Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping that's it's just these super delayed boxes that has problems. Tell No Tales for the Ressurectionists has been delayed in a similar way, so I'm eagerly waiting for someone to report back on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Painting thread cross post!

Electric Hobo posted:

Wyrd had another painting contest so I entered a couple of minis. I got a combined 0 votes, so room for improvement! I don't care enough about contests to not mess around with stuff, so these are done with oils. I'm still not great with them, but I'd say that I'm getting better.

Annoyingly out of focus Blood Hunter.

Hamelin. Need some better eyes everywhere.

Mouse, converted to a burning undead to go with my other fire models. Surprisingly, yellow oils are insanely opaque, so the yellow OSL took over a bit.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Electric Hobo posted:

That Hammelin looks particularly good! I really dig the greenish skin effect.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

I like the Blood Hunter! Snout looks good and wet.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Another painting thread X-post.

SiKboy posted:

Been on a bit of a tear the last couple of weeks for some reason, heres the highlights. All Malifaux figures, as per. Been doing odds and sods that round out some already painted crews rather than any new crews.

The Guild Steward/Governors Proxy. ebay rescue, was missing a hand when I got him. Actually, technically had both hands, but one hand was missing all but one finger, so it got amputated and replaced.

Two Goryo for the Resurrectionists. As an aside, these were two of the worst models to build I've ever encountered in my drat life. After I built them they had to sit in the pile of shame for about 4 months until the memory of the frustration somewhat faded and I could bear to look at them again. Fun enough to paint in the end though!

Two Scavengers for Leviticus' outcast group. By contrast these were practically push-fit, went together like a dream.

Arcanists, Union Miners from the Miners and Steam-Fitters Union.

And lastly, from the Arcanist Foundry faction Neil Henry and Willie the Demolitionist.

I think thats me now finished the Foundry keyword, they have been some of my favourites to paint tbh. I'll do a whole crew picture when the varnish is dry on Willie.

Unrelated, but I bought a Widow Weaver off've ebay, sealed in box. Opened the shrink wrap, opened the box and... No model. Card was there, base was there, sponge packing thingy and "thank you for buying malifaux, build instructions on our website!" card was there, but... No sprue with the figure on. Its a trusted seller who I've bought from loads of times before (and while it is possible to re-heat seal stuff it'd be way more of a pain than getting the pittance I paid for it would be worth). Anyone had any experience with that? I've contacted wyrd through their website, but I dont think I'm going to get anywhere because gently caress, I wouldnt believe me.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully the seller will refund you voluntarily, otherwise you can hit them with a paypal dispute. Or you can let it go if you don't think it's enough money to get pissed about.

And nice painting! I always love the Willie model, he's just so happy!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I wish you could use Willie and the Willie alt model, they look like they'd really get along.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
By the way, those railroad bases. Homemade, bought or printed? They're pretty cool.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

By the way, those railroad bases. Homemade, bought or printed? They're pretty cool.

Bought, and I'm afraid I dont even have a link I can give you! They were in a big lot of "assorted malifaux/warmahordes bases" I picked up, one 30mm one, a handful of 40mm ones and 2 50mm ones. Was originally going to put the rail golem on one, but his feet are too wide and flat to fit on it properly, but willie can run his wheelbarrow right between the rails.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Another X-post from the mini painting thread:

SiKboy posted:

Been a bit of a busy week, so not got much painting done. Did finally build some figures that have been sitting around waiting for a while though.

Some Sanctioned Spellcasters

And Thalarian Quellers (all Malifaux 2E/3E)

I liked the Sanctioned Spellcasters until I came to actually paint them, when they started to annoy me. Not a huge amount of detail, but what there was tended to be fiddly/hard to reach (goggle straps between the back of the head and a massive collar, that sort of thing). Plus they are all levitating with their billowing cloaks supporting the figure, but all I could think about is "What about when they are walking somewhere? They'll be tripping over that thing the whole drat time". Plus even when floating its trailing on the ground, is it not going to be constantly wicking up water and mud?

