Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mans posted:

-Support Barreirense, Desportivo das Aves, Gondomar or Belenenses if you want to be a true fan of Portuguese football.

Belenenses' stadium has the most gorgeous surroundings you can imagine, it's a stone's throw from the Jerónimos monastery and all the other grotesque monuments on the Belém beach. Support them for aesthetical reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Whatever happened to Boavista? I remember when in the '90s my team (MyPa, from Finland) played them in the Cup Winners' Cup we were thinking "woah, a big European team playing here, sick", but looks like they've since been relegated to the third division. Financial difficulties?

e: oh, should've read the thread...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I laughed at the idea of Angola having that kind of money, but thanks to oil and diamonds the joke was on me. :(

Oil runs African football: Angola held the 2010 Nations Cup, next year's will be in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea, and 2013's was originally given to Libya but I think South Africa will be the emergency host due to all that revolution jazz.

e: wait, I just realised the same is true of the World Cup :ohdear:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Why is Benfica at the top in that table...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Oh, away goals count in the standings? Never thought about that.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Porto's style of play is quite... butchy. Cross balls between Djalma and Hulk, hoping the latter will push through and get a square ball in front of the goal. I'd wager they'll manage to tire Sporting's pressing in the end, though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I thought it was an alright match, both teams had one chance where they should've scored (the Sporting shot Pereira saved and James Rodriguez's shot that hit Otamendi), and a few chances where they could've scored. I was quite impressed by that five minute period in the first half where Sporting were totally bossing it, Porto were struggling so bad that they got a couple of yellow cards out of it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Rio Ave's keeper is called Huanderson. <3 Brazilian names.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

BabaBabaBabaBaba as I would say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMe-8Tf1Y0

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mean Bean Machine posted:

This match might decide the title, although I'm hoping for a draw.

A draw might still decide the title. Benfica are ahead on away goals thanks to drawing 2-2 in Porto.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

calcio posted:

This is such terrible crap to watch, more diving than Barca at the the swimming pool.

You Don't Get It

Benfica improved helluva lot towards the end of the half, I hope second half is as intense.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

So Benfica's next four games are, what, Chelsea, Braga, Chelsea, Sporting? What a great way to prepare that was.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Is Sporting broke or what? They just signed the Indian national team captain Sunil Chhetri for the B team, but from what I know of Indian football, I somehow doubt he's up to the standard of even Segunda. Silly marketing stunt.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Football is quite popular in Bengal and the city of Mumbai, and the latter alone has a population of 20 million, so it's probably not a bad investment at all. West Ham tried to sign him a few seasons ago iirc, but he couldn't get a work permit.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

You already have a bunch of fans in Goa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_Clube_de_Goa

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Rolando nowadays would go for around 15m [...] He's nothing exceptional really.

Capitalism, everyone.

Porto are a bit short on centre backs, tbh, so they'd want to spend much of the money they get from Rolando on some South American kid. 15m sounds realistic enough.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Eh, not really, they have great young players in Mangala and Otamendi, Rolando and Maicon, who is seemingly on the verge of also becoming a great CB if Vitor Pereira stops playing him at RB. The center of the defense isn't really a spot they need to strengthen unless someone leaves.

Three centre backs isn't exactly a lot though? That's what I meant, if they sell Rolando they'll want a replacement.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Someone explain Benfica's midfield to me. Matic behind Martins? That's it for the whole season pretty much?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I dunno, I don't think losing Hulk will hurt Porto nearly as much selling Garcia and Witsel will Benfica. Is that other Colombian dude at Porto even approaching James' quality?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mans posted:

Since Benfica lost all three defensive midfielders and Carlos Martins has been pretty good i guess Jesus is planning on an all 5 attacking midfielders attempting to score more goals than conceding. We really have no decent defending guys in the midfield anymore.

Oh God, if only there was a way you could face Roma in a European tournament this year... :allears:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Jorge Jesus, like a true world class professional, blamed it all on the refs.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

That Classico started off very entertaining and then just became blander and blander. Porto should be happy with that, their attack is totally castrated without James and the goals were weird flukes. Great games by Matic and Alex Sandro.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Ri-loving-diculous.

Mariana Cabral ‏@aminhabola 14m
neste momento o melhor que o lfv podia fazer era ligar para o paços e oferecer um estádio novo em troca de vitória

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

That's loving incredible.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Wondering if Benfica fans here are going to subscribe to BenficaTV for the home matches. I don't care about those but Benfica buying the rights for the Premier League matches absolutely sucks, I have no idea how I'm going to solve that apart from streaming or something.

Wait? Is Premier League shown in Portugal only on BenficaTV then? That owns.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Drogadon posted:

Things getting heated now, we will probably see a red card before this is over.

That two minutes with five yellows was absurd. And Danilo just got his second yellow for diving. Pretty unfair call that.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Wasn't Garay inches away from going to loving Zenit in January already? I hope it's at least a big team in England or Spain (or Italy lol) that gets him.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Out

Marcos Rojo - Man Utd - €20m
Viola - Karabukspor - loan
Wilson Eduardo - Dinamo Zagreb - loan
Rinaudo - Catania - €3m

You forgot Dier, who seems like something of a loss...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

It's worse than all of those leagues though, so it's not unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

None of those sounds good.

• Locked thread