Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Had 3 wins tonight with Dreamer, all of them to concessions sadly

25pt crews for the upcoming tournament near NOVA, so the first crew was Lillith, a poo poo ton of terror tots, and a convict gunslinger.

Did the Chompy Shuffle and took out my protege target, the Gunslinger from one really cheated claws attack. Went and did a weak claws attack on a nearby tot and went back to deployment.

Lilith came up in front of me 3rd turn. Dreamer did his 0 spell, Inflict Dreams, cheated the hell out of it and came to a total of something like 32. Nevertheless, it went through. On my next activation, a nearby Stitched did the Gambler 0 action to draw more cards (really easy when Lilith is neg flip on WP) and then won Gamble Your Life flipping a Red Joker for 7 + another medium flip of 4. She prevented 1 of that point and he conceded.

Next fight was someone else who blustered around with Rasputina, playing conservatively. I haven't played him with Dreamer since I first got the box so I knew a bunch of tricks which he did not realize could be done. Chompy ain't like waiters. Dreamer cast Inflict Dreams again when he got close enough to Rasputina and Dreamer dropped Chompy within 3 of Rasputina for two claws attacks. First claw triggered onslaught which lead to another attack, and the last AP claw attacked triggered "All Done" which put Dreamer back which let Chompy return to start to turn back into Dreamer.

Second Rasputina fight, he played more aggressively going right up the middle making sure things had Armor. Before he got close, I charged in with the shuffle taking out a Silent One with one really good hit then pulled back. He got on the deck of the ship in the center of the board, much farther than I expected, and nuked a daydream then the dreamer. This brought back LCB along with the 3 Stitched's. One died, but he "Does Not Die" is really badass when you get a reactivation full of more Gamble Your Life's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
March releases are out:

WYR1041 - Alternate Perdita - $10.50
WYR1042 - Avatar Perdita - $45.00
WYR5062 - Avatar Viktorias - $28.00
WYR5069 - Alternate Viktorias - $20.00
WYR1049 - Latigo Pistoleros - $18.00
WYR2054 - Dead Doxies - $16.50
WYR3052 - Swamp Mother - $35.00
WYR3053 - Gupps - $18.00
WYR0038 - Driftwood Docks 30mm - $13.50
WYR0039 - Driftwood Docks 40mm - $13.50
WYR0040 - Driftwood Docks 50mm - $10.50
WYR0041 - Driftwood Docks Accessories - $13.50

While there is nothing this month I plan to buy, I must say it looks pretty drat good.

Binbag
May 10, 2007
Those Pistoleros are saying things to me.

Terrible things that remind me that I originally went to the shop for an Ortegas box. It's not my fault I got seduced by Colette is it ? I mean, it's only right that I pick up a full Perdita crew isn't it ? It's destiny, right ?

I mean, if you think about it, I owe it to myself really.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Binbag posted:

Those Pistoleros are saying things to me.

Terrible things that remind me that I originally went to the shop for an Ortegas box. It's not my fault I got seduced by Colette is it ? I mean, it's only right that I pick up a full Perdita crew isn't it ? It's destiny, right ?

I mean, if you think about it, I owe it to myself really.

I bought both my Collette and Perdita box at the same time...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

*Checks Alt. Viktorias*

Holy crap she put on pants! Now I can actually pick them up and NOT have to substitute "Chainmail bikini Viktoria" for Ashlynn D'Elyse (Warmachine). Seriously, the chainmail bikini always looked very out of place in the setting.

Now just have to wait for income tax return so I can put in a bulk order and pick up everything Guild related.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo
So me and some people at our flgs made a malifaux website. Running it at http://soulstonesociety.com .

It has not been updated in the past week because we are getting painting in the pied piper tournament near here.

