Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterShine posted:

Still, kill the stitched and the main firepower of the crew is gone. Against a crew like Dreamer who are great at picking off models its quite the achilles heel. But I am far more used to 35SS games, so maybe im overestimating how quickly they could be taken down?

As for Daydreams, I always felt they should be bright and colourful and chompy should be the grimdark one. Bonus if you make him the same colours as the Daydreams but drag and dark versions of them.

It is either two madness one stitch or two stiched one madness.

I would love to have two of both, but 25 is very limiting.

\/ \/ \/ I've heard Pandora Avatar is not very fun to play with from the Malifaux boards (take that as you will). Sort of a paint, admire, and sit on the shelf. I will examine her more closely when I write an article on her model and see if this is actually true.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Is Pandora a good character for a new player to start with? FRP Games is having a 50% off anything currently on discount and I can snag her Alternative default with the Avatar of Insanity for less than $20. Haven't tried this but looks fun, already have some figures, and I know another goon that plays. I get the feeling her avatar of insanity will live up to it's name when I try to transport it, or just move it around in general. Hoffman is one of the guys I've already got that I could build around too. I get the feeling I will anyways once I get rolling into this (and finish painting my 40k stuff).

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Everything I have heard is her avatar is god awful. On the flip side she is an awesome master who has tons and tons of info on how to play her. Karn on the Wyrd forums has done a giant tactica and been on the Aethervox talking about her for a whole episode.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, some avatars I just don't understand how they are better than their normal counterparts. Chompy and Colette come to mind for masters I play.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

So Evir or anyone else who feels like chiming in. For that NoVA tourney coming up what would you reccommend for a 25ss Crew led by Ophelia? I've never really played other than teaching a few friends the game so I'm at a loss when it comes to putting together a crew other than one straight out of a starter box.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

TarDolphinorShark posted:

So Evir or anyone else who feels like chiming in. For that NoVA tourney coming up what would you reccommend for a 25ss Crew led by Ophelia? I've never really played other than teaching a few friends the game so I'm at a loss when it comes to putting together a crew other than one straight out of a starter box.

Really, the box set is awesome already for 25 pts. Get 2 or 3 young LaCroix (depending if you want less or more soulstones ) and you got yourself a really mobile and powerful gunline.

For those wondering what tourney he is talking about, its a 25 pt tourney at huzzah games mid Feb. I'll post the info when I get home

The url for the tourney in ashburn VA. Taking place on Feb 18th with a unique newbie/expert classification.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27613

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 3, 2012

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Awesome I'll probably just just take the starter then and have a nice cache of soul stones. Although I really want to paint up my 4 bayou gremlins I have so I can move into painting my Zoraida crew. I just have too much of a backlog. I do want to get a young lecroix eventually and a pack of slop haulers but that will have to wait until my birthday probably. Thanks for the info.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
If you want to see the February releases The War Store put them up for pre-order

http://www.thewarstore.com/wyrdpreorders.html

Ghost Town Base Inserts

Witchling Handler

Rafkin the Embalmer

Alt. Marcus

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

aMarcus is goofy as gently caress

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterShine posted:

aMarcus is goofy as gently caress

I saw Avatar Zorida in the link above and am going to order one.

She is AMAZING in avatar form after trying out another person's copy. She loses Raven form, but she gets obeys that can trigger another obey and the fact anyone can use her "I cheat this 13 down and use Bayou two card to use it for damage", not just her.

I do not like her voodoo dolls are destroyed when manifesting even though she keeps the ability to summon another voodoo doll in avatar form.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Backno posted:

If you want to see the February releases The War Store put them up for pre-order

http://www.thewarstore.com/wyrdpreorders.html

Ghost Town Base Inserts

Witchling Handler

Rafkin the Embalmer

Alt. Marcus

Sorry to be daft here, but how are they feburary pre-orders when I know a person who already has avatar marcus (in Australia, so he wouldn't have gotten it at some con).

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Wazzu posted:

Sorry to be daft here, but how are they feburary pre-orders when I know a person who already has avatar marcus (in Australia, so he wouldn't have gotten it at some con).

He probably bought it from a person who bought it at a Con or from a store that bought a few at a con. I know they had the Kirai avatar at Gen Con this year for example.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So I went and bought the three Rider models, thinking I could do the Leviticus thing when his Avatar comes out, but then I saw his was listed as the fifth horseman. Anyone know what's up with the fourth one?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Probably Pale Rider, the new Guild Rider from the same book as Leviticus' avatar.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That'll learn me to spend more than a minute leafing through the book.

Wish they had a better index in those things.

