyway? I'm guessing mid to late 20's, judging by John's taste in movies and snacks--his childhood favorites seem more like someone who was born in 1986 (like me) than 1996. The other three kids don't really seem to have as much interest in media that exists in our world (the one that you and I and Hussie live in). Rose's knockoff Lovecraft, Dave's Smuppets, and Jade's Squiddles are all Hussie's creations, but John's movies exist so I'm assuming Hussie has given John some of his actual favorites. I mean, do kids even eat Gushers anymore? They were the poo poo in the early 90s, but John wouldn't hit prime childhood snack age until the early 2000s.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah he's 32.

Huh. Close enough, I guess. That means he was 14 when Gushers came out, though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
You ignorant fools. Shark Bites! What flavor were those white ones supposed to be, anyway?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

creationist believer posted:

I feel like Hussie is personally teasing me by showing a campaign of passive aggressive one-upmanship but not introducing us to kid Mom and guardian Rose yet. I'm starting to think I'll love the new group almost as much as I loved the old group though :3:

1--Of course he is. He says as much on his Tumblr.

2--Me too. Y'all know that I was pretty apprehensive about this whole "new kids" thing, but this seems much better than what I was expecting.

I miss Karkat already, though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Loving this act so far. I'm terribly curious when the old cast will come barging in, but in the meantime these guys and their increasingly horrific world are very interesting to watch! Hoping for plenty more :words:.

Thank you for articulating this, as I am now pretty invested in figuring out what their world is like.

And oh my god, can I just say how much I'd love to captchalog my car? I'd never have to clean snow off that motherfucker again, or look for a parking spot. But mostly the snow.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That Recipe Book is like the most useful fetch modus ever. It probably has a table of contents AND an index.

I took a year of intro computer science in college when I was 19, and as terrible as I was at it (How do I Java???), at least I understood all the data structure jokes in Act 1.

Edit: A google search of my real name brings up a fist page result of lecture notes my professor archived from 2006, which used students' names as data input for hash tables.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 16, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

marsattacks posted:

So am I the last person to notice that there's a song on Homestuck Vol. 6 called Umbral Ultimatum?

There's also a song called Unbreakable Union, used here. Both UU songs seem to be associated pretty strongly with Bec and Jade.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Daft chunK posted:

But didn't the kids make that punchcard machine with the lathe thing? Once they made items they took the cards and stuck them in a machine to get hole patterns so that they could also input codes for items too (John and Terezi and the jetboots come to mind)

Yeah, the totem lathe and alchemiter and whatnot don't show up until you install the game.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Eiba posted:

I'm also much less enthusiastic about this chat log than most people here seem to be. I just don't really find drunk people to be all that funny... for personal reasons... so this whole thing is a huge letdown for me. I mean, the typo correcting thing is pretty great fun, and I laughed at the "one... *one... *on" bit, as I've actually seen that happen before.

But otherwise... being drunk is one of the oldest least interesting comedic premises there are, as a lame excuse for random silliness.

The morality brigade is totally gonna be all over Hussie for TEEN ALCOHOLISM now, I'm sure. You're right about it being "one of the oldest least interesting comedic premises," but Hussie being Hussie, I'm confident that he can do a lot more with her character than just "teenage inebriate".

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Prison Warden posted:

Wow, seems a lot of people really didn't get the joke, da kids these days need to read more Agatha Christie it seems.
I thought my use of Uncultured Swine made my sarcasm obvious. Stupid text only communication

Or at least they need to watch the television versions, with David Suchet. I watched way too many of those as a child. (My mother has a completely unironic love for murder mysteries. She has as many novels as Bro has puppets.)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That Fetch Modus is bullshit. At least it doesn't delete your poo poo when you get it lined up, like a full row in Tetris.

Of course, I'd probably use a Purse Modus, which has a couple of pockets for the most frequently used, but everything else is just jumbled in there and requires a lot of digging around and cursing. Maybe then I could update to a Messenger Bag Modus, which is exactly the same but with a greater capacity.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MrBims posted:

Have any of you ever been in a fraternity, a military, or just been friends with someone who acts and talks like Dave in real life? Not a day goes by that I don't hear gay innuendo, even from homophobic infantry NCOs from the dirty south with NOBAMA stickers on their red Ford F150. Has nothing to do with their sexuality. Hussie knows how real people talk, and that has been one of the greatest strengths of Homestuck's dialogue.

