Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Welcome to the Malifaux thread.

So what is Malifaux?

Malifaux is a diceless, character driven miniatures skirmish from the good folks at Wyrd Minatures.

Malifaux is set in a fictional earth, similar to our own where magic exists. In 1787, the greatest magical practitioners of the age held a great conclave to discuss one thing; Magic was becoming weaker to the point that even the most powerful magicians were having trouble with the most mundane magical acts.

The events of the conclave are not recorded, but the final result changed the world forever. The conclave used their combined energies to tear a hole in the fabric of reality itself and into another world. This tear would become know as the Breach. On the far side of the Breach they found a complete city, devoid of life, as if abandoned only moments before.

Shortly after, expeditions were mounted, travelling outside the city in all directions, finding swamps forests, frontier towns and, most importantly mining sites. In these mines they found an incredible faintly glowing crystal. The crystals were a magical reservoir, greatly amplifying the users magical ability and power. The crystals would turn dull and cease to be useful after a short time in use, but it was discovered that they would regain their powers whenever a person died nearby. This gave rise to their common name. Soulstone.

In short order, Soulstone would radically change how the world worked and how industry moved forwards. The demand for the gems from Earth was insatiable and the Guild, a large conglomerate of industrialists and their multitude of workers, controlled the flow of the stones from Malifaux and made fortune after fortune.

However in 1797, for reasons not yet known, the Breach began to close and shrink, despite the best efforts of the Guild and the magical practitioners at the time. Just before it closed, sounds of screaming and a fierce battle were heard on the Malifaux side. Right at the last instant, a body was thrown through the breach before it sealed shut. There was a single word carved into the mangled flesh. Ours

The following years were difficult, with the flow of precious Soulstone cut off, drastic measures were taken to keep the existing earthside stones powered, with the Guild issuing directives that soulstones be renewed at hospitals, prisons and anywhere that housed the elderly and sick. So dependant had the world become on soulstone, that most grudgingly accepted these cruel measures as necessary.

On 1897, exactly 100 years after the breach closed, to the very minute, it opened again, suddenly and unexpectedly. The city was there, exactly as it had always been, but of the previous settlers, there was no sign.

It is now 1901, and once more the Guild is in charge of Malifaux, the Governor tasked with keeping the peace and above all, keeping the Soulstones flowing back to earth, by whatever means necessary. But they are under assault from all sides, by the cunning Arcanists who resent the Guilds power, by the Ressurectionists who practice forbidden manics long thought forgotten and by the Neverborn, the natives of Malifaux who are working once again to throw out the human invaders.

So wait, diceless? How does that work?

Malifaux uses a deck of cards to determine contested actions, known as Duels.

An Unopposed Duel involves flipping a card, adding the card's value to the appropriate model statistic, and checking if that equals or beats the target number.

An Opposed Duel is much the same, however the defender also flips a card and adds their appropriate defence statistic. If the attackers total is greater than the defenders total, the effect goes off.

A Spell Duel is similar again, but it has both a target number (casting cost) and can often be defended against as well.

The innovative mechanic for Malifaux however, is the control hand. The control hand is generally six or more cards that you draw at the beginning of the turn and under most circumstances you can use these cards to replace another card you have flipped. Think of them as a store of 'good cards' you can use when you really need them. This is known as Cheating Fate.

The other innovative mechanic in Malifaux are Triggers. Triggers occur under specific conditions, usually involving a particular card suit or suits. If you flip or cheat the correct suit(s) and meet the criteria for the trigger, an extra effect occurs which could be anything from more damage, to paralysing your opponent, to stripping away their armour.

The final specific mechanic for Malifaux is Soulstones. Soulstones can be used to re-flip for initiate, and for certain models such as Masters and Henchmen, can be used to reduce incoming damage, heal wounds and most importantly, add an additional card to your duel total, vastly increasing your chances of being successful in your action. Soulstones are a limited resource however, so use them wisely.

The most recent book introduced Avatars. For an additional two soulstones, each Master (but not Henchmen) have the option to attach an Avatar. When certain criteria are met in game, the Master can manifest the Avatar, greatly changing how they perform on the table.

Who's Who in Malifaux

Lets talk about the Masters and Henchmen in the factions of Malifaux

The Guild is the authority in Malifaux. They make the law and they control the production of Soulstone from the Mines. Guild Masters and Henchmen are powerful figures working to keep the soulstones flowing, no matter who or what gets in the way.

