Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
He's back to making fun of his fans, this is fantastic.

Also holy poo poo, that deviantart page is real? Amazing.

EDIT: I highly suggest everyone look at the interests section of the aforementioned deviantart page.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

WAR FOOT posted:

Man, those long fingers remind me of that wacky crystal IV poo poo troll fanart.

http://crystals1986.deviantart.com/art/My-new-Homestuck-OC-Handia-in-hospital-w-crystals-360972008

Don't click it, guys.

Oh this guy. Yeah, the worst fanart thread has been taking the piss out of this dude for years now. (That thread is amazing.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Zoe posted:

People like this are why I really just feel that murder should be legal sometimes, in certain situations.

OP, uh, that might be going a bit far. It's just another indignant teenage "artist", not a war crime or something

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Dolash posted:

And what actual Homestuck fan could ask for more than to be mocked by the comic itself? It's practically the highest compliment he can give.

You'd like to think so, but this is only what the non-terrible fans of the comic think.

Most of the fans are immature teenagers who ~identify~ with the characters and completely miss that the trolls exist entirely to mock them.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

See, this is good. This is the sort of thing that happened constantly before the trolls took over the story and it all went to poo poo for a while.

Metahumor is loving awesome. Oh, and John is going to teleport around more before anything happens, I think.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

WAR FOOT posted:

I don't understand how one person can have such a disconnect in logic.

You hate the trolls, but love metahumour??

I love the original story involving the trolls, when they were solely parodies of assorted annoying internet personality types.
It's when they started being taken less as parody and more as drama-inducers that I got dissatisfied. I especially dislike the alpha trolls, most of whom seem to exist more for the purpose of exposition and plot than any mocking of internet trolls.

I guess the best way to put it is that I lost interest a bit as soon as the tumblr-fanbase really started picking up momentum: when the romantic elements of the story started taking over for a bit. Additionally, as an example of a more specific thing I dislike, the fact that Hussie created whatever-the-hell-alpha feferi's name is for the sake of appeasing the members of his fanbase with pisces astrological signs? That's something I hate.

When he started pandering to his audience instead of making fun of them, I lost interest.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 19, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Poultron posted:

Did we read the same thing? Isn't one of the alpha trolls literally an aggressively obvious SJW parody?

Sure, they're almost all parodies of a sort. The problem is, they're not being used as parodies, they're being used for exposition. Specifically, not-Vriska basically does nothing but spout exposition, and all the other more mocking trolls get shifted way into the background. Aside from a game or two, they haven't really appeared much, since they're one-shot parodies of some of the obnoxious internet users that Hussie didn't get in his initial group. They don't matter: the annoying ones are representative of the group for the sake of my annoyance. I don't want to go complaint by complaint (as in, list form,) so I'm speaking in more general terms.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 19, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Poultron posted:

You're not really making any amazing observations here considering that Alpha Vriska literally sets up an exposition booth and pays Meenah to listen to her. I'm not saying it's ace writing over here but I don't think this has anything to do with your original point at all. How does using a character to spout exposition mean that he's pandering to his fanbase, other than getting the gently caress on with the story?

Son you dumb.

Making fun of yourself for dumping exposition doesn't make it not an exposition-dump. And besides, I'm referring mostly to her actions outside of the games, which are admittedly humorous.

They're unrelated things that I dislike about the story. I didn't think it was that hard to parse what I was saying, but I'm admittedly not functioning at 100% right now, so I'm probably not being as erudite as I think I am.

The pandering came in the frequent and constant love-polygon things that the trolls were continuously involved in. Among select minor other elements, that's the kind of thing that the tumblr fanbase worships above all else. The hijacking of the plot for Dave-terezi-Karkat drama triangle time, for example, or pretty much anything with Vriska past mid-act 5 act 2 that didn't involve murder, was absolutely pandering to the people who read the story for the romance stuff.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 19, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Gato posted:

One person's hijacking/pandering is another person's plot I guess. I liked the Terezi/Dave/Karkat stuff because it felt like an natural progression of their character development - see also: Jake English. I can understand being disappointed that Homestuck has gone from a tight, self-contained ontological mystery story to a sprawling, character-based epic in serious need of an editor, but for better or worse that's the story we've been getting for years.