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good

Fix posted:

That'll learn me to spend more than a minute leafing through the book.

Wish they had a better index in those things.

Indexing has been the real weakness in Malifaux's layout so far, and I hope they really get their act together in future editions.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Played and won my first game of Malifaux tonight.

Good god a Hamelin gang has an army of text to wade through. I won by making getting an early insignificant on his sword Victoria. Then the other one brought Hamelin down to 2 health, and was made insignificant as the first action of the next turn.

The game was fun, and the mechanics were interesting. Those fukken rats! So many important abilities must be used in the right order to really make the force work.

I had a great time. YOU SHOULD TRY THIS GAME IF YOU ARE ON THE FENCE!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
After doing some quick research, I decided against going for pandora since I don't have anything else I could sync well with her, and focusing on just one type of save isn't good for a new player to learn the game. Instead, I'm going for Hoffman who seems like a good and fun one to start off with. Currently I have:

Hoffman
mobile toolkit
Peacekeeper

for my crew. I was thinking of adding a guardian for protection on Hoffman and the toolkit. Would Ryle be a good addition if I'm using the Peacekeeper for Hoffman's ride? His long range firepower (and good melee) would balance out my mostly melee crew. I still don't have my rule books yet (and probably won't till the end of the month...) so I'm pretty rough on the specifics. I was reading that Sonnia pairs well with Hoffman, but can you always bring 2 masters? Any suggestions on what to add in?

edit: And from the sketches, his avatar looks pretty interesting. Can see people snagging him for 40k techno-daemons if he's the right size. http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Avatar+Hoffman

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 6, 2012

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Guardians are very good additions for Hoffman, steal that armor! Also if you want to play a game sometime, let me know

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Wazzu posted:

He ordered it during Gencon, along with alt Zoraida etc.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
So I just got my Ramos Avatar today and they gave me a misspack. Instead of the single Arachnid swarm they gave me 2 :haw:. Now all I have to do is clean and put together him and the Large Steampunk Arachnid :suicide:.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I was thinking of getting some base huggers for status effects. Aside from slow and paralyzed, what else should i be getting?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

MisterShine posted:

I was thinking of getting some base huggers for status effects. Aside from slow and paralyzed, what else should i be getting?

Burning and Blight.

On a related note, are there any better corpse and scrap counters than just slapping zombie bits for corpose counters and some random tech bits for scrap counters onto lip bases?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

In a two-part response, I have these:

So I don't need burning/blight huggers, and those are some drat fine counters for corpse, scrap, etc.

I was thinking of making some generic [+] and [-] huggers just to remind me that SOMETHING is affecting the flip

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Those are good tokens. Everyone buy your tokens from Southpaw Art and design. Ravyn is good people.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Just relearned the game last night (ie. played dreamer for the first time). Confusing as hell, but a lot of fun. Mistakes were made, perdita was crushed under the weight of 4 enemies, coppelius was a terrifying monster and I learned a tiny bit about what can be done with these guys.

Am I right to think that having the whole crew on the board at any given time is silly? And that the dreamer and the daydreams should never try and deal damage, and just make the crew maneuverable?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Wazzu posted:

Just relearned the game last night (ie. played dreamer for the first time). Confusing as hell, but a lot of fun. Mistakes were made, perdita was crushed under the weight of 4 enemies, coppelius was a terrifying monster and I learned a tiny bit about what can be done with these guys.

Am I right to think that having the whole crew on the board at any given time is silly? And that the dreamer and the daydreams should never try and deal damage, and just make the crew maneuverable?

Yes, the dreamer should never do damage unless he is trying to change into his avatar.

Just remember Dreamer's alpha strike (under LCB delivery on this page, which is a very good resource http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/The+Dreamer) and anything on the board within 13" to 30" away is under direct threat of your buried army/LCB.

Guild Austringer poking away with it's 18" range? Pop over Lord Chompy bits to give him a lovely how-de-doo and make your back back to where dreamer started.

One mention to keep in mind; while your nightmares (or anything) is buried all effects they are under do not end at the end of the turn and remain frozen. What this means is that Dreamer can buff something with flurry, nightmares can put themselves into defense stance, and the stitched's can put out their creepy fogs and, as long as they are buried before the end of turn, they will still have all those effects next turn.