Masters:

Lady Justice. Lady Justice is tasked with facing down the Ressurectionist threat in Malifaux. She has been changed by the necromantic magic she has to deal with on a regular basis, stealing her sight, but it has only made her stronger.

Perdita. Perdita Ortega has been tasked with keeping the Neverborn threat at bay. An expert gunman, Perdita leads her family through the forests and wilderness of Malifaux in search of their deadly foe.

Sonnia Criid. Sonnia was originally tasked with seeking out the unsanctioned magic users of the Arcanists factions, but she has since 'gone off the reservation', seeking out old secrets about Malifaux and its doom.

C. Hoffman. C. Hoffman was brought into the Guild to replace Sonnia and deal with the Arcanists, however he seems to have a conflict of interest, owing the life of his brother to the Arcanist Ramos.

Henchmen:

Lucius. Lucius is the Governors personal secretary. No mere pencil pusher, Lucius directly controls the considerable assets of the guild and works behind the scenes to ensure everything goes according to the governors will.

The Miners and Steamfitters Union (M&SU) are the most powerful union in all of Malifaux, and like unions earthside, are a front for organised crime. Their criminal arm is known as the Arcanists and they are a loose collection of high level magic users united against the Guild

Masters:

Ramos. Victor Ramos is the pre-eminent engineer of the day, rising to head of the Miners and Steamfitters Union he is also the leader of the Arcanists and controls most of the black market Soulstones the flow out of Malifaux

Marcus. Marcus used to be a university professor before he came to Malifaux, but coming through the Breach changed him and he has taken to the forests and jungles of Malifaux, with the native beasts accepting him as one of their own.

Rasputina. Originally a convict brought to Malifaux by the Guild, Rasputina was chosen as a conduit for a Tyrant entity known as December. Made stronger by the blessing and curse December, she had also begun to slowly go mad, ruthlessly butchering all the priests of December in their temple.

Colette. Colette Du Bois was a talented stage magician earthside, who brought her burlesque troupe through the Breach to Malifaux to set up as entertainers for the Guild's workers at the Star Theatre. Little do the clients know that the Star itself serves as a focal point for illegal Soulstone smuggling.

Henchmen:

Kaeris. Kaeris is Ramos' personal apprentice. Her skill with the arcane mechanical arts is matched only by her fiery personality.

The Ressurectionists are a loosely aligned group of practitioners of the forbidden magic of Necromancy, and the lethal nature of Malifaux means there's never a shortage of raw materials.

Nicodem. Nicodem is the well respected undertaker of Malifaux city. Working at the behest of the guild he sees to it the the dead are interred properly, or so he would have people believe.

McMorning. Dr McMorning is the Guilds mortician, performing autopsies and embalming bodies at their request. However his maniacal love of combining corpses in new and different ways has lead to some close calls with his employers.

Seamus. Seamus is insane, and it gives him power and drive that sanity just can't match. With a love of pretty girls and butchering pretty girls, he's a terror of Malifaux who moves through the city like a force of nature.

Kirai. Kirai Ankoku was a Three Kingdoms prostitute who feel in love with the Governors son. In a bungled attempt to kill Kirai and separate the young lovers, the governors son was killed and Kirai's heart was broken. She exists not as a force of vengeance, her spirit seeking revenge on those that have wronged her.

Henchmen:

Molly. Molly Squidpidge was a journalist for the Malifaux Daily Record until she was murdered and resurrected by Seamus. Molly isn't like Seamus' other belles, smarter and more alert, and with her own agenda to pursue.

The Neverborn are the native inhabitants of Malifaux. Creatures of myth and legend, they fight back against the human invasion. Malifaux is theirs, and they want it back.

Lillith. Lillith is the mother of monsters, leading her Nephilim brood to battle against the invaders of her home and showing them the terrible vengeance of nature's wrath.

Zorida. Zorida is actually a human who came to Malifaux at the time of the first opening. Old now, she knows Malifaux as well as any living creature, and watches the paths of fate and pulls its strings.

Pandora. Yes, that Pandora. She unleashes woes from her box upon the world of man.