Fair enough. There's less outright humor and more seriousness as of late (for a very wide definition of late,) and it's not the sort of thing I enjoy about the story. I enjoyed it far more when it was primarily about the mechanics of a weird game that fucks with reality rather than its current iteration as a character study, and when the characters were driven in their actions by humor value rather than human emotion.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

My thoughts:

Karkat's basically the secondary protagonist, and I doubt Hussie has the balls to actually get rid of him like this (even though I hope he does. Not because I dislike the characters who died, but because this comic needs a resolution at some point, and this gets it on its way.) That, more than anything, makes me leery of this sticking (besides the fan outcry.)

What I'm trying to say is: Crisis on Infinite Homestucks is about to occur. Every timeline is getting merged into one.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

TinTower posted:

Even Zach Weiner recognises today :v:

I'm betting the extra update today, if there is one, is either a PSYCHE panel or a DEAD panel.

It's "coming soon".

See: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008802

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Certainly do not "RIP", you crazy wannabe mastermind.

Hussie should have had Dirk arrive at the same time John did, and had them both state John's line, IMO

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Regardless of whether the Lord English/Lord British association is or ever was true, it's been obvious for a long time that the answer is "shenanigans". There's no interesting way for our protagonists to gain enough raw power to just hit this guy until he stops being alive, if that was even a possible thing to try.

Reminder that the major namesake for this comic features the greatest use of "shenanigans" in video game history in its final boss fight.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, play Earthbound right the gently caress now.)

Sure it would be tacky, but you just know that (spoilers for the aforementioned fantastic game) Hussie is going to have the audience involved in the final battle somehow.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That was quick. There's already cosplay of Kanaya from the latest update.

Sometimes, homestuck fans aren't the worst.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

team overhead smash posted:

Hey, c'mon now.

We need these boring characters for the funny cool characters to bounce off. Rambling Dave conversations or angry Karkat ranting wouldn't be as good without a straight man there.

Well yeah, but they're also dead.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Solaris Knight posted:

Dave and Karkat are amazing but also really incompetent losers when you get down to it.

Ladies be badass. :kamina:

Roxy is fun, but jade is extremely bland

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GreenMetalSun posted:

The scores of people on tumblr desperately screaming 'how could you ever imply our perf presh bb cronus is a rapist' has driven me here, into the cold, uncaring bosom of Something Awful.

Seriously, gently caress that guy. Like, any joke Hussie could make about them would never go far enough.

why were you on tumblr in the first place

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

You guys remember [S] Descend? That was a good flash. Dream Jade trying to wake Dream John up and slapping him to the beat of the music. That was just loving insane. Descend was a great song. gently caress, now I'm remembering Jade: Enter.. jesus christ some epic poo poo went down in that one.

I agree OP, the old flashes were great

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

My personal favorite is probably jade: Enter, mostly for the music.

Also because it fully established the first giant villain on the story, and showed that no, this wasn't just going to end in a normal boss fight, this was different.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Anyone who has ever donated to a Kickstarter campaign scammed themselves and this one is no exception.

It's that phrase about fools and their money, repeated ten million times by ten million mouths.

Mighty No. 9 looks pretty okay.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

pumpinglemma posted:

Irrelevance? He's one of the three horrifically powerful beings threatening everyone's lives of their own volition (the others being Jack English and the Batterwitch now that Aranea is dead again) and he just killed Dave. The fact that he's less powerful than Lord English doesn't make him irrelevant at all.

He's been outpaced, there are multiple characters who have powers that make him effectively irrelevant in the big picture, and he has an equal who's opposed to him in all matters not relating to being a Good Dog and guarding Jade.

