Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Vateke posted:

I think a Bubble Breakout could work in a temporary capacity, with the dead assisting in events around the Green Sun, but not being able to move on with the living to what remains.

Also, I don't think any of you appreciate the true scope of a bubble breakout. We've seen characters from doomed timelines in the bubbles, like John. This implies that every dead player from every timeline is out there. Now, count how many Aradiabots were in the battle with the Black King.

That is a lot of trolls.

I don't really think we can consider it confirmed that beta-timeline people get dreambubbles though- The Aradia-bot had already re-entered the alpha timeline, and we don't really know how beta-John died, or his deal with Typhus. It's entirely possible that part of the deal was that Typhus would send beta-John back to the Alpha timeline where he would do... something, before dying (likely in the great green blaze).

Anyways I am totally excited about this I don't even know. Too bad I have a midterm Tuesday and another Wednesday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Zokari posted:

It played for like 5 minutes then cut to an error that said it wouldn't run on my computer. What the hellllllll

Edit: Ha, although it looks like I've seen more than anyone else here.

5 minutes :psyduck:

wait wait 14 minutes :aaa: :psyboom: :aaa:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oh wow that was incredible. I absolutely did not expect all the kids to catch the tiger- and the exiles :( oh nooooooo

But the new album is pretty sweet! And I don't know if anyone else has noticed but there are two new shirts up- Hero of Mind and Hero of Heart.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

On Andrew's old formspring he once pointed out that the Quest Beds serve the explicit function of taking players from their various planets straight to the Battlefield (which they have to do at some point, since that's where the final showdown vs. the Black King takes place), so they're probably supposed to be part of the "normal" progression of the game and using rockets to get there is just cheating.

And falling off of Prospit's moon as it collides with Skaia is just completely out of line.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

creationist believer posted:

The last paragraph pretty much confirms that Demonhead Mobster Kingpin is Lord English, right?

I'm hoping for an evil Godhead Pickle Inspector myself. :colbert:

vvvv You could also consider Vriska's fight with Noir in that beta timeline that Terezi saw, depending who you think won and if it really 'counts'.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 26, 2011

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dr Strangepants posted:

I don't think LE will appear just because it was scratched...

Doc Scratch posted:
Though they could not recognize it for the bad omen it was, this session was not the one in which they had been spawned. Such is the symptom of a subtle glitch affecting certain sessions, an error designed to trigger an unfathomable cascade of misfortune throughout paradox space. This glitch is the calling card of the one I serve. It is the discreet, gentlemanly manner in which he reserves his place in a universe for later visitation.

It seems like LE is not destined for the kid's universe simply because they did seed themselves. He didn't leave his reservation which would be rather ungentlemanly. Although I guess the next session's players may not seed themselves...

Symptom though- not necessarily the glitch itself. If the glitch is something more along the lines of allowing for communication between the pre- and post-Scratch universes then it likely means:

a)A Scratch is assured to fulfil the timeloop
b)If the glitch is LE's calling card, and the glitch results in a Scratch, then LE will most likely be summoned into the post-Scratch universe
c)The post-Scratch universe's First Guardian will be more like Doc Scratch than Bec, in that they serve Lord English. Also fits with Scratch's line about "countless iterations of himself" or whatever it was.
d)It is very likely* that Jade's penpal 'J' is a post-Scratch entity, and by communicating and sending Liv Tyler across the gap repeatedly they've assured their own Scratch, as per (a)

*Not confirmed though

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Lord English can travel through time, so from his personal perspective he enters the universe at its end, then goes back and forth throughout its history just generally being evil and stuff*. He also helps set up the events that lead his summoning and the destruction of the host universe, before buggering off to wreck some other fool's day.