I am going to write an article about my dreamer going against Nicodem where Chompy was capturing objectives and successfully stole a relic from Nico with his subpar willpower.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Played my first proper, full game of this yesterday with a friend. The two of us have been getting our crews together over the past several months, and I've got a pretty nearly complete Kirai crew. My friend has a pretty nearly complete Showgirls crew. Ended up not using our full resources though, because a) I had to take a 2 hour drive to get to this friend's place, and b) a third friend was supposed to be joining us who only has starter boxes for Viks and Ortegas, so all I packed were the contents of Kirai's starter box.

Turned out the third player didn't have the time due to work related stuff to come join us for a full game, though, so it ended up being me running the Kirai box set versus a crew of Collette (and her doves, thanks hat trick), Cassandra, Angelica, and Misaki--apparently chosen in case he needed to go toe to toe with one of Kirai's spirits in melee.

My Strategy was Destroy the Evidence, which I accomplished easily, and my Schemes were Frame for Murder, announced--which didn't happen--and Bodyguard, unannounced. My opponent's Strategy was Escape and Survive, and he took Perfect Performance and Power Ritual for his Schemes.

He basically summoned multiple Mechanical Doves and had them running interference on my crew while I was single-mindedly advancing to destroy the evidence. Misaki got hacked at by the Datsue-ba, but Collette ducked her out of the fight with a Vanishing Act and dropped her off as a special delivery directly in front of Kirai next turn, where she promptly failed the WP duel and got finished off by Kirai's garden shears. (That turn was pure amazing amounts of lucky flips on my part, admittedly, since Kirai had 2 wounds left on the start of it, pulled the red joker on a healing flip, and just generally got good results otherwise on every flip she did that activation.) Meanwhile, Cassandra was darting around the edges of the board completing the Power Ritual and Collette was ditching cards for soulstones.

Since I'd announced Frame for Murder, and since his Strategy was Escape and Survive, he had everything to lose and nothing to gain by engaging in direct confrontation with my crew, especially once Misaki had been removed from the field. He had mobility, but even after a couple of turns where I showed off just how much Kirai's crew can reposition itself he underestimated how well I could keep up with him. At the end of turn 5, he had six soulstones and the other 3 members of his crew were intact, and he'd long since finished the Power Ritual in all four corners. Collette's ability to generate soulstones meant that unless I managed to kill at least two of his crew, he'd win--since I only got 1 VP from unannounced Bodyguard and Frame for Murder was simply not going to happen.

Turn six saw me managing to blast both Collette and Cassandra down to nearly dead, but it didn't quite get me there. I out-activated him, so it came down to me to flip to see whether we'd be getting turn seven...and it came up the Red Joker.

Then he won the initiative, and I blew my entire control hand keeping the Ikiryo from getting murdered to Cassandra's last desperate flurry of attacks. (He couldn't just disengage her because I'd swatted her with Denial of Sanzu from the Datsueba before using Swirling Spirits to swap the Ikiryo in for the kill.) In turn, he desperately spent soulstones trying to keep Cassandra alive, and dropped below his critical threshold of seven, which wouldn't have been bad if Cassandra had lived, but I managed to take her off the board with some lucky flips, and he no longer had enough VP to win, so he conceded the game.

The one thing that really surprised me was just how resilient Kirai and her crew were. Kirai was, as I said, down six wounds at one point, and the Datsue-ba ended up nearly as bad at least once. Each of my Onryo and my Ikiryo were killed at least once, the Onryo probably twice each by Mechanical Doves using Magician's Duel or Misaki. I ended the game with the Ikiryo a bit beat up but with two Onryo and a Datsue-ba at full health, and Kirai herself only slightly below full.

Can't wait to get to play again.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
April releases have been revealed! I have a burning need for those Nicodems.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Daaaaamn tuco

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

May Releases from TheWarStore:

Pale Rider
Alt McMourning
Similacrum 29
Union Miner x3
Arcane Effigy
Mysterious Effigy
Hodgepodge Effigy
Avattar Leviticus
Iggy

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Now why are you assholes stealing my thunder :colbert:

I am looking forward to the Union Miners and maybe the Alt. Lilith.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Sweet, iggy incoming!

