Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Plom Bar posted:

You all jest but in my lifetime I expect to see Homestuck Studies as a 3000-level English course at an accredited university.

God willing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, she's clearly having a conversion with someone in the first few pages of the chapter, but we only get to see half of it.

Hoping for brainghost!Egbert personally but who knows. It could just as easily be an early indicator of another terminal (from the future in Candy timeline?)... or some other setup for making people talk to themselves

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Patreon updates are on break for June, but where do you see that HS2 is? I checked the News page.

"The HS2 team going to be taking a short summer break in June. [snip]

We’ve still got another main and bonus update for you here in May, and we’ll be 8ack in the saddle starting in July."

From the Patreon post. Doesn't say it directly exactly, but almost definitely means both main and bonus updates for HS^2 are suspended until July.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Spellman posted:

characters who's mating ritual supposedly involves buckets.

Kind of tangential, but I've been convinced lately that the "genetic material" that goes into buckets is straight up just blood, drawing a connection between Kanaya being Mom themed and being a vampire. I think Toby made a joke about this in Deltarune, with Lancer having that spade bucket for catching blood. Also explains Equius thinking rap was a blood-letting ritual for determining whose flow was STRONGest; it's like he's trying to map the concept of dominant genes arising in the slurry to human culture.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Fancy Hat! posted:

This is weird, but Futurama Page is the first time a gag's truly made me go "Wow this sure is written by a completely different team of people"

Same, and funny enough I think that initial jolt made the subsequent art style change less jarring than it would have been. Viscerally primed for a new hand

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Somehow I missed the emptied cans of cat food and cat tree the last time I saw that instagram post. Hard times for D Clussie, I guess? And/or he's a were-catboy

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

there was also dave's photography interest that never really amounted to anything

The photography hobby (and the preserved dead things hobby) both kind of get abstracted into freezing motifs as the story goes on, kind of fixating on the aspect of "preserving" yourself in photos, like "immortality" as a deathly stasis. The other Time players get similar stuff: Aradia and her skeletal perma-smile get a planet of blue quartz (which resembles ice, in addition to the time-keeping associations of quartz), eternal man-child Caliborn gets "Eternity Served Cold" as a theme song... like Dave himself laments that his hobby fell by the wayside, but some related concerns are still pretty firmly embedded in the story

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
I'm in the "trans Egbert was part of original Homestuck" camp, personally. To sum up one approach...

One theme of Act 1 is this preoccupation with an ideal forms of things, John having multiple instances of saying [thing] isn't a REAL [thing] unless it has xyz characteristics. "A fire BELONGS in a fireplace, categorically." One of those ends up being about masculinity, with John saying a gentleman without a monocle is a piss-poor excuse for such. From that you can tentatively gather that stuff like John saying the beaglepuss sucks as a disguise is like, John kind of grasping at this ideal of masculinity exemplified by Dad and getting frustrated that he can't seem to measure up to it (ie that masculinity feels "fake" on him).

Later it gets established that John has some kind of fear of heights: the first ogres appear after John experiences vertigo from almost falling off the stairs, and again after getting launched by the slime pogo. (Just like how Karkat suspected he was given a planet covered in his own blood as a form of torment, Sburb probably placed John's house on that needle plateau because of the fear of heights). This becomes relevant to Dad stuff after the ogre fight's over, when John is hesitating to jump down into Dad's room: it isn't just that John's nervous about entering the room for the first time, the descent itself makes John anxious. But I think this serves to establish that the fear of heights and anxieties around Dad are related somehow, if not synonymous -- they get associated again at the beginning of Act 5 Act 2, when dream John tries to jump over a canyon to reach Dad but wakes up mid-leap. The formal reason John waking up is Vriska of course, but ignoring her you're left with John approaching Dad and immediately experiencing vertigo. (The name "June" comes from Vriska contacting John shortly after this dream, incidentally)

This comes up again when John finds Dad's wallet and gets overwhelmed by the prospect of Manhood and the responsibilities it entails -- next thing you know John is flying around in Dad's car, having fun... and after the scene is interrupted by Seek the Highblood, we return to find John crashing the car (a fall from the sky) and talking with Vriska about dread surrounding societal expectations, and the possibility of rejecting them to pursue something different for yourself. John came into the scene worried (if quietly) about the expectations surrounding manhood, so the Vriska conversation retroactively makes those concerns seem more central.

The car crash is itself kind of a metaphor for that conversation's trajectory... like in Act 6 we see something analogous play out among the Dersites who have gotten into dapper-wear: one Dersite sits on a hat, panics about ruining it, and then begin to wonder if perhaps a crumpled hat could have an aesthetic value of its own. (Dirk expresses this sentiment more bombastically: "...the next best thing. By which you mean, the vastly superior thing.") Dad Crocker swoops in to condemn the crumpled hat, but the tentative revaluation of an apparent failure mode is something the scene shares with Vriska, who initially regards her ambivalence towards murder as a symptom of personal failure. John enters that conversation with a crumpled car, and from context we can guess John's revaluation concerns "failing" to be a man in the way Dad is, and how maybe that doesn't need to be considered a failure.

