Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

***THE THREAD IS CLOSED WHILE HOMESTUCK IS ON HIATUS***

I WILL OPEN A NEW ONE AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS, WHEN THE COMIC RESUMES

ANDREW HUSSIE presents a WEBCOMIC that could only inhabit THE INTERNET. ANIMATED SIMILITUDES, EUPHONIOUS SOUNDS, and INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA FLASH DOCUMENTS accompany adventure game narration. It's a delightful SMORGASBORD of humor, drama, and imagination written in mile-high neologisms like SYLLADEX, CRUXTRUDER, and CERAMIC PORKHOLLOW.

This year's adventure? HOMESTUCK.

Four children are destined to play SBURB, a video game with real life consequences and the power to IMMANENTIZE THE ESCHATON. You know, end the world?

OUR HEROES...

John Egbert, aka ectoBiologist on Pesterchum.

Rose Lalonde, aka tentacleTherapist.

Dave Strider, aka turntechGodhead.

Jade Harley, aka gardenGnostic.

---

And years in the future, but not too many, we may meet...

The Wayward Vagabond.

The Peregrine Mendicant.

---

And deep in a kingdom entrenched in darkness, we may meet...

Archagent Jack Noir.

---

You have entered a thread. What do you do?

> Read MSPAINT ADVENTURES.
> POST

Zoolooman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Please direct your attention to the following request. This thread will be about speculation on the upcoming end of act flash and your excitement about more Homestuck.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

I like to imagine that in a normal session, a Scratch is exceedingly difficult to complete, and the fight it causes is nearly unwinnable. I imagine the sheer difficulty of the encounter means that most of your remaining party will die.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

DocFrance posted:

That's assuming that normal sessions exist. Or OTHER SESSIONS AT ALL exist. I don't think they do, and considering that the omniescient narrators are ALSO unreliable narrators, I think that's not such a stretch!

e: Also considering that the trolls and humans were responsible for the creation of the Green Sun, which is the energy source for the First Guardian, an aspect of every session. So these two sessions are at least incredibly special.

They're incredibly special, but I'm not going to make the radical leap that they're the only sessions. Consider how many times we've been told outright that everything possible is out there. This is paradox space, and there is a lot of implication that there are endless sessions, many Doc Scratches and plenty of universes devoured by Lord English. These are just the unusual worlds involved in the birth of the Green Sun.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

There's no suggestion that these are the first sessions either. A different off-screen session created the troll universe, after all. These are very important, bizarre sessions that are intimately connected and form the basis for the creation of a vital entity in Paradox Space, the Green Sun, but they are not necessarily the first or the last.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

People are worrying too much about how Jack's universe-murder and the Scratch interact.

Think about it like this. The Scratch overwrites the universe and makes a divergent, fresh alpha timeline. Jack will have always killed the pre-Scratch universe at the end of the pre-Scratch timeline, but he will not necessarily have killed the post-Scratch universe at the end of the post-Scratch timeline.

If you're asking where this universe came from, it came from the same frog, but the Scratch has created a second future for it. This is nothing new. These time travel cloning mechanics have already appeared in the story.

Both histories will exist. The pre-Scratch history and the post-Scratch history.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Lord English is unspeakably evil and binds female victims into death pacts. He can only enter universes through their deliberate destruction, summoned by a ~ath program bound to reality's fate.

You need way better reasoning than what you've suggested to make a good guy (or anyone in this comic for that matter) into Lord English.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Let's not be confused about why Lord English is evil. Above and beyond all the personally evil poo poo he pulls, he is responsible for whole universes being destroyed.

Anyone looking for another purpose is missing the point. His grim procession is to destroy entire universes shortly after Sburb occurs, thereby entering them so that he can destroy them. He is the destroyer chasing after creation, annihilating whole universes in the process.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

President Ark posted:

I'm rereading Homestuck and I'm in act 5 and I noticed a huge plot hole that will blow this poo poo wide open.