*Stuff like enslaving Feferi and Aradia's ancestors, setting up the Felt, behind the scenes poo poo like that

Right now yeah, Lord English doesn't seem as villainous to us because he's been pretty low-key, with Doc Scratch and Jack taking up the primary villain slots. But it looks like Jack is sort of winding down with his confrontation with PM and Doc Scratch is dead(?). So basically Act will proooobably be setting up exactly how evil Lord English is and how dangerous or whatever before any sort of final confrontation.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Starmaker posted:

The thing about LE is that he was never in the kid's universe, and it wasn't his fault Jack was created or that their session had a tumor. That was Vriska and Karkat, respectively. We haven't seen Doc Scratch/LE directly manipulate their actions in those regards (unless forming all of Troll society counts, which I guess it might, but maybe not in the case of Karkat?) LE and Scratch pretty much just went with things as far as the kid's universe was concerned. While Scratch manipulated things to get the tumor to the Outer Rim, he didn't/couldn't do much with Jack, and it's more likely he had to work around him. So LE wasn't really directly responsible for the kid's universe's destruction, but he sure took advantage of it.

(LE might, as Scratch said, just be a part of the system, like entropy personified or something, as much a part of the universe as the game is. But if that's the case, how/why would the kids even defeat him? This is my problem, I don't know why he's the villain.)

But Scratch has absolutely had a hand in shaping the Kid's universe exactly the way it is? He's been influencing Troll society, as well as the individual Trolls in order to shape their personalities so that they'd 'power-game' everything instead of actually maturing- which resulted in Karkat messing up the frog breeding, creating a flawed universe.

Besides, Betty Crocker (likely the Condence, and serving Lord English), gave Dave the ICP video, who then gave it to Gamzee, who freaked out and magnified John's fear of clowns, which lead to his dream scrawlings in his room, which caused Dad to buy him the clown, whose silly costume made Jack flip the gently caress out after it was prototyped which resulted in him killing the Queen and ascending.

Additionally, Scratch has taken a pretty active role in Aradia and Vriska's lives, directly manipulating them so that Aradia's a fatalistic ghost and Vriska's... well, Vriska. Basically getting her into such a state of mind that she'd want to have a hand in creating Bec Noir.

Basically Scratch and English did take a direct hand in messing up the kid's universe so bad that they'd have Scratch it, try to blow up the Green Sun, and it was assured to be destroyed.

Personally I don't think English is really a natural part of things, like entropy or Skaia or the Horrorterrors are. Scratch merely says that he's accounted for in the present equilibrium, not that he's supposed to be there.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

creationist believer posted:

Or a glitch in the alpha timeline that causes a paradox, like the trolls existing but never creating themselves. That'd effect the ancestor session but not the kids session.

Or maybe the existence of a certain robotic bunny named after a certain actress?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Reene posted:

But it mentions a specific "symptom" of the glitch - that session not being the one that spawned them. The impression I got is that while the misfortune is session-specific, that symptom (and maybe others) is universal.

...Maybe the reach-around is bigger than we thought. :psyduck:

Well, here's how I see it:

Doc Scratch probably wanted us to think that it was the specific not-the-session-that-spawned-them thing that was the glitch, and seeing how the kid's did spawn themselves, they'd be safe right? Except his wording is kind of ambiguous, suggesting that maybe there's something else going on.

Besides, it was Scratch who suggested they perform a Scratch after all. He clearly wants it to happen. Think about it- if he only wanted the Tumor detonated and the Green Sun created he would have been like "Hey kids go blow up this sun, it'll stop Jack for you" and they would have been like "k thx bro", but then he says "Oh yeah you gotta erase your own existence too, I don't care if you survive."

I mean if you consider the Troll session, they had the glitch, were suffering a cascade of misfortune, then Scratched, and BAM! Lord English in the house. Now the kids are suffering a cascade of misfortune, and have Scratched, so if Doc Scratch or English or whatever show up in the post-Scratch universe, you've got three out of the four steps right?

So that probably means that the kid's session was affected by the glitch too, it just didn't really have the same symptoms. In the Troll session, it was something innocuous that they wouldn't really notice or think about, so it'd probably be similar in the kid's right? Something that couldn't really exist without a Scratch happening, and affects things in ways that the kids don't really know about that triggers an unwinnable scenario.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Esme posted:

I've been thinking the same thing. I could see breath being related to creation in the same way that light is related to luck/fate--even more so if you think of it in the context of creation myths. Also there was that scene with Tavros and Vriska when she was dying. I know that all the princes/princesses of the moons can restore life with a kiss, but I'm pretty sure that his is the only case where you see that little breeze symbol coming out of his mouth. Of course, we never got to see what would have happened there, because Vriska.

