Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably see if I can get lore books second hand and buy 2 crews. I might check out the alternative stats from this new book release before making my purchases. I like the hidden information element from infinity so being able to choose an alternative ability set at the start of the game seems fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I'd second Misaki for a good starter master in 10T. For Neverborn, Titania or Nekima make good first choices - the first is tanky and has fun terrain marker bullshit, and the second is more of a beater, and her crew can get more powerful by eating corpses to grow stronger.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The above got me thinking of an extremely broad question, so apologies, but if one wanted to drag his local community into Malifaux kicking and screaming what would be two good newbie Masters to get to play against each other?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dawgstar posted:

The above got me thinking of an extremely broad question, so apologies, but if one wanted to drag his local community into Malifaux kicking and screaming what would be two good newbie Masters to get to play against each other?

There are options, but I actually don’t think this is the right approach. Every master is so idiosyncratic and unique, and a huge part of the appeal of this game is the incredibly wide variety of aesthetics and playstyles. To get someone into the game you gotta find a master that speaks to them. Some people just totally bounce off the world until they see, say, the giant horned demon lady or the drunk swamp gremlins or the necromancer serial killer or the gunslinging caballera. Depending on where someone is coming from, they might also incline towards a specific master—for instance, a lot of 40K players love Lord Cooper because he has a powerful ranged attack, but they don’t know how to turn that into game wins.

If people already like the game and even have an idea of what master they want, try them out with that master. That said, there are a few that stand out as newbie unfriendly—Tara, Pandora, Nexus, Nellie, a few others. If you really just wanted to demonstrate the most basic gameplay loop and were totally agnostic on the crews involved, Von Schill and Lady Justice are two pretty straightforward masters.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

My local store has finally put our first M3E tournament on the calendar! As we speak my 3D printer is whirring to get out the trophies. I’m very excited—this is going to be super cool!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh nice! What's the format? I'm looking forward to playing in some events.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

3 rounds, 50ss, gaining grounds two. I wrote the scheme pools myself!
I've also been doing some painting

well well well, if it isn't the lady from red robin who said the men's room was "off limits to me"

say you were joking!

say i am allowed back in red robin, and i didn't do an absolute paint job in the men's room!

yeah, i neeeeeeeever do this... but i can't sell you a gun

meanwhile, on the other side of the bayou:

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

The league I've been playing in is coming to its final round tomorrow. I'm currently 3-2, I had games against 3 newbie opponents and then two better ones. Ivan's a mean bastard! I can't bring him out for friendly games.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

midwifecrisis posted:

The league I've been playing in is coming to its final round tomorrow. I'm currently 3-2, I had games against 3 newbie opponents and then two better ones. Ivan's a mean bastard! I can't bring him out for friendly games.

Is he really that bad? I picked him up with some other explorers stuff during Gencon but I haven't got a chance to try him out. I love the look of all the DUA stuff, though.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

I think he can be. His title doesn't seem as oppressive.

He's certainly counterable by a good player. But he has a lot of options and is really forgiving of mistakes. He gets positives to pretty much everything he does from very easily available resources, which he can trade one of for min 3 damage or a possible summon on his range 10 attack. His main support model, Gibson, has a strong shockwave that hands out Distracted, and can give out fast and make shadow markers. Plus his melee heal Umbra models. And he can make enemy models burn their distracted defensively, giving them negatives to their resistance flips.

He also has a shockwave of his own, which is repeatable and puts out shadow markers that further buff him and the crew by providing Concealing and more vectors to Shade Step to. Between that shockwave, Gibson's shockwave, a stat 7 Execute on Corvis Rook, Corvis/Eva's defensive tech that forces negatives unless you discard, it's very easy to burn an opponent's hand out consistently. The rest of his crew is a pretty versatile toolbox.

I'm not a super great player (my positioning is trash and I tend to make bad decisions in deployment and turn 1, which can just shut me down from scoring as well as I should the rest of the game), but with Encroaching Shadows you can easily escape a lot of bad situations by pushing 6" and ignoring other models. This is another source of forced simple duels for your opponent, which leads to more card/hand pressure. It can feel bad when your opponent starts hitting you with multiple positives to all of their attacks, summons things that can Mimic your beater's best weapon and cause more flips if you leave base contact (the Daeva); or deal irreducible damage/force more movement duels/disable healing/also be Terrifying 11 (the Brocken Spectre), and then can give you negatives from multiple sources.

Hell, just summoning a model into base contact with an enemy is going to give you two free positives to any further attacks against them, because your summons provide 1" of Concealing Terrain, and the friendly fire you'd be dealing with turns into a positive.