How does Vriska know Italian? :downs:

The same way Troll Will Smith was born. Echoes down through paradox space. Or more accurately, Italian got it from the trolls.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

loquacius posted:

Odd how Karkat keeps using the past tense to describe how Gamzee WAS his best friend, over and over. At the time I (like everybody else) assumed that meant he was dead, but I guess not!!! Is moirallegiance considered a completely different thing, or is he just too goddamn terrified of him to consider him a best friend anymore?

On another note, it really feels like Homestuck has made it in the world when searching "Homestuck" on a smartphone ringtone app yields 9 relevant results.

on a third, completely unrelated note, Showtime is now my ringtone

It used to be that Gamzee was Karkat's moirail. Now it's the opposite.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

The pre-Scratch/post-Scratch stuff shouldn't be so hard. Yes, the hard reset has occurred. However, the pre-Scratch universe still existed, and things which left it before the reset have a coherent history going back into that pre-Scratch world. No contradiction there. From the perspective of paradox space, there are two Earths now, pre-Scratch and post-Scratch. Jack destroyed the pre-Scratch universe pretty far into its life. He hasn't touched the post-Scratch universe yet.

If you're wondering where the frog with the new universe is, you're still not thinking with the tools the story has given us. It's the *same universe* with a different history starting at another point. Thus, you can think of the post-Scratch universe as a new history for the same genesis frog.

It is a second history, a new alpha timeline distinct from the old one.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

You're not thinking about this given the tools at hand.

He destroyed the universe in the pre-Scratch timeline. The Scratch creates a second, new, divergent timeline. It is to be seen whether or not Jack manages to destroy the universe in its new history, since the device likely didn't send him to the Medium in its post-Scratch timeline.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

The story goes out of its way to explain that there are multiple timelines and that a scratch makes a new, alternate one. If there are further interactions or stipulations, we are yet to see them. When they occur, we can amend our knowledge. Until then, what I've said is what the story has given us.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

The point where people are disagreeing is that inside the frog and outside the frog are separate timeline bundles. The scratch makes a new in-frog alpha timeline. What does that mean outside the frog? Search me. You're suggesting that it creates an entire new meta-timeline where the frog itself did not originate in the troll session, or that it wholly or partly resets the troll session as well, or something of the kind. It's certainly an option, but it also is not part of what the story has explicitly given us.

I don't think we're disagreeing here. I'm suggesting that there's nothing yet in the story to say that Jack will be destroying that post-scratch universe either. This is part of the mechanics To Be Determined. I'm merely taking to task the notion that Jack cannot exist after the Scratch, because as far as paradox space is concerned, there are two timelines, and Jack can come from the old one.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

I like that the Overcoat is also his time travel device.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

The yard allows us to see both walls instead of having them smashed together. It also gives us a nice name for the mechanism used to bridge realities.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Jane, Jake, Lil' Strider and Lil' Lalonde are not related. They're paradox clones and are only clones of themselves. John & Jade are the paradox children of Jane and Jake. Rose & Dave are the paradox children of Lil' Strider and Lil' Lalonde.

Hussie has made this abundantly clear in explicitly stating these facts and in referencing the implications that Jane & Jake were supposed to be romantically destined for each other.

The children, on the flipside, must follow Karkat's brilliant breeding program. :>

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

For years, people have attempted to finger the fifth column in Homestuck. Why? It's such a fruitless line of thinking. There's only been one character who was secretly evil (Gamzee), and that was his gimmick. There's never been another solid reason to believe that anyone else was secretly evil.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Ominous Jazz posted:

Well, what about Scratch? I would count him.

He explicitly told the reader that he was the lieutenant of a very evil man almost immediately after his introduction. He was a villain from that point forward.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

I'm raging against speculation that Rose/Dave/Aradia are secretly evil or UU is secretly evil or Jake is secretly evil etc etc etc.