I don't know, to me it looks more like he's inhaling in preparation/psyche up, with the wind gust just being a sort of stylized way of showing it. It doesn't really even match up with the actual Hero of Breath symbol and I kind of feel like it would have shown up again once the situation repeated itself with John (Hero of Breath) kissing Rose (Hero of Light) if it was that important.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nonbaka posted:

Easy mode: [s]John: Play haunting piano refrain. The start of the story was doing its job of drawing me in, but once I got to this page and heard Showtime for the first time, that's when I knew I was in for something special.

Hard mode: Gamzee's derpy face while staring at his miracle modus with the caption "Sometimes you just like to pick stuff up and watch the colors." will never fail to get a laugh out of me.
Actually, the entirety of Gamzee's introduction is my favorite part of the whole story. Sure he's a juggalo, but he comes off as such a stupid, loveable goof as opposed to the rest of the trolls.

Not quite the most memorable moments, but I guess I'm pretty easy to please.

Pretty much everything that's been mentioned so far is all amazing, but my two are actually really similar to yours-

Easy Mode: The Title Splash I don't know how to explain it, but the slow zoom out, low winds and chimes and the monologue at the bottom really just made me realize what I was in for. A long day indeed.

Hard Mode: Gamzee retrieving his husktop. I don't know, after all the sylladex based shenanigans the characters went through, Gamzee bypassing them all is so fantastic.

Yeah, not the most funny or amazing moments I guess, just sort of the ones that come to mind when I think Homestuck.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RickoniX posted:

Just noticed this

Umm, sorry I'm not sure what you're getting at? It's PM in the ship, she's leaving for the Battlefield to get the White King's staff I think.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

In the same way that John can both die (jetpacking into the Denizen's lair) and be saved (by Davesprite) at the same time I guess. Think of almost everything (depending on how much the Scratch resets) we've seen so far of the Kid's universe/session as being one big Beta timeline.

Compare it to Davesprite's creation, or the Beta Aradia's story of Gamzee going insane early:

-Jacks ascension <=> John derping into the Denizen portal <=> Gamzee slaughtering everyone
-Activating the Scratch <=> Beta Dave going back <=> Beta Aradia going back
-??????????<=> Beta Dave becomes Davesprite; stops John <=> Aradia makes sure Karkat runs the code
-The Kids being outside their universe <=> Rose going to sleep and some of her memories persisting/Dave becoming doomed <=> Aradia becoming doomed

So yeah, the universe gets destroyed, but not across all timelines or at all points of time. If someone were to time travel to prevent the events that led to its destruction, then it'd just be a particularly nasty end to a Beta timeline I guess.
How exactly you'd prevent that I don't know but that's the gist of things I think.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

Do you actually have a reason or is it just because we didn't see DEAD next to him in the flash?

Because I am all for hoping characters are alive or will come back like with Vriska or Nepeta but come on he has a fist sized hole in his stomach. The "obvious" good-feeling ending is that PM will beat Jack and give WV the ring and he'll live but this is Homestuck. Everything will go wrong. If PM manages to beat jack we'll get a panel of here putting the ring on WV's finger and it not doing anything because he's already dead or something else equally as terrible.

Umm, that's exactly what he's saying? PM brought WV with her because he isn't dead *yet*, so there's at least some chance of him surviving. Whether that's likely to occur or not is a completely different question.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

I keep telling myself that this is stupid and Andrew's already announced that from here on out things are going to be rapidly wrapping up and there's no way he'd digress into trying to flesh out another twelve far-background characters. But I can't make myself believe it.