The Dreamer and Lord Chompy Bits. The Dreamer is actually a small boy who lives earthside and enters Malifaux through his dreams. Teaming up with a nightmare entity he christened 'Lord Chompy Bits' he plays games with his 'friends' in his dreams. Bang Bang, you're dead.

Henchmen:

Coloddi. Coloddi was a puppet created to entertain children during the first breach. Alone for a long time, he rushed to see the children when they returned, but they shouted at him and threw things. Now he travels from town to town creating new puppets that strangely resemble children missing from the towns he has visited...

The Outcasts are a catch-all group for the criminals, mercenaries, opportunist and dregs of Malifaux.

The Victorias. Uniquely two masters in one, the sisters are unsurpassed swordswomen who sell their blades to the highest bidder in Malifaux.

Leviticus. Something of a rogue element in Malifaux, this old man works with an unusual fusion of mechanical and living tissue to create his minions. He has a bad habit of dying regularly and hanging out with young women.

Som'er Teeth Jones. The Gremlins are native to Malifaux, small green creatures who readily copy bad habits from humans. They love moonshine, pigs and banjo music. As the biggest, Som'er is the boss.

Hamlin the Plagued. Hamlin was a mere ratcatcher before he died and became the physical form for a Tyrant entity known as the Plague. The plague seeks only to spread contagion around the city.

Henchmen:

Von Schill. Like a true mercenary, Von Schill is in Malifaux for the money. He brings with him a highly trained group of men and women that he directs with ruthless efficiency .

Ophelia. Ophelia was just a normal gremlin until the day she spotted Perdita Ortega marching through the Bayou. She reasoned that if a human female could lead humans with a pretty hat, having her own pretty hat would allow her to lead the gremlins. Perhaps its for the best that she didn't meet Collette.

Okay, I'm convinced, how many firstborn children will I need to sell to play this game?

One of the great things about Malifaux is that its very cheap to get into. You can get a full set of the rules HERE and you can play with a regular 54 card deck to start with. You only initial outlay to try the game will be a boxed set for any of the above Masters or Henchmen, which will contain enough models to let you play a 25 Soulstone game. Boxed sets run from between $30 and $40 depending on the number and size of models.

I tried it and I'm addicted, what do I do now?

Generally you'll want to boost your crew to 35 Soulstones, this will usually mean one or two more clamshell packs, depending on your Master. You may also want to purchase a copy of the Rules Manual, and a Card deck for yourself. After that, the sky is the limit.

You may also want to look at:

Book 1: The core Malifaux rulebook with all the fluff and the stat cards for Masters and Minions. The rules have been superseded by the Rules Manual, so you don't strictly need it.

Book 2 Rising Powers: Book 2 contains more fluff and model stats, but like book 1, the rules are superseded by the Rules Manual.

Book 3 Twisting Fates: The most recent book with rules for Avatars and a whole slew of new minions to use.

The Malifaux Rules Manual: A very useful summation of all the rules from Books 1 & 2 including all errata. Pretty much a must-have, but you can get a free electronic copy here.

Gaming Resources

Nifty laser cut wooden game tokens can be purchased from Advanced Deployment

Ratty's Malifaux Page has a lot of resources including printable tokens for strategies and schemes, tokens and other useful things.

Other handy links:

http://www.malifaux.com Wyrd's official site with some fluff, a handy crew creator. Their forums are quite good and you can get an official ruling on any rules questions you may have.

http://www.terraclips3d.com/ The homepage for Terraclips, the terrain system for Malifaux by World Works Games. (Note: Terraclips are not required to play Malifaux, but they sure look pretty)

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/A Malifaux Wiki

http://theaethervox.com/ A (mostly) Malifaux podcast.

Icons:

In case you want to reference a specific icon in your post, you can copy these:

Tomes
Masks
Rams
Crows

Melee Strike
Ranged Strike

Positive flip
Negative flip

Aura
Pulse
Explosion

Eyespy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Reserved

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
This game looks sweet and is going to suck out of my wallet whatever WH40K has overlooked.

Oxford Comma fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 23, 2011

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
This game looks fairly interesting, but as per usual, its a Traditionl Game I can't play in my country :(

Wonder if there is a way to play it on Play By Post, and if there's interest for such a thing.

