Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Brock Samsonite posted:

You and me both. I have a storage drawer and a tote bag JUST for Malifaux poo poo.

You think you have a problem? I have (and I've just counted) 20 different masters painted (with at least their starter box also done), and another 7 waiting to be painted. I've never played the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

well, you know, it's a good time for painting, not so good for playing games

They're nice models to paint too. Sometimes an absolute bastard to put together, but really nice models.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flipswitch posted:

Post the painted models my dude. Love seeing painted stuff. I'll be taking pics of my table when my mat arrives :)

I've posted some of them in the painting thread, as and when they were done, but if you want to see them... I'm not going to do an image dump of 20 crews in a post, especially as I havent got around to photographing most of my resurrectionists yet (plus I have some guys sitting waiting to be painted to add to various crews), I'll post some now and some later. Please note that I paint for relaxation and am pleased when I hit "passable tabletop" standard!

My guild stuff:
The Family

Journalists

Augmented (have a Joss to paint, but hes so far down the pile...)

Witchhunters

The Pale Rider

My Bayou Stuff:
Kin

Whizz-Bang (Same Sammy LaCroix as previous photo)

Swamp Fiend

Big Hat (have some banjonistas coming off ebay soon to make them a little more varied)

Infamous

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

nice! those insect things in the last picture look like they must've been a nightmare to assemble

The Iron Skeeters, and I can tell you they were an entire MOTHERFUCKER to assemble. The instructions have lines just disappearing behind the model which is unhelpful, and because they want them to be language neutral there arent any notes, or, and I feel this is crucial, no numbers. So it is entirely unclear for example that on two of the iron skeeters you are absolutely fine to put the rider on before the legs (the legs being the most fragile bit, this makes sense, handle the legs as little as possible). However on the third iron skeeter if you put the rider on first, like you did with the other two, he prevents the legs sitting properly. The legs MUST be done first, then the rider. Or, you end up frantically trying to pry the rider off before the glue sets entirely after a fruitless five minutes trying to work out why the legs dont sit quite flush with the body.

Also one of them has a replacement grappling hook made out of the underneath cables of the Augmented cat robots because at some point between building and undercoating it must have fallen off its tiny 1mm square attachment point. I actually found the original a couple of weeks ago inside my computer keyboard, I'm not even kidding.

Sorry, just thinking about building them has made my eye start twitching again. I love Malifaux figures to paint, but this is why my prefered way of getting them now is to buy them secondhand off ebay so someone else has already built them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah the lack of a numbered instruction system fucks me right off.

How was Nellie's totem to build? The journalist caught my attention before.

Great work on the painting, both.

Thanks!

Nellies totem actually wasnt as bad as I was expecting! The legs are all seperate, but they sort of only fit together one way, and the bases of them are chunky enough that they all connect to the ones next to them. I accidentally amputated one leg from its connection (what I thought was sprue turned out to be the bit that connects the leg to the body) and it still wasnt a particular problem.

The two minor complaints I have against it are: There are very thin pieces on the ends of each leg, which... About half the printing press' on google images have just trimmed off, and I totally understand why, they're fragile and I'm not sure it doesnt look better (and less dainty) without them, and related to this, it doesnt fit on its drat base. Or more precisely it doesnt fit on the recess of its base, its balanced on the rim (and in my case the thin pieces at the tips of the legs are actually mainly glued on the sides of the resin base topper rather than the top). Its a personal pet peeve of mine, I like to have the figures standing in the base like its a tiny diorama, not on the rim, I understand it is not a rational complaint.

Two of the crossroads seven (Pride and Envy, the giant pipe organ and the cowboy hatted guitarist) do the same thing and it just mildly irritates me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cassa posted:

I recently built the zipp box too! The skeeters were absolute garbage, but the thing that actually annoyed me the most was Zipp being on the tiny base, and First Mate being on the big one. Who decided that?

That is weird, especially as he isnt any bigger than a standard Silurid, which are on 30mm bases. At least he fits on the base though, Merris LaCroix has a similar thing to zip, shes got a rocket on her back and shes attached to the base by the smoke from it, but the base of the smoke is wider than the diameter of the 30mm base indent, so it has to be glued to the rim, leaving a gap at the front underneath the smoke. Its not the end of the world, I'll fill it with the texture paste I use for bayou ground, and put some kind of flock or grass down, but it still bugs me.

Oh, and the other thing I forgot to mention about the skeeters that bugged the hell out of me: They come with a fairly nice curved flying base support, which I like. Much better than the clear peg and base GW flying bases I remember from the late 90s when I was first into miniatures. Thats good. But there is no contact point on any of the skeeters for it. It has a flat top to make a good connection, but they dont have a matching flat bit on their undersides anywhere, you just have to do your best to glue the rounded model to the flat support, or file a bit flat.

