Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You know what weirdly obvious thing I haven't seen anyone talking about yet? The fact that humanity is going to get totally wiped out in the coming war.

I mean for fucks sake humans are squishy little fleshy bags of bones that live for a 120 years tops (and by the time we get to that age we're basically invalids) and trolls are giant insects who can live for millions of years and a lot of them have super powers.

It's going to be a very one sided fight.

I think the humans outnumber the trolls a lot, though, what with the reproduction laws and years of an anti-troll fascist having the levers of power and probably a lot of propaganda?
Mind you a lot of trolls have superpowers, and I'm pretty sure they've got the stronger set of Sburb players too, so I'd still give them the win, but it's not all that one sided, at least as long as it doesn't drag on a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

list of people i feel bad for after the epilogue:

jade fans
feferi fans
nepeta fans
equius fans

list of hypothetical people i would fell bad for after the epilogue if they existed:

joke fans

jane fans
gamzee fans
equius fans

Like, the best thing about those two is that they're loving hilarious, and then Gamzee was just gross and creepy in this and Eridan was creepy and barely appeared.

(Actual redemption arcs, universal forgiveness, and future relevance for them would ring false, but it'd be great if Gamzee got back on his meds and Eridan did some real (probably off screen) self reflection after meeting Cronus and seeing where he's heading, and we got some more fillery scenes with them.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

i think there's some significance to Terezi being manipulated by Dirk into joining his party bus to bullshit space or whatever with a direct line to Vriska existing as a "pocket of insolence" on her person

Well, if nothing else, she's a Seer of Mind who already has a bunch of memories from an alternate self. So, that probably puts her closer to the Ultimate Self And Now I Can Narrate bullshit than anyone else but Dirk and Rose. Could just be the most useful way he thought of to take potential competition off the board.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remember the Sburb Glitch FAQ? And the like two or three good fanfics/fanprojects?

Oh, and Freak Futanari's hilarious alternate ending?

The "two or three good fanfics/fanprojects" had better include Detective Pony.

Also, Hiveswap Act 1 was cute and funny and definitely Homestuck, but if I could trade Hiveswap Act 1 for either not having all the pauses in Homestuck proper or the entirety of what was planned for Hiveswap in comic form, I'd do it in an instant.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

OscarDiggs posted:

Good lord.

Is there any point to it?

I mean it's Homestuck, there is no point ultimately. But is there as much point to it as Homestuck itself?

At the very least, the epilogues have more Homestuck characters talking with each other, which is almost always entertaining?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

Problem Sleuth^2.

It's happening.

Merry Christmas, MSPA hipsters.

I want it to be real so bad.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Tavros and Aradia both have really good routes.

It's gonna be a bummer when Pesterquest ends cause this is the best Homestuck stuff that has happened in years.

Personally, I'm holding out hope for a Part 3! Don't know what they'd do for it, but there's a lot of options.

(Gimme Caliborn, WV, DaveSprite, and check back in with some of the Friendsim Trolls.)
((DaveSprite should reference Namco High))

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I feel like it's leaning more on Friendsim as it goes on, and it's not finished yet.
But that's mostly only for the emotional beats of the plot, there's still plenty of character moments.
(Also play Friendsim it has good characters. I'd rather have a second chapter with some of them than some of the original Trolls)

Does anyone like Feferi?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I stand corrected.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Thank jegus one of the characters finally remembered that they are literally a god and guns stopped mattering back in the Intermission.

Also trolls don't care about monogamy or childbirth so Kanaya no-selling this makes sense. What doesn't is keeping it a secret. The only thing I can think of is if theres something odd about her or they were scared of Jane finding out about her.

Honestly, between the epilogues and Pesterquest, it's been so long I sorta forgot they could do that until Vriska reminded me.
So that was a really cool moment, at least.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

There’s a bunch of characters the epilogues and HS^2 did dirty, Dirk isn’t one of them, dude was always slime

I mean, to be fair, he knew he was slime and was trying not to be and it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch for people who wanted a happy ending to assume he'd get better.

But him falling off the slime wagon, burning it down, and charging down the slippery slime slope does make perfect sense too, more sense if you want to be pessimistic.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. That's an interesting read on it. I was thinking of it in terms of "Dirk turning evil is no more or no less True than Dirk settling down happily with Jake and raising mutant puppies." It hadn't occurred to me as "You have to read Lupin's 200K masterpiece in order to understand HS^2". And I don't think that's Hussie's intent, either; I think his intent is that the stuff he controls is the stuff he controls, and the stuff fans control is the stuff the fans control, and fans are free to determine for themselves how much of the stuff he controls they consider relevant. Which, of course, they always were. Ask any Highlander fan how many Highlander movies were actually made.