Cock Goblin
Mar 25, 2008

gobblegobblegobblegobble
thats all i do around here
I'll be damned, someone finally made a thread for this awesome game. This is easily my favorite miniatures game ever and not enough good things can be said for it.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I just got into this game before I graduated and had to move back home for a few months. Hoping to get back into it soon though, it's a great game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So if I wanted to purchase two to four box sets and make a table for this game to demo/play what factions would be ideal?

I do like the look of the Goblins in general, because I love that bayou poo poo. Could I run both Goblin crews against each other as a decent game demo?

Other than that I like the look of Lucius, McMorning and Rasputina looks fun to paint.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Here's a good quick-reference card someone drew up:

And a general page of awesome downloads:
http://tabletopgeeks.com/malifaux-downloads/

Wood tokens like the ones seen here:

Can be purchased from South Paw Studios (also check out their basehugger status tokens). They're pretty sweet.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So if I wanted to purchase two to four box sets and make a table for this game to demo/play what factions would be ideal?

I do like the look of the Goblins in general, because I love that bayou poo poo. Could I run both Goblin crews against each other as a decent game demo?

Other than that I like the look of Lucius, McMorning and Rasputina looks fun to paint.

There's no real ideal combination. The boxed sets are fairly balanced against each other, and the game is well balanced Faction to faction.

Generally my advice for new players is to pick the box or faction you think is coolest and start there. If you like gremlins, buy gremlins.

Also: OP updated.

Significant Hombre
Oct 21, 2011

they say hes bald but i know better

Eyespy posted:

There's no real ideal combination. The boxed sets are fairly balanced against each other, and the game is well balanced Faction to faction.

Generally my advice for new players is to pick the box or faction you think is coolest and start there. If you like gremlins, buy gremlins.

Also: OP updated.

I would say this is mostly true, but I would definitely advise sticking away from Leviticus and Hamelin for a new player.

Leviticus isn't the most intuitive master, as his rules revolve heavily around Leviticus himself dying (for example, he isn't allowed to draw a new hand of cards unless he dies). He's a Master that requires a fair understanding of the rules before you can really get going with him in my opinion.

Hamelin isn't all that confusing to play, but his starter box may seem pretty weak outside of Nix and Hamelin to a new player, there's a fair chance they'll look at the Malifaux Rats and thinks 'huh, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?'Plus, you're going to need a few extra Malifaux Rats to play Hamelin because of all of his methods of summoning them.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Significant Hombre posted:

I would say this is mostly true, but I would definitely advise sticking away from Leviticus and Hamelin for a new player.

Probably true. Marcus is similar as you'll need to buy at least a few more Beasts for Myranda to turn into. Ramos also had you needing more spiders so you can have them as swarms and individually. Lillith needs a box of Young Nephillim for the Terror Tots to grow into etc.

Basically everything can be expanded on easily and isn't quite optimal at the 25 soulstone starter box level, but still quite playable.

You're still looking at only 6-10 models at the 35 Soulstone level.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
The thing I most like about crew creation is that the game encourages theme over netdecking. Sure the latter can be done, but I feel that the game works best (in both the mechanics and fun factors) if you focus on a theme. Do you like robots? Use Hoffman or Ramos. Do you like the authoritarian side of the Guild? Run Lucius' Special Forces. Like sad, betrayed, ghost ladies filled with a terrible longing for their lost love? Play Kirai and a poo poo-ton of ghosts.

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good
If you are interested in Gremlins considered starting with Ophelia LaCroix (the Born on the Bayou set), Young Lacroix and Slop Haulers. Grab some Bayou Gremlins if you find yourself playing larger games. Ophelia plays up the synergistic elements of the gremlins, whereas Som'er Teeth Jones (the other Grem leader) uses gremlins and pigs as a squishy, unpredictable and expendable tide of meat and is generally considered to be less forgiving on new players.

I played a match using Perdita Ortega last night and let me say, Dat Master. The Ortega family is a great crew for new players, I think. Each model is quite sturdy against strikes, magic and influence effects and has ranged abilities ranging from well above par to terrifying. The SS cost of each model is high, so you only have to field about 4 or 5 figures in an average sized battle. As someone who paints slowly and infrequently, this is a Good Thing. The boxed set works out at 25ss and it's really easy to build a crew around.