Electric Hobo posted:

I was really confused when I assembled the Brass Arachnid, and saw that it's supposed to go on a 30mm base. The base fits, with room to spare, right under it, without touching any of it's legs. That's going to be annoying if I ever get to paint and base it.

I've posted my stuff in the painting thread, but I'll slap it in here later.

Oh wow, I've just googled... That is the worst case of this I've seen. Second image hit on google for me was someone who's glued a massive section of floor (about twice the length of the base in total) on top of a base for it to stand on, everyone else has it rearing up with the only connection to the base being the tips of its back legs. I imagine thats fine for display but I'd worry every time you picked it up to move it in a game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I do think your flames always look fantastic, and the fact you do them by hand is impressive as hell. I'm curious about what you've written on Prides base here though!

Yesterday I posted my 9 Guild and Bayou crews, I have more Bayou than any other faction I think (in that if I get the Brewmaster I'll actually own all the Bayou masters...). Today its my Arcanists and Neverborn. I've got another couple of arcanists on the pile of shame waiting to be painted, but to be honest none of the other neverborn factions appeal to me terribly much. Not saying I'll never get them, because if they are cheap enough on ebay I have terrible impulse control, but I'm not going out my way for them. Maybe Marcus....

Arcanists

December

Performer

Neverborn

Nephilim

Woe

Nightmare

Between all these models I count 3 who are standing on their base rim as an aside. Mildly irritates me every time.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

"DON'T kill the audience!"
I'm basing them as if they're performing on a stage, so each bandmember gets a helpful message from the show's boss. Wrath will get something like "Don't listen to them", Sloth "No napping!", Lust "No make out sessions!", and so on.

Nice!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Last post of my painted guys! Previously posted my Bayou, Guild, Arcanists, Crossroads Seven and Neverborn. I dont have any painted ten thunders crews (yet) and I dont own any explorers at all. Outside of the crews I have a few other odds and sods painted, the hodgepodge effigy (which if I'm interpreting the card right is essentially "a totem for if you are using a henchman instead of a master", right?), the 2e starter stuff (Doctor Grimwell and his nurse and orderlies, and the Neverborn Maurice, Angel Eyes and Bloodwretches) and a couple of other assorted things that were part of a bigger lot but I dont have their keyword master.

Outcasts
Von Schill Freikorps crew

Leviticus Crew

Viktorias Mercenary Crew

Resurrectionists
Seamus Redchapel Crew

Kirai Urami Crew

Molly Forgotten Crew

Nicodem (The same punk zombies/rabble risers as in the Molly picture)

Dead Rider

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Yeah, the Effigy is free if you have a henchman leader. Give it the Effigy of Fate upgrade to make it turn into the Emissary, for great effect.
I like the Hodgepodge Emissary's stars, but hate the sculpt. It has some great utility with the Trinket upgrades that it can give other models.
I had hoped to get an outcast avatar when when Wyrd had their promo a while ago, but didn't get one :(

Anyway, cool painting!

In all honesty I just dont like the sculpts of the Effigies much. They just feel kind of boring, particularly the hodgepodge one, which I've mainly painted because I wanted a figure I didnt particularly like to try out a basing scheme on in case it was awful. Dont have any Emissarys although I do have a "Viktorias: Avatar of Slaughter" which I think is technically a proxy now. I have a sort of soft spot for the hodgepodge Emissary because its kind of silly looking, and really unthreatening compared to any of the others.

We two (and the guy who posted his Kaeris) cant be the only people in the thread who have painted Malifaux stuff, right? In the spirit of not wanting this thread to die, heres what I've been doing the last week or two (also posted in the general painting thread);

Joss for the arcanists

And the Oxfordian Mages

I dont technically have the keyword crew for the Oxfordian Mages, I picked them up with the 2E Toni Ironsides stuff, but I like the models and I'm keeping an eye out for a Sandeep box. Next up: Probably more Gremlins! And by probably I mean I've already slapped on base skin colour and metallics.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Everybody should post what they paint, or their painted crews!

Could not agree more!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

More painted models! Looking good. I had issues choosing what colour nephilim skin should be, so I've ended up deciding that they vary between purple, blue, grey and (in one case) red. The turquoise with the purple and yellow is reminding me of something, and I cant quite put my finger on where I've seen that colour combination before...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-posting from the painting thread.

SiKboy posted:

Probably the last miniatures I'm painting this year. My absolute favourite* thing about photographing figures is that it immediately highlights all the minor imperfections that arent visible with the naked eye. The nozzle of the primer I was using was clogged and it was coming out kind of bitty, in person its absolutely fine, but in the photos it gives the skin a weird texture.