Also he's stopped being a character with actual personality to some degree, and taken on more and more of an "oh, another super powered animal" type of thing as time has gone on and new villains were introduced. He's basically become a giant, relatively evil dog. He was a super-ambitious menace to two entire humanoid races beforehand. That's a pretty significant downgrade, even if it's just a matter of depiction.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

KC Green ruined Junji Ito for me, and I love him for it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Rorus Raz posted:

If remember, Hussie said that, at some point during what is now "Part 1" of Homestuck (Acts 1-4), he got the idea to have kid versions of the guardians. So he basically had to stretch out Act 5 to set up the concept of a scratch resetting the session and the player switcharoo. It would explain why the pacing started to get off track, but I think we also have to consider the effect of making Homestuck basically your entire life for about 2-3 years. Something had to give there.

That could have been done really well, without even the scratch concept. Just shove a cliffhanger into the main story, and set this guardian-kids thing as an alternate universe entirely wherein the meteors crashed in opposite order, then contrive a way for the two universes to meet. It's been done by big name sci-fi authors, and pretty well at that, it's a viable option.

The big problem wasn't act 5, even if it did drag on for a while. The problem is that Hussie had no goddamn clue where to go after act 5's resolution of so many major mysteries of the comic. He couldn't just replicate the initial kids session, so he had to introduce all kinds of weird poo poo, which led to more weird poo poo, which got out of control.

I personally wish he'd just killed off every one of the alpha kids as soon as they were established characters, if only to invoke the same sense of "what the hell just happened?" that we just got from the recent flash. It would be an easy way to establish the new villain as well: have Lord English come and wreck the place, no need for Ms. Crocker. That's not to say I dislike these characters: Roxy is fantastic, and the Condesce is a serviceable replacement for Bec Noir (if not quite as intimidating.) But the characters piled up, the plot went haywire, and we got too many pages involving dialogue and character building, and too little plot resolution or creation or establishment of the villains of this specific scenario.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Dolash posted:

One of the major reasons to even have the alpha kids is to deliver on the guardian plotline from the start of the comic - each of the kids has a distant, unknowable guardian figure they don't really understand, and part of growing up is coming to terms with your parents/parent figures. They all get killed by Bec Noir before any of the kids really get to connect with them, so this new session is a chance for them to learn a little about who their guardians were.

If anything the alpha kids have a stronger thematic stake in the comic's coming-of-age story than the trolls, who were just another side-character distraction like the exiles meant to provide some background on the game that then slowly metastasized over the whole comic.

We'll have to agree to disagree. One of the big reasons I liked the guardian figures was that they were so mysterious. I was perfectly okay with only knowing them as cool parent figures who helped the kids out, and maybe having their stories explained later. But we didn't get that. We got a reversal of roles, so now it's the original kids who are doing things for myseterious reasons in the alpha session.

Let me rephrase: we still don't know why or how the guardians knew so much about what the kids (of either timeline) were doing. We still don't know what caused them to act the way they did, or how they gained such knowledge of the setting. That's the mystery that I wanted solved, not a character sketch. I expected and desired an explanation for the actions of the side characters, not an introduction of new main characters.

My source of enjoyment for the comic isn't the bildungsroman aspect of it, it's the ridiculous storyline and cool superpowers aspect of it. I guess we wanted different things out of the guardians.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Suaimhneas posted:

It's not too hard to figure out. Grandpa Harley found the frog ruins on the island, went through the transportalisers and had adventures in the Medium, then reverse-engineered the Sburb stuff and founded SkaiaNet. Mom Lalonde was a SkaiaNet employee so she knew about the Sburb stuff that way. The only mystery is how Bro was involved. Assuming he was involved, and wasn't just winging it after getting dumped into this weird other reality.

Yeah, okay, I admittedly forgot all of this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It means hussie is going to post the pages, but the server is revolting against the content.

I can only imagine this means that we're getting nothing but anime drawings.

EDIT: Yeah I just got it too.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 2, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Apache 2 Test Page! Oh man this is some serious nostalgia

This is the best update.

EDIT: "Server having some caching problems or something. I will look into it."

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'll be honest, I absolutely cracked up at "Cal Coins".

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Cleretic posted:

I didn't quite read the crowdfunding gag as a jab at his own Kickstarter (although I can certainly see it), I saw it as making fun of the overentitled assholes trying to crowdfund creative projects to replace their jobs, because they are an artist and don't want to work for a living.