Sticky Beethoven fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 25, 2011

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

So Wyrd released their release schedule for the next quarter:

quote:

November:

WYR1044 - Alternative Justice - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR1045 - Avatar Justice - Small Box - $35.00
WYR2047 - Molly - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR2049 - Crooligans (3 Pack) - Clamshell - $18.00
WYR2050 - Rogue Necromancy - Clamshell - $14.00
WYR2051 - Alternative Flesh Construct - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR2052 - Drowned (3 Pack) - Clamshell - $18.00
WYR3030 - Kaeris - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR3031 - Gunsmith - Male - Clamshell - $9.00
WYR3039 - Gunsmith - Female - Clamshell - $9.00
WYR3049 - Fire Gamin (3 Pack) - Clamshell - $18.00
WYR4042 - Alternative Pandora - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR4043 - Avatar Pandora - Small Box - $40.00

December:

WYR1074 - Exorcist - Clamshell - $10.00
WYR3042 - Alternative Ramos - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR3043 - Avatar Ramos - Small Box - $28.00
WYR3046 - Alternative Rasputina - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR3047 - Avatar Rasputina - Small Box - $30.00
WYR5066 - McTavish - Clamshell - $18.00
WYR5067 - Sue :dance: - Clamshell - $10.00

January:

WYR3050 - Angelica - Clamshell - $10.00
WYR3051 - Alternative Arachnid Swarm - Clamshell - $9.00
WYR4044 - Alternative Zoraida - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR4045 - Avatar Zoraida - Small Box - $35.00
WYR5059 - Alternative Som'er Teeth Jones - Clamshell - $10.00
WYR5060 - Avatar Som'er and Peaches - Small Box - $45.00
WYR5068 - Ten Thunders Brother (3 Pack) - Clamshell - $20.00

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
What's the deal with Henchmen as opposed to Masters? Can they lead a crew?

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Yes. Henchmen can lead a crew (which costs you no soulstones, if fact it increases your budgets by a small amount as henchmen typically aren't as strong as masters) or be hired as if they were normal minions. Either way, their presence let's you hire as many minions from the corresponding Special Forces group as you can afford. Usually you can only hire a maximum of two.

Sticky Beethoven fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 25, 2011

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Yes with a bit of a caveat. Henchmen aren't quite the same power level as Masters (but drat close). To make up for that, that have a Henchman Reserve (listed on their cards as Henchman #). This can be used to buy soulstones or additional model above the soulstone total of the game, unlike a Masters Cache which is only ever a set number of soulstones.

Henchmen also are leaders of Special Forces. A crew lead by a Master can only have two Special Forces models (from a single Special Forces type), unless it contains the appropriate Henchman. If a Henchman leads the crew, or is a part of it, the model limit is removed, but you;re still limited to a single Special Forces.

For instance: Lucious has the stats Henchman 4, Special Forces (Elite Division). He could bring a total of 39 points of models (or combined models and soulstones) to the table in a 35SS scrap and have as many Special Forces (Elite Division) models as you can fit in the list.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Sticky Beethoven posted:

I played a match using Perdita Ortega last night and let me say, Dat Master. The Ortega family is a great crew for new players, I think. Each model is quite sturdy against strikes, magic and influence effects and has ranged abilities ranging from well above par to terrifying. The SS cost of each model is high, so you only have to field about 4 or 5 figures in an average sized battle. As someone who paints slowly and infrequently, this is a Good Thing. The boxed set works out at 25ss and it's really easy to build a crew around.

Add in Abuela and the Convict Gunslinger at higher ss levels and you've got a mean(er) alpha strike list. Alternatively, bring along the nephilim totem as well and abuse the hell out of Obey.

Cock Goblin
Mar 25, 2008

gobblegobblegobblegobble
thats all i do around here
I'm so happy they're bringing out alternative models to make up for some of the ugly looking first run ones. Rasputina in particular got such a nicer looking new alternative model compared to what her original design was.

Cock Goblin fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 25, 2011

Significant Hombre
Oct 21, 2011

they say hes bald but i know better
Man, the alternate Flesh Construct is great, it's nice to see that they can make a Frankenstein monster that doesn't look like Herman Munster with down syndrome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I approve of this thread. One of the locals at my lgs is on the design team and there is a really big player base. Its really only a matter of time before I get suckered in to buying some cool goblins w guns or something

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
FFFF, drat my laziness at not jumping on making this thread. This game has been my obsession for the last couple of months!