As laid out so far, I guess none of this quite entails trans-Egbert, since people can come at "anxiety around prospect of embodying masculine ideals" from a number of angles... but there are details around Seek the Highblood like Equius self-consciously roleplaying as a catgirl or John gazing out as Vriska's boots form a huge red X-marks-the-spot over her groin... which make me think self-deprecating thoughts like "I'm a failed man" are maybe comorbid with a budding sense of being a girl, in Egbert's case

There's other stuff but I think that's the simplest case for it.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
My current understanding of Hussie's oeuvre is that it's similar to Inglourious Basterds, where Nazis get decimated by Jewish bogeymen straight out of their own propaganda. Psycholonials is likewise a riff on apocalyptic, paranoid views of the Left, which is why America slowly succumbs to an infection of genderqueer, Chinese-Communist, antifa super soldiers. It's the imigrants??... joke from SBaHJ, complete with harsh image compression, but stretched across 9 chapters. Similar stuff is going on in the underbelly of Homestuck, and there's a lot of jokes in Hiveswap (Friendsim too) predicated on recognition of anti-USSR sentiment -- references to Laika, nuclear war, Russian puns in the new troll names, etc.

So while it might not be the cause of the exact tensions you're referring to, some of the dissonance in Psycholonials is caused by Hussie reframing the villain of a right wing narrative as the protagonist, while leaving various uncharitable misrepresentations from the original telling intact. You might call it slur reclamation

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Not gonna comment on Psycholonials cause I haven't read it, but this is a really weird read on Basterds.

Granted, but I think it accounts for a lot! Like the movie includes a propaganda film about relentless slaughter of the enemy to point a finger at itself, and the title is misspelled (and a bunch of characters have bad accents) because the movie's self-consciously rooted in the little various misrepresentations that propaganda involves. One example: the movie seems to have this sort of infantilizing attitude towards the Nazis, having Colonel Landa ask for milk (and later, lots of cream), having the Nazi that the Basterds let go promise to be good and hug his mother... like Nazis have to be depicted as man-children, as a rule.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Basterds are nothing like Nazi propaganda of Jewish people. They ain't scheming, greedy, or manipulative. They're just performing direct violence. Like a large part of the Nazi propaganda machine was dedicated to saying that Jewish people were unwilling to do violence themselves and had to trick other people into it. Jewish soldiers are a direct refutation of that.

You know what, fair cop, the Basterds ARE straightforwardly macho. Lemme start over:

Everyone's familiar with verbal irony, saying the opposite of what you mean, but there's also an irony where that shuffle happens visually. Stories can operate like Caliborn's "enchantment" where he switches the crowns on the King and Queen to gently caress with Calliope, but with characters instead of chess pieces. Strictly speaking this is just a description of symbolism, people can represent stuff, but remembering the potential for outright deception can be helpful

John Carpenter's first Halloween movie is an example of this: Michael's stark white mask is ironic, concealing a paranoid fantasy about people with black skin. The murderer-housing insane asylum is a deliberate misrepresentation of the violent, chaotic city, as it might appear to anxious suburbanites; Carpenter returns to the motif in Escape From New York, where the entire city literally becomes a hotly policed prison. Dr. Loomis raises a big stink about how Michael is the very embodiment of evil; in another scene, we get a glimpse of some spraypaint on the suburb's sidewalk that just says EVIL, connecting the concept to urban graffiti. Loomis tries to scare trick-or-treaters away from Michael's house by pretending to be the owner; he assumes a deep voice with a drawl to do this, as though he's imitating a black guy. So despite being a white guy, Michael represents a black guy -- or rather, a hulking black bogeyman in the mind of white suburbia, going on a violent, occasionally sexualized rampage.The movie's a veiled riff on racism.

Inglourious Basterds engages in this same sort of misrepresentation, but places it inside of a narrative that's already a strike against antisemitism. I've seen it said that Tarantino put all the Nazis in an oven at the end (invoking the Holocaust) to induce a sting of guilt and make the audience question their enjoyment of the violent spectacle. This is basically right, but I don't think Tarantino was just pulling a Wow Doesn't Relishing Cruelty Make Us as Bad as the Nazis? sort of maneuver... the guilt is partly a hint that the Nazis, as represented in Tarantino's commentary on propaganda films, don't JUST represent Nazis: in this case, they also represent gay people. That's why the movie paints them as narcissistic mama-loving man-children (as effete and unmanly), and why Aldo refers to Nazis as "weiner-schnitzel licking" and as "pecker sucking". Homophobia gives an irony to Hans Landa delivering the speech about the instinctive, visceral disgust for rats.

So while the Basterds have their own little quirks marking them as Jewish bogeymen, in their capacity as macho manly men they're also servicing a reactionary fantasy of lashing out at un-manly men (a pejorative framing of gay guys). I'd like to think this is one of the motive forces for making sure the final slaughter is unsettling -- gotta jar people into noticing they're watching a propaganda film.

Tangential: the recent rewatch also made me appreciate how Aldo Raine kinda sounds like Alderaan. Good name for someone taking out stormtroopers...

Anyway I tend to suspect Homestuck has stuff like this going on under the hood, which is part of why its relationship with skin tone and such is so tenuous and cagey.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Question for you all: what's a story you've read/watched/played that you find most similar to Homestuck? For me it's One Piece: another modern epic with impressive scale creep, a knack for extracting real emotional gravitas from what at first appears to be a joke, jarring intrusions of real celebrities into the cartoon world (eg the marine admirals), irrepressible clowns, and a sense of grand conspiracy that coincides with a sort of in-built distrust of its own narrative... among other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Samovar posted:

Undertale. And Deltarune.

True. I dig how Flowey offering to shoot a sad child with lethal "friendliness pellets" and Kanaya threatening to sic a gun-toting Hope Wizard on a dream-suicidal Rose are similar jokes