Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

midwifecrisis posted:

As far as Captain Zipp goes, he has more cross-faction potential, which is both good and bad since there's probably some weird one-off model in a box you won't otherwise need.

My thought was to get both, with a focus on Parker.

But you do make a good point about Zipp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Flipswitch posted:

Lady J. I'm still not sure how to approach dealing with her.

RUN.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Ha yeah, Lady J can be tough. Big choppy master with a solid crew to back her up. Idk what approach you took, but sometimes it's best to feed her (or any big beater) some small models and go around and scheme while she's busy. She can kill all the models she wants, but if you win 6-5 it's still a win. Don't have a ton of experience against J herself, but this is how I handle beaters that I don't have tools for.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah that's what I had to do. Fed her models to buy some time whilst Misaki and the Torakage scored as much as possible. It just didn't feel like a winning strategy you know? Especially if I was using someone much more vulnerable like Youko.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The last two Iron Skeeters have been sitting on my build pile for the whole weekend and I don't wanna go anywhere near those nightmares.

I don't think I'll actually run them at all, not when I could add more luchadores.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cassa posted:

The last two Iron Skeeters have been sitting on my build pile for the whole weekend and I don't wanna go anywhere near those nightmares.

I don't think I'll actually run them at all, not when I could add more luchadores.

More wrestlers is never a bad idea.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'm gonna stick to henchmen hardcore games for a bit longer, but already thinking about how to go to full size.

Also where I'm gonna get all these piano markers from for the Zipp crew, I tried dollhouse/train stuff but that's all so expensive.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How often do you guys/gals/goons double up on 6-8 Stone models? I know it's a bit of a broad question but it's referring to things like Wokou Raiders, Kunoichi, Charm Warders & Kabuki Warriors etc? I tend to like redundancy in my lists from other games, but Malifaux really is pushing me to change how I approach list building - which is a good thing.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sothis and Ceos.
You're a star, cheers!

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Cassa, I used this for my piano markers: https://art-of-war-studios-ltd.myshopify.com/products/malifaux-piano-token?_pos=1&_sid=3b93cd725&_ss=r

Super handy for a pretty good price. Also has notes written on them (size and traits) which can be nice to see during a game.

Flip, it really depends, which is not helpful. Generally I like to have a role/plan in mind for each model I hire, and sometimes that means redundancy, and sometimes it doesn't. For example, if I'm playing Symbols of Authority with Transmortis, you bet I'm going to take 2 Necropunks. So really depends on what you need the redundancy for. If you're going up against someone who NEEDS their demise triggers, maybe 2 Charm Warders has a place. Maybe even 3?

Part of what makes Malifaux so interesting to me. Some games the answer is bring redundancy, sometimes the answer is to diversify. Depends on pool, opponent, etc., and changes every game. The downside is it can take a while to learn when each answer is good, but luckily it's a lot of fun (usually) to learn along the way.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks mate - I think that's what I'm still trying to get my head around. It's a real shake up and really interesting. :)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got in a game today with my buddy with my budget table (just ordered a mat for it though!).

Had Standard/Recover Evidence
Breakthrough, Let Them Bleed, Vendetta, Leave Your Mark & Spread Them Out.

Misaki Vs Kaeris,

Misaki
Ototo
Minako Rei
Torakage
Torakage 2
Wokou Raider
Tanuki

Vs

Kaeris
Firebranded
Firebranded 2
Fire Gamin
Fire Gamin 2
Firestarter
Fire Golem
Elijah Borgmann

Really fun game, we're still tripping on some rules and having to look them up and generally having a lot of laughs meant the game took a while but we really enjoyed it. Still getting utterly alarmed at how much damage Ototo can put out, Minako managed to summon a Katashiro which murdered a Firebranded in one go, and a Wanyudo later in the game which seemed REALLY powerful. I'm really liking Misaki, she's very versatile and quite fun to ninja around the board.

I ended up winning 5-1, what stopped it being 5-4 was Agile on one of my Torakage meaning it could just walk away and remove a Scheme Marker which was really amazing. Just shows how important the scenario and playing for it is I guess! Was a real eye opener for both of us.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing 3. edition since it came out, and by "playing" I mean "been sitting at home, thinking about the game, and painting the models due to corona", and I absolutely love it.
I've been spreading out, trying Kaeris, Ironsides, Marcus, Tara, and I just grabbed Hamelin. I really like how different they all play, but I'm starting to realize that I should probably focus on a keyword for a bit to try and figure it out. But my main opponent plays Asami, so I've been having fun trying to to guess what she's going to do, and then try and counter it.
Great game!