The Quellers... I like the male one a whole bunch. The undershirt and braces gives a real "you've interrupted the grumpy steampunk wizard just as he was getting in from work and now he's pissed" vibe. The female one is fine but they very much do not look like they belong in the same faction let alone are the same troop type. Its not a bad figure by any stretch, but it feels like the sculptor spent all his time on the male one, realised he was supposed to make two sculpts and slapped some goggles and a bolt pistol on a "barbarian sorceress" 3d render he had lying around and called it a day.

Bonus; As I've recently added a decent amount of Foundry and Witch Hunter figures, heres my extant crews for them;

I think thats the Foundry complete, and the Witch Hunters as complete as they are likely to get for the forseeable (I dont have any thralls, but they come in a box with Handlers which I already have, and the wyrd website lists Spelleaters which I assume are new/upcoming releases?).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Another X-post, Brewmaster this time!

SiKboy posted:

Done some more malifaux gremlins, just waiting on it being dry enough outside to go varnish them. Which might mean they are waiting til late march right enough.

The Brewmaster and Apprentice Wesley

Fingers Leong and the Moon Shinobi (a joke I literally just got when I went to type it; Moonshine-obi because they work for the brewmaster who makes whiskey)

The Whiskey Golem

And the whole crew including some stuff I had painted a while back (2 Whiskey Gamin, Popcorn Turner and Cooper Jones, who is mostly obscured behind the brewmaster but oh well). I do have some Fermented River Monks to add at some point, but who knows when I'll get around to painting them.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Is there any place where I can get an overview of each faction's gameplay style or is it more Master dependedent?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Is there any place where I can get an overview of each faction's gameplay style or is it more Master dependedent?

It's really master and keyword dependent. Each faction has a variety of playstyles in it, although some factions will have a few similarities across all of it's masters. Gremlins for example will almost always have more models on the table than anyone else.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

SiKboy posted:

X-post from painting thread:

I dont actually have any minions for Toni because it was a 2E M&SU box I picked up so the minions in the box are the Oxfordian Mages who are now Academic keyword instead, and people keep outbidding me on the Union Steamfitters when they come up on ebay. (aka I keep lowballing bids for them when they come up because I dont find them massively exciting models I guess).

Ancient post, but could I use your images in an article on Malifaux I'm writing for Goonhammer?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I just now noticed that Leveticus2 has the Horseman keyword, so now I'll have to get him and the rest of riders. Too bad-ish, because the Abominations are one of the few model groups that I think are too edgy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ancient post, but could I use your images in an article on Malifaux I'm writing for Goonhammer?

Of course, I'd be flattered!

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm glad to hear more people are taking about this game. It really needs more positive press. Has anyone found a good TTS (Tabletop Simulator) mod for Malifaux? MCP (Marvel Crisis Protocol) despite how new it is, has easily the best TTS mod I have seen. The only other one that's even close is Infinity. It is still difficult to get in person games of anything locally and TTS is a great gate way to get people playing. I have a few friends who I am trying to bring back to ME3 with me and I figured playing some trial games on TTS might do the trick.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Hoboskins posted:

I'm glad to hear more people are taking about this game. It really needs more positive press. Has anyone found a good TTS (Tabletop Simulator) mod for Malifaux? MCP (Marvel Crisis Protocol) despite how new it is, has easily the best TTS mod I have seen. The only other one that's even close is Infinity. It is still difficult to get in person games of anything locally and TTS is a great gate way to get people playing. I have a few friends who I am trying to bring back to ME3 with me and I figured playing some trial games on TTS might do the trick.
I've mostly seen people play it on vassal, that at least works pretty well.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Quotin' myself

SiKboy posted:

I think thats the Foundry complete, and the Witch Hunters as complete as they are likely to get for the forseeable (I dont have any thralls, but they come in a box with Handlers which I already have, and the wyrd website lists Spelleaters which I assume are new/upcoming releases?).

