Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, Hussie joked about this a few tumblr questionaries ago, that he was nursing Slick back to health like a baby bird...

I'm not sure I could enjoy the many levels of meta-narrative if I wasn't so keyed into reading his tumblr or twitter..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Guys, Lord English is about to hold MS. Paint hostage. I don't think this could get more meta.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Y'know, almost kind of worth it to see Caliborn's "That nerd just beat the poo poo out of me" stare. That kid's not going to take that lying down!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

We're still not sure if Gamzee was ever actually God Tier or if he just has the horrible outfit through shenanigans and he was only still alive because he's a goddamn murder clown and they are literally impossible to kill.

If Terezi is still around, I'm pretty sure Gamzee will still be haunting her like an insane spector. If she IS dead, theres no real reason for him to be alive anymore, or atleast in any narrative way that I can make sense of.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Heres the real question: What happened to Gamzee.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Well, we got Undertale out of this, so it was all worth it!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

GeneX posted:

It's a shame that Lord English is actually the combination of a clown, a pair of glasses, a circus strongman, and a rude alien child.

Hey wait hang on, when did ARquius get thrown into Lord English's mix?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

The Troll Ancestors should have just remained a joke and not 50k pages worth of filler. Vriska's ancestor leading to a dead narrative line (of about 2+ Years) didn't help, end then John's power just helped him paint himself out from one corner and into another.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

I thought dead punk Vriska was a fairly interesting case of character development, so seeing her arc literally end with her getting shouted at by retcon Vriska (the worst Vriska) was pretty garbage

That was really such a terrible end, and just a narrative kick in the pants "Hey turns out you like this actually sucks in every conceivable way, Vriska isn't supposed to learn lessons, also I'm stealing your girlfriend"

Anyway, people don't have arcs, etc.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

RandallODim posted:

Remember when people thought Meenah was going to be the apology for Feferi being such a nothing troll for Pisces people by being important and cool

Wouldn't it have been cool if Feferi just did all that ghost stuff instead? Outside of Meenah being a huge rear end in a top hat, they essentially could have pulled the same role of being a Queen, but haha nah Feferi just joined the joke background trolls.

On that track, the dropped thread of Gamzee having some crazy weird power? I mean, since everyone/everything can just end up being a joke at any moment you kind of lose any stakes.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

the homestuck subreddit had it's own (despressing) april fools joke

Hoofa Doofa, that's dark.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Wait hang on, I thought the Snapchats were all up in that update from months ago... you telling me its been updating on that app alone... and just written by some rando? This... is some crazy Andy Kaufman bullshit if true.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

KaosMachina posted:

Another 4/13, Another disappointment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB7mHxdHlRY

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Clawtopsy posted:

Act Omega doin' good, making the Horrorterrors relevant again, making Aranea loving bonkers.

I can dig this solely for taking the piss out of the whole "Vriska knows how to fix everything" setup.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

I knew a couple friends who worked as 3D Animators in NYC on that project like, atleast 3 years ago before it ended up getting scrapped for the 2-D style. That picture was from back when they had that NYC studio.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/shelbycragg/status/882130426034245633

Anyway let's get back on track about the true OTP shown here. What chemistry!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

i swear i remember someone used to post in this thread who said they'd been hired to help put the books together and had finished book four. that was literally years ago by now though

I'll assume they didn't sell very well, I always thought it defeated the purpose of the comic's entire premise. Did they ever get up to the animations?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/904420022981976064

Tobyfox has officially done more for PR for the game than Hussie has in the last year.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Plom Bar posted:

Hey, new Tarot cards! And a $1 game written by Andrew Hussie featuring gratuitously described gore! This is the best 4/13 ever! :coffeepal:

Uh, what's this game thing?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m glad Hussie didn’t jump into another project like Homestuck, because his output was seriously unhealthy. Outside of his sbahj book I’m sad he hasn’t done much of anything else. Although it’s more the lack of web presence than anything. He just kinda disappeared.

That or he's found a new pseudonym to produce stuff under so the Homestuck fandom doesn't crush him instantly.

I only say so, cause I remember people hypothesizing that Chuck Tingle was a Hussie Pseudonym. I don't think that's true, but it would be the best way to get his work out there without the baggage of his past projects.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

You guys just reminded me of the storybeat when "Real Vriska" meets "Chilled Out Dead Timeline Vriska" and continues to berate her for becoming useless and then her girlfriend immediately leaves her. Wasn't that a fun end to that months long arc?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

It’s very telling after he endlessly goads Dave and Karkat together, he instantly bristles and looks away once they start just straight up having sex, and “Looks away”, then projects onto the audience for being the perverts (though he might not 100% wrong there.)

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Man the Odd Gentlemen really hosed it up, and, I guess haven't made a game since Kings Quest. So uh, I guess they probably haven't had much luck since.