With the rise of Patreon most of those idiots have moved there, so I think this joke's ringing a tad hollow just because the specific way it's telling it is a tad outdated. This one was clearly written before Patreon really started becoming a thing.

Yeah, this seemed more like a jab at kickstarter in general, not his kickstarter.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Freak Futanari posted:

I like Caliborn, because he actually puts effort into things, most of the time, instead of waddling into magical plot devices, and when he does waddle into a plot device it still takes him effort to use it. I hope Caliborn wins the comic.

For all that he's an immature manchild, he lacks the drama that is so emblematic of many of the kids and trolls. He's refreshingly evil, almost endearingly even, and if I had a choice between the oft-romantically-based angst of the original protagonists (aside from John, who seems mostly confused, and Roxy, who seems mostly drunk,) and Caliborn killing everyone gleefully, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

Then again, I loved the Overlord series partly because the villain actually wins, so maybe I'm not a very good person to give an opinion on things of this nature.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You fool, being dead doesn't he won't show up again. Stop giving people false hope.

I think I'm the only person who actually kind of likes Jake.

I like Jake. I hate everything about the romance triangle thing. It's a drat shame that three of the four alpha kids are completely inextricable from it.

EDIT: Hell, I like Dirk too. Jane I'm ambivalent on.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 3, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

Well, he might not know how to use them technically, but Dirk is pretty good at figuring out time travel (Unite/Synchronize), for example. Dirk is the type of tactician that might be able to tell John a way to move beyond random zapping.

Yes, but how would he even begin to understand the mechanics behind John's weird narrative powers, much less understand how to use them effectively?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

NextTime000 posted:

John is the only character that makes homestuck worth reading to me. Looking back, all the times I let myself fall behind or outright lose interest in the comic were the long stretches that had little or no John in it.

I feel pretty much the same way, though I'm not averse to reading about the wonderful adventures of Jack Noir or Caliborn.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It's interesting to actually figure out why you feel the way you do about different characters. I know my thoughts on them correspond to some degree with the effect they've had on the story, or more specifically, the progression of the story, and inversely to their screentime. On some level, for example, my like of John stems from the fact that he is actually important to the story progression, or at least was. Same for Bec Noir. In this respect, I rather dislike Jane, who had an entire arc where very little of consequence outside of that arc occurred.

I mean, that's not everything to it: characters I find funny like Roxy get a pass. But how much effect they've had on the story's progression towards the final confrontation with LE or to whatever intermediate goal is relevant at the time is absolutely important to my thoughts on the character.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I have been waiting for Dad Crocker to see his Daughter's dead body and punch the Condence in the face. So seriously Hussie come on, show us what's up with Dad.

Dad (both versions) is my favorite Homestuck character, bar none.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 7, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I mean, the melodrama – which is, to be fair, absolutely appropriate – does somewhat clash with the art style, and I thought Dirk's "Could you please just leave me alone." was a lot more effective at conveying a feeling of desolation than Rose's drawn out death sequence,

So I did get that sort of vibe from this sequence.

Also, that Too Many Cooks video is great.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Freak Futanari posted:

Is there a human being out there who actually managed to read more than two sentences of that FAQ without moving their mouse cursor up to click the little x in the corner of their browser

I read it!

He did a really good job of stating the specific circumstances of a story he controls and retroactively justifying it when the wrath of tumblr was found to be more than he bargained for. And yet, I'm highly skeptical of the idea that he actually thought about the system to such an extent prior to the outcry over Rose's death, or that, if asked about the definitions prior to [S] Game Over, we'd get the same answer.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Dolash posted:

I'd say it could be as simple as being "corrupt" is not a matter of willingly becoming evil but simply becoming a villain at all, even if it's by mind-control.

As I see it, the whole Heroic/Just thing has to do with your actions, rather than the motivation(s) behind them.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Which is pretty unfair, but then so is the rest of Sburb so it fits.

It's certainly draconian, though I'm not sure it's really unfair. Don't get yourself killed, you know?

EDIT: I think it's high time we got more Vriska, I can actually stomach her brand of drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I thought I had broken my habit of feverishly refreshing the MSPA website around when updates were supposed to be announced.

I thought wrong.