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Electric Hobo posted:

I've been playing 3. edition since it came out, and by "playing" I mean "been sitting at home, thinking about the game, and painting the models due to corona", and I absolutely love it.
I've been spreading out, trying Kaeris, Ironsides, Marcus, Tara, and I just grabbed Hamelin. I really like how different they all play, but I'm starting to realize that I should probably focus on a keyword for a bit to try and figure it out. But my main opponent plays Asami, so I've been having fun trying to to guess what she's going to do, and then try and counter it.
Great game!

HamHam plays truly bizarrely. They reigned in some of the really rear end in a top hat things people were doing with him due to 3e thank god. I really like that he's built more around like infecting people and then making them take actions they otherwise wouldn't. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the Basse crew, I'm a big guilt player and like the only one in Atlanta.

Edit: Also I think he has the most different types of model in the entire game at like,,,6?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Brock Samsonite posted:

HamHam plays truly bizarrely. They reigned in some of the really rear end in a top hat things people were doing with him due to 3e thank god. I really like that he's built more around like infecting people and then making them take actions they otherwise wouldn't. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the Basse crew, I'm a big guilt player and like the only one in Atlanta.

Edit: Also I think he has the most different types of model in the entire game at like,,,6?

I mostly got him because I could pick up his 2. edition boxes for a fifth of the price of the new ones. He does seem fun, or at least interesting, which is my main reason for getting the different keywords. He'll also help me play more Outcast games, since Tara is super bad for Recover Evidence, and Hamelin seems super bad for Public Enemies, with the constant stream of rats that pop out everywhere.
I'll probably get another keyword. Jack Daw seems cool, but I think that he's still missing som boxes for 3. edition, so I'll most likely go for Von Schill. At least I like painting the models.

We were starting up an escalation league when corona struck, so we'll have to start over when/if the world gets more sane. At least the owner of my FLGS is a super fan of the game, so he constantly tries to get people to play it.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Well, the rats are insignificant right? So they give no bounty points. Hamelin is one of the few masters I've never faced, but I'll tell ya what, insignificant spam has been relatively effective for me in Bayou Public Enemies games. Shove a bunch of insignificant in their face and they have to deal with them (they'll obviously die fast), but that's less actions they're using to hit significant models. Again, don't know if it works quite so well for Hamelin or not though.

But also, buying more models is good too 😝

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

TheFinalTuba posted:

Well, the rats are insignificant right? So they give no bounty points. Hamelin is one of the few masters I've never faced, but I'll tell ya what, insignificant spam has been relatively effective for me in Bayou Public Enemies games. Shove a bunch of insignificant in their face and they have to deal with them (they'll obviously die fast), but that's less actions they're using to hit significant models. Again, don't know if it works quite so well for Hamelin or not though.

But also, buying more models is good too 😝
That's true! I haven't got the cards for them yet, so I missed that :) The rats pop up all the time, which I guess is why you can have 12 of them. Then they can combine into a Rat King if something tougher is needed, then the king can summon a Rat Catcher if it's close to death. Then the cycle repeats. Seems pretty neat.

My whole local community is so new to 3. Edition that I get a lot of mileage out of playing the more confusing crews, so my opponent doesn't know what's going on. Marcus is probably my favorite at this point, because of the constantly changing abilities that he brings.

Edit: And yeah, I'll get Von Schill anyway. Then Rasputina. Then Sandeep. Then Jack Daw. Then I'll reflect over what I'm doing with my life.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 29, 2020

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

Edit: And yeah, I'll get Von Schill anyway. Then Rasputina. Then Sandeep. Then Jack Daw. Then I'll reflect over what I'm doing with my life.

