Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Benfica always bottles it in front of Porto. We even score their goals now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Talk about lovely defending...

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG
drat, almost Lucho :I

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Benfica allows Porto to draw 4 mins after their goal, starting to seem like they just can't beat Porto, a mental block akin to Real - Barca. Also, it takes a long loving time to post in the iPhone.

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Benfica allows Porto to draw 4 mins after their goal, starting to seem like they just can't beat Porto, a mental block akin to Real - Barca. Also, it takes a long loving time to post in the iPhone.
Yeah, we pulled ahead before you finished your post :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^^^^^^^Got to admit i laughed at that

I'm kind of glad there was no Portuguese thread last year. That 5-0...

The game at home was enlightening too :v:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I think Jorge Jesus just forgets how to manage a team against Porto.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Guh guh, let's play Eduardo, Jardel and an unfit Capdevilla against our biggest rivals, I'm Jorge Jesus, a literal retard.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Guh guh, let's play Eduardo, Jardel and an unfit Capdevilla against our biggest rivals, I'm Jorge Jesus, a literal retard.

I thought you liked Sporting.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Posts everywhere holy gently caress

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

TyChan posted:

I thought you liked Sporting.

Yeah, I was just imagining what goes through Jesus' mind. Also, Benfica hits the bar twice. Edit: 3 times

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Nolitowns

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

Oh gently caress off Vítor Pereira ffs take Kléber off, ANYONE would do a better job than him, it's like playing with 10 men on the pitch

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Cardozo!! :swoon:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Cardozo!! :swoon:

What a strike! Incredible confidence. Tacuara <3

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

Our defense is a loving sieve without Fernando

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Yay we're in the final for the fourth time in a row! :toot:

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

Yay we're in the final for the fourth time in a row! :toot:
drat, the league cup is one of the few things I've never seen Porto win :( would've been nice to get our 4th consecutive victory at Luz too.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
gently caress YES

Ok, don't really care at all about this cup (and it may even hinder the teams fitness during a critical part of the championship), but it was nice to beat Porto.

Was in a bit of a self induced blackout since losing with Guimarães, drawing with Académica and then loving up against Porto.

Who knows what the next few games can bring, either crushing defeat or satisfying smugfulness. Hopefully the later.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

Mans posted:

Jardel would've cost you the game if Kléber wasn't as lovely a striker as Jardel is a defender

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're assuming Jesus didn't know that. He had everything under control :smug:

(Jardel and Emerson give me heart attacks every time i see them. Capdevilla should play a lot more, he can't be worse.)

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
That was a fun match, also fun to see Pinto da Costa, who called referees "heroes" a few months ago now tearing the ref a new one. Vitór Pereira really is a horrible manager, isn't he? Takes a league and EL winning side (albeit without Falcão) and proceeds to only be in the running for one trophy, Domingos Paciência must be counting the days until he takes over the club.

Seduced Milkman
Aug 26, 2007

Oui Milou, c'est quelque chose d'horrible.
I couldn't watch the game and only saw the highlights. Does he have genuine reasons to be upset about yesterday's ref or is this just his usual whiny antics?

Cardozo drives me nuts but I love that guy. Happened to be in front of a TV when he received that pass from Gaitan and took the shot when he could still run for a loving mile. I shouted something like "gently caress DON'T-- YES!!!!11" at the screen. Happens way more often than it should.

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

Vitór Pereira really is a horrible manager, isn't he? Takes a league and EL winning side (albeit without Falcão) and proceeds to only be in the running for one trophy, Domingos Paciência must be counting the days until he takes over the club.
It's loving unbelievable. Porto was the 3rd strongest team in europe last season, I completely believe that over 2 legs we could've beaten anyone except for Barcelona and Real Madrid. We sold ONE player in the pre-season (although he was our best player) and suddenly we're complete poo poo. Maicon starting at centreback even though he's AWFUL and Rolando and Otamendi were rock solid last season. Maicon starting at loving RIGHT BACK WHAT THE gently caress WHY HE IS THE WORST loving RIGHT BACK I HAVE EVER SEEN PLAY FOR PORTO. Fucile turned poo poo and left and Sapunaru is poo poo again. Varela became poo poo. Guarín and Belluschi barely played and left. Djalma and Kléber are worthless, even Walter is better than Kléber. Hulk reverted into the ball hog he was in his first season. Iturbe doesn't play for some reason (if you're not going to play him, loan him goddamn it). And whenever we're winning now, we just stop playing. Vítor Pereira go back to managing Benfica's feeder club you loving ruined Porto

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bit of an update.