Anyway, you know how sometimes you have a pig over here, but you want it to be over there instead? Malifaux gremlins have the solution! The Pigapault. An ebay rescue that was assembled when I got it, theres some fairly nasty lines on the pig which I wish I'd done a better job of fixing, but again I'm happy enough its "decent tabletop" standard to me at least.

Burt Jebson. The spotting effect on the skin and jeans is 100% not visible in person, and I have since spotted I missed his elbow and fixed that.

Merris LaCroix. I'm pleased with how the flames/smoke from her rocket pack turned out.

Gremlin Taxidermist (1E Metal). Came incredibly close to painting what I later realised is supposed to be his lip as a moustache, have to admit I'm not wildly in love with the sculpt on this one, but I was doing "Gremlins which are part of crews I already have painted" and I wanted him out of my pile of shame.

Old Cranky. In an attempt to make him look older I did his skin as repeated washes of Chamoshade over a white undercoat, it actually came out okay which was frankly a suprise.

*definitely not my favourite.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

chin up everything sucks posted:

Excuse me, you mean BETTER, right?

drat straight.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I also did some painting! Added a Yan Lo crew to my painted crews. Put the individual models in the Miniatures Painting thread, but here is the crew.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I did some more painting!

In an earlier post I said I didnt particularly like the effigy models, but I've changed my mind; I'd only really seen the hodgepodge and lucky effigies, and while those two do nothing for me at all, I enjoyed painting the brutal effigy.

And while I in general like the aesthetics of malifaux, the witchling handlers with their tailcoats, hats, goggles, pistols and swords are literally a monocle short of being "steampunk woman #1 and #2". Went with red to match how I painted Sonnia, but kind of feel the one on the right now looks like a ringmaster.

Also did some Bayou stuff, McTavish (1ed metal, so a fairly underwhelming alligator by comparision), the mechanized porkchop and some Banjonistas.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Looking good! The brutal effigy is probably the best looking of the effigies, with Arcane and Mysterious coming in as runner-ups.

I'm not painting any Malifaux right now (!), but I'm working on a couple of The Other Side minis for a Frostgrave warband. Compared to Malifaux plastics... They're garbage to work with.
I also got the Von Schill core box and one of his other boxes for Christmas, and bought another one, so I'm busy assembling those guys. Just need Cutting Edge Technology to actually show up at my FLGS, and I'll have another complete keyword.

Vonn Schills Hannah is one of the minis I'm keeping an eye out for, I've got some of his stuff and I just think shes a cool model. Whats the difference between the other side minis and the malifaux stuff, I see them come up on ebay occasionally and assumed they were the same! I know the "multipart male" and "multipart female" boxes seem to sell pretty well, presumably for bits/proxy purposes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

I think the multipart male/female boxes is for Through the Breach, and is the normal hard plastic? They do seem pretty cool, I'd but them if I had something to use them for.

The Other Side minis is pre-assembled, which isn't necessarily bad, but they're made of a soft, crappy material. Kind of like Reaper Bones, but not as firm, si the moldlines has a tendency to tear instead of getting sliced off. I really don't like to prepare them for painting, but once they're ready, they're fine. The Cult of the Burning Man faction has some really cool sculpts, so I grabbed a box of Doomseekers to use as Frostgrave spellcasters.

Oh, I was definitely getting Through the Breach and The Other Side confused! I'm considering picking up one of the multipart boxes to a) have some bits for repairing/replacing parts which are missing from ebay rescued miniatures, and b) seeing if I can kitbash together something that looks vaguely suitable as a "Dispatcher" proxy. I picked up a bunch of Guard figures including Daschiel but they're second edition so no dispatcher.

Good to know about The Other Side, I nearly picked up a box of them a few weeks ago, it looked like a games shop on ebay was liquidating stock and they had some kind of cool looking figures, but they went a little higher than I was willing to go, knowing nothing about them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Brock Samsonite posted:

I always get TOS and TTB confused, don't feel bad.

Crossposting from Oath thread:

Those are pretty sweet! Nice job!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

I just assembled Hannah, and I kind of hated it. Nothing is labeled, everything looks the same, and the instructions is little help, while also being extremely necessary. I only hosed up one of the legs, but managed to pull it off again before the glue set.
At least she's built now.

Oh, one day I'll run into the person who "writes" the malifaux build instructions. I just hope at the time I'm in a truck. Some of them are just a mess of lines disappearing behind the figure, others have the pictures with pieces turned so that the perspective makes it entirely unclear which bit it means. And I say "writes" in scare quotes because they DONT PUT ANY WORDS OR NUMBERS IN, even for those figures where order is actually important (eg, Two of the Iron Skeeters build order doesnt matter, so its sensible to put the figure totally together including the rider then put the legs on last, as they are the most fragile parts of the kits. For ONE of them if you put the rider on before the legs you cant put the legs on properly as his feet very slightly overlap the connection point. There is no indication of this in the instructions, and is very easy to overlook). I'm trying to think if I've seen a set of instructions that even does something so basic as show you front and back of the same figure, and while I'm sure one must, I'm coming up blank. I just built Wind Gamin the other week, and gently caress me some of the feather bits literally dont have an attachment point, you just gotta kind of guess where on the arm they should go.