Really can't work out what the hell I want to do with my leviticus crew, I might just start applying green stuff and hope for the best soon :(

Binbag
May 10, 2007
Iggy looks so much nicer than I imagined. With the way the new sculpts for things like Avatar Nico and Bete Noir are so close to the art, I cannot wait to get my filthy paws on a Similacrum 29.

I am starting to think that the minimum effort board I am putting together for a minimum effort battle report is going to look really poo poo. Still, hope to be able to post some hot girl on girl action early next week once I have pressganged my useless kids into building daddies toy town, and finally finished off Colette's painting, and wept as the Missus Lilith crew has bullied me to death.

I've been struggling what to do with my Rezzers, so I signed up for the Iron Painter contest on the Wyrd Forums. I expect to go out in the first round, but am hoping that the "mystery ingredient" theme will encourage me to do an interesting job on them.

I'll post the results...

adding_up_numbers
Feb 23, 2009
Getting back into Malifaux with the Lilith Brood set, I decided to go all out with my basing.

Here's where I'm at:

So I decided to use those wedding cake columns. You can get them really cheap at bulk food stores. I picked up a pack of four 5" columns for $4.99. Since taking these photos I've added a bit more gravel to the tops of the columns so my crew aren't standing in perfect dirt circles. I'm debating adding some moss too.

What do you guys think?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

adding_up_numbers posted:

What do you guys think?

I think these are amazing. They look even better in person.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So I got a Viktorias box a while ago, and now one of my friends is all gung-ho into starting Malifaux and playing with me, so I need some advice as to what to get to expand it into a proper crew. I've read through the rules once or twice but haven't played yet or anything, I just want to know what I should be grabbing.

Also, how do the Avatars work?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devlan Mud posted:

So I got a Viktorias box a while ago, and now one of my friends is all gung-ho into starting Malifaux and playing with me, so I need some advice as to what to get to expand it into a proper crew. I've read through the rules once or twice but haven't played yet or anything, I just want to know what I should be grabbing.

Also, how do the Avatars work?

First get the smaller concise Rulebook. No fluff at all but has all the updated rules.

For viks I would start with some Ronins since they can replace one of the Viktorias in case of premature death.

A good addon and, possibly, another henchman to explore is Von Schill who can easily make up for the lack of range. Including the friekorp librarian is a very potent inclusion since you can bump up a Vik with 3 healing flips.

Avatars are powered up versions of their normal form; sometimes making them do better at their job (sonnia) or radically change how they work (dreamer). There is a manifest clock going on that will check if you have met any requirements specific to the master. There are two with one being easy and the other tougher to pull off. Depending on the turn number and how many requirements you've met it can be impossible to manifest to automatically manifesting even if you don't want to.

You have to pay 2ss to buy the avatar form

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

So I'm about to start painting Collette, with a full set of all the available showgirls models.

Honestly, I'm intimidated.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Eyespy posted:

So I'm about to start painting Collette, with a full set of all the available showgirls models.

Honestly, I'm intimidated.

I really enjoyed painting Collette & crew. I'm usually painting Warmachine armies with uniform color schemes, so being able to make each one unique and colorful was a blast.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Don't worry Eyespy, we know all the pictures of showgirls on your desktop are just for "research"

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

MisterShine posted:

Don't worry Eyespy, we know all the pictures of showgirls on your desktop are just for "research"

That is what I told my wife when she found the 6 GB folder on the hidden part of my hard drive...

When the new oath thread starts up I look forward to painting all my Arcanists.

Backno fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 3, 2012

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Backno posted:

That is what I told my wife when she found the 6 GB folder on the hidden part of my hard drive...

When the new oath thread starts up I look forward to painting all my Arcanists.

You better! I haven't gotten to try a game of this yet, but I really enjoy how the gameplay works and the massive depth of the fluff. There's some awesome models in Wyrd's lineup I'm hoping to see painted next season. Those who haven't heard, I'm opening the Oath contest to all model lines when it starts again in April! And what's this banner here? Now why might I have that...