That poo poo is shotgun speculation. If you say everything, you might say something true, but in the meantime, you'll spew a bunch of ridiculous crap.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

pandaK posted:

And where's the evil part of Gamzee?

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005345

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Doc Scratch wasn't secretly evil, but he wasn't overtly evil.

I didn't actually pick that he was an antagonist until... I think the time Aradiancestor turned up. He doesn't make it specifically blatant, but he never says otherwise.

I've seen several people say this. I think there were two ways people read him. One was to take him at face value and trust what he said. The other was to believe that he was the archetypal Devil-figure, who lies by telling only the exact truth.

The latter is how I read him, since he clearly told the audience that he was the first lieutenant of the Big Evil.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Don't overthink it. When the narrator says he is an officer of a demon, you can assume he's evil and continue from there. When he brags about always succeeding in summoning his master, you can redouble your judgement.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

If you think shotgun speculation is the only method, then you're reading a different story than the one I'm reading, because the one I'm reading makes sense. Shotgun speculation is only necessary when the outcomes of the story are completely unpredictable, which is not the case here.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

FewtureMD posted:

I think that land pillar is supposed to represent a player who is "separate" from the rest for whatever reason. For example, it could be Jake's because he is the only human player (so far) to start off with a dead dream self.

It's Derse silly. :>

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Doc Uzuki posted:

Being stuck on an empty spaceship flying through an empty void for three years with nobody around but your sister can't be good for social development.

They have five planets to explore filled with denizens and life.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Lupus Rufus posted:

I think Hussie actually got the time dilation wrong. If Hussie observes the ship in his room for a span of 3 nanoseconds, then Jade and John would experience that event in LESS than 3 nanoseconds, according to special relativity; not 3 years. This is really simple relativity exercise, and it kind of bothers me that Hussie got it wrong.

Thus, I have to dismiss this as "weird time poo poo". It's not the first completely insane thing that's happened in Homestuck.

He knows how it works. He hosed it up in Problem Sleuth as well (but in a different way), told everyone how it should work but then said he didn't care.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

She decapitated Hegemonic Brute.

He's the archagent. The only positions above him are queen and king, and they've got rings (normally).

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Seoinin posted:

Whether the "a-racial" thing is intentional or a dodge it doesn't change the fact he pulled that tired "NO IT YOU WHO ARE THE RACISTS (and then you were the racists)" poo poo that is positively redolent with the whiff of privilege.

I thought he was saying that the notion that the kids "couldn't be anything but white" was racist because it implied that non-whites couldn't make sense in the story. That strikes me as a much more convoluted and confusing position.

I'm not going to draw any conclusion beyond that because I have no horse in this race.

Zoolooman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 17, 2012

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Pet grammar peeve here. :>

English has widely-used, singular gender-neutral pronouns.

"They" and "their."

You can find examples of this usage in Shakespeare. It was correct hundreds of years before anyone thought to say it was incorrect.

18th century grammarians tried to ban this usage because Latin doesn't have an equivalent, but they failed. People have consistently used the singular "they" in published literature for nearly half a millennium.

So if someone tells you that the "default" in English is "he," they're echoing an arbitrary rule made up by a stuffy prescriptivist two centuries ago. In real English, as it is used in virtually every field of published writing, the "default" or gender-neutral singular pronoun is "they."

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Paul.Power posted:

Between this and the taboos against split infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions, Latin-loving 18th century grammarians have a lot to answer for.

No poo poo. Everything they banned is widely used. Certain ideas can only be expressed in English with a split infinitive. Many sentences ending with a preposition would become nonsense if they were shuffled to avoid the "mistake."

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Starmaker posted:

The thing about "they" is that it's vague, and usually used for "gender unknown." A lot of the ze/zir/whatever intentions is that nowadays we're more aware of intersexed and transsexual people, where their gender is known and it is neither male nor female. "They" is for either, ze/zir/etc is for neither.