On the one hand, I now try to buy figures prebuilt off ebay to save the headache, on the other about 50% of the time I do that I eventually realise that the reason the person was selling them was because they hosed up assembly one way or another...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from the mini painting thread.

SiKboy posted:

Yesterday was the first day in a while where there was no snow on the ground and no form of water was falling from the sky in bits, so I dashed out to spray varnish a bunch of stuff (and also prime everything I could lay hands on that needed it). All Malifaux 2e/3e plastics.

Some Will O' The Wisps that I painted a couple of weeks back but couldnt apply water to the bases until they were varnished. I have no idea how the guy on the left is supposed to attach securely to a flat base (and from the looks of a google image search, neither does anyone else) so I made him a little swamp dock to be vaulting over.

Ryle Hoffman.

Marlena Webster.

Then this weekend has been a Jack Daw crew. Ebay rescue, but only one notable construction gently caress up between them that I could find.

Jack Daw. Deliberately based him differently from his crew because as a crew leader the model is fine, but doesnt exactly stand out much on his own.

Lady Ligeia.

Montresor

The Guilty. I usually like the whole Malifaux Aesthetic in general, but I have to admit I'm not fond of these models. Particularly the dismembered guy on the cross feels very "doodle in the margin of a goth teenagers maths homework". If I'd had these new I'd have probably painted the guy in the electric chair as a sub assembly because trying to paint the trousers through the side of the chair was annoying as hell. The guy on the gurney is my favourite of the three, or at least the one of the three I didn't actively dislike by the time I was done with them. I'm very much not confident that he's securely fastened on that base if you were to pick him up by the figure tbh...

Bonus Jack Daw Crew photo, including the Hanged that I did a frankly mediocre job painting, and the two drowned I already have (who are based to match the Kirai crew I painted a while back).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Looks nice, as always. I really like the idea of Jack Daw, and he seems fun to play, but I really don't like the Guilty models at all. He's on my to buy list, but I'll probably paint most of the models as ghosts.

Honestly I think thats the way to go with the guilty, I wish I'd realised that before I'd base coated them. Or I did see a picture where someone had done the whole crew as a sort of sin city inspired black and white/greyscale, but with one splash of colour per model (I think it was Jack Daws eyes, Montresors tie, the electricity on the electric chair guilty, I forget the rest). It looked awesome but again I'd more or less commited to base colours by the time I saw it and had fully painted half the crew.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pyrolocutus posted:

I finished my 3e Marcus crew box!

Nice! I like the colour choices, the recurring teal and purple gives the crew a shared colour theme without making it look like they're wearing a uniform.

Cassa posted:

Painting up my Zipp + Wong starters, as well as the Wrastler + Lenny + Swine Cursed boxes, still WIP.

What're peoples thoughts on Wong? The official forums are real down on him, but Alphonse and the swine cursed look lots of fun when powered up.

Cant tell you how he plays, but the figures are fun! Mancha Roja is one of my favourites, because he just seems to be having a great time, and the lightning bugs were a great excuse for me to buy some tesseract glow paint which I'd been eyeing up anyway.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from the mini painting thread:

SiKboy posted:

Some more Malifaux figures from the last wee while

Some Wind Gamin (Wind Elementals basically)

Howard Langston/Steamborg Executioner (1e Metal figure)

2 Saboteurs.

The wind gamin were kind of a pig to put together, you kind of just have to eyeball where the feathers go on the arms because there is no visible connection point, and frankly I'd be worried about picking the one who isnt floating up by the figure; The two who are floating have their tails in contact with the base, so thats a decent sized connection for the glue. The one who has a foot on the ground, well his foot is a) tiny, so not a big area for glue and b) a seperate part when you build the figure. Not just the leg, specifically the foot, making that ankle a definite weak point.

Howard Langston (technically a 1e "Steamborg Executioner" model). Bought off ebay, missing half a claw (made a replacement blade out of green stuff) Is a fairly heavy model with comparatively tiny feet on the bottom of his steampunk spider legs. While undercoating him I turned him sideways to catch the underside of the body with the spraypaint, he promptly broke off his base and fell( knocking another model off its base on the way past) and hit the ground, falling apart. Then when I glued him back together I managed to drop the fucker again while painting him. So I'm frankly glad to have him finished enough to stop working on. Was originally going to base him on a resin cobblestone base to match my (currently half painted) Toni Ironsides, but decided if I instead did a scrapyard theme to match my Howard Langston I could build a mound out of milliput and make divots in it as sockets for the feet, so I could surround them with glue. Its about as secure on a base as I can make him. I like a lot of the old metal models, some of them have a lot of character, but given a straight choice I'd say definitely get howard in plastic instead.

