Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I'm pretty excited about this! It's good to have the thread back so I can do my usual lurking. I'm seriously hoping that some of the denizen plot hooks come into play. It seemed a little odd that such a huge reveal came about at what felt like the last minute. Hopefully we see a cut of Jade making The Choice.

Cavatica fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Azruelli posted:

That's a good point, a Write-up for part 2 might be also due.

Didn't we also get a write-up in the middle of part 2, though? Or is my memory foggy?

We did. http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005138 It covered all of the events up to the point where Jade prototyped her dreamself.

Edit: Fixed link.

Cavatica fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 24, 2011

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Real Spoilers: Oh I get it. Twice the mass of our universe.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I'm not gonna lie, as far as favorites go [S] WV: Ascend will always be one of my favorite flash updates. At the time, not a single question was answered! But every now and then I'll look back at it, and look at all the foreshadowing.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002657

For Hard-Mode, Terezi. She had a great exposition pesterlog with Rose, but when it comes down to it, Motherfucking Dance Party.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004679

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

Oh gently caress you I read this in a dark room at 11:57 pm.
Can Cal move on his own? I was never sure if it was him or Bro.

Cal has been moving Bro the entire time.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

CidGregor posted:

I am really glad you posted this because oh my god, her arts were probably my favorite part of Cascade and I have been really wondering who did them, but I never realized quite how many of them she did. The Rose and Dave and Dave/Jadesprite shots, and Rose in particular, jesus, those are incredible.

And apparently she's only sixteen? Goddamn, there are people in their 30s that can't draw that well.

16? Jesus. Those shots were incredible and still pull at my heartstrings. Plus the Karkat scene was great without breaking too much tension.

Also jumping on the "it gets better" bandwagon for GC. Although what really sold me was City Face.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Waffnuffly posted:

Yeah, skimming won't net you most of the details - let alone all the subtler things that you come to appreciate if you reread everything. I've read the entire story at least three or so times now and I'm still picking up new bits and pieces of subtlety whenever I go back through a section I haven't read in a long time.

Nthing this. I started and finished my third reread during the Cascade wait. In that time I found hidden Snoop Dogg and ICP pictures, realized that John reeeeeally hates it when Dave misspells McConaughey, and an embarrassing amount of Peter Pan references.

Level Slide posted:

Dave's hair looks like a bird.

D'oh!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

So does this mean that Bro has orange eyes?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I honestly don't know which log was funnier: Dave and Tavros, Dave, John and Karkat, or this. If Dave, Karkat and kidMom ever meet, it would signal then end of the comic. Hussie wouldn't be able to top himself.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

*Vriska's corpse is thrown into kernel*

I would love for this to happen just so the fandom could implode.

Now that I think about it, as funny as kidMom was, my favorite line out of the whole thing was

Jane posted:

So even if your insane and paranoid theory happens to be true, your response is, "Screw it! Time to help myself to all this mind game booze."

I just need a hero-mode of kidMom doing something drunk, and then I'll have a new avatar.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Sockser posted:

Eventually he comes clean with his father. "I have pop-pop in the attic"
His fathers response: "I can tell by the fact you call it that that you're not ready."

I'm a huge AD fan, but this one must have slipped by me. My first thought reading the update was, Dad's saying she wasn't ready to play SBURB because she still thinks attics are a thing. She needs to build up!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Bobulus posted:

It's a very good one, though.

- A1 universe trolls didn't create themselves.
- B2 universe humans have B1 items.

No other theory I've seen explains those two facts as well.

This theory holds water to me, but not just because of Poppop having the B1 book, or Jane having B1 bunnies. Given what we know about time travel and beta timelines in general, it's a substantial possibility that the meteors bifurcated. Think back to Lime-suit Dave. One choice was made, then the timeline split. I'll even go a step further and say that those beta timelines had to happen to make sure the Alpha timeline went the way it was supposed to.

It's not far-fetched to think of the Scratch as the same sort of scenario, but on a grander scale. The same rules apply, and to be honest, the clues are right there. Let's use a huge turn table to set time back far enough in the past. Let's have the Beta timeline affect the Alpha timeline. Let's have a bifurcated version of the main characters involved go through a slightly different set of events.

And as far as the items? Both Alpha Dave and Lime-suit Dave had a similar inventory before the time-split. As far as I'm concerned, Skaia had the same inventory to send to B1 and B2.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Dolash posted:

The best outcome for Davesprite is if it turned out all beta-selves from all beta-timelines end up in the dream bubbles, so that when he dies he'll see them again. We've seen beta-John, so maybe that is the case, but short of making a new life as a new person in the here and now there's just not much hope for Davesprite of finding a reason to live.