Because guess what came up on ebay for a price I was willing to pay? The 2e witching thralls without the handlers! So I painted them. X-post from the mini painting thread;

SiKboy posted:

Last things I painted in 2021, a pair of Witchling Thralls (malifaux)

And first things I painted in 2022, a Ulix Turner crew (malifaux again). Following on discussion of flock a few weeks ago, most of these use a mixture of static grass and railway modeling flock to try and get a sort of effect of ground being churned up by pigs with vegetation of different lengths on it.

Ulix himself
His dog Penelope
The Old Major
I'm not going to post shots of every model, but I'm including the Hog Whisperers here, not because of them particularly (big overhanging hat brims makes it hard to get a good shot of them) but because I'm reasonably happy with how the giant turnip turned out. Since taking the photo I have trimmed down the single massively overlong strand of static grass.

The whole crew together;

Bonus shots of my (now complete apart from the Spelleaters which I'm definitely not getting any time soon) witchhunter crew, and as I was taking pictures anyway I dug out some pigs of other keywords (I've now realised I forgot about the mechanized porkchop) I'd painted a while back and got a shot of them with the Ulix crew too: .

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I like that there's a pig based keyword. Nice looking as always!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

I like that there's a pig based keyword. Nice looking as always!

Yeah, the pigs of many nations are oddly pleasing! I've since realised that I've now painted every Bayou master. Not every single gremlin or anything, but every master and at least their keyword starter box which... I only picked up a malifaux box because it was reduced to clear in my FLGS, I was looking for something to paint and I thought Leviticus looked cool...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from the painting thread again;

SiKboy posted:

The Void Wretches. Two shades of very ugly green (the bone looking bits and the carapace are both the same colour, Coat d'Arms Putrid Green, but with different washes on top), Army Painter Plague Shader as a wash on everything apart from the heads which got a strong tone wash. Was quite pleased with the end result

The Nothing Beast. Same basic colours as the void wretches, but with an added jade green for the mouth tentacles, and Hexwraith flame for the bottom half.

Karina and Tara. Stuck with the same theme colours for karinas dress and apron thing, and the transformed arm on Tara. Sidenote, that sword is not sturdy at all and is definitely going to break at some point.

I had an idea for basing that just kind of didnt land. The whole theme of the crew is "obliteration", so I thought if I used GW mordant earth (their black crackle paste) over some really cold blue to show through the cracks, maybe with a little drybrushing on the cracks to catch the edges it would look like they are draining the energy of the world around them in an unearthly way. It does not. Worked well enough on a test base, but on the Void Wretches the cracks are just not eye catching at all, no matter what I tried to fix it, and because I'd applied it to the bases with the models alreadly glued down (they have loving spindly legs and in some cases separate feet, so I'm not confident about them surviving being removed from the base) I was kind of stuck with it. Switched to an undercoat of tesseract glow for Tara and Karinas bases which does look a bit better but still not the effect I'd imagined sadly. Should probably have gone in and glued a couple of dead grass tufts to their base, but they were last and I was just ready to be done with the basing tbh.

Anyway, whole crew shot to cap them off:

I'm pleased with the models in general, but still mildly annoyed about the bases. They've been varnished and put away for now, but I might get them back out and try to rebase them at some point.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Sup thread, I’ve been playing Misaki and having a good time. I’m planning on picking up the Foundry box when the nightmare1988 sets rerelease

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I like the idea of Misaki but when I played regularly, it seemed like most of my opponents could hit stuff that was buried and some could even pull her out from being buried. I got demoralized but I really like Ten Thunders. What do you run with her?

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I had a question about the new start collecting boxes. I am not familiar enough with all of the different box sets to know this, but are the miniatures inside them exclusive to those boxes or are they available in other sets? It looks like they are only available in those boxes at the moment.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they're exclusive. I'm not a fan of that!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Electric Hobo posted:

Yeah, they're exclusive. I'm not a fan of that!

Why is that? It's 4 same faction versatile models, so there's no mixed keyword/faction awkwardness.

I don't get how people approach the master titles boxes though. Here's three masters from three different factions you may or may not play!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

I don't get how people approach the master titles boxes though. Here's three masters from three different factions you may or may not play!
Two masters and a dual-keyword model for both of their factions. And if you don't play either, why the hell are you even buying the box?