But it wouldn't be twelve, it'd be... four. And we're not talking fully realized characters like Vriska, or Dave or whatever, more like Equius, Sollux or Aradia at most. If anything they'd be taking up the slack that the deaths of the Exiles, a bunch of Trolls and the current Guardians left, I guess.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I don't think he's trapped in the sarcophagus- it's his timetravel method. He entered at the end of the Troll's universe, used his Cairo overcoat (a slang term for sarcophagus) to travel back to its beginning, where he can be all dastardly and poo poo.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Oh god dammit.

Actually just to clarify because I misinterpreted what someone else said- A Chicago overcoat is slang for a coffin, so a Cairo overcoat is a twist on that .

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dolash posted:

Okay, so let's take a moment here.

What's going to happen now?

So far as I can tell, Lord English is going to/has done all the things he did during the history of the universe(s), but once he's done those he ends up back here at the Green Sun, deep in Paradox space, where the kids and trolls (living and dead) remain.

Will Lord English want in on the new universe Jade made, assuming her genesis frog didn't just die? Does he want to destroy the reset session, assuming it wasn't destroyed when the bomb went off (it mustn't be destroyed, since Reset Grandpa is like 99% likely to be Jade's Penpal at this point meaning the reset must have happened)? Does he want to kill the players? Recruit them? Hunt down all the horror-terrors? Does Spades Slick want to kill him, if he similarly survived? What about Bec Noir? PM? What if WV survives, perhaps by getting Bec Noir's ring - would PM and WV be meaningful opposition to him? Does he have more Felt to call on? Now that he exists, what does he want?

We don't really know what his next step is, narratively. Everything in the story so far has been building up toward his creation, the inexorable event of his universe-destroying birth. Now the universes are destroyed and the last area in Paradox space is occupied by all our characters, and I find myself wondering where we go from here.

If you've got any ideas about the questions above I'd love to hear them, because I'm dying for some decent speculation.

I agree with you, we really have no idea where things are going to head now, although I have a couple things to correct:

1)Jade hasn't technically made the new universe yet. She had the tadpole version but still has to bring it to Skaia (maybe?) in order for it to mature and perform the Vast Croak.

2)John and Jade are heading through the yellow yard and through the second fourth wall, which leads into the post-Scratch session. From there their going to try to direct the Trolls/Derse Dreamsers to it. So yeah, the Kid's universe 'survived', but for how long is up for some debate.

That said I have no idea about the rest of your points, although you could probably make a few guesses:

-If the Kid's universe/session follows a similar pattern the Troll's, then it's likely the post-Scratch session will also have a Doc Scratch analogue as well as LE further on his personal timeline (after eating the Troll's universe). This will probably be how everyone finds out about Lord English and decide they need to stop him because right now like nobody has any clue.

-IF the post-Scratch universe is sort of like the Troll's post-Scratch (hosed up powergamers) then that sort of implies that they'd be making similar mistakes the Trolls did, like not listening to their denizens, or not finding the final frog (so any universe they make would also have 'cancer' and be messed up). So the 'proper' frog Jade made would be crucial towards actually completing the game in the correct way.

-Lord English entering a universe doesn't necessarily mean you can't kill him, just that you can't stop him from entering. So if they confront him at a time where he's done everything needed to continue the alpha timeline, they could end his personal timelime, although the universe would still be doomed because it has to end for him to enter it so they could kill him.

I dunno some thoughts.

I have put way too much time into this :suicide:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dolash posted:

words

The Troll and Kid's universes weren't destroyed by the bomb, they were destroyed by Sn0wman's death and Jack's Red Miles respectively. Their mass was used as fuel by the bomb (somehow) to create the Green Sun.

John scratching the session would result in a reset universe, and presumably did. But how this interacts with Jack 'simultaneously' destroying the universe frog we don't know. Maybe there are two frogs now, maybe the new frog will also be destroyed, maybe maybe maybe we don't know.

Jade's frog had nothing to do with the Scratch, it was the completion of one of Sburb's 'goals', the others being killing the black king/queen, confronting the denizens, ultimate alchemy, etc. There's been some allusions to Jade using her frog in the new session, although it falling into the lava may change those plans. We don't know how though.

We don't really know how the reset session interacts with the old session. The best I can think of is that Paradox Space/the Furthest Ring are kind of weird regarding time and space so the 'same' universe can exist in two different place-times I guess.