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So I got a quick game of this in with my friend, my unpainted, unbased, unassembled Vik box vs his finished and nice Sonnia box. Turns out my plan of running forward and punching things to death was a pretty good one. This game is amazing, putting Warmachine on hold while I get that crew built up really nice.

How does Leviticus fare? I see pretty much everything he does takes life away from him, which seems tricky. But I think I might expand towards his stuff before I get a different faction (which will be Neverborn with the Dreamer probably).

And just to reiterate, this game is goddamn amazing. Way more fun than any other tabletop game I've played to date.

Edit: It also was hilarious when I got to the store and found out the cards opened up.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devlan Mud posted:

So I got a quick game of this in with my friend, my unpainted, unbased, unassembled Vik box vs his finished and nice Sonnia box. Turns out my plan of running forward and punching things to death was a pretty good one. This game is amazing, putting Warmachine on hold while I get that crew built up really nice.

How does Leviticus fare? I see pretty much everything he does takes life away from him, which seems tricky. But I think I might expand towards his stuff before I get a different faction (which will be Neverborn with the Dreamer probably).

And just to reiterate, this game is goddamn amazing. Way more fun than any other tabletop game I've played to date.

Edit: It also was hilarious when I got to the store and found out the cards opened up.

Leviticus is amazing. Take a canine remains and make another Waif and you'll be even harder to remove from the game.

Keep one Waif tucked away and the other up ahead.

Try using his melee attack with it's amazing severe damage of 12. Use death lessons to set up for the attack, then use the Face of Death trigger to give him a positive twist for every card you discard. If you can cheat in normal severe it's usually an instagib. With a redjoker into another severe, it's a red mist.

Just make sure to set him up hanging on 1 life at the end so he'll off himself at the end of the turn so he'll do the whole resurrection thing

Also as an additional note, the way Strategies and Schemes work might mean that there is a chance there might be no reason to fight at all which can confound strategies like Slaughter.

Also some schemes like Kill Protege or Grudge, if you announce them to me and I don't really need the model I can just kill it myself and deny you the points.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 24, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Just putting this out there to see if there was any interest: Our local club is having a big Malifaux event. Seats are sold out, but as part of the Walpurgis event, our locals have made up some custom decks and are selling them. There are fate decks and scheme decks. If you're interested, you could get your hands on something like:

Fate Deck:

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Well poo poo, I want one. How much are they asking? What is the card stock quality like? Hell, if the price is reasonable and there's enough, I'd possibly want more than just one. Edit: Specifically the Fate decks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ditto for me. Just show me where to sign in blood please. Those look fantastic.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Fix posted:

Just putting this out there to see if there was any interest:

Holy shitsnacks! Yes!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I want! Assuming it's not too unreasonable price wise.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Price is set at $10 per deck, plus shipping, proceeds going to our awesome gaming club. I'll get the info on the cardstock (the description I've heard so far is "beefy and plastic-coated, but lacking the 'snap-back' of the official cards" (whatever that means), but the guys who are making this don't mess around with bad swag, so it's bound to be high quality. I will probably facilitate shipping to goons, but I'm waiting to hear back from the tourney organizer as to how he wants to go about that.

The other deck, the Scheme deck:

Described as such:

quote:

Basically, it's a deck of 54 cards. There is a card for each of the schemes (color coded for the master and faction specific ones), with the text of the scheme and a common back. That way, you can put unannounced schemes face down in front of you, and announced schemes face up. I reckon it'd be handy to have them infront of you rather than writing them down or what-not. There are also double-sided cards for each of the strategies, with the text of the regular strategy on one side, and the shared strategy on the other.

The other swag people are getting for this event are MDF Gallows (available through Advanced Deployment after April:

And a custom mini (available after Walpurgis by Black Cat bases), the Plague Doctor:

Not to mention all the players get a set of Mantic Zombies, some sweet markers, and get to play on awesome boards like this:

And this:

It's gonna be a blast!