My boyfriend and his best friend cannot, to my knowledge, have a conversation that doesn't involve huge amounts of homosexual innuendo. It's ridiculous

You'd think that Jake would have figured out some sort of Turing test to figure out if Bro's autoresponder is on, and start every conversation with that. Of course, that might lead to Bro improving his conversation algorithms, and eventually a true AI.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

This is the one true Karkat.

For some reason fan-recordings always make him sound like a thirty-year smoker or something, but this video has all the right qualities - plain, kind of reedy, but totally inexhaustible, to the point where all the angry words just kind of blend together into a giant homogeneous block of vitriol.

I think this works well because this ISN'T a fan recording. LtMKilla is a real person who really does hate Facebook.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Wrist Watch posted:

That is literally the fastest purchase I have ever made.

I think I once purchased a Terry Pratchett book faster, but only because Amazon has that one-click shopping option.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about the book itself, the doodle, or the author commentary.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

CidGregor posted:

It's worth noting that Sollux still has one black eye and one white eye, suggesting he remains half dead, whatever that means.

Why does he have a white eye here? That's for dead people in dream bubbles, and he had two black eyes in Cascade. Perhaps the meteor is passing through dream bubbles, like Derse's moon did when Rose was riding it out to the Green Sun to deliver the Tumor.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

senseinobu posted:

Technically if he does captchalogue it no one would be able to get it out since if he still has the encryption modus.

No, Karkat gave his encryption modus to Sollux, who was actually able to use it. http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003899

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

I don't think this is going to be a very popular opinion, but I think Bowman's singing ruins his music for me. The music is great, but something about the way he sings just grates on my nerves. :(

His voice is part of his music, though, so it's kind of unfair to say that his vocals "ruin" it. I like his vocals, but then again I also like a number of male vocalists with "odd" voices--John K. Samson from the Weakerthans, Win Butler from Arcade Fire, John Vanderslice, Jason Lytle from Grandaddy, John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats, Thom Yorke from Radiohead, etc.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Did anyone else show Sburbian powers before entering the Medium? I mean, I guess Dave's skills at creating sick beats were a possible precursor of time powers.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

President Ark posted:

What the gently caress is on his TV :stare:

I thought a couple of those were sculptures by Deborah Butterfield, who makes horses out of bronze tree branches, but it seems like they're actually life size horse puppets from a stage production of War Horse.

And that's all I have to say on that subject.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If you don't look back at your past self and think, "holy poo poo what a moronic rear end in a top hat," you need to work on improving your life.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Poor Jaspers. Dapper as hell, even after being squished flat like a bug.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The Sezza posted:

They have carapaces, which are part of an exoskeleton, so probably not.

Edi: Or, considering above, both I guess?

I figure it is kind of like how trolls can grow from insect-like grubs to mammal-like adults with skeletons, hair, flesh, etc. Basically, alien biology.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I am pretty loving baffled by these recent events and would like an answer to at least one outstanding question soon. Thank you Hussie in advance.

I mean god drat. This poo poo got more twists than the end of an M. Night Shyamalan movie with every update.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Karkat said that all the trolls got to fly except for him for some reason.

quote:

CG: EVERY DOUCHE GOT TO FLY BUT ME, EVEN THE CRIPPLE.

I don't know why he didn't alchemize a flying machine of some sort.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bobulus posted:

\/ Hussiebot bleeds raindow-animated-gif, like Karkat's blood appeared when he was hiding his blood color.

When was this?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Are Dave and Karkat's red the same color? Also, I think it shows great growth for Karkat to use red with himself. I mean, yeah, everyone else knows, but he held onto that gray with a deathgrip.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

The image of Karkat just looping through self-directed vitriol into forever is loving magical :allears:

Dude is his own Double Moibus Reacharound.

Also, Can Town meets SBaHJ meets Alternian Courtroom Drama looks pretty much like I would have expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Well Manicured Man posted:

I wonder how (if it is blood, which I think it is) it's been able to last for a whole year. Troll corpses must be packed with blood! I'm surprised trolls don't gush torrents of blood like something out of a samurai movie whenever they get injured.

Uh, they totally are completely full of blood. See the aforementioned K8LL M8 scene. I think in that last thread I compared them to John's beloved Gushers.

I mean, compare the human death scenes to the troll death scenes. John and Rose getting stabbed and Dave getting shot weren't actually all that bloody.