You and me both. I have a storage drawer and a tote bag JUST for Malifaux poo poo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Explorer society is all on the app. I really like Syndicate, Frontier and Seeker so I think I'm playing those in the future lol.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

Explorer society is all on the app. I really like Syndicate, Frontier and Seeker so I think I'm playing those in the future lol.
Seeker is so cool that it might be time to buy into a third faxtion! Umbra, Dua, and Cadmus are also pretty cool.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Look at all these people not picking up Apex for Malisaurus Rex (unless you already have Fae then I forgive you).

Seeker is also definitely on the list although I'll keep an eye on the other Masters too.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
There is so much to like. Wish I didn't already play 3 factions so I could grab the new one haha. I think the Runaways look so cool for Apex. I love the flavor of them being hunted by Cooper, and trying to ask anyone they can for help... so flavorful. The rest of the keywords are cool... I love it. Gonna be a lot to learn as I get to now these new masters, but I'm really excited.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I was looking at Basse for Guild and now thinking of going Anya and playing Explorer instead. Plus Seeker.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

Look at all these people not picking up Apex for Malisaurus Rex (unless you already have Fae then I forgive you).

Seeker is also definitely on the list although I'll keep an eye on the other Masters too.

I'm picking up Malisaurus Rex to bludgeon my opponent when they score Vendetta.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Brock Samsonite posted:

You and me both. I have a storage drawer and a tote bag JUST for Malifaux poo poo.

You think you have a problem? I have (and I've just counted) 20 different masters painted (with at least their starter box also done), and another 7 waiting to be painted. I've never played the game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lmao I was like that's pretty good and then the last bit is a hell of a wham line.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Flipswitch posted:

Lmao I was like that's pretty good and then the last bit is a hell of a wham line.

well, you know, it's a good time for painting, not so good for playing games

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

well, you know, it's a good time for painting, not so good for playing games

They're nice models to paint too. Sometimes an absolute bastard to put together, but really nice models.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Post the painted models my dude. Love seeing painted stuff. I'll be taking pics of my table when my mat arrives :)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flipswitch posted:

Post the painted models my dude. Love seeing painted stuff. I'll be taking pics of my table when my mat arrives :)

I've posted some of them in the painting thread, as and when they were done, but if you want to see them... I'm not going to do an image dump of 20 crews in a post, especially as I havent got around to photographing most of my resurrectionists yet (plus I have some guys sitting waiting to be painted to add to various crews), I'll post some now and some later. Please note that I paint for relaxation and am pleased when I hit "passable tabletop" standard!

My guild stuff:
The Family

Journalists

Augmented (have a Joss to paint, but hes so far down the pile...)

Witchhunters

The Pale Rider

My Bayou Stuff:
Kin

Whizz-Bang (Same Sammy LaCroix as previous photo)

Swamp Fiend

Big Hat (have some banjonistas coming off ebay soon to make them a little more varied)

Infamous

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
nice! those insect things in the last picture look like they must've been a nightmare to assemble

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I painted up Kaeris last year, had fun with the fire wings.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

nice! those insect things in the last picture look like they must've been a nightmare to assemble

The Iron Skeeters, and I can tell you they were an entire MOTHERFUCKER to assemble. The instructions have lines just disappearing behind the model which is unhelpful, and because they want them to be language neutral there arent any notes, or, and I feel this is crucial, no numbers. So it is entirely unclear for example that on two of the iron skeeters you are absolutely fine to put the rider on before the legs (the legs being the most fragile bit, this makes sense, handle the legs as little as possible). However on the third iron skeeter if you put the rider on first, like you did with the other two, he prevents the legs sitting properly. The legs MUST be done first, then the rider. Or, you end up frantically trying to pry the rider off before the glue sets entirely after a fruitless five minutes trying to work out why the legs dont sit quite flush with the body.

Also one of them has a replacement grappling hook made out of the underneath cables of the Augmented cat robots because at some point between building and undercoating it must have fallen off its tiny 1mm square attachment point. I actually found the original a couple of weeks ago inside my computer keyboard, I'm not even kidding.

Sorry, just thinking about building them has made my eye start twitching again. I love Malifaux figures to paint, but this is why my prefered way of getting them now is to buy them secondhand off ebay so someone else has already built them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah the lack of a numbered instruction system fucks me right off.

How was Nellie's totem to build? The journalist caught my attention before.

Great work on the painting, both.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah the lack of a numbered instruction system fucks me right off.

How was Nellie's totem to build? The journalist caught my attention before.