"They" isn't used for "gender unknown" and it is not vague. "They" is used to refer to any person without requiring reference to any gender whatsoever.

Examples:

"Why aren't you on the phone with the customer?"
"They hung up."

Certainly the speaker knows the gender of the customer, but they'll happily refer to them with a gender-neutral pronoun.

"Who was at the door?"
"Pizza delivery. I gave them a tip on your credit card."

Again, the speaker knows the gender of the delivery person, but because the pronoun is referring to the gender-neutral noun, "pizza delivery," the speaker uses "them."

This isn't an argument against the creation of pronouns indicating other gender states. I think we could use them. But if your reason for creating them is because we lack a gender-neutral singular pronoun? Then I'm telling you, that's not a good reason. Again, pet grammar peeve.

Zoolooman fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 24, 2012

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Lady of the Beech posted:

A fellow descriptivist! :D Let's make out and have hot linguist sex

As for the alternative trigender pronouns: I'm not one to use them myself, but if someone wants to be called "ze" I wouldn't complain. I'm personally in the singular "they" crowd.

On Dirk being gay: I actually kind of didn't notice at first, I was like, aww, he has feelings for Jake? That's kind of sweet. It took me a little moment at first to realize, yes, Dirk and Jake are both guys, and yes, this makes Dirk gay or bi.

I don't think it's pandering to the yaoi fangirl community at all, just, you know, writing a character. Who happens to be gay. Or bi.

On Kanaya being a lesbian: I haven't been following her sexuality very closely, but aren't all trolls bisexual with no concept of homosexuality or heterosexuality? If so then Rose may as well be a guy and Kanaya would still have the same feelings.

Hi-loving-five!

Descriptive grammar is like an intellectual frog hunt through a verbal jungle. English has very loose grammatical structures with the capacity for an almost endless nesting of constructions. Whole ideas are commonly shoved into the predicate of a passive construction.

Rewriting that last sentence to prove it:

It's common to shove whole ideas into the predicate of a passive construction.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Lady of the Beech posted:

I'm apt to argue, by way of human nature, all languages have a kind of looseness and flexibility. It's just that it's different for every language.

It's about the written language, not the spoken. Written Latin tends to be very formal because they maintained tight grammatical rules. Spoken Latin was apparently very loose and informal. It had a ton of loan words.

English allows most of its loose nature to creep into writing.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

She's saying that she'll meet Rose.

Rose from A was her daughter.
Roes from B was her mother.

It's all one Rose to meet.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

There's also the matter that only session players seem to get dream bubbles. They dream on Prospit or Derse if their dream self is alive, or, if not, they dream in the Furthest Ring. We've seen one other character dreaming (WV), and it seemed to be a conventional dream, because of course he has no dream self and never did.

If the dream bubbles are only possible because the Gods of the Furthest Ring are coughing them up, then I think that still means that this is the normal afterlife (at least for session players), because all the time bullshit associated with the Furthest Ring means that they've probably always been blowing dream bubbles for humans and trolls to hang out in.

On the other hand, if whatever's threatening them (Lord English) is defeated and they stop because they no longer need to furnish the heroes with a means of reviewing the past and the beta timelines, that would be a satisfying entry on the list of things that their victory will set right.

I must admit I hadn't caught on to the thematic value of this depiction of the afterlife. You're right: in a coming-of-age story, not only is the only failure that matters the failure to look forward, but death itself means being stuck in the past forever, or, in other words, there's no difference between being stuck in the past and dying.

Aradia points out quite clearly that eventually they move on from memories into something of their own devising. The afterlife is not hell, nor are you trapped.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Karkat is aware that women are people too. He even upbraided Eridan for it. This is born from a deeper desperation.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

I want replacement tracks. Feels thematically strange with two ancestors missing. :(

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Please keep the pointless chatter to a minimum during this period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Ask the thread not to implode.

Thread implodes.