Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Since in the masterpiece Caliborn is caught 'by surprise', I'm assuming Caliborn does something irredeemable to get John's attention and forces him to use his retcon powers. They've already conveniently made Terezi go away, and Caliborn is technically on the same planet as them, but just in the future. He could easily travel back in time to gently caress poo poo up, like kill Kanaya, Karkat, and Calliope as well, that would explain their absence in the masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Waited 5 years to play a 3 hour game.

I think I've put more time into watching repeats of [S]Collide than this game.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I reread some of the comic the other day, and I have concluded that the part between the kids landing in the new session and Game Over is probably the best part of the comic.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I don't understand the canon/non-canon stuff. If Hussie wrote it, it's canon. That's what it means. The epilogues are canon. Both sides of them. Because that's the only content that exists written by Hussie after Act 7.

I didn't really buy Hussie's explanation about epilogues and the transformative medium. It felt like he was essentially admitting that epilogue wasn't an Epilogue, just a continuation of the story. And then made it sound like he didn't really know how to finish it (sounds familiar...) and so left it on a cliffhanger. All his words about fan-content, emotions, etc, just feel like rationalization of all this. He had ideas in his head about post-Act 7 Homestuck, and decided to write them out (and also monetize them, but that fell through). That's all there is to it. What's the point of all this weird pontification?

Anyway, I liked the epilogues. Even if there's never any continuation, at least the cliffhanger is more palatable than Act 7.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Plom Bar posted:

Hussie didn't write most of the epilogues. He outlined them and contributed to the writing, but the bulk of the heavy lifting was done by literal fanfic authors that were hired to do so.

I thought otherwise when I read this:

quote:

There's also stuff to think about just due to its presentation as fanfiction, and that it's the first installment of Homestuck which included other authors (contrary to some speculation I've seen, every word of all seven acts were written by me alone).

Unless I'm misunderstanding.

edit: Oh wait, he's referring to the first 7 acts of Homestuck, not whatever dumb thing my brain was thinking of.... seven acts of the epilogue.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm starting to think HOMESTUCK is going to outlive me.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm disappointed they bothered with this Patreon update, they really knocked the sails out of the twist later on.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Homestuck is good.

Homestuck is never going to be public domain.

Hiveswap is sort of good.

Homestuck^2 sucks.

The themes of Homestuck can be easily conveyed without beating the same dead world with a stick forever.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Psycholonials: I hate all the characters involved but I couldn't stop reading it.

Wait, maybe it is like Homestuck.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The problem with post-Homestuck content is it's still Homestuck.

Take Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. This game is clearly inspired by Earthbound, but it's still its own thing that tells its own story with its own original everything.

Yet all the fan stories are basically just set in Homestuck's universe or some AU. They have almost the same mechanics. I mean, I get it, it's probably fun to write for them, but it's not going to be good. I would like to see more stuff inspired by Homestuck, not just spinoffs, sequels, or AUs. If Psycholonials wasn't made by Homestuck it would fit the bill. Also, PREQUEL and some of the other webcomics.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

So what you're saying is Jade is actually the smartest.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Psycholonials owns.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Psycholonials is still very good. I'm actually going to have a tough time accepting any sort of conclusion for this, because the more you escalate the more difficult it is to wrap things up in a satisfactory way.

Also, the soundtrack went from "good" to "wow" in a couple of scenes.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

There's a reddit post that seems to sum up my thoughts on Psycholonials:

Am I the only one who feels like the epilogue message was meant to convey Hussie's own experience with fame and relevance? I'd normally deny that Zhen is meant to be his self-insert but I feel like it is the case in this particular context.

Zhen starting a big revolutionary movement that lead to a lot of chaos and then disengaging and retreating, reminds me a lot of Hussie's own treatment of the Homestuck community, which he's reluctant to interact with actively. It could be his way of saying that sometimes all of the time spent in the spotlight can be taxing, and it's worth disengaging from it and focusing on the small things in life such as relationships and family for the sake of your own mental health, instead of getting endlessly involved with people who judge you for your life choices, akin to the "audience" that Zhen speaks to in the epilogue (hence the lack of multiple endings etc). Considering that many of the fans are prone to speculate about Hussie and his numerous decisions over the years, and that Zhen goes out of her way to speak to the readers, I think this might be intentional.

Just a personal interpretation.

Other than that, really long, drawn out ending where nothing happens. From a self-insert self-commentary perspective, sure whatever, from a VN perspective, disappointing.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I for one am glad that Homestuck is finally over.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

NieR Occomata posted:

On one hand everything that seems to be coming out in the story seems like the funniest, stupidest, most pathetic and worthless fuckin’ poo poo ever, and that rules.

The characters constantly have no idea how to react to literally any external stimuli, but it's actually the writers. The writers don't know how to react to anything. It's like that one friend that makes every situation awkward no matter how benign it is. It's just not compelling writing. It may have been more endearing when they were literal 13 year olds, but now it's just embarrassing.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The exhausting quirks that make you hate the ones employing them is intentional!