Either way the point is best left for the timeline in which Wyrd actually ships the title boxes. I'm sitting on notification requests in multiple stores since like October. Same for the printed rulebook.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

Why is that? It's 4 same faction versatile models, so there's no mixed keyword/faction awkwardness.

Just because I don't want to pay extra for a deck and some cardboard pieces that aren't very good. The boxes are all quite a bit more expensive than a "normal" box around here.

And yeah, the master boxes are even worse than you said. You can't even really split the boxes because most players want the dual-keyword model.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Theyre already back to dual faction? I thought ending that was a big thrusting point for 3rd.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Theyre already back to dual faction? I thought ending that was a big thrusting point for 3rd.

There's been dual faction masters since 3E started though?

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, the latest update called Malifaux Burns introduced alternative versions of every Master, along with another model with two keywords from different factions. They're released as a box with both alt Masters and the shared models. For instance, English Ivan and Misaki come in one box along with an enforcer named Jin Baccara who is both DUA and Last Blossom.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I guess the answer is they are aimed at more veteran players and it's a way to draw people into picking up a new faction. Personally it's a bit of a turn off.

Would have been nice if there were plastic scheme tokens in those starter boxes come to think of it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My usual "I done painted some malifaux figures X-post!

SiKboy posted:

Some stuff I painted a few weeks back, but y'know, waiting for a dry day to varnish, then waiting for a day when you can actually be bothered to take photos, it all takes time.

A Basse Crew for Malifaux.

Cornelius Basse, the crew leader. Considered trying to do some OSL from his cigar but thought it would look weird (and also be really hard to do with his hat being in the way);

His daughter, Bernadette. Shes the one who I'm least happy with my efforts turned out, but the paint job looks better in person than in the picture.

Jonathan Reichart, the crews obligatory Large Lad;

3 frontiersmen;

And 2 guild Austringers which were part of a big ebay lot like 2 years ago and have been sitting since then til I picked up the Basse crew box recently. Theres some construction issues from their previous owner and the bird I've painted as a bald eagle is frankly the least secure figure I've ever painted; It broke 3 times while being painted and then again while being varnished, so it now has a very chunky ankle to try and reinforce it. I do really love the aesthetic of malifaux, but sometimes the construction is not ideal...

Crew photo!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'll be running an escalation league pretty soon! I'm hoping that it'll bring in some new players, so I don't have to play against the same 2 guys all the time. We're up to 4 players right now, so that's at least one person who wanted to check out the game.

Does anyone have any suggestions for running something like this? I'm thinking 3-5 round with an increasing number of soul stones, and, possibly, complexity. As this is an attempt to lure in new player, I don't know if throwing them in there with a full scheme pool right from the start is a good idea.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Tactical post in case someone made an equivalent of the Infinity tutorial campaigns for MFX

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

For 2nd edition, there was a great achievement league handout that you could just print up. It's so frustrating to see that it hasn't been updated. From what I can remember, it was 4 rounds. First round was Henchman led, 25 pt crews with set schemes and strategy, then 2nd was 35 pts with scheme pools and a new different strategy. 40 pts in the third round, then the final week was 50 pts. I think each week was a different strategy and the scheme pool was generated for the whole playgroup by the person running it so that everyone was on a similar page.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I bought another mixed lot off ebay with various bits an pieces, and the seller said he'd throw in anything else he had lying around, which turned out to be some malifaux rats, an alt metal Pandora, and this;

I think its intended as a (pretty reasonable) attempt to make a proxy Abomination for leviticus, but my question is; Does anyone recognise the model thats been used for the main body? More from curiosity than anything else. I thought at first it was the rising zombie from 2e nicodems base decoration, but I have that figure and its similar but not the same. I'm probably going to snip the arm-legs off and base it bursting out a grave as a mindless zombie, but I'd like to know what it was originally.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That's a good old zombie from Mantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

That was incredibly quick, especially considering its not even an actual wyrd model! Cheers.