EDIT: Of course the mismanagement from What Pumpkin isn't to be understated, the Sunk Cost Fallacy of the 3D Assets REALLY hosed 'em. And its obvious so many folks just weren't experienced enough to tackle this.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

tinaun posted:

instead of reading homestuck2 ive been reading fanventures - this one is pretty great: Sburb Done Quick (for best results, read it in your best agdq couch commentator guy voice)

This might have made reading Homestuck worth it, if only because I understand all of the stupid game logic for this to make sense.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

The art feels worst this update. I dunno.

Also, the stupid Futurama page is going to age like raw meat; you can just tell us you only got one update this month.

This is weird, but Futurama Page is the first time a gag's truly made me go "Wow this sure is written by a completely different team of people" by being so completely out of tone. Maybe because before they've found ways to nest those jokes in universe like, at all.

I guess since theres not really a blog section to the site anymore, its hard to make announcements, but its so obviously a joke about putting a hat on a hat.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Its so weird to see homestuck style illustrations that have none of the Homestuck specific callbacks.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, one of the first scenes in that trailers has a calendar with an sburb looking house on one of the dates :ohdear:

Not to mention "You have the chance to do what 1 in trillions can do & be worshipped as a god" sounds like some real SBURB talk, but I'll hope its mostly unrelated!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

On a whim I read through the Midnight Crew intermission, and man, what a great thing that all was.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not Hussie-written. It's by a new team who, yes, include fic writers. I like it, but it isn't Hussie.

Hussie has announced a new project of his own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjT1vn3vCwk

The stupid poo poo with Hideo Kojima in that trailer is precisely what I miss from Hussie's writing. The entire build up is a joke so terrible that it wraps around to being hilarious. I feel that kind of recklessness is what's missing from The Later Chapters & ^2.

Which I suppose is a roundabout way of saying Hussie is terrible at wrapping things up in character driven work (Problem Sleuth wrapping up neatly because the characters are basically 1-Dimensional), but the ride up until then is always wonderful.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Not a shocker here but: I don't get the bit, and I know the purpose of the bit is to be so up its own rear end that it baely makes sense.

Anyway I hope the game itself is interesting, and parsable.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Looks like they just completely nuked the news section, and the About section explains the situation.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

"Wow there's a lot of new posts did Homestuck^2 update or something?"
"Oh."

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Happy Landfill posted:

Lol I was just coming here to ask if anyone else here was listening to Homestuck Made the World. I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm not reading a long but it is a fun way to revisit things and I'm absolutely loving the bits of fandom history and recontextualizing of parts of the comic with what was going on online at the time

I've been LOVING this podcast, infact it's why I came back to check on the thread!

In one of the recent episodes they really struck on something I never noticed until recently. Specifically Hussie's tendency to abdicate the more problematic elements to their characters, like Equius/Aradia issue (rather that admitting fault or that they were somewhat out of their depth), while certain elements they would claim authorship over without a second thought. Even in more recent work like the commentary in the books are given "the ole ironic two-step".

And I suppose those issues are only going to continue to be sticking points in the podcast, and frankly I can't wait to see their read on later acts when the relationship between Author/Fanbase becomes even more strained with issues like The Kickstarter and mega/gigapauses.

Another Note: I was around during the beginning threads and even I totally forgot the whole "Oh yeah Hussie reads the thread" reaction. It was kind of cool to hear the breakdown of forum cultures between MSPA/SA, and how even SA's tried and true ironic detachment couldn't save folks from just unironically becoming fans.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 23, 2022

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

I bet Viz is planning something special this year, maybe they’ll let even more links go default on the website!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Today's Homestuck Made This World hits it right on the head: Hussie was thrashing about and didn't know how to end it, so they started needling the fanbase in a really antagonistic way.

They seems to give them some credence, in that, from Hussie's perspective the fanbase must have been omnipresent and overbearing constantly. But then, they do ask the question of "Well what good does being a dick to everyone accomplish?"

Sidenote: I did like their read on Caliborn, as simultaneous awful but incredibly pitiable, because they operate at everything with sheer hatred, but also the character is shown to have a learning disability and doesn't have the proper tools to engage with people. But ALSO they're a stand-in for the audience that's dumb and stupid, and maybe a terrible and unsatisfying metaphor.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Delphisage posted:

Made it to the part of the newest HMTW episode where Danni says fans harassed racially-divergent fanartists and POC cosplayers. So were the rumors I got from TVTropes true after all?

Oh for certain, while Hussie may have thought the Caucasian joke was a funny jab at the fans, turns out when you call a character canonically white, even as a joke, the worst fuckers will crawl out of their cesspools and use that a bludgeon against fan interpretations.

It is wild seeing HMTW kind of peel back a layer on the comic and finding stuff I totally didn't notice before. Specifically for me, was the coding on The Condesce's speech. Of course its like a bludgeon in retrospect, but also at the time I was really detached from the comic.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In a way I'm happy they didn't dwell on ^2 too much. What a bizarre few months that little experiment was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

The Official Homestuck Crossover You've All Been Waiting For!

https://twitter.com/homestucknet/status/1631697559109480451