The Saboteurs were comparatively painless!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pierzak posted:

I had that problem. It helps to glue a thin piece of plasticard onto the base so you can attach the foot itself with plastic glue, getting much better adhesion. Another method is to leave part of the sprue tab under the sole and use it to pin the mini to the base (if you're lucky to have an attachment point under a foot).

That would have been a good idea, and I will bear it in mind for next time (because there definitely will be a next time)!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from painting thread:

SiKboy posted:

Last weekend I got my Malifaux Toni Ironsides M&SU keyword models done

Toni herself

Mouse

The Captain. I'm honestly not sure if he's supposed to have an eyepatch or a monocle, I made a call.

And Joshua Fitzsimmons. I dont do much freehand, ever, so the sign came out... Well, its supposed to look hand painted, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Bonus Crew shot with Howard Langston who also works that keyword and I painted a couple of weeks ago.

I dont actually have any minions for Toni because it was a 2E M&SU box I picked up so the minions in the box are the Oxfordian Mages who are now Academic keyword instead, and people keep outbidding me on the Union Steamfitters when they come up on ebay. (aka I keep lowballing bids for them when they come up because I dont find them massively exciting models I guess).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Another X-post from the miniature painting thread!

SiKboy posted:

I did some more Malifaux painting over the last couple of weeks! First up a couple of miscellaneous figures.

The Bloodhunter (AKA Nekimas Ugly Doggy) I think hes supposed to be threatening, but hes just kind of cute. Maybe if I added some blood effects, but I kind of like him as is.

Collodi (metal 1e) and his Marionettes (plastic 2e). Dont love these figures tbh, painted them this weekend when I was dog tired and needed something I didnt care if I hosed up. They came out okay but I still dont much like the figures.

Lazarus, for the Freikorps, another candidate for the category "Malifaux figures who are definitely too big for their base"

The rest are a Arcanist Sandeep Desai Academic crew. These were fun models to build and paint.

The man himself, Sandeep Desai.

Banasuva. There are times I'm willing to give some simple OSL a go, but frankly when a model has 8 seperate flames on it, not so much. Still, really liked this figure to paint!

Kudra. She was the toughest to put together our this crew, a couple of teeny tiny attachment points.

The Shastar Vidiya Guards.

Bonus: All the "Academic" and "Elemental" models I have, including the ice guys poached from my december crew. I think hes my biggest keyword crew just on a raw "number of models" basis.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Those all look great!
I should probably paint something, but I'm kind of in a slump. I bought myself a resin printer, so a bunch of family members wants me to print and paint them stuff. So now I'm painting all kinds of crap instead of fun stuff. At least there're only two baby yodas left until I can start on my M&SU crew.

I keep eyeing up a resin printer, then looking at the pile of models I have sitting built and undercoated and not painted and removing it from my basket again. They've dropped in price a lot, but not enough to justify me picking one up primarily to print out little odds and ends for basing bits. Yet...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Once again I'm more than willing to double post in this thread and theres nothing you can do to stop me! (joking aside, this thread is quiet enough that I figure no-one really minds the occasional "here is some malifaux figures" post)

X-post from painting thread:

SiKboy posted:

All Malifaux 2E/3E plastics.

3 Waldgeists. Theres a movie called "Barney Thompson" where someone describes Robert Carlyle as looking like a Haunted Tree, its all I could think of when painting these boys. The basing involved something I always find slightly comical; Painting actual wood so it looks more like wood.

A Librarian for the Freikorps faction. Almost entirely contrasts and metallics.

Hannah Lovelace, also Freikorps. There is an open sewer drain in the gutter on the base, so the tentacles are coming out of that, the angle of the photo does make it look a little like they are coming out of the cobbles.

I was forewarned by Electric Hobo in this thread that Hannah was a bit of a bastard to put together, and yeah, the instructions are kind of awful, but also if you didnt have them you wouldnt have a chance. There are a few bits that are almost identical, but different enough to not be interchangable between the left and right sides (the upper legs and the round bits that clip round them on the legs, the ball joints at the elbows on the arms. The fingers were also a bit "Which is finger #1 and which is finger #2?"), and the instructions showing everything at weird perspectives were not helpful (they dont print the instructions and put them in the boxes, so why are they all restricted to half a side of A4 regardless how complex or not the models are?). But taking it slow, dry fitting everything and making it in parts meant that, while it was time consuming, there werent any major disasters. Painted Hannah herself seperate from the mech suit as a sub assembly which I think was the right way to go tbh.