Great work on the painting, both.

Thanks!

Nellies totem actually wasnt as bad as I was expecting! The legs are all seperate, but they sort of only fit together one way, and the bases of them are chunky enough that they all connect to the ones next to them. I accidentally amputated one leg from its connection (what I thought was sprue turned out to be the bit that connects the leg to the body) and it still wasnt a particular problem.

The two minor complaints I have against it are: There are very thin pieces on the ends of each leg, which... About half the printing press' on google images have just trimmed off, and I totally understand why, they're fragile and I'm not sure it doesnt look better (and less dainty) without them, and related to this, it doesnt fit on its drat base. Or more precisely it doesnt fit on the recess of its base, its balanced on the rim (and in my case the thin pieces at the tips of the legs are actually mainly glued on the sides of the resin base topper rather than the top). Its a personal pet peeve of mine, I like to have the figures standing in the base like its a tiny diorama, not on the rim, I understand it is not a rational complaint.

Two of the crossroads seven (Pride and Envy, the giant pipe organ and the cowboy hatted guitarist) do the same thing and it just mildly irritates me.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I recently built the zipp box too! The skeeters were absolute garbage, but the thing that actually annoyed me the most was Zipp being on the tiny base, and First Mate being on the big one. Who decided that?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I was really confused when I assembled the Brass Arachnid, and saw that it's supposed to go on a 30mm base. The base fits, with room to spare, right under it, without touching any of it's legs. That's going to be annoying if I ever get to paint and base it.

I've posted my stuff in the painting thread, but I'll slap it in here later.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cassa posted:

I recently built the zipp box too! The skeeters were absolute garbage, but the thing that actually annoyed me the most was Zipp being on the tiny base, and First Mate being on the big one. Who decided that?

That is weird, especially as he isnt any bigger than a standard Silurid, which are on 30mm bases. At least he fits on the base though, Merris LaCroix has a similar thing to zip, shes got a rocket on her back and shes attached to the base by the smoke from it, but the base of the smoke is wider than the diameter of the 30mm base indent, so it has to be glued to the rim, leaving a gap at the front underneath the smoke. Its not the end of the world, I'll fill it with the texture paste I use for bayou ground, and put some kind of flock or grass down, but it still bugs me.

Oh, and the other thing I forgot to mention about the skeeters that bugged the hell out of me: They come with a fairly nice curved flying base support, which I like. Much better than the clear peg and base GW flying bases I remember from the late 90s when I was first into miniatures. Thats good. But there is no contact point on any of the skeeters for it. It has a flat top to make a good connection, but they dont have a matching flat bit on their undersides anywhere, you just have to do your best to glue the rounded model to the flat support, or file a bit flat.

Electric Hobo posted:

I was really confused when I assembled the Brass Arachnid, and saw that it's supposed to go on a 30mm base. The base fits, with room to spare, right under it, without touching any of it's legs. That's going to be annoying if I ever get to paint and base it.

I've posted my stuff in the painting thread, but I'll slap it in here later.

Oh wow, I've just googled... That is the worst case of this I've seen. Second image hit on google for me was someone who's glued a massive section of floor (about twice the length of the base in total) on top of a base for it to stand on, everyone else has it rearing up with the only connection to the base being the tips of its back legs. I imagine thats fine for display but I'd worry every time you picked it up to move it in a game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
At least it's a plastic model so it's easy to cut and repose to fit. That said, I just said gently caress it and went for the old metal one. Looks great, still was a bitch to assemble because of thin metal legs with barely-existing base contact points.
The plastic brass arachnid is still waiting for an idea. I might convert it into a spare large arachnid, is there any point in running 2 these days?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Here's some of my painted stuff. All the Wildfire models, as well as my converted Ironsides for running her with Kaeris.

And most of the Obliteration models, I don't have the new one yet :(

On the topic of lovely sized bases: How the hell am I supposed to attach Hamelin's giant fart cloud to anything? I can't even find any pictures where someone has done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those flames look slick. What colours did you use? Did you airbrush them?

Mali isn't the only game that does it but I hate the whole standing legs so apart they're on the base rim. I like to think of them as a hard border for models so when one is standing over it, it looks a bit silly.

One of my Wokou Raiders is doing it and the other is standing on her tip toes. Menace to base.