Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

Hahahahaha Domingos Paciencia, one of the best Portuguese managers out there, has been fired by Sporting! His replacement? loving Sa Pinto, a guy whose main achievement after retiring from professional football was fighting with Liedson and "helping" him convince that he should retire in Brazil. This is just so bad at so many levels it's incredible.

I can't quite believe it. I thought it was a bad joke, but then Sporting came out with the official statement that Sá Pinto is now the manager. He wasn't even doing all that bad, third place was still a possibility.

Oh well, I'm sure Domingos is going to do well at Porto next year.(Second place well. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sporting could go for Fabio Capello, although he'd probably be sacked a few months after being unable to buy any defenders because Polga and Onyewu are a title challenging partnership.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
If it's true Domingos was fired partially because he had been having meetings with Porto officials then I say good riddance. He had definitely lost the dressing room and his public comments had started becoming ridiculous, there comes a time when "not knowing the players" can't continue being used as an excuse. The 10 wins in a row run shows there is quality in the team, they just aren't being motivated/prepared properly, and some tactical decisions were baffling (the insistence on playing Bojinov, playing our two big centerbacks who can't run for poo poo against the speedy Marítimo team etc)-

Obviously I'm not too amped up about Sá Pinto taking over, just because Guardiola had major success doesn't mean you can just go around promoting your youth team manager and hoping for some kind of miracle; but it's a temporary decision, and at least Pinto can be expected to kick some rear end in the dressing room (perhaps literally? wouldn't be the first time).

quote:

Sporting could go for Fabio Capello

we can't even get a decent pitch, how could we possibly hire one of the most expensive managers in the world? But I would like a experienced foreign coach, too many nationalities in the dressing room for an inexperienced Portuguese.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 14, 2012

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
Yup, very surprising news, especially since the clubs' president stated, in a press release the day before, that it would be silly to sack a manager at this stage.

Shame that Portuguese football is filled with former Porto players as managers, not that there is anything implicitly wrong with that, it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I always have a feeling that there's an underlying conflict of interest, especially when Portuguese football has a very well known puppet master.

Can't see Sporting springing for a top manager at this point in the season, so Sá Pinto makes fiscal sense, but I have a feeling it's not going to go down that well in the locker room. There are still players in the side that witnessed Sá Pinto assault Liedson, not an easy thing to forget.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Wow, Guimaraes are tough, 15 minutes away from pulling off Benfica's first defeat :(

EDIT: gently caress, what a frustrating match

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 20, 2012

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Drogadon posted:

Wow, Guimaraes are tough, 15 minutes away from pulling off Benfica's first defeat :(

EDIT: gently caress, what a frustrating match

:negative:

Horrible week for Benfica.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Good, hopefully it's the beginning of a dip in form, although I'm currently more worried about Braga and Marítimo's results.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Good, hopefully it's the beginning of a dip in form, although I'm currently more worried about Braga and Marítimo's results.

Hey that reminds me, I have a friend of mind going to Portugal in a couple of months and I've told him I want a sporting kit. Can he buy it anywhere or does he have to get it in secret? (I'm making him buy me a Madrid kit in barcelona and barca kit in Madrid :D)

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Terrific choice mate. Depends on what city he's going to, really. If it's Lisbon there are a lot of options: you can get the real thing in Sporting's official shop where this season's shirt will cost 70€ and the whole kit around €100, or through the official website. If that's too expensive, he can go to shops like Freeport where there are cheaper deals, like last season's kit for €40, or ebay or one of those sites. If that's still too much, there are markets around Lisbon where people want to get rid of stuff and where you can buy lower quality kits for much cheaper.

He can buy it anywhere really, I can't see him being bothered even if he buys it in Porto, the relationship between the two clubs is pretty amicable at the moment. If he was buying a Porto kit and parading it around Benfica's stadium he might get bothered a bit but fans in Portugal are pretty calm apart from the crazier ultras.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Benfica have managed to blow a 5 point lead over Porto, drawing 0-0 with Académica today. Looks like next Friday's Benfica - Porto is the big one, hopefully Rodrigo will recover by then so none of the stars are missing for it.

