Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

so how fast are John and Roxy gonna die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

krakagar posted:

That's got to be how it's going to end though, right? Caliborn/ Lord English doomed to forever be already here, trapped completing the same loop in time constantly, while the kids escape from paradox space into their own new universe, free from horrible time shenanigans and fuckery.

Also, this update was good and made my eye wet.

This except John and Roxy die in a permanent they-build-a-memorial kind of way- I mean it's kind of obvious, and follows with the deal they made

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The final panel: robots everywhere

Show Dialoglog:
PAK CHOOIE UNF
~THE END~

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

https://twitter.com/doctorwhatsa/status/719721174670970880

Doctorwhat is the Daniel Day-Lewis of homestuck reviews.

[S] Climb.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

we all know how homestuck will end

how could anyone argue that fans finishing the series is a bad thing in the face of this

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Plom Bar posted:

The more I think about Act 7 the more I like it and the happier I get

I am in the kind of agreement commonly expressed by emptyquoting

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

also pupe jokes

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Dream casting:
Paul F Tompkins and Lauren Lapkus as everyone full stop the end

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

John Cleese as Hussie

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the thread can't stand the incredible structural strain and is snapped right in half

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tollymain posted:

she's got a lot of weight on her fat

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

guys it's an incomplete story that went off the rails about an incomplete story that went off the rails

I love it

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

in other news, i was talking to a friend about which Strife Specibuses we would use, when we play Sburb, and she said she would use macekind... so i drew her an insanely dope weapon.

you are a salve to this irritating thread

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

p.s. idk why you're acting like its a big deal for me to do something insanely dumb and retarded when thats all im capable of

In my decade on the forums I've found that this is exactly what goons are for

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Act 7 was good and I liked it, it was a finale that contravened dramatic expectations beautifully

making GBS threads blood just hurts

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

One Weird Trick to Eliminate Anal Fissure Discomfort: start 'batin to it

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the last bullet point is like a perfect dessert

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Dog Kisser posted:

yeah wow 17776 is phenomenal. I'm, however, not sure who in my life I can even share it with!

I kinda get what you're saying (it crashes both of my Kindles, gotta read it on PC, for instance), but its about ten million times more recommendable than Homestuck imo- not least because it's shorter and has a planned end date in a few days, but also because I'm in my 30s and the visual style is leaps and bounds more mature

like my dad is way into science fiction and football and reading internet articles at the kitchen table on a laptop- probably gonna link into him after its complete

Jon Bois is also really good at tying in little local Americana stories and I dont know why its so satisfying, all I know is that right now he has me worried for a day about the fate of a very old lightbulb

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Hussie is like the new-media Velvet Underground in that he's talented but the people he influences are the ones who are gonna make better, more accessible stuff

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

he was an avatar of japery and illusion and I assumed was going to play more of a role in Homestuck but alas

btw Homestuck was a good ride that did some cool literary tricks, and I might re-read it now that there are summaries for the video game parts I never got into- but I can't help but think that if you could go back to when Problem Sleuth was waning and showed me the state of MSPA, I'd be incredibly disappointed that he hadn't made 2-3 unrelated adventures but instead went whole-hog on the Sburb concept

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

that Act Omega or whatever does a pretty good job of it but it's missing a certain madness

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

troll names for a cursed idea
Jeremy Corbyn
Angela Merkel
Teresa Maymay
Donald Drumpf
Steven Bannon
Mister Beeaan

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

my unironic take on Homestuck is that you can dislike the final product but if you have the fortitude to soldier through the whole god drat thing without having at least a few points that make you crack up laughing like an idiot then you're obviously doing penance for some obscure sin or another

some of the best and biggest laughs the internet has gifted me came from Hussie and Homestuck, and I struggle to find something else online that captures that essence