Once again we don't know if LE/DS will be in the post-Scratch universe. Personally I think LE will, and likely DS or an analogue but no way of knowing right now.

I still have no idea what the deal with the Exiles is.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Gizmotinker posted:

The Exiles are survivors from Incipisphere that travel to the ruined world of the Session's players by the means of meteorites and Skaia's defences. Just like kids, but much much later.

They rebuild civilization, and offer guidance to the players of the Session, by the means of those stations, which were also delivered via meteorites.

That's why Spades Slick has "You made this town what it is after all. Wasn't nothin' but a bunch of dust and rocks before you got here."

Nah, I get what they've done mechanically, what I don't get is what Hussie's doing with them, I guess.

Like White King is going to come out of the time capsule; everyone's all oooh what's going to happen? And he dies ten seconds later.

Or WV's daring dream about donning the ring; everyone thinks he'll be the one to confront Jack. Nnnnnope hand through gut and PM's the one who wears the ring.

And WQ telling AR to blow up the bases; everyone thinks it's some big cunning plan that will be just so amazing and critical. No, it's to try to stop Jack from doing something he's temporally fated to do, and so they fail miserably.

[S]Cascade really just threw the Exiles a massive curveball that really makes it hard to speculate on what's going to happen with them. (And by them I mean the remaining two now, :()

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Starmaker posted:

Remember WV was initially introduced solely as an in-story way of getting rid of player commands. Or maybe you weren't reading it yet at that point in which, ok, that's why he was introduced. Hussie was getting tired of that mechanic and wanted to get rid of it (John's message box has been destroyed). And then he brought it back in. And then got rid of it permanently. So the Exiles were only brought in to deal with a mechanic that doesn't even exist anymore, and they likely didn't have any grand character arc.

Oh, I didn't know that. Makes sense though. But yeah, I completely agree with you- with the other characters and plotlines you can generally have a rough idea of what's coming (with the occasional twist). After the Exiles got their timeloops completed though they kind of stopped being connected to the greater story, and it's harder to connect when you really have no idea what their future is.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

El Wombato posted:

Well, when you think about it, Scratch died and was reborn/transformed/whatever into a more powerful being. This is essentially the god tier mechanic minus the quest bed aspect.

Yeah I don't think Scratch really 'transformed' into Lord English, more like LE used his body as an entry point/basis or whatever.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Basically the troll ancestors made a deal with Echidna for their post-scratch world being aggressive and war-like, and the means for establishing those traits was Doc Scratch. It's not stated if Echidna always makes that sort of deal, and I would doubt it anyway since the kids didn't quite fail, or at least it was not because they were weak but because the first prototyping of Jade's sprite was ridiculous.

Just want to point out that Scratch says "Or, she could show them a path to a second chance, to a reality in which the chosen heroes of their race would be strong enough to succeed with ease, and claim the reward."

Essentially Echidna told them about the Scratch, as well as some of the results of doing so. It seems kind of unlikely that a promise made by/to one Denizen would have so much power that it'd create a servant to some time demon (and doom that universe to demon destruction), rather than that being a consequence of performing the Scratch which Echidna may have known about, I guess.

Besides, there is this conversation, where Doc Scratch says "Instances of myself have spawned in countless universes, and my objective is always the same", as well as "But there are rules to [Lord English's] entry, and his grim procession through paradox space is rather orderly. The present equilibrium has accounted for him, and will continue to." In addition, keep in my the pool-themes associated with LE, DS and the Felt. LE is the player, DS is the cueball and the Felt are the rest of the balls. If one player causes a scratch in a game of pool, their opponent gets to replace the cueball wherever they want.