This is why Feferi is the worst character.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The idea that Kankri written nowadays would be a TERF is spot on.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

They actually touch on that in the second episode, where they talk about the use of "Octoroon" on page 69 in the Colonel Sassacre book. Hussie using it as something the character of 'racist old Sassacre' would have used. They go into how using it as a punchline is problematic. Its not really the punchline though, the punchline is that its a bunch of words and John just doesn't want to deal with reading a giant book right now.

Maybe its the decades of internet poisioning, but I almost find it more acceptable to present caricatures as they are rather then pretend those sort of people don't exist in real life. It is faithful to lived experience and allows us to look back and say "wow those people are trash I'm glad they were an example of what not to do". Even if you recreate them in a modern depiction.

You (or at least the average reader) wouldn't have spoilered, or even put it into quotes, if you were discussing it at the time that was written, which sort of undercuts your point.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The most unbelievable part about Dirk is how he's into Jake in the first place. Jake has no redeeming qualities even from Dirk's perspective.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Captain France posted:

He is canonically very hot.

Also Dirk is into boys and Jake was the only boy he knew who wasn't himself.

Mostly the hotness, though.

I get this, plus the other comment about it being more of a project than a relationship.

I guess the epilogue and Homestuck^2 feels like it throws a wrench in this. Dirk now has other options but still obsesses over Jake.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

You can link your Davesprite-becomes-real-Dave-again fanfic if you really want.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

He could have at least not had the main antagonist be defeated off-screen while devoting like a full minute of expensive animation to a frog.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

haha what posted:

i didnt even know there was an act 2

I finished Act 1 and thought it was alright. But shortly into Act 2 I just lost all interest and never came back to it. It really feels like they're missing a lot of what makes an adventure game work... but I can't really put my finger on it.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Webcomics are pretty notorious for never finishing or having hectic update schedules. It was true during his time, before his time, and now.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Hussie went full Hideo Kojima. Kept trying to one-up himself so much he became incomprehensible. The only person in the world who thought having the main villain die off-screen in the finale would be cool.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Absolutely not.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

There is definitely similarity in the idea of what is canon/not canon in particular, since I think a lot of media has done alternative universe selves and such. A lot of people saw parallels with the latest Spider-Man movie as well: The main character not being 'canon', traveling to different parallel universes and meeting alternative versions of themselves, and the Powers That Be telling them they're Not Allowed.

Fionna and Cake was literally spawned from in-universe fan fiction, and Adventure Time itself wrestled with the idea of a character being real or not real: Fern wanted to be the real Finn but could never really do it. So while F&C does seem like a sequel series that continues the main story, I don't think it does. It feels like a real epilogue.

The issue with the Epilogues and HS^2 in general is the lack of closure. The Epilogues had a chance for answers but instead it threw out more questions. Does the story feel complete for any of the characters in Homestuck at this point? Not in my opinion. It didn't feel complete after the original ending, after the epilogues, and after what I've seen of HS^2 so far.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 29, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

It opens with the main character already bored of the comic so it's off to a good start.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rko posted:

I read TLCstuck during a really long fanfic binge, and it solidified my opinion that most explicit “fix fics” for OG Homestuck’s last act just end up reaching the same conclusions as the original without as much elegance or humor. If you were into it, on the other hand, the “Crow Strider AU” on MSPFA is another attempt I know lots of people liked, though with rough ESL diction.

I read this Crow Strider AU since this was posted, and I can see your point about it being one of the examples of coming to the same conclusion but circling the drain about it. And like in the other post, everyone seems to have no filter and just says how they feel and your first interaction with any of them is at the end of their character development. There's an aura of fakeness around everything being wrapped up in a neat package that's hard to escape.

I feel like a lot of people just didn't get closure from Homestuck and made their own closure, but a lot of the story beats that lead all these characters to their development happened before the fanfics were written. Hussie has a real skill of setting up all these issues and not immediately resolving them, and the sting readers feel of some of them never getting resolved is just a testament to how good he is setting them up. He spends a lot of time meandering in the early parts of the comic, but I feel like most writers just want to get to the point of what they're saying, so they never have quiet moments, they never have delays due to doubt, they never have extended periods of just seeing characters interact with things naturally. The characters in their heads are already built up and they just want to start at that point. You have to write someone doing evil things for a long time for it to be interesting to see how they change, or don't change. If they just show up suddenly "redeemed" then it's not as interesting.

I did appreciate some of the conversations that probably should have happened in OG Homestuck, and Jasprose, being an Ultimate Self, revealing she had Crow/Davesprite's Rose's memories meaning she was his Rose was very sweet, but at the end basically all the same things happened and as soon as the conflict is resolved, nothing really interesting happens anymore.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 30, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The latest update just did nothing but talk about things that already happened. The reader is in the loop but the character isn't. And it just goes on and on with this perspective. What I think HS^2 is lacking is brevity. I think that comes from Hussie's experience with making comic books and trying to focus on each page having a specific purpose, given the limited amount of pages he had to work with. Even from an archival perspective (reading through the series only when it's complete), most of the last update would feel like "filler".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Best thing to do about these kinds of obvious baiting posts is just to report it and move on.

Wish I could also do that for HS^2. I didn't think it was possible to be worse than the last one, but they did it again. Even threw in a really strained Maniac Mansion reference.