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Yeah, I'd pony up cash for those cards. Let us know when they're available.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Do ship internationally (Europe) and how much would it be? I'm interested in both decks and could probably order a few for friends if you need a certain amount of decks to make it worthwhile.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Arlaharen posted:

Do ship internationally (Europe) and how much would it be? I'm interested in both decks and could probably order a few for friends if you need a certain amount of decks to make it worthwhile.

It looks like he already made a post and it's on the Malifaux forums.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?30176-Custom-Fate-Decks-for-sale

and yes, it looks like they are shipping internationally for $17.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Awesome, replied in the other thread. Gonna get me some custom fate decks.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, if you guys want to go through that other thread, that's the more direct route. He's the guy organizing it all. I'm just spreading the word a little.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
I would buy some of those decks in a heartbeat.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

EVIR Gibson posted:

It looks like he already made a post and it's on the Malifaux forums.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?30176-Custom-Fate-Decks-for-sale

and yes, it looks like they are shipping internationally for $17.

Hey guys, he's placing the deck order tomorrow, so if you want in on this get in on this pronto.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
All of the pictures of the minis are on sculpted bases - do the minis come with such or is that just extra stuff for the box art?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Dominion posted:

All of the pictures of the minis are on sculpted bases - do the minis come with such or is that just extra stuff for the box art?

They sell the sculpted base inserts separately. All minis you get come with little black 30mm, 40mm, or 50mm bases. The bases are completely plain, and it's recommended that you do something to spruce them up (and required by tournament rules). Wyrd sells base inserts, which are the fancy sculpted bits that appear in every image of the minis that they show off. A couple of minis come with their own base inserts, such a Nekima, who needs a pewter base insert to prevent her from being too top-heavy, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binbag
May 10, 2007
Had my first game in a long while today, my Colette against my mate's Leveticus crew.

Nothing too interesting to report. I got bummed.

Corner deployment. My performer rattled off a quick power ritual and the ladies went off to do their thing.

Jammed a Coryphee and a mannequin into Levi at the top of turn two, which diverted him long enough for the other Coryphee and Cassandra to complete two more corners. Was hoping that they might survive into the next turn so the Coryphee could deliver the message. She drew a lot of hate, and eventually went down. But this did take his entire crew as I threw Soul Stones at it like they were going out of fashion.

Cassandra was well onto her way to the last corner, but it was still a bit jammed up with stuff. She got to the sabotage target and achieved that objective, but I failed to spot a Waif milling about in a pack of Steam Punk Abominations. Levi resurrected in a very good spot and blasted her down with his horrific spell list, bagging him an easy Kill Protege.

The Dead Rider wasn't tremendously effective, running around killing doves. Truth to tell, I was setting up for a series of soulstone detonations on his grouped up Steam Punk Aboms. So I guess it was still being an rear end in a top hat. Dead Rider wound up in front of Colette, who cast disappearing act and burnt a soulstone hoping for the mannequin replacement. It didn't come off, but I could dump the rider out of harms way.

Except, through the gap left by the now vanished rider came a pack of four Steam Punk Aboms, who merged into a Desolation engine which delivered the message (Shared strategy.)

With me rocking 3 vp, and him having achieved both his schemes and the strategy, we called it and conducted the customary autopsy.

This was the first time these two crews had squared off, and it was quite an interesting game. He was completely caught off guard by the speed of the Showgirls, and found them surprisingly resilient for low wound models. Also the ability for everybody to use Soul Stones, and the number you can get through was something that he found to be a stumbling block.

Me, I found Levi to be a proper horrible bastard. I knew he was going to be tricky, but I didn't anticipate him being quite so quick and quite so good at everything. Rusty Alice also, a pain in the arse to a construct heavy crew. Dead rider I wasn't hugely impressed with, but Aboms and the Desolation Engine....gently caress me.

Quality game though, and a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.