For a good teaching crew, get the Perdita set. Perdita does her cool stuff via point-and-shoot but drat she is good at shooting. Also most of her crew are companions which will demonstrate how horrible an entire crew activatation at once.

Right now this is my crew I am building (though our FLGS usually plays 30 point matches)

Neverborn Crew - 35 - Scrap

Zoraida, the Hag -- 8 Pool

• Doppelganger [8ss]
  • Mature Nephilim [10ss]
  • Nurse [6ss]
  • Papa Loco [7ss]

Zoraida can summon voodoo dolls which are totems that choose a target in line of sight when they come into play. As long as the doll is right near Zorida, she can cast on the target no matter where or how far it is. The big ability for Zorida is her huge willpower and Obey which lets you perform a (1) action or a charge on the target. Her doll can also cast it (since it's Zorida's totem) and so can the Doppelganger (by copying the skill)!

So the following turn becomes doable. Mature Neph activates next to the group. Melee stuff three times. On next activation, have Doppleganger copy Obey and cast it on Mature Neph for another attack. On next activation, have Zorida companion her doll and have it go first (when it was summoned, target the Neph). Have it cast Obey on Neph for another attack. Have Zorida go immediatly next. Have her cast Obey using Casting Expert on the Neph (she could be around the corner casting through the doll) to have it attack again. Zorida summons another Doll which targets the Neph. It activates right after it was summoned and have it cast Obey on the Neph again for another attack.

Best thing about casting Obey on your own people is you can have the defender just take the spell (you still flip for the resist duel, but you can automatically can call for a tie which means the defender loses)

I started with Dreamer, trying to pull myself away from temptations of the Alp bomb (which was errated to not be of an instant win) but found the mobility of Zorida alone with her deck manipulation (she can use the top card of the Discard pile as a card again. Especially nice when you cheat out a red joker for an obey and then use the same red joker for a Hex which removes a talent or ability from a model)

She can also use Obey on Papa Loco (who can be hired since he has < 4 will power) to make him run a really far distance into a tight pack and cause him to blow himself up several times.

The Nurse is there to give her dosed shots to Papa Loco since he can shrug off the "Sacrifice at end of turn" effect.

For the OP, mention that unlike WH40K, the company erratas constantly instead of waiting for the next codex. It sucks to keep up with it, but it prevents people from exploiting a mechanic for too long

If anyone lives around the NOVA area, let me know because I can demo a game for you around Falls Church, VA

edit: also looking forward to Sue for Zorida :)

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 26, 2011

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

One thing I would like to point out for Henchmen, only because my friend and I were talking about this earlier tonite, is that they can only be taken in scraps, not in brawls. Though checking the rules, I think you might be able to take Hoffman and Ramos in the same list in a Brawl... I think.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Malifaux is great. For someone who has no desire to collect hundreds of little identical plastic soldiers, a game where you can buy a box of pretty ladies to paint is fantastic. Teleporting showgirls around the board is fun, pure and simple. I've bought some other crews for demos, and when I get the Viks and the Ortegas painted I plan to apply for Henchman status on the Wyrd site.

Painting a few models at a time is good for slower painters like myself.

The game requires a fair amount of terrain, but that's easily provided with a box of children's building blocks, a farmhouse playset, and some chalk.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
It's nice to finally see a thread for this game. Some friends got my into this recently and I've been building up a Nephilim force since about August. I only played my second game yesterday, but I managed to just eke out a win against an Ortega crew by 1 VP.

One thing happened to me which made me question my playing, I drew the red joker into my control hand on the very first draw, then never actually used it during the entire game because I was waiting for that "perfect time" to do so. Was I playing too cautiously? Should I have just thrown it out there to ensure a quick kill? How do other people deal with having that in their hands?

Oh also at one point we managed to both draw black jokers at the same time. My smug grin got turned upside down when I made that flip.

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good

FractionMan posted:

One thing happened to me which made me question my playing, I drew the red joker into my control hand on the very first draw, then never actually used it during the entire game because I was waiting for that "perfect time" to do so. Was I playing too cautiously? Should I have just thrown it out there to ensure a quick kill? How do other people deal with having that in their hands?