To me that suggests that a)Scratch or something like him is always present in a universe destined to be destroyed by LE
b)The method LE and DS use to enter a universe is somewhat complex, orderly and not random
c)Forcing circumstances where the players must cause a Scratch, which then creates DS and allows LE to be summoned fits all the above criteria, as well as the pool motifs

Basically what I'm saying is that it's more likely that it's performing a reset that summons Doc Scratch, rather than Echidna having that kind of power.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

If Hussie does do a 'Dave/Aradia/Rose are evil now' thing I really hope it's better done than just a 'got touched by green stuff; evil now', because that'd be incredibly unsatisfying. I mean making Aradia evil just because is ok, she wasn't that much more developed then Gamzee or Eridan, but making Dave or Rose evil just because would be incredibly stupid. They're much more fleshed out and a lot more people are invested in them. I know Hussie's all about defying reader expectations and stuff but I do think he knows there's a line and I think making two major characters evil because they got slimed is crossing that line.

A much better way would be to kind of show their new perspectives as masters of fate and time, coupled with their previous personalities, developments and thoughts on being heroes and use that to explain why they might serve Lord English. The whole 'baptised in green fire' thing would merely be symbolic of their shift, instead of the actual reason why.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

Speaking of large memos I recently reread http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005261 and realized future Gamzee was being totally sincere because he was already moirailed but it still scared the poo poo out out of Karkat because of the typing gimmick.

No, I don't think so. Future Gamzee there was only 42 minutes ahead, which would put him at around the 2:30 mark on the countdown. He also makes reference to meeting some friends, being Equius and Nepeta most likely.

It really reinforces just how much all the stuff that went down is Karkat's fault. If he had just listened to Gamzee and found him right away to do the shoosh-pap moirail thing he would've saved Equius and Nepeta, stopped Gamzee from manipulating Terezi into fighting Vriska and stopped him from voodoo-chuckling John and Dave.

Karkat's honestly a pretty terrible leader.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ok, yeah Karkat couldn't possibly know about all the stuff Gamzee would do. It's more that his first reaction is to try to get Equius to kill him rather than try to peacefully resolve things.

I mean yeah Gamzee threatens him right off, that's pretty upsetting, but then Gamzee basically says 'come find me and we can resolve this peacefully' but Karkat doesn't even give it a chance. He sends Equius to kill Gamzee and then hides, leaving the rest of his team to their own devices. I guess a better strategy would be to find a safe place to stash Sollux and then have Equius and Nepeta meet up with them, then go find Gamzee to kill/caress him. Safety in numbers and working as a team and all that, right?

And it kind of ties in with the Sufferer's tale as well, you know? The Sufferer was preaching love and kindness but then got whacked by the Highbloods, meanwhile Karkat's trying to off Gamzee which doesn't work until he peace and serenitied the poo poo out him. So sort of finishing his ancestor's legacy there. Add to that Karkat's emotional issues- he's obsessed with Rom-Coms but kind of falls apart himself, what with falling out with Terezi and hating himself, so to buck up and get a thing going with Gamzee is a pretty good step right?

And honestly I don't think Karkat was a good leader during the Troll's session. Well I guess they didn't all kill each other which is a plus but for the most part it seemed like they were working individually or in small groups/pairs and didn't really have much overall co-ordination at all.

But that's ok because this means that Karkat finally stepping up both emotionally and as a leader to confront Gamzee will hopefully mean he's hit a big milestone on his character development so in the future he'll be a better leader, one who actually is more like John I guess.

vvv that's not what I meant :mad:, just more that he leads inspires through kindness instead of an iron fist. And Hussie has implied that Gamzee possibly used his chucklevoodoo to mess with Terezi, causing her to focus on Vriska. If Karkat had handled things sooner that wouldn't have happened, although its goodness in the long run depends on if Vriska could have been talked down by someone else/some other method.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 9, 2011

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Think of it this way: there are dozens if not hundreds of timelines in which Karkat, when talking to past Gamzee and Eridan, actually said "hey, assholes, you're going to be assholes, don't" and they took him seriously and didn't. Or timelines when he fixed Gamzee earlier! They're all doomed though, because only the timeline in which Gamzee does those chucklevoodoos on his rampage creates Cal - Doc Scratch - Lord English. Gamzee going on his rampage is directly necessary for the alpha timeline to work. Karkat literally can't help but fail, and quite probably a bunch of alternate Karkats pulled their pants up to their armpits and got poo poo done, and doomed their timelines as a result.

