Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

glowing-fish posted:

Although in that situation, I am still not sure about what is going on with Gamzee.

You can never know what is going on with Gamzee, ever. That's just how it is with clowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would sort of like a chance to look into the alternate universe where Nepeta was the minor character who initiated Horrorstuck instead of Gamzee.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If nothing else Feferi served the purpose of preventing Vriska from blaming everything on her upbringing, since Feferi had just as many reasons to be awful as Vriska was but wasn't.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure cherub sex is in some way related to Lord English's invulnerability, since the colored auras seem to be the same. He's carrying the "can only be harmed by my mate" power, only forever and without a mate.

Presumably the kids can defeat him by making him too disgusted to perform using the only thing he is known to find disturbing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think the theme about Homestuck that makes it both brilliant and fascinating (at least in this respect) is that Hussie is making points about how characters actually develop as opposed to how they develop in stories. This is why he's constantly setting up character points only to either not follow up on them (Vriska's many epiphanies) or to have the actual development take place offscreen.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dolash posted:

It's true that just about every one of the players has at least a basic character archetype and the bones of a development arc, it's just most of them don't get the time or attention to see them through.

I continue to maintain that they don't get development as a deliberate point about how character development works in real life as opposed to in stories.

The reason why Jake hasn't gotten a sudden moment of getting it together and becoming a badass warrior instead of an awkward teenager is the same as the reason why Vriska hasn't gotten a sudden moment of redemption. It's also the same as the reason why John developed a case of being a teenage rear end in a top hat offscreen and then got over it offscreen. It's because human development (or troll development I guess) doesn't work the way stories usually present it. It's not dramatic. It happens over time.

(This is pretty much what Aranea is going on about when she talks to Terezi about truth and healing.)

(See also: almost everything that would normally be important in a story like this, such as almost everything about actually playing Sburb, happens offscreen.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

And the reason stories do not present it this way is because it often makes for miserably bad stories, as evidenced by the first three quarters of Act 6.

Such is life!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I continue to maintain that a major theme of Homestuck is "things that look important are not actually what is important" and that this is why most of the things you would expect to see are what you don't see.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tom Siddell or Meredith Gran.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Doc Scratch is kind of interesting in retrospect now that we've met the cherubs. It seems like he's a facet of Caliborn's lovely self-insert fiction just like Lord English is, but he's a lot more successful and mature-seeming than the big green guy is. I mean, Lord English just seems to be Caliborn only with huge muscles and laser eyes, pretty much like what you'd get if you asked a twelve-year-old to draw his future self. Doc Scratch is a totally different personality even if you can see the same awfulness peeking out underneath.

Just for an example, Caliborn would be completely incapable of playing Rose the way Scratch did.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Which still raises the question of who designed the game so that it has a "secret mode" where a sufficiently tenacious rear end in a top hat can acquire immortality and limitless destructive power.

The other functions of Sburb seem to have a point. An evil point, but I can see why somebody would design it! This is just crazypants.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I can think of a lot of words that fit Dirk better than "sociopath."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Something about those fingerless gloves is just so, so, very Equius.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Is it actually possible to pull this particular shenanigan on Doc Scratch?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm fairly sure Jake having no arc is a deliberate joke, although I'm not sure how well it was executed.

I mean, he obviously should be doing things on his own, but instead he's been made into a sex object that other people obsess over and struggle to possess while forcing him to wear clothing to show off his body for poorly-justified reasons, and he puts up with it because he doesn't know that any other life is possible for him.

It's just that he's a dorky hot dude instead of a busty hot woman.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Blackheart posted:

Vri...Vrisk...a? The name rings a bell, sort of?

Whatever it is, I don't think this is the time for it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Burkion posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005391 No one is allowed to poo poo talk Tavros. Not when he gives us such wonderful gems as this.

I'm not even convinced that Caliborn IS Lord English. I'm seriously thinking it's going to be another situation like with Meenah and the Troll Queen.

Do we have any spare Caliborns lying around? We have a spare Calliope in play, and actually a pretty sparse amount of dead-timeline cherubs. Is it possible that there was only one other way that their lifetimes could ever have gone?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

The Caliborn who died via Martyr-Calliope's predomination could very well still be hanging around somewhere, actually. I don't think any of the characters have ever even mentioned the possibility.

He shouldn't be dead, though; he should be absorbed into that Calliope. The alpha Calliope is only still around because Caliborn had her inappropriately assassinated and never actually predominated. (See the fusion sprites; they don't exist independently in the afterlife while the sprite they were fused into still exists.)

I'm pretty sure Lord English is what's formed when somebody prototypes Lil' Cal (infused with Caliborn's evil soul), one of Doc Scratch's omniscient seeds, and the genetic code of the First Guardians to create Scratch and ultimately English. I mean, we've already seen that happen! I don't think Caliborn needs to personally transform into English to explain everything at this point; he just needs to get his hands on the clockwork majykks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

It's either that or Karkat/John/Jade.