The Librarian was one of the simplest Malifaux figures I've built. Didnt even have tiny separate feet or anything! I hope everyone at Wyrd is feeling okay.

I was dreading putting the Waldgeist together, but they were also surprisingly painless tbh. Most of the fiddly looking branches were not separate components which was nice, and most stuff had nice obvious and secure connection points.

Bonus shot of the Freikorps crew;

I'm just pleased I managed to more or less match the flagstone colours of the two new ones to the ones I painted more than a year ago. Lesson here is: Always write down the colours you use for things like uniforms and bases, saves you spending an evening squinting at a base going "Does this look more like field grey, field blue or mid grey?".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cross post from mini painting thread once again. I'm really glad I got back into miniature painting a couple of years ago, not being able to go anywhere, see anyone or do anything kind of sucks, and its been something to do!

SiKboy posted:

Painted some more Malifaux folks this week, this time Mei Fengs Foundry crew.

Consisting of;

Me Feng herself, annoyingly the figure I'm least happy with. Shes a bit better in person than this picture looks though;

The Forgeling. I'm really pleased with how he/his base came out.

Kang

The Rail Workers

Sparks LeBlanc, low key probably my favourite figure of this crew.

The Survivors. These guys (and Sparks) were already built and put onto a railroad track-styled balsa and styrene rod base when I got them, which on the one hand I didnt hate, but on the other there was no way I was going to be able to replicate with the rest of the crew, so instead I just went heavy on the orange to give them some cohesion, and added some ballast on all the bases when I painted them.

Whole crew including the Mechanized Porkchop I painted months ago:

I'll probably wind up getting the metal Gamin/Golem at some point, but they arent a priority because they frankly dont seem like they'd be that interesting to paint.

I have a lore question; The Survivors; Are they supposed to be voluntary workers with replacement parts from injury like the rail workers, or slaves/involuntary test subjects? Wyrds page on Mei seems to make out shes generally good, but it doesnt mention them, and they are called "the survivors" which doesnt bode well.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

They are survivors of gator attacks, who Sparks made prosthetics for after he learned how from the rail crew.
Surprisingly wholesome.

Ah! That is much much more wholesome than I was expecting, thanks!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jodai posted:

You might want Neil Henry, too, to round out the crew and keyword. With Sparks' ability to make people constructs and the abilities Neil brings against constructs, it can be a really good combo. He's pretty straightforward as far as modeling/painting, though.

He comes in a box with the guy with the dynamite wheelbarrow, right? I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from mini painting thread

SiKboy posted:

Some more Malifaux!

3 "Crooked Men" (zombie miners)

A Reva Cortinas starter box. Not gonna lie, I'm quite pleased with how Reva herself turned out (the woman on the horse)

I also did some Bayou Gators who are versatile but keyworded swampfiend, so I put them with my Zoraida models:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My paints are currently packed away and wet pallet been left to dry. Instead I've been spending a couple of evenings this week building figures. Bunch of random ebay purchases, I usually prefer to buy prebuilt but if the price is right whatever.

The 2E relic hunter McCabe box was a regular joy to put together. Horses head didnt fit super well onto its torso, but some filing before gluing a little gap filling after and it was fine. One of the wastrels had a leg that just doesnt fit quite right no matter what you do, but again a bit of filing and some minor filling and it was fine. One of the figures is literally 2 pieces and doesnt look any worse for it. The parts were all lettered/numbered on the sprue too, so you know which parts go to which model which is nice.

2 Thalarian Quellers, also no major issues. The male one went together with a minor (easily fillable) gap and while I dont much like the female ones sculpt (its not bad per se, its just that it looks like someone had a 3d render for a "barbarian sorceress" model already lying around when they got the call from Wyrd to make a female Thalarian Queller, so slapped a bolt pistol on her hip and called it a day) the construction was easy, only real criticism is that its not really obvious what part of the staff shes supposed to be holding (which I assume is why half the hits for her on GIS arent even holding the staff).

2 scavengers from the 3E Leviticus starter box were some of the easiest Malifaux builds I've ever done. They were practically push-fit! A far cry from gremlins with seperate feet and tiny ankles.

So, whats next on the pile? Why, its this box of 2 Goryo. Everything else has gone so easily, maybe I've been slandering Wyrd all this time when I've complained about how hard their figures can be to put together. Sure the goryo seems a little more challenging, but the instructions make it seem easy if you are methodical.