In almost all cases, holding onto the red joker for more than a turn or two is a bad idea. The quicker you play it, the more likely it is to come up again for further benefit.

That said, because it's so gosh darn good, you want to use it where it will extract the best result possible. Picking these crucial moments is a vital gaming skill, one I'm still working on myself. I would submit that the red joker's wild suit makes it extremely nasty in conjunction with spellcasters with high-cost, high-return spells or characters that rely on triggers and this is probably what you should be looking at rather than its high numerical value.

EDIT: All this ties into ponderings I've had about what is referred to in the Magic: the Gathering metagame as Card Advantage. Much like in Magic, I'm fairly confident that Card Advantage is one of the most powerful strategies in Malifaux, although for different reasons. While the topic is worth more discussion than just this one post, suffice to say that the ability to improve the quality of your hand beyond random chance owns bones because it not only enables your crew to do the things that they do well more often, it stops your opponent from doing the things that they do well at the same time. At any rate, a useful corollary to all the above is that the more draw-related abilities you can use, the faster you should use the Red Joker.

Sticky Beethoven fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 30, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sticky Beethoven posted:

In almost all cases, holding onto the red joker for more than a turn or two is a bad idea. The quicker you play it, the more likely it is to come up again for further benefit.

That said, because it's so gosh darn good, you want to use it where it will extract the best result possible. Picking these crucial moments is a vital gaming skill, one I'm still working on myself. I would submit that the red joker's wild suit makes it extremely nasty in conjunction with spellcasters with high-cost, high-return spells or characters that rely on triggers and this is probably what you should be looking at rather than its high numerical value.

EDIT: All this ties into ponderings I've had about what is referred to in the Magic: the Gathering metagame as Card Advantage. Much like in Magic, I'm fairly confident that Card Advantage is one of the most powerful strategies in Malifaux, although for different reasons. While the topic is worth more discussion than just this one post, suffice to say that the ability to improve the quality of your hand beyond random chance owns bones because it not only enables your crew to do the things that they do well more often, it stops your opponent from doing the things that they do well at the same time. At any rate, a useful corollary to all the above is that the more draw-related abilities you can use, the faster you should use the Red Joker.

This is why I enjoy playing Zorida. Her abilities remind me so much of blue magic in mtg with all of her deck and card manipulation.

I also never hold unto red joker's for long because I consider any flip drawing me nearer to my objectives the perfect moment. On the other hand, I do hold unto black joker's because I do hate seeing them flipped.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 30, 2011

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
Thanks guys, I got the feeling I was being too cautious but couldn't put my finger on why, that makes a whole heap of sense.

I got to use Lelu and Lilitu for the first time yesterday as well and was pleasantly surprised. Not as manoeuvrable as some of the other models I have but there's so much they can do. Killing someone in the resolve effects stage with Lelu is also incredibly cathartic.

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good

EVIR Gibson posted:

This is why I enjoy playing Zorida. Her abilities remind me so much of blue magic in mtg with all of her deck and card manipulation.

I also never hold unto red joker's for long because I consider any flip drawing me nearer to my objectives the perfect moment. On the other hand, I do hold unto black joker's because I do hate seeing them flipped.

Managing the black joker is a lot simpler. I generally hold black jokers until the start of turn 4 or 5, at which point I drop it before drawing. You can also cheat it out of your hand when you are trying to lose a duel (vs yourself is the most common example, although models with a blow-up-on-death effect sometimes like to be cheated low cards.) Because you're almost certainly safe from shuffling through the deck, you should ALWAYS dump your black joker before drawing on the start of the last turn, unless you really need low cards.

EDIT: In fairness, I guess there's a psychological element to this that I've not considered v:kiddo:v

Binbag
May 10, 2007
Mailfaux is indeed, excellent.

After years of feigning interest in GW games, and Warmachine, my Missus plays a miniatures game. She's far better at it than I am though, but we are looking at entering a doubles tournament in the new year so I'm hoping she carries my sorry rear end.

Currently playing Colette, but looking to move into Nicodem and the Resurrectionist faction.

Goddamit I love this game.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Sticky Beethoven posted:

You can also cheat it out of your hand when you are trying to lose a duel (vs yourself is the most common example, although models with a blow-up-on-death effect sometimes like to be cheated low cards.)