edit: Can we start saying there are a Big 4 in Portugal now? Braga, even after losing some of their best players like Artur, Silvio, João Pereira and Rodriguez, and losing the manager who took them to a European final, there they are 3 points away from the top with an amazing 9 wins in a row and the top scorer of the league in Lima, and playing some great football with a fraction of the Big 3's resources. What a great time to be a Braga fan, and apparently it doesn't matter who their manager is since Jorge Jesus, Domingos Paciência and Leonardo Jardim have all been successful, seems like it's mostly thanks to the president António Salvador who actually knows how to run a football club and support his managers even in the worst of times. Even in the EL Braga would still be in it if it hadn't been for a ridiculous red card on the 1st leg vs Besiktas, they proved themselves to be superior by beating them in Turkey, supposedly hell on earth for opposing teams. Braga will probably steal my Sporting's 3rd place this year, but gently caress me if they don't deserve it.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 29, 2012

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With 20 games played Porto has finally caught up with Benfica after the latter's dip in form in the last few games. This friday Benfica will face off with Porto at home in a game that might decide the league.

Braga will face the decent team that is Nacional and will try to capitalize on what will happen in the Luz.

Sporting will cross the river to face off Vitoria de Setubal. They're poo poo and Sá Pinto will easily grind his fourth (?) one nil victory.

Maritimo will go to Guimaraes in what will be a tough game.

This weekend will be decisive for all the top 5 teams. Benfica-Porto isn't usually the most exiting match unless you like wrestling but i think this year we might be able to see some exciting football.

Here's the league:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Portugal were ok vs Poland tonight, we still need a striker to put them in since Nani and Ronaldo love missing good chances. Rui Patricio shined as he does for Sporting, if it wasn't for his moments of lack of concentration he would be a top keeper but he still has time to iron those kinks, still probably the best Portuguese keeper around.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Portugal were ok vs Poland tonight, we still need a striker to put them in since Nani and Ronaldo love missing good chances. Rui Patricio shined as he does for Sporting, if it wasn't for his moments of lack of concentration he would be a top keeper but he still has time to iron those kinks, still probably the best Portuguese keeper around.

Matias fernandez was great for chile today :D

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

dj_pain posted:

Matias fernandez was great for chile today :D

Yeah, he's always played better for the national team than for his clubs, although he's gradually becoming comfortable in Sporting and establishing himself, you can see the flashes of brilliance that made him South America's best player that one year, flashes that are more common when he's playing for Chile. There's still time for him to become a top player, it would have been easier if he had been given the proper motivation in Villarreal when he was younger.

Tonight's the big one, Benfica - Porto who are both level on points. This match might decide the title, although I'm hoping for a draw.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

This match might decide the title, although I'm hoping for a draw.

A draw might still decide the title. Benfica are ahead on away goals thanks to drawing 2-2 in Porto.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
True, but the way both teams are playing I'm guessing they'll still lose points 'till the end of the season, especially since they still have to play Braga and Sporting.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can i post some streams?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's one :v:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/110826/1/watch-sl-benfica-vs-fc-porto.html

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks, this should be a good match.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

It's on ESPN3 if you have access to that

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Huuuuuuuulk

Apparently that shot was going 108 km/h. With placement like that, from that position... gorgeous goal.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

loving hell

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a loving missile. It's still early though, no need to panic :)

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009
Lovely goal that

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Huuuurrr kill me now

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Nice save, that.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Cardozo...

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For fucks sakes it's the second time we've been fouled JUST OUTSIDE the area.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

For fucks sakes it's the second time we've been fouled JUST OUTSIDE the area.

Cardozo would've missed it anyway...

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
This is such terrible crap to watch, more diving than Barca at the the swimming pool.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're watching the two best Portuguese teams playing against each other while using a squad heavily reliant on South Americans AND Real Madrid and Barcelona rejects.

What were you expecting? :)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wow, Artur got lucky there that the shot wasn't just aimed into the far side of the net.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Man, that was close. Kissed the crossbar on its way past.

Every time I see that goal I like it more. Come to Liverpool, Hulk...

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 2, 2012

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Yessss Cardozo!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^^^Hulk is pretty much the winger that Liverpool needs

Get the gently caress in Cardozo! You have the grace of a donkey but who cares, you score poo poo loads of goals.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I thought that was offside at first but it wasn't. Scrappy goal but you can't say it's undeserved, Benfica have been on top for much of the game.

Mr. Big Snacks
Jul 26, 2006
This has been a great match so far.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

YES

And for those complaining about the game, you must be new to this fixture, it could be way worse :)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Haha the legendary double dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Big Snacks
Jul 26, 2006
Hahaha cardozo you idiot

and the dude giving double middle fingers to the camera

• Locked thread