Remind me, how do you denote the difference between an ashen relationship name/name/name and a polyamorous flushed one?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If Dirk never appeared again in this timeline, then yeah, I would take this sequence as a visual metaphor for suicide.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cavatica posted:

Isn't it a little strange that Caliborn "finished" the game, and for whatever reason all he wants to do is make a dumb story? Didn't he detest Calliope for the exact same thing he's doing now? I'm really curious to see where this is going, because big hulking mob monster is starting to feel like a bigger leap from dumb kid that can't draw animes.

Well, it's not like he has anything else to do.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hempuli posted:

1. I read that the cherub session happens in the scratched kid universe (i.e. the Dirk/Roxy/etc one). If so, what are the cherubs, or what's their role? The universe seemed to have its own version of the carapace people so I guess they're not part of the session as "NPCs", and it seems weird that there'd be two sessions of the game played in the same universe.

The cherubs are not in the same universe as the Alpha or Beta kids or trolls.

quote:

2. What's the deal with Gamzee? He just kind of randomly appeared in his weird fairy suit, yet people keep saying that it's fake. So where did it come from? And how come Gamzee appears in the cherub world? He'd have to have spent quite a long time waiting for the cherubs after arriving in that universe, and none of the other trolls seem to be present anymore. I'm also a bit confused about his location at the time when he "regards a new beginning" and is declared the most important character.

Gamzee has been wandering around time and space via various shenanigans and nobody knows what he really wants. Maybe some of the stuff he did was even at Aranea's bidding! There's just no knowing what hilarious clowns want, or whether they're really god tiers, and even if we knew it probably wouldn't make sense.

The joke is pretty much "Gamzee is a clown and therefore doesn't have to make sense."

quote:

3. Is the condesce wrecking stuff now the same character that was mentioned in the pre-scratch troll session (aka original Feferi I guess?) or are they completely different characters but with an overlapping job description?

There's only one Condesce, although Meenah is her alternate-universe self.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Caliborn seems willing to grow, but unwilling to change. He wants to become stronger, but he's completely unwilling to give up any of the weaknesses that are holding him back or to admit that he has any faults.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm leaning towards the latter. I've heard people say "well of course LE has time powers, Caliborn is a Lord of Time." But thus far, he hasn't been shown to have any kind of powers of his own beyond cherub strength and resilience. Numerous components of LE are, or could easily be, taken from elsewhere, and I just don't see any compelling evidence that Caliborn MUST be Lord English.

He could well be, though.

He also has mind-control eyes and the ability to use whatever hex he put on the Handmaid and later the Condesce.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure there's only one Lil' Cal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I actually really like this art style.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also a matter of us not getting to see this set of conversations the first time, even though we really wanted to, so of course Hussie makes a big song and dance out of not showing it to us now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Planted a tree in his honor" is actually a pretty good gift idea for Kankri, so Dave is more thoughtful than I'd give him credit for (if it was his idea).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'd prefer for this plan to succeed if only because I don't think "the kids come up with a plan to take control of their lives" has ever actually worked yet, ever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It would be funny if "Void players create blanks in Scratch's awareness" turns out to be completely wrong and in fact all the things Scratch isn't omniscient about are the result of John meddling in the alpha timeline.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

At least that's a simple fix. Just grab all the corpses and move them to their quest bed at the appropriate time. "The appropriate time" being when Hussie needs some more of that sweet, sweet hoodie money.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Amusingly, Meenah's long-standing irrational desire to stick a fork in John has been retjohnned into having a justification.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If nothing else, they're two dangerous trolls who worked themselves into a position that neutralizes/isolates all their personality problems so that they're no longer a danger to anybody else.

Or, you know, they were.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tunicate posted:

So you're saying they're moirails?

Well, isolating themselves in the middle of nowhere while being dead is also part of it, but there's definitely something to that, also.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

The obvious result of this is that she starts bullying the Mayor and/or generally terrorising can town. From there I can maybe see them ending up in a silly half-fake rivalry/blood feud deal, sort of like what she had going on with Eridan except not murderously pathetic (because Dave is chill and couldn't harbour a one sided hatecrush if he tried)

I can't see them not interacting at all, because Dave's relationship with the Mayor is too precious for her to not try to gently caress with.

Except that Vriska will love the Mayor because everybody loves the Mayor.

More likely she, Dave, and Karkat are in a blood feud as they fight over his attention.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would have to look pretty hard to find a book where kids don't act several years in advance of their stated ages.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Paranatural is great but everybody in it is vastly wittier than a real twelve-year-old.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They'll pretty much all stop being weird and start looking like normal text once you've been with him for a while. Even Karkat stops reading like he's shouting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Dolorosa was a drinker as well, so I think it's just inherent in Kanaya—she's the troll equivalent of a dhampir or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Classtoise posted:

Huh. Then either Ghosts are susceptible, Aranea is better at jacking up Vriska's powers than we thought, or Eridan and Cronus were the "just following the mob to fit in" trolls :v:

It's a tendency rather than a rule. Aradia is lowest on the hemospectrum, but Vriska can't control her. Eridan is very high, but she can control him.