Well, to me it comes down to the freewill vs. determinism thing that's been so predominate in Homestuck. It's obviously not purely freewill, there are some events that are set in stone and required, so the Time players will go about correcting any mistakes, but I don't really want to say that it's pure determinism either. If it was it would remove any agency from the character. You wouldn't be able to hold any character accountable for bad decisions or feel pleased when they do good, because they were required to do so or nudged that way by the Time players.

So maybe Vriska decides not to create Bec Noir in 999/1000 timelines, but the Alpha requires her to do so and things just keep piling up until she makes that choice. Kind of a lovely situation where Vriska being a good person would be expressly not allowed by paradox space.

I think that's what the Ultimate Riddle is going to be addressing- meshing freewill and deterministic fate. So its sort of the aggregate wills of all the characters in all stages of their lives shape how the Alpha timeline would/is/did play out. Like a weird mad-lib where the answers shape the questions shape the answers until things stabilize.

So Vriska is fated to create Bec Noir because she is the kind of person who would always choose to do that if given motivation/opportunity, and events play out accordingly.

Likewise, the events that result from Karkat being a coward are only fated by the Alpha to occur because that's who he fundamentally is. If Karkat were a different person deep down, then the Alpha timeline would have adjusted for that and things would play out differently. Maybe the same result would have happened, but a different path would have been taken.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

The chimney's on the other side too, looks like he just did a sprite flip again.

e/ For reference:

Oh drat that's the Betty Crocker logo on the red one there. Makes sense though.

vvv Jeff?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 11, 2011

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Wasn't the glitch the fact that the pre-scratch trolls didn't originate from their game session? Not that they could not win due to Jack Noir killing everyone like the kids, whose rise to power was seemingly caused by Karkat's improper frog breeding.

Well, Scratch did specifically say it was the symptom of the glitch, not necessarily the glitch itself. Probably one of those misleading truth things I guess.

Also, I can't wait to see older versions of Dave and Rose, if they show up. Just because a lot of their interests were defined by or in opposition to their guardians.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

marsattacks posted:

But yeah, it's unclear whether it got dressed up by RoseMom or scratchMom (oh man we really need a new name for her), but probably the latter. Which is weird, because I thought she was into science?

No, Rose just thought it was a passive-aggressive stab at her, but Mom definitely unironically loved wizards and they could have been gushing over how awesome wizards are the whole time.

Also I predict that Jane's Dad will be some bizzaro version of regular Dad who has a full bushy beard.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Comic posted:

Hmm, I don't think I caught that. I still think my line of thinking is correct, but I believe you're right in that there is more here- in some way perhaps post-scratch universes are necessary for the creation of the initial universe they were reset from? Because we saw concretely that the guardians John made were sent back to their own timeline to become the guardians they were cloned from.

The actual nature of this 'glitch' isn't really explained, though it would have to be a gitch as it's doubly paradoxial if you create yourself yet still not be the self you created.

Personally I'm saying that the glitch is affecting things so that there is some sort of travel/communication between the pre- and post-Scratch sessions. For the Trolls it was that the original players were spawned in the post-Scratch session, and for the Kids it was the Liv Tyler bunny (created by Jake in the post-Scratch and sent to the pre-Scratch).

If there is something from the post-Scratch in the pre-Scratch, then that assures that a Scratch must occur right? Gotta complete those timeloops. Paradox space, once it has an end goal (a Scratch) takes care of the rest by setting any events that lead up to it as the alpha timeline.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Comic posted:

...wait. I'd just been assuming that Karkat had been referring to 'the extra 12' trolls meaning their own ancestors, but maybe it was an extra 12 on TOP of the ancestors? If so then suddenly everything you said makes sense, as those 12 could be sent to the pre-scratch session and thus creates the inevitability of needing to be reset. Edit This is amazing I love realizing new things thank youuu

You're welcome! But I don't think you need an extra 12 Trolls. This is weird time bullshit remember? It's just that Karkat makes 24 Trolls (12 the group we know, 12 the 'ancestor' group) and they get sent off on the meteors to head through the portals to Alternia. Possibly thanks to the glitch, as they go through the meteors they are sent to both the pre- and post-Scratch Alternias. One groups becomes the ancestors in the pre- and the players in the post- and vice verse for the other group.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Doc Uzuki posted:

But in this universe, John and Jade are clones of themselves, and Jake and Jane are made up of a combination of them. And Dad's in the middle, exactly the same. Hence, palindromes.