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the only homestuck thing I've seen from people I know irl is my ex-gf's 17yo daughter posting that "it's a silly thing I was into when I was a kid"

so really the positivity and negativity ITT is more balanced than my narrow experience of being like the only person I know in my life who is online enough to know who Hussie is (tho my less online friends post SBaHJ edits)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or the last option, he had a really in depth knowledge of second string white nationalist writers on Breitbart to the point he knew which one would go on to be nationally known.

that's true of most online leftists tho

lots of reasons to say "gross move, horsefucker", but this one is like getting mad at German communists in the early 30s for saying that Hitler's a threat

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

"curious that you oppose racism and yet have an encyclopedic knowledge of the KKK's history, Southern Poverty Law Center"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it's really hard to pin down since I read this beast over the course of a presidential administration but the characterizations in general seemed to fall apart in the latter third or so

there's a good and funny Polygon/Brian David Gilbert video on mapping Kingdom Hearts' canon onto the hero's journey; would like to see a Homestuck diagram covering the entire surface of the moon in 8pt font

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

also, not voiced by Gilbert Gottfried

a faithful animated sound version of homestuck must include all trolls being voiced by people doing middling-to-awful Gilbert Gottfried impressions

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I think it fixed the ending while also setting up for more later- production is no longer driven for Hussie reasons, but for Viz Media LLC reasons. A lot of this story is about relevancy, about characters remaining alive in the minds of readers and fans- and that relevancy is essential not only to ideas of canon, but to maintain public interest in an original IP purchased by a company that mostly just translates other peoples' work

this was a good read with a poo poo ton of symbolic references to the act of engaging with a text so it's very much my jam- goddamn I've been in this swamp since I started reading Problem Sleuth at 24, now I'm in my late 30s, and the influx of teen fans from 2012 onward or so has made MSPA's tone seem like something more and more not For Me, like I'm an old man hanging out at Chuck E Cheese because they have some really good arcade cabinets

seeing the kids age past me in Candy was interesting- grappling with the alienation that comes with your friends coupling up and starting families has been a thing my friend group has been going through for a lil while now, and being able to relate to adults directly, instead of relating to kids in a 'ahhh I remember that' way, is something I didn't know I wanted out of Homestuck of all things, but here it is and it was good.

also I really liked the more traditional book format (though if I had to guess, going that way had more to do with making it printable and quicker to produce- but I still liked the result!)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

idk, I think Caliborn/English's control over the narrative is dead- I mean I read this yesterday on my patio between hoots off a one-hitter, so maybe I don't remember precisely- but iirc we never see anything from his perspective, we don't hear him speak, we don't know what he's thinking, he's become more sibling-possessed dog-dick-lady dinner-item than character in the epilogue

I really don't think Caliborn could set his ego aside enough to do the smart thing and fade out to controlling things from the background, as it were

I think that theory comes from a desire to make Dirk redeemable, from exactly the sort of people that tend to wind up abused and controlled by people like Dirk

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh there's no way it's over, as long as there's revenue to be made- and I don't mean that in a cynical bitter way, like if I were talking about arms manufacturers or the tobacco industry or fast food or w/e. It's still a commodification of culture? Pretty low on the capitalism sin list tho.

speaking of verging into cspam, I noticed something in Dave and Karkat's initial planning: Dave, for all his protestations against neoliberalism, is such a fuckin lib. And it's dropped in there as something he and Karkat address very briefly and then move on from, something like "of course we wouldn't want to change what it would societally mean to be turbo-rich"- and that REALLY stood out to me. It says really interesting things about his character- he is obsessed with the economy, but has a tremendous blind spot to leftist thought on it. He seems to want nominally leftist outcomes, but will never achieve them politically as long as he holds the resources he currently enjoys. This is an old story we see every day, it's the young (and usually white, male) social democrat who wants to 'save capitalism'. What makes it interesting is that Dave isn't clinging to his status and wealth out of the stereotypical greed or megalomania, but for a sincere and unhealthy desire to have what it takes to be a fixer. This is an interesting point about how power structures that reinforce class hierarchy create victims even in the more materially comfortable members of the ruling class, how the entire thing is a sickness to all.