This has always been a very confusing part to me. When you first realize that we're looking at Beta-John, the first thing I thought was that the dream bubbles are effin' CROWDED. But looking at http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005810, which looks an awful lot like Bec Noir's flames, and looking at how Beta-John was burned, I can't help but wonder whether time shenanigans were involved.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

This has occurred to me in the past, but Homestuck has a pretty huge following. How likely might it be that comic book shops might actually be interested in carrying volumes of Homestuck? Do webcomics in book form tend to be sold in places like that?

The place I go has an entire section full of webcomic books, and occasionally hosts signings and panels. I've seen everything from fail-rear end CAD to Penny Arcade, and a ton of hit/miss in between. Now that I think about it, now would seem like the perfect time for me to check if there are any MSPA books.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

quote:

Heiress Sans Parent

Oh no, Dad. :ohdear:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

KoB posted:

Its seems like its pretty fated that the guardians all die.

Geez, that goes without saying. I'm just more sad that he probably won't even get a chance to be badass. That's already the next level up!

Nilbop posted:

This is exactly the White King's purpose, though.

His purpose is to lose so that the Reckoning can start. And to ultimately fulfill the timeloops shown by Skaia.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

What's up with all the heros of Life dying early? Get a grip, ladies.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Feferi died after their session ended. You're thinking of Maids!

Nope, I sure ain't! Feferi didn't live up to her ancestor's expectations. Or adulthood.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Well, come on, heroes of EVERYTHING die early by those standards. The only characters who've never died in this comic are Gamzee, Karkat, Terezi, Jade and the other three reset kids. That's if you don't assume dreamself deaths count, a stipulation which, levied, says that everyone but kidMom and kidBro has died at least once!

e: so, to codify it, I guess heroes of Blood, Mind and Rage don't die early. :o)

Suddenly the Condesce became my favorite because she's showing all these other hacks how it's done.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Snollygoster posted:

*George R. R. Martin fan stands up, and compares character death count to Hussie's

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I like the tumor callback.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I like the Rage hoodie and all, but it sort of reminds me of a juggalo. I might just be associating it with Gamzee too much, though.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Dolash posted:

It'd be pretty funny if next update Rose, Dave, Aradia, and half-dead ghost Sollux just float on down. "2up?"

Man, when you're right, you're right.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I'm gonna speculate that the last Prospit tower we're looking at is UU's, since it's implying a huge bird eye's view of everything.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Bobulus posted:

So here's a weird idea:

What if the B2 kids don't prototype at all?

Assuming Jane actually 'died' in that mailbox explosion and didn't just, like, faint, or something, then she's stuck in the session and can't get back to Earth to do it properly.

We also see a cloud vision that shows the black and white chess pieces fighting at a stalemate, as they do pre-prototyping, without it expanding or anything, which seems significant.

What if the other three kids also get into the session through alternate methods (death, teleportation, Jade's intervention, other stuff I can't think of)...or just don't prototype their sprites...and the session stays un-prototyped?

This would be really interesting, because it would free up the narrative for more English-related matters, and it would also let us see what a blank-slate session looks like.

There's normally a penalty for this: Skaia doesn't evolve and thus can't produce a new universe to live in.

But we don't know if that is an issue or not, since they might still have Jade's volcano/tadpole to fall back on.

edit: Hypothetically, Jane could get back to Earth by riding one of the meteors, but I'm not even sure if an unprototyped session, being still at a white-black stalemate, would even start the meteor cycle.

Honestly, I've been of the opinion that this session wouldn't have a workable battlefield since Cascade. Jade brought the battlefield for some reason, even though the tadpole is still on LOFAF. Add to that, Jane's Prospit doesn't have prototyping towers. Going from the books in Rose's castle, there's some sort of plot hook that's going to add orbs to the rings. The same rings that seem to be heading straight to the new session.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Waffnuffly posted:

Here, let's bring in some emergency Sweet Bro falling down an infinite abyss of stairs (originally posted in the fanart thread):

http://ib.skaia.net/post/view/33246

Also it took me a while to figure it out because I'm dumb, but you can just click and drag him around and make him go 100000mph if you want. It's great.

Holy cow, this is pretty funny.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I don't think I know of or have seen any Homestuck fans that aren't white. Food for thought.

Some are in this very thread!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

annatar posted:

They only have a couple of updates to do so before that cat is incredibly dead.

I'm actually expecting it all to be a fakeout what with all this buildup. Maybe gcat zapped Jaspers like Bec did the weird frog.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

So this is completely different from the topic at hand, but I found it interesting.

http://www.universetoday.com/18689/color-of-the-sun/

This article goes into detail about the color of the sun from outer space. It seemed pretty cool to know that the Act 6 opening flash was a more accurate depiction of the sun. I also got my calender today!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

GCat is an rear end in a top hat, and isn't nice to sniff.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Am I the only one that watched that last page for way longer than what was necessary?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

Thoughts?

