Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
So my friends and I tried this game back when it first came out and while we liked it the first ed rules were pretty bad at times even after the massive errata. How has 2nd Ed faired for those who made the transition, has it fixed most of the issues that plagued first ed? If I wanted to pick it up again what would I need?

I played Neverborn and dabbled in Anarchists (is Pandora and Dreamer still op BS?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I'm still in lockdown and looking to engage in my favourite hobby, buying things. I dabbled in Malifaux when it first came out but the scene died off when other games took over. Despite having a bunch of GW stuff I suspect I am going to get frustrated by game imbalances when I finally can play and will mainly just collect their stuff to model and play the odd game for fun. Actually I am amazed that GW still can't get things like apps right when Wyrd/Corvus have had great working digital stuff for years. Most of the small scale TTG's look more appealing to me at the moment, so I will probably end up with MCP, Infinity and Malifaux collections if the games are good. So is the current edition fairly balanced and fun to play?

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I'm in Aus. You are most likely right about players but I haven't been looking though since everybody is currently locked inside.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I like the aesthetics of the Neverborn and Ten Thunders. Is Pandora (thinking early 1st/2nd ed here) still the most unfun master to play against? I am thinking of buying and painting up a set for my partner because she will like and possibly play this game. If nothing else she will dig the way all the minis look and want to paint and make terrain for them.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

what do people think are some of easier masters to learn from Ten Thunders and Neverborn? Trying to make learning the new rules and teaching a new player easier on myself.

The other question I had was if the faction books were worth the purchase. Let's pretend I had zero lore interest. The lore is cool though so I'm down for some reading.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 21, 2021

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably see if I can get lore books second hand and buy 2 crews. I might check out the alternative stats from this new book release before making my purchases. I like the hidden information element from infinity so being able to choose an alternative ability set at the start of the game seems fun.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I am wondering if anyone has made or has seen a good quality cheat sheet for the game. Something with a brief step by step from set up to the end of the game. I can see in the core rule book there is one for timings etc during gameplay. I figure somebody in the community has made a better one. Speaking of the online rulebook do we know if it is updated with errata, or will I need that to be downloaded too? I was thinking of using Henchmen Hardcore as a way to relearn and teach the game. Or is there an equivalent slow build style of play where each player slowly adds models and complexity into each new round of play.

I really need to stop looking at the models from other factions. Like infinity, it is way too easy to buy into an entirely new master given the relatively small price of entry. Already I am tempted by the explorers society.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ancient post, but could I use your images in an article on Malifaux I'm writing for Goonhammer?

I'm glad to hear more people are taking about this game. It really needs more positive press. Has anyone found a good TTS (Tabletop Simulator) mod for Malifaux? MCP (Marvel Crisis Protocol) despite how new it is, has easily the best TTS mod I have seen. The only other one that's even close is Infinity. It is still difficult to get in person games of anything locally and TTS is a great gate way to get people playing. I have a few friends who I am trying to bring back to ME3 with me and I figured playing some trial games on TTS might do the trick.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I had a question about the new start collecting boxes. I am not familiar enough with all of the different box sets to know this, but are the miniatures inside them exclusive to those boxes or are they available in other sets? It looks like they are only available in those boxes at the moment.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I think what you did with the grave golem was a smart choice the model is not pretty even when painted well.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

the lack of clear assembly instructions is kind of ridiculous given they have guides but they really don't do the job. Despite having solid game rules and cool lore Wryd manage to make lots of choices that make it really unfriendly for new players to pick up the game.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I'm' pretty experienced at putting together models but I routinely struggle with Wryd's stuff. It isn't always, but often enough I notice it. Now pretend you are brand new to modelling or fairly inexperienced and it becomes altogether more difficult. MCP has made great strides towards being clearer but they still have the odd challenging part. Infinity still has none and metal can make details difficult to decipher, but they generally are fairly clear fits. GW remains king of the hill clear pictures, step by step instructions and clear labelling. That and their gallery of 3d rotating models means you can check if you are still unclear. It is frustrating because I do not really enjoy playing their games but I do like painting their models.

In other news I watched a video on Dave's mini menagerie and he outlined some news I hadn't seen already. Two new key words returned and angler, some new model concept art and a new models card for the Bayou. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zswLEg6k9fU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Not sure when I'll get round to the rest of her faction starter box, they look a bit more... I'm going to say "elaborate and detailed" rather than "fiddly to paint", but I will get to them eventually.

I had the same experience they have some great looking models but geeze they don't think about the practical side of things. Having assembled titania and her crew the autumn knights weren't bad but the one with the vine whips... You can very easily make her unable to stand. The whips extend well below her feet 😑.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

Those models look great! This could be my own confirmation bias but I have just been putting together some Explorer Society kits I picked up and the models both look more detailed and have more sensible assembly. It makes sense given they are newer but I am wondering if it is just my perception.