I will be genuinely shocked if Hussie ever says "You have to have read Oxfordroulette's The Four Kings, the God Thief, and the Black Diamond Pirates [which btw is well written, well illustrated, has a complex and interesting plot and complicated character emotional arcs] in order for HS^3: The Moive to make sense." Oxfordroulette is now on the team, but that doesn't make their previous and future fic canon.

If you didn't read Detective Pony, you do not properly understand Dirk Strider in Homestuck^2. :c00lbert:

Also Hiveswap Friendsim is good and while it isn't necessary for Pesterquest, there are some things that likely hit better if you don't skip it.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
So, is Psycholonials just a visual novel, or does it have other gameplay going on?

I think it'd be convenient to get the Android version, but I don't want to wind up with some gameplay issues from using the touch screen.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

life_source posted:

First chapter is just a VN. I think it will stay that way, but not sure.

EDIT: The Steam page only ever references it as a VN.

Good enough for me. Hussie in bed or on chair with elderly cat here I come.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I enjoyed Psycholonials, but then, I also liked the Act 6 and the Epilogues and Homestuck^2. I basically enjoy anything with sufficiently Hussie dialogue and narration, I guess. \/:)\/
Well, anything that isn't a point and click adventure game, for some reason I can't get into those.

The plot had the usually Hussie problem of spinning up really well, and then just completely dropping the plates on the ending.
If you're gonna abandon your weird anarchist clown cult of personality, which you probably should since it was a bit of a dictatorship, you should at least try to tell everyone you don't think there should be a loving Grand Honkifex before you give up the position. Also Z spent the entire game burning her relationship with Abby, so that part of the ending felt really unearned. Not to mention the narrative choice thing when there never was any narrative choice. Also, minor personal peeve, having depression and complex grief over a breakup with someone who felt like she cured my depression, "being in love cured my depression" is a thing you're always told isn't true that feels very, very true, and is probably not a healthy bit to include.

I think I would have continued to read it indefinitely because I love the style so much, but that last chapter left a really sour taste in my mouth. Still looking forward to whatever Hussie does next, still picking up the full soundtrack, not nearly as sure of a recommendation as I was for the first couple chapters--especially Chapter 1, but that had the benefit of a lot of it hitting close to home.

Had some stuff to say about the whole colonialism thing, but 2:30 AM just hit me. Maybe tomorrow.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

Fake. No Homestuck fan has ever had sex

I have but it was with another Homestuck fan, and since ceasing to be a Homestuck fan she has not had sex with me.

So I suppose it's possible that no Homestuck fan has ever had sex with someone who is not themselves a Homestuck fan.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

dipwood posted:

The most unbelievable part about Dirk is how he's into Jake in the first place. Jake has no redeeming qualities even from Dirk's perspective.

He is canonically very hot.

Also Dirk is into boys and Jake was the only boy he knew who wasn't himself.

Mostly the hotness, though.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Game Over was the real ending of Homestuck and i will not be taking questions at this time.

I was so loving disappointed when that got undone. I was looking forward to seeing how they were going to finish the game with just who they had left.

And also finding out if Sprites can be Players, since a good number of them were both still alive and previously players.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

dipwood posted:

You can link your Davesprite-becomes-real-Dave-again fanfic if you really want.

I'm too lazy that's part of why I wanted Hussie to write it.

Also Davesprite doesn't need to become "real Dave" again, he is already a "real Dave." That's, like, the whole core conflict of his character, that's he's still Dave but nobody, not even the narrative itself, still recognizes him as Dave.

I mean until he fuses with Nepeta out of nowhere and has an Undertale reference in the final battle.

--edit
Well, in this post Game Over fancomic I read by some guy named "Andrew Hussie."

It had a lot of cool ideas but loving wow did it fall on it's face in places.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 5, 2022

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I think you will find that John plays Crash Bandicoot, Dave plays some lovely skateboarding game, and Rose plays at least enough video games to look forward to a new release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Upd8 is good.

Gotta say, also, as someone whose depression has gotten much worse since college (and much better since it's worst but still,) ow Vriska. Ow.

VRISKA: You're like a sadder, less interesting version of a guy I kind of liked talking to. When was the last time you did........ anything?