But he's definitely counterable. Stun him so he can't use his triggers or bonus actions, take advantage of his low Mv, burn his health by killing his totem. Attack his summons extremely low WP. Marker removal has big play against him - god drat Poltergeists. Pressure his own hand (though Gibson, Rook, and the Operatives can all help get them back). He himself hates 7 wp models, since his attacks are stat 6.

midwifecrisis fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 5, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does the Guild have any really good scheme runners?

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I am wondering if anyone has made or has seen a good quality cheat sheet for the game. Something with a brief step by step from set up to the end of the game. I can see in the core rule book there is one for timings etc during gameplay. I figure somebody in the community has made a better one. Speaking of the online rulebook do we know if it is updated with errata, or will I need that to be downloaded too? I was thinking of using Henchmen Hardcore as a way to relearn and teach the game. Or is there an equivalent slow build style of play where each player slowly adds models and complexity into each new round of play.

I really need to stop looking at the models from other factions. Like infinity, it is way too easy to buy into an entirely new master given the relatively small price of entry. Already I am tempted by the explorers society.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Does the Guild have any really good scheme runners?

Not a guild player, but I find that Mounted Guards are something I see do good work when it comes to scheming. 9 stones OOK gets pretty expensive, but 11 inches of unimpeded movement (that can get you out of melee thanks to RWM) with one AP left will do a lot of things.

A lot of the Journalist keyword is good at schemes too, though I would say they work best together rather than as individual hires. Undercover Reporter does a lot too.

I'm sure there's more, but that's a start.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TheFinalTuba posted:

Not a guild player, but I find that Mounted Guards are something I see do good work when it comes to scheming. 9 stones OOK gets pretty expensive, but 11 inches of unimpeded movement (that can get you out of melee thanks to RWM) with one AP left will do a lot of things.

A lot of the Journalist keyword is good at schemes too, though I would say they work best together rather than as individual hires. Undercover Reporter does a lot too.

I'm sure there's more, but that's a start.

False Witnesses and Sly Six-Shots have False Claim, probably the most powerful “scheme runner” ability besides Leap. In general Journalist is the “scheme marker” keyword, but individual models in other keywords (Queeg, Thalarian Quellers) have some ability to control and dispense markers.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A cross post from the mini painting thread!

SiKboy posted:

So; A Malifaux 2E Gunsmith

Some Metal Gamin

And this large lad is the Rail Golem. With him (and the Gamin) I tried to hit a happy medium between "keeping it simple" and "Big undifferentiated blob of gunmetal". First pass of the golem had metallic grey hands holding a metallic grey girder in front of a metallic grey torso, so I worked in some copper and brass on the body and arms, glazed some of the gun metal sections with Plaguebearer Flesh contrast and did some rusting on the girder. Good enough for government work.

Miss Step, an Alt model for Howard Langston. Honestly this one was part of a bigger lot, and I dont love the figure. I have a 1st ed metal Steamborg Executioner/Howard which is all round better looking. Got this one thrown in as a part of a bigger lot of models I actually wanted, and it got put in the painting pile rather than the "put back on ebay" pile entirely because its so spindly and fragile that its a minor miracle it made it through the post in one piece once, mailing it on to someone else would be asking for trouble. Thought I might like it more once I painted it but... Meh. Dont hate it, know it could look a little better if I push some highlights on the sin, but it does not spark joy so I'm moving on instead. Quite pleased with the scrap pile on the base.

Lastly the Grave Spirit Graveyard Spirit Restless Spirit which has gone through a couple of name changes depending on edition. Kind of like this gumpy little bastard for some reason. Gives a "I dont care if its halloween, some of us have work in the morning!" vibe.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

A cross post from the mini painting thread!
Looking good! The metal gamin are kind of weird in that there isn't really anything about them that screams "this is metal". They're pretty versatile as weird little monsters for other games.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Looking good! The metal gamin are kind of weird in that there isn't really anything about them that screams "this is metal". They're pretty versatile as weird little monsters for other games.

Thanks! The metal Gamin are weird in that way; They dont look anything like each other, or their associated Golem. The other Gamin that I've seen (Wind, Fire, Whiskey) at least look consistant to each other, but with the metal its like they couldnt decide between three different ideas (T1000 liquid metal blade arms! No, one fist of iron the other of steel lumbering bastard! No, metal lizardman!) so they just went with one of each. Only link between them is they are wrapped in chain, which is actually kind of a bastard because if you just shotgun gun metal over them you then have to find a way of distinguishing chain from torso (which is why my blade arm dude has a brass chain while the other two have steel; Because he has a steel body and they are brass and copper, which was my half assed explanation as to why they look so different).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Are there some major problems with distribution in the EU atm? I wanted to buy the M3e rulebook and found out that not only none of the Polish online stores have it, but when asked about possible restock the answer was basically "who the gently caress knows, we don't, the distributor doesn't either".