I love targeting my own Ice Gamin with Rasputina when they are in melee. I cheat down the defense flip with a black joker to get a positive flip on the damage, hopefully resulting in a 5 Blast damage to my opponent followed by a 2Dg pulse as Shatter goes off. +1 Dg to each if I can arrange for the Ice Golems aura to affect both.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Now that I looked back on my previous game, I would have killed Myranda if I waited a turn or until she was activated

I got a voodoo doll summoned able to see Myranda in LOS. I went and transformed her with Obey into the Jackalope, Marcus' totem, just so the player would have to waste a 0 ability on her.

The Voodoo Doll, at the end of the turn gives it's target Poison 2 which deals 2 damage on the next activation reducing the poison to 1 (but Voodoo resets it back to 2, repeat until doll is dead).

If I waited until Myranda activated, giving her no chance to change back at the beginning of her next activation as a Jackalope, she would instantly die from the 2 Poison.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

Now that I looked back on my previous game, I would have killed Myranda if I waited a turn or until she was activated

I got a voodoo doll summoned able to see Myranda in LOS. I went and transformed her with Obey into the Jackalope, Marcus' totem, just so the player would have to waste a 0 ability on her.

I thought Myranda could only turn into a beast you actually had the model for. I'm sure it's cool in a friendly game but I can't see that happening in a competitive setting unless you just happened to have your own model.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Eyespy posted:

I thought Myranda could only turn into a beast you actually had the model for. I'm sure it's cool in a friendly game but I can't see that happening in a competitive setting unless you just happened to have your own model.

It was a friendly game and I JUST saw that ruling. So yes, it was illegal but I don't think I'll buy a Jackalope any time soon. Not sure Myranda is all too popular in the competition field.

Our Henchman is trying to get us to play faster which I can do. It's just there are some people who overthink their strategy and spend up to 5-10 minutes coming up with a move.

If you ever find yourself doing this, then read the pull my finger wiki whenever you want. It will probably tell you, in general, what that master will do so you know not to touch any structure when you are near Rasputina or go nuts trying to kill Leviticus without a backup plan for the waifs.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

It was a friendly game and I JUST saw that ruling. So yes, it was illegal but I don't think I'll buy a Jackalope any time soon. Not sure Myranda is all too popular in the competition field.

I'm not sure. As more beasts become available, the more powerful she becomes.

I think there's an excellent combo whereby you change Myranda into a Malifaux Raptor on turn 1, attack your own master then cheat the damage down. The Trigger means that your master is a Beast for the rest of the game, meaning Myranda can steal their spells up to three times a turn thanks to furious casting.

With nuke masters like Rasputina or even Collettes Wizard Duel, that's a lot of pain you can put out.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Im just happy I can pre-order Sue from my FLGS. There are better ways to spend my SS but none of those ways are Johnny Cash, so they fail pretty hard

Sadly this means no Tuco for awhile. Damnit, I want that cool hat in my gang

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
So has anyone seen Lelu and Lilitu used to great effect besides Nekima making Lili really broken* (Which was errated out)?

If you wanted to know what make Nekima broken was her Neph Heart 0 ability always gave Lili an extra mask which always made her Lure;s trigger, which is cast Lure again, until a resist was made. Lure says make a melee attack on the thing if it's close enough after the push so you could Lure something to death from 18 inches away.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 31, 2011

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

MisterShine posted:

Im just happy I can pre-order Sue from my FLGS. There are better ways to spend my SS but none of those ways are Johnny Cash, so they fail pretty hard

I want to put Sue on my Christmas list, but this will involve explaining to elderly relatives how to purchase a specific 'toy soldier' including providing detailed instructions and a map.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Eyespy posted:

I want to put Sue on my Christmas list, but this will involve explaining to elderly relatives how to purchase a specific 'toy soldier' including providing detailed instructions and a map.

Eyespy, please put this awesome piece of work in the OP. It's pretty awesome bit-work

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I really enjoy the game itself, however it seems to invite nothing but creeps and the weirdest rules lawyers ever. Literally the last time I stopped in to check out the league night at my FLGS, there was a serious discussion regarding the tentacles having sex with Pandora and possibly reworking the figure to show this. This discussion was held for over 20 minutes, and was held by at least 5 people.

Only people I know in Tucson that play it are those guys.