In Taça da Liga news Gil Vincente beat Sporting de Braga by penalty shoot-out. I'm not going to be a conspiracy theorist but the way G.V.'s president acted (he said when the team was losing 2-1 that Quim would gently caress up and let Gil score a goal) and the fact that both clubs' presidents are good friends makes me fishy. I don't know, it's not like the cup has any worth anyways.

Here are the highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVzrwvXIgZA

We still don't know if there will be relegations this year. Yes TRP foreigner friends, there is a chance that this year no team will go down. It's because of the projects to increase the number of teams in the Liga ZON sagres to 18.

The talk about our poo poo refs goes on. Not that it's a dirty discussion, our refs are mainly poo poo and we really need a purge.

Right now Benfica is playing against Olhanense. Tomorow Sporting will welcome Feirense in what will most likely be a lovely 1-0 win. Sunday Paços de Ferreira will receive Porto, with any luck they'll drop points. Monday Braga will take on Académica de Coimbra while Maritimo will play against Gil Vincente.

Here's our sexy sexy league
(Position, Club, Home, Away, Global, Goals, Average, Points)
(J=games V=Victories E=Draws D=Defeat GM=Goals Scored GS=Goals conceded)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Urrrg fire Jorge Jesus into the loving sun. And that garbage of a referee with him. And the whole team while we at it. Fire everything into the sun!

If there is a God Porto and Braga will also bottle it.(they won't, and we're going to get trashed by Chelsea and end up another season with just a lovely League Cup. :qq:)

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Can't believe some Benfica fans are actually arguing that wasn't a straight red, must be out of their goddamn minds.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
So Benfica's next four games are, what, Chelsea, Braga, Chelsea, Sporting? What a great way to prepare that was.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And we'll probably miss Aimar for both Sportings.

What a loving donkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwmzkHZ_Mp0

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
And now, to go along with that Benfica display the other night, now Porto go and drop points in Paços de Ferreira. They looked fairly tepid for the majority of the game, too (they were pretty good at the start of the second half I guess). Which begs the question: Does anyone actually want to win this league right now?

Braga can go top now by beating Académica tomorrow; judging by what's already happened this weekend I'm half-expecting them to drop points too, especially after that Taça da Liga game Thursday.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
gently caress you Braga for winning. I lived in your (admittedly pretty) city for nearly half a year, back when the majority were unabashed Benfiquistas, and this is how you repay me?

And gently caress you Academica for managing to hit the woodwork about fifty times. I lived in your city back when tradition meant something (i.e. uniformed students watched matches for free, though AAC was in the second division at the time), and this how you show your appreciation?

And gently caress you Benfica for bottling it this weekend, you better win by a wide margin tomorrow, or else the next couple weeks are going to be painful.. Can't say much about Lisbon as I've only been living here for the past two years, but it's no London..

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gingemidget posted:

Which begs the question: Does anyone actually want to win this league right now?

We haven't reached 2004-2005 levels of hilarity here, be calm.

As much as it would be fun to see Braga winning the title it pisses me off how much we're bottling games we should clearly be winning. A dip in form is also something i really didn't want before facing Chelsea, Braga, Chelsea again and then Sporting. With any luck John Terry and Lampard throw another hissy fit and we can breeze by quietly without suffering too much.

Braga reached the top spot with 58 points, one point over Porto and two points over Benfica. Meanwhile Marítimo and Sporting are dangerously close to the top spots, with Maritimo being only a few 13 (!) points behind Braga while Sporting has one less point. The rest of the league doesn't matter, no one will go down and the European spots are locked in tight.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Mans posted:

no one will go down

Pretty sure this measure needed approval from the Federation and didn't get it, at least for this season.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Benfica - Braga started just now, two teams at the top of the table so this match could mean a lot in the end.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We're getting the poo poo beaten out of us :(

Still 0-0 but i think we wont last much longer.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

That was close, but a win is a win. Now hopefully Braga won't just roll over and die against Porto next week like they usually do, and Benfica won't lose at Alvalade! And while we at it maybe they'll win at Stamford Bridge too! :v:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Sporting - Benfica tonight, Benfica needs to win to keep fighting for the title, Sporting needs to win because gently caress Benfica. We're mostly focusing on the EL right now but a derby always motivates the players.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is why i like portuguese footie papers so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Man Portugal likes their duels with references

Electronico6 posted:

• Locked thread