New song to play over some old school Nintendo games! Thanks for this. :)

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Corkscrew horns are not unprecedented. UU's lusus found:

Fittingly enough, this fellow is called a markhor, which is apparently derived from a Persian word meaning "snake" due to the horns.

(I spent some time googling for markhor images since I didn't like the ones on the Wikipedia article and eventually settled on this one because of the interesting clone brush disaster. While doing so I ran across a shitload of pictures of hunters with dead ones. There's only a few thousand of these left, guys, what the hell.)

What disaster? I'm pretty sure every field has perfectly matched half-blown dandelion heads. :colbert:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Olivia42 posted:

Oh you guys are so nice!

Loden Taylor, thank you so much for such effort in your critique. I'm blown away. I'm a wee bit tone deaf, (the kiss of death for a trombonist, which is partially why I gave up and went to law school) and I've always needed someone to tell me "your [x] is sharp, your [y] is flat," so thank you for that. I think I understand what you said about chords. It is a little advanced for me, but I'll try it out if I record another song, which I guess I'll have to do now in order to take advantage of your wonderful advice.

The reason I made it was really because we need some kind of representation for the fuddy-duddies. I do hope I'm not the only one to submit a traditional instrument recording, because that would be a pretty poor representation, but at least it's better than nothing. I don't stand much of a chance getting on the final album, but maybe there's a good clarinetist with the same idea, or a string quartet or something other than digital mixes, which are really cool, but a little overrepresented.

OOOH! Just now typing this I decided someone needs to write a Peter and the Wolf style composition depicting the events of Homestuck where every character is represented by a different instrument. You know, piano for John, violin for Rose, I think Radiation said tuba was Karkat's instrument, and assign everyone else a similarly fitting instrument to achieve full orchestration. Of course we'd need a bunch of people who together can play about forty different instruments... I'm beginning to see a flaw in my plan.

Dammit, with your song and then Peter and the Wolf, you're really making me miss playing bassoon. I've never really had a head for composition, but if I get back in the the swing of things, I bet I can still sound vaguely decent on most instruments.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

The lengths I'll go to for a quick joke.

Man, you say quick joke, but that's pretty spot on.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Today Michael Bowman and company held a free concert in a friend's backyard. This is the first even to kick off their SXSW debut. They played a bunch of Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido, Ithaca, and various other Homestuck tracks. It basically looked like the internet had a party.

Michael Bowman Clark Powell, Erik Scheele, Mark Nabors, Tavia Morra, and me. They were all super super friendly, and just seemed really happy that so many people showed up (about 50 or so). Tavia belly danced during Even in Death, and they played Flare twice. There was even a Squiddles and How Do I Live sing-a-long. All in all, a lot of fun.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Walliard posted:

I caught the Livestream. Their I'm a Member of the Midnight Crew cover is really something.

(also Jit isn't in that picture)

Whoops, just noticed that. He was cut out, but that's his black sleeve.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

I guess these exiles could have come with her or something but it seems narratively inelegant, as that explanation would mean that some exiles probably should have been on B1 earth while humans still populated the planet and it just never came up.

While I understand this line of thinking, it's pretty reasonable to believe that not all of the meteors arrived at exactly the same time or exactly the same way, or are even accounted for at all. It's perfectly reasonable to think that the B1 universe didn't have exiles until after the reckoning, but B2 did. The B2 universe already has a different frog temple, and the reckoning hasn't happened in 2009. The other possible difference would be the entry-item meteors, but that remains to be seen.

I'm curious about the idea that there are several meteors that fall to earth during the reckoning, all carrying equipment and technology that aids in seeding the new planet. To me, there's nothing saying that Roxy's lab isn't part of this. Maybe in the B1 session, she and Grandpa Harley commandeered the lab and folded it into the SkaiaNet corporation. If this is the case, then it's possible that there are several other stations that have Universe-to-Session capabilities. There's probably one that lets you go directly to your own session/universe.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Zutaten posted:

I was just about to post almost this exact thing.

uu is the predominantly-male half of the Homestuck fandom. The ones that realize this poo poo is just loving stupid half the time and still they can't stop reading it.

and UU is the predominantly-female half. The shipper. The fanartist. The fiction writer.

Hussie you beautiful bastard, you made 'fan trolls.'

Wow, I didn't expect Luckyellow to make a cameo today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

So yeah I pretty much went straight from watching [S] Jane: Enter to getting to work on this song and pretty much worked on it nonstop.

Imperial Forces

Good lord I like this. It's got just the right amount of dread to it.