It works and pisses the living hell out of people not familiar with the details.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 10, 2012

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, it pisses off people familiar with the details. Especially when I try to pull the same shenanigans with Hoffman's Assimilate and the Soulstone Miner's Tunneling. "Why do you say Hoffman has Tunneling, Armor +2, Slow to Die, and Terrifying 12? That's broken!" says the guy who buffs all his Nightmares/Teddies and then burries them to keep them buffed every turn.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I feel like if effects carry over like that because youre buried and "out of play" effects like "i get my activation back because its a new turn" should also not happen if youre buried

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterShine posted:

I feel like if effects carry over like that because youre buried and "out of play" effects like "i get my activation back because its a new turn" should also not happen if youre buried

If it didn't work like that, nightmares would just dip out of game to lose paralyse, poison, and slow.

Binbag
May 10, 2007
Well, it's Mrs Binbags birthday today, and the painted Lilith crew went down well. I'll get some pictures next time we get some gaming in.

So now I can move onto getting my Christmas loot painted. Got a McMourning and a Nicodem box, all the zombie dogs in the world and some Belles and totems. I'm planning my next buy already, and am thinking of a bit hitter. My usual opponents are Pandora, Von Schill and loving Leveticus, and Lilith too now I suppose.

I know I want some crooked men, and probably some crooligans for their creepy victorian vibe but I am getting a bit stuck with a beatstick option.

Bette Noir seems like a nice compliment to Nicodem. All that paralysis :3: and seems like she could be a proper bastard against Levi.

Killjoy looks like a bigger, fatter, chompier option than Bete. Less options to get him into play, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I hate the model for the rogue necromancy, but it's summonable. So are flesh golems, but they're a bit less fighty and running too many is going to be a serious drain.

Any ideas gentlemen ?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Always remember that if you're holding a 10 or higher in your hand, Bette is going to keep not dying, so she can actually stick around longer than Killjoy. Its one of my personal favourite heavy hitter for ressers.

Although the rogue necromancy is going to ignore Shill's anti-undead bonuses, I think Bette's high def and double neg twist on ranged attacks against her is going to work out better.

Have you considered Dead Rider? Run out, then drag back a model for everyone else to beat on.

Binbag
May 10, 2007
I had thought about the Rider, but not too seriously as my buddy who plays Levi runs it quite often. I am mostly a fluffy player so I'd prefer not to duplicate anything across crews that is so individual.

I was leaning toward Bete, I think she'll come in handy against most crews. Plus with a cheeky Bolster from Nico she should be ok going toe to toe with most stuff. The double neg on ranged attacks had slipped my mind. Cheers for that, I think my mind is made up.

My son picked up the Viktorias today, taking his Freikorps to a very worrying 35 stones. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that changes the Von Schill box, though I am imagining that to being a very short and painful lesson.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
If I want to buy a dead tree version of the rules, which should I get?

Binbag
May 10, 2007
If it's just the rules you're after, then the little rules manual is sound value for money. It has all the rules, non of the stats and no fluff, so it's a little dry but has everything you need to play.

I think the only big fat rule book I would buy at this point is Twisting Fates. All the juicy avatar rules are nice to have an idea about as they can radically change the nature of masters you might be used to playing against.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Binbag posted:

If it's just the rules you're after, then the little rules manual is sound value for money. It has all the rules, non of the stats and no fluff, so it's a little dry but has everything you need to play.

I think the only big fat rule book I would buy at this point is Twisting Fates. All the juicy avatar rules are nice to have an idea about as they can radically change the nature of masters you might be used to playing against.

So Twisting Fates has all of the rules, then? Its not just an expansion that requires the previous rulebooks to use?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

No, the only rules Twisting Fates has is the Avatar rules. Though the new rulesbook is about 15$ or so, and has everything except unit stats. Plus it's in a more portable size.

Though if you're interested in the fluff of the series, by all means pick up the three main books. The story's not that bad, for the most part.

vvvvv
Well, to get the stats for each model without having to buy them is another good reason for the main books.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 18, 2012

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
The cheapest and easiest way to get every single rule that is out for Malifaux is to buy both the small rule book (all the rules from the first book and Rising Powers in one small book) and Twisting Fates. The first and second big rule books at this point are only good if you want to read the fluff.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Backno posted:

The cheapest and easiest way to get every single rule that is out for Malifaux is to buy both the small rule book (all the rules from the first book and Rising Powers in one small book) and Twisting Fates. The first and second big rule books at this point are only good if you want to read the fluff.

And if you're looking at unit stats, but yeah. The fluff is the main reason to buy the original books, and I'd just like to say that the fluff is absolutely amazing and worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Crossposting from the painting thread:

So I painted my first mini in over a year. I am doing a speech for school on how to paint Ork skin and needed to make sure I could still do this.

Click for Huge

Total time on him was about 5.5 hours. Was nice to see I can still do this somewhat.