Well, gently caress me running I have not been slandering wyrd ENOUGH. They are something like 25 pieces in each goryo. Some of the ghosts have separate tongues. There is a floaty sash and floaty ghosts and floaty tendrils of ectoplasm. The ghosts have one good anchor point on the figure, one okay one, and one basically non-existent one. I start to get an inkling something is up a couple of bits in to the build when I'm putting the robe together, and it seems to fit a bit weirdly (like it needs to be put together in a certain order which isnt indicated anywhere) So I check the Gmorts Chaotica blog, a website I'm sure you are mostly familiar with (as its pretty much always in the first page of results when I google a figures name). I usually check that site for build tips on tricky stuff because he generally mentions things like "build the robe from left to right" or "these feathers dont have a connection point" or "If you build this bit as a sub assembly it doesnt actually fit under the arm". They arent there. Oh well, he doesnt have everything (and I dont think he still does Malifaux, I dont see anything on his list past 2E). So I google "Malifaux Goryo" and googles first suggestion is "Malifaux Goryo Assembly" which isnt a good sign. On the first page of results is a post he made on the Wyrd forums describing the Goryo as (and I'm paraphrasing here) only the second malifaux kit hes ever rage-quit. Along with several other posters complaining about them.

So, in case anyone ever needs to build Goryo, here is what I would say: 1) consider if you really NEED Goryo. Plenty other figures out there. 2) okay, assuming someone is holding your family at gunpoint and wont release them unless you build the standing Goryo figure, consider if you really NEED your family back. You're young, you can move on and start over. 3) Still going for it? Okay, heres what the build instruction should say if they werent allergic to words and numbers over at wyrd instruction writing HQ:

Build the front torso of the goryo first. It'll seem like there is a crack in it between the leftmost and middle bit, but its fine, its a fold in the robe. Attach the sword to the back THEN attach the sash to the back. NOW STOP. Do not attempt to attach the arms yet. There is a weird slotlike rectangular gap in the underside of the robe, but as far as I can tell its supposed to be there. Probably wont be massively visible when you base it anyway.

Now assemble most of the ghosts. The rightmost ghost (as you look at the figure from the front) has a right arm with a tab in it. DO NOT ATTACH THIS ARM TO THE GHOST IT BELONGS TO DESPITE HOW SENSIBLE THIS WOULD APPEAR TO BE. Instead, glue the tab from that arm into the matching slot on the middle ghost. Also do not attach the trail of ectoplasm to the leftmost ghost. Now its time to put the ghosts on the goryo. Thank whatever powers you believe in that poly cement/plastic glue has a long working time because you may need it. Rightmost ghost has an anchor point on the hilts of the swords on the back, hes the easy one. Middle ghost has an anchor point on the front of the goryos right shoulder. No, I know it looks more like he should be coming out from under where the right arm is going to go, but trust me, he wont fit there with the arm. So glue him to the front, then rotate him back until the shoulder of the arm glued onto his side meets the shoulder socket of the rightmost ghost you have already put in place. This is where the working time of the plastic glue comes in handy as you may have to twist him a little too to get them to fit together.

Now put the figure down. Take a minute. Remember happier times. Put the cap back on the glue and walk around a bit, at this point it feels like borderline solvent abuse. When the glue has set and your resolve to finish is strong, come back with tweezers. Put them to one side. Now the third ghost, with no apparent anchor point? Its tail is supposed to anchor inbetween the Goryos chin and the hem of his robe. This is why you didnt attach the arms earlier, because theres a good chance he wouldnt fit now. So glue him in. I used a little poster tack to support him a few millimetres above the trailing sash thing. Then before that glue dries, quickly glue the left arm in place, then put glue on the right arm and use tweezers to put it in place. Or at least I needed the tweezers as it needs slotted in between the ghosts, and lined up with left arm (as the right hand is part of the sword hilt, so the arms have to match pretty exactly.

Now, put that down and let it dry. Not because the last step is difficult, but because if you drop it before it dries and everything goes squint you may throw all your modelling stuff through the window, then run off into the night and never be seen again. Once it dries glue the fastener of the sash on the models left, and the last piece of trailing ectoplasm on the leftmost ghost. Despite this having a definite anchor point I couldnt find a way to make it look natural, so wound up taking a "good enough is" attitude.

And now you are done! Except to note that the figure barely connects to its base at all, you have a choice of having it lean forward on the front edge of its robe, or stand straight up on two tiny sections. Neither looks quite right, so I've gone for standing upright and I'll hide where it touches the base in static grass anyway.

I havent yet attempted the crouching Goryo. I'm saving that for when I decide I dont have enough stress in my life or hatred in my heart. I've got Sanctioned Spellcasters and Union Miners to build this week but they seem pretty straightforward. I hope.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

What a beautiful writeup! I hope that the model is looking cool now, at least.