Not necessarily. Thanks to the presence of all the items that the guardians had when John sent them to Earth, it looks like the reset-Versions of the guardians are the same ones that John created.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

So if in the regular universe, Bro landed with Cal and then became obsessed with puppets, which rubbed off on Dave, in the Scratched universe Dave landed with Maplehoof and became obsessed with horses, which rubbed off on Bro?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Well it looks like we're back to being Jake now. I'm betting we get a Bro pesterlog at some point too.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

gowb posted:

Is there an actual explanation of the time travel and scratch/rift/whatever anywhere? I still don't really understand half of what happened, or who we are even following now, or where Dave and Rose went. Or how the author character fits into all this, or what was up with the window fourth walls that John and Jade flew through.

Here and here are what you want.

Short version-

Dave and Rose are in the furthest ring, which is outside any universe/session and are not affected by the Scratch.

The Scratch resets the universe with some parameters that will lead to a more favourable outcome. Possible effects include new first guardians, as well as guardian<->kid swaps.

The characters we are following now are child versions of the kid's guardians/ancestors (Nanna, Grandpa, Mom, Bro). In this version of the universe, the Kids we know (John, Jade, Rose, Dave) landed first, and the previous guardians landed later. They will be the new players of the game. (Except it will be crashed by the previous kids and the trolls).

Hussie's self-insert started as a meta-commentary on what was going on, as well as a way to provide recaps. People were all complaining about author interference, so he was like, "No, this is how an author interferes with a story" and provided a way for John and Jade to survive the effects of the Scratch by traveling through the fourth wall.

I'm sure you know what the fourth wall is in regular usage, but in Homestuck's specific case they are physical objects, one in Jade's possession, and several in Hussie's study that allow for viewing, and travel between matching pairs.

Hussie set up two fourth walls in his study, one for the pre-Scratch universe and one for the post, so when J+J flew through one, they'd hit the other, thus leaving the pre-Scratch and re-entering the post, without being reset.

That.... that wasn't very short at all!

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 19, 2011

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I hope so (my fanfictions)

Terezi definitely implied that planets can be 'used' multiple times for more sessions. I also think in Doc Scratch's introduction page it mentions that all planets slated for intelligent life get a first guardian, which suggests that multiple planets within the same universe can be used to play the game.

What it suggests to me is that an English-less, non-corrupted universe could potentially create dozens of subsequent universes (with some chance of failure/null sessions). Lord English I think becomes more nefarious this way because he's not just destroying one universe, but cutting its potential short such that much fewer universes are created AND the ones that are are screwed up by LE's/DS's influence.

And YF-23, one pre-entry prototyping is necessary because that's what causes Skaia/the Battlefield to change through its forms (chess board, bigger chess board, cube, planet, crazyness) so that eventually Billious Slick can rest there and they win the game.

In the Kid's case, victory was impossible so they prooooobably didn't really have to, but Doc Scratch convinced Rose that they did in order to get the Tumor, which required 4 prototypings.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

KoB posted:

Didnt they say somewhere that there are supposed to be many God Tiers? I think they mentioned it when the Trolls defeated the black king by gaming the system when it shouldnt have been nearly that hard.

The god tiers are just sort of a second echeladder leveling system, so you reach the top of the regular ladder, go god-tier and then begin leveling up again as a god. Vriska got about half-way up her god-tier echeladder since she got a bunch of experience from killing the Black King.

Or did you mean that multiple people are supposed to go god-tier? Kind of ambiguous there- it's implied that players probably will as a part of their growth but the trolls kind skipped all that nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

HappyKitty posted:

What did B2's first guardian give to Earth? :ohdear:

Betty Crocker.