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 26, 2021

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

There's major problems with distribution everywhere right now.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

zerofiend posted:

There's major problems with distribution everywhere right now.

Global shipping is still all sorts of hosed up. Some ports they can't get ships unloaded, other ports don't have the cargo containers needed to load the ships, prices for priority shipping are skyrocketing....

Don't expect any small company to be able to get stuff to distributors reliably until stuff gets sorted out.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
There's also production problems. Paper shortages and power restrictions being placed on factories on China is throttling their ability to produce stuff even before you get to the problems with the ports.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

It's not just Wyrd either. See the Crisis Protocol thread for the occasional mutter about US availability of models.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Wyrd is supposedly getting a broad spectrum restock in mid-late November

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's a lot of companies going through the "find out" stage of the downsides of just-in-time production.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

Pierzak posted:

Are there some major problems with distribution in the EU atm? I wanted to buy the M3e rulebook and found out that not only none of the Polish online stores have it, but when asked about possible restock the answer was basically "who the gently caress knows, we don't, the distributor doesn't either".

That said...
https://www.wyrd-games.net/m3e-languages
these are just the book in .pdf form.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zalabar posted:

That said...
https://www.wyrd-games.net/m3e-languages
these are just the book in .pdf form.

I am aware of that, I have that PDF and consider it a last resort option in case I can't find a printed book.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

I am aware of that, I have that PDF and consider it a last resort option in case I can't find a printed book.
My FLGS has some, I can grab one and send it to you if you want. I'm in Denmark.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Finally got Cutting Edge Technology, and it looks like Lazarus is resin. Friend of mine says that some of the new Explorer's Guild, and Halloween model are in resin too, so I'm guessing Wyrd's having a hard time getting molds for injection molding.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Electric Hobo posted:

Finally got Cutting Edge Technology, and it looks like Lazarus is resin. Friend of mine says that some of the new Explorer's Guild, and Halloween model are in resin too, so I'm guessing Wyrd's having a hard time getting molds for injection molding.

Interesting. Aren't their limited editions usually metal?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

Finally got Cutting Edge Technology, and it looks like Lazarus is resin.
Resin as in old-style hard resin, or restic/thermoplasticine/other finecrap-lookalike?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Looks and feels like the real deal, complete with badly cast parts. It came in parts, in a ziplock bag.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So, restic. :vomarine:

At least tell me it's not preassembled.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

So, restic. :vomarine:

At least tell me it's not preassembled.

How can you tell? I only have experience with Mantic's lovely old restic, but this is nothing like that. It's pretty hard, and wasn't assembled.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

How can you tell? I only have experience with Mantic's lovely old restic, but this is nothing like that. It's pretty hard, and wasn't assembled.
Having assembled most of their m2e range, it looks off - slightly lighter color, less crisp detail (especially near sharp corners and mold lines), seems to have slight undercuts which are a major paint to do for hard plastic minis. Was it on a standard sprue like everything Malifaux, or a different type?

But the most important test is: does it take plastic glue, or did you have to use superglue?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I just noticed that my first post could be misinterpreted. I meant that it looks and feels like real cast resin.
There was no sprue, just the pieces in a ziplock, and I went straight for the superglue.

Edit: The Wyrd store says that it's hard pvc. So yes, restic.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 2, 2021

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
The new Razorspine Rattlers. One sculpted by a sensible sculptor, good size for the 40mm base, no annoying overhang.

The other:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Haha what is happening there? That's dire.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh that doesn't seem bad at all, it looks ni...
What in the actual gently caress :psyduck:

What set is that?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
It's the new Razorspine Rattlers box. It has the old one, which doesn't fit in at all anymore, and these two guys where the problem is that one is sculpted twice as big as the other one. It wouldn't be so bad if that giant one was half size.
Fun scale images:

The cards in box doesn't even fit the new sculpts, one of them is a mirror image of the m2e Rattler.

These two boxes (this, and the one with Lazarus) has been delayed since April, and I'm really not impressed with how they handled it. I asked for a replacement part for the Lazarus, because there's no detail on the ammo belt, and they told me that they can't do it. Because all of them are hosed up. Even their display models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
drat, I hoped that's just some special box they hosed up, but it seems I'll have to check every box for potential bullshit of this kind or limit myself to extra sculpts I absolutely need for lists and can't convert from older stuff.