*schniffs*

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

this epilogue I think ranks as the best thing that I cannot recommend to anyone

step aside, dwarf fortress and cats

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Spoiler for MEAT, do not read until you've been there.
Somebody already brought up in this thread that Obama is quoting Dirk and appears to explicitly be a Dirk puppet designed to get Dave into the Davebot.

and a running quote too https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahomestuck.com+%22combat%2C+philosophy%2C+life%2C+love%22 and I don't think that's an exhaustive list of calls to it?

it didn't ping while I was reading it except for 'oh hey its that catchphrase'- why does Gamzee tutor Tavros Crocker along those lines? something Dirk stuck in there before killing himself? I feel like he was in at least some narrative control of candy until he decided to focus efforts on meat, I'm just not sure how much.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

^^^
e: oh this makes sense, yeah- it definitely works as being ominous, even before someone on the internet points out the motif

Dolash posted:

I was gonna say that despite knowing how Caliborn's Masterpiece went down more or less and that actually going through the motions seemed kinda pointless[spoiler], it actually started seeming interesting in the lead-up, then it skipped over going through the motions anyway. Which I guess has been the tone of the Meat updates mostly, skimming over reunions and conversations with disinterest born of being sort of tired with everything but grinding out What The Plot Requires.

aw hey yeah for sure- the time spent inside the juju is really heavy-handed, in retrospect
(that's probably the best way to be heavy-handed)

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 22, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

aw gently caress, its hitler

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm going to be a filthy shipper for a second there and say that I like the idea of Meenah <> Karkat.

ahh yeah that thing where he bossed her around, she was all about it, and then he relented a lil, to which she says "stop, you're ruining it" almost beat-for-beat reminds me of a very nice fling I had some years ago, down to the quote

I'm liking how we're peelin down the onions here, especially because nobody I know irl is familiar with this monstrosity. Also idk about everyone else, but as a person with focus issues, I retained and followed the story wayyy better in its novel format (lol it's the most unnovel thing about it) than I ever did for Homestuck with panels- love the images in the original, but I didn't have to context-switch all that much and could just let it flow

had to stop lotsa times to go 'oh whoa okay let me think about that; wait; what, did that really just..?' tho

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Clawtopsy posted:

In seriousness as much as I love Aranea her role in the story is likely over. I'm more expecting Condy from Meat (You know, the competent one) to make a reappearance

yeah I think a big part of this was narrowing down characters going forward in to whatever Viz wants to publish next- if they weren't in Meat, they're irrelevant and gone except for the exceptions which are Homestuckishly bound to occur tho

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah all this stuff is weird and bad insane fanfic overshare territory, and exactly what candy is about

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here's an example of a Candy joke that doesn't land for me.
You jerks wanted Feferi back? Well, here she is, being forced to endure sexual harassment by Eridan. YAAAY. That wasn't funny. Not just from a feminist "we hate assault jokes" perspective, but from a "what is this moment accomplishing?" perspective.

it accomplishes the reinforcement of a core theme in Candy: this story is about what elements of the fanbase wants, whether the characters themselves want it or not. "You fuckers want Gamzee redeemed? Well, okay, here's how that goes, enjoy, idiots. You want Eridan and Feferi together? Welp, one of them doesn't agree, but too bad for her, this story is what you said YOU wanted, shippers" Of course, being fictional, they don't actually have agency to subvert- except that this is a universe where they are fictional characters with some degree of agency subverted by narrators all the time

It's, uh, not a joke- it's not ha-ha funny so much as smell funny

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I really liked it partially because it played with themes of contempt for the fan base

this thread is uncharacteristically positive overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah that specifically is what I mean and I think it's neat

Trying to think of other pieces of media that have gone whole-hog on that concept, "this is what you said you wanted and here's why you're wrong"- for some reason I feel like The Simpsons did a short joke along those lines but I can't recall exactly, I might just be thinking of the spin-off sketch episode that steamed hams comes from