Honestly, I'm torn! Its a good looking figure, I cannot deny that at all, and I'm personally glad I built it "properly" (some of the ones I saw when I googled had only used two of the ghosts, possibly because they stuck the arms on then realised that ghost #3 no longer fit). But man I cannot shake the feeling that you could make it about 50% easier to build while only making it 10% less cool looking, which is a trade-off I would have made. Both the Corpse Candles I painted a couple of weeks ago, and Wrath of the 7 deadly sins have a similar "haunted by spirits" motif while being much less punishing builds. Really nice figure, just not sure it justifies how fiddly it is to get there!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from the mini painting thread again.

SiKboy posted:

Lucas McCabe, Relic Hunter

Lucas McCabe, Dismounted Hunter. (AKA the same dude, but if you kill his horse) I can tell you now that whip overhanging the base is a MASSIVE PAIN as every time you move anything near it it catches and knocks the figure over. Other figures, paintbrushes, sleeves, anything. Transporting it would be an adventure, and when it was on the table moving guys near him would be super annoying.

Luna, a Good Dog. I went for a lost desert city type vibe on the bases, and Luna is unearthing a skull from the sand, but you cant see it well from this angle.

Sidir Alchibal. My favourite of the set I think. This (aside from the metals) are where the "almost" in almost entirely contrast paints comes in; Apocathary White was fine for the shirts of the other figures, but really struggled on his robe, so I touched it up with some regular paint. Then tried some weathering powder on the bottom of it, which worked great on the robe, but less well on the bases (looked AMAZING when I applied it, but varnishing blew most of it off, or darkened it right down/turned it a bit sludgy. Will continue to experiment with it).

The Ruffians. I had to fight the impulse to just paint the one in the top hat as The Hitcher from The Mighty Boosh but the bright green skin would have looked out of place.

And the whole crew:

Really enjoyed painting these guys, and as I mentioned before they were actually really easy to put together too.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Signal posted:

This is one of the things that has really driven me away from Wyrd. Every model overhangs its damned base, and there's no consideration for playability or storage. The iron skeeters come to mine, where from some angles it's literally impossible for models to get close to them. Others, like the nightmare beast, overhang the base in nearly every dimension.

The iron skeeters remain the worst tbh. My wyrd model bugbears are overhanging bases* (iron skeeters, the whip on McCabe, 2E metal nekima), thin connection points (wind gamin, pale rider, iron skeeters) wee thin fragile pieces (Waldgeist, iron skeeters), and bad build instructions (Goryo, Iron Skeeters, Hannah Lovelace). Iron skeeters hit every category. At least the game doesnt have rules for model facing like some games, so you can at least rotate the figures to face whatever way lets you fit stuff! McCabe feels like a missed opportunity; In 3E he cant even use the whip on foot, dismounted mccabe can only attack with his sword or pistol, but obviously they havent reworked the figure like they did with say Lucius. But so help me even with all the irritations I still really dig the malifaux aesthetic and keep buying the figures anyway...

*I also dont like it when models stand on the rim rather than in the cup of the malifaux bases, but its my own personal aesthetic irritation. Stuff like Pride and Envy of the Crossroads Seven Its an irrational irritation, as I'm not worried on them catching on things, and it doesnt make it difficult to put figures next to them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

You guys should build the Malisaurus Rex. It ridiculous, and completely impractical to move around on the table.

I'm not even going to pretend that I'm not thinking of it tbh. Like for a while I was going "I have too much malifaux stuff, but I've decided that at least I'm not going to get any arcanists or ten thunders, that keeps it from getting silly". Then i picked up a job lot that had Rasputina in it, and I do like the Collette gimmick of "real magic pretending to be stage magic", so okay, maybe some arcanists, but no ten thunders, and no explorers society (which was just starting to be previewed). You'll note that my most recent painted crew is a McCabe set, which gives you some idea how that resolution has turned out.... But so far I dont have any explorers only masters at least!

So tl:dr there is a decent chance I'll buy the drat dinosaur eventually. It looks ludicrous in a fun way. Then I'll probably complain about it! Although in fairness, most of the 3E stuff I've built has been comparitively okay, its mainly 2E sculpts which have terrible instructions and fiddly fragile bits...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pyrolocutus posted:

Cooper box, On The Hunt box, and Basse box. Still trying to get used to my new lightbox.

Nice! I've got a Basse box coming from ebay in the near future (because I have pretty much zero self control. But! Still technically no Explorers Society-only masters, so thats something! Although literally all of them seem kind of interesting...) How were they to build?

I got a cheap collapsable lightbox off amazon about a year or so ago, but I gave up using it, because I couldnt seem to get the knack of taking a decent picture with it. Whatever I did I'd have to end up adjusting the levels, in the end I just stopped using it because I figured if I was going to have to adjust the white balance anyway, might as well just use a bit of paper as a backdrop and not bother with the lightbox at all. Plus the texture of the fabric backdrops that came with mine were super obvious no matter what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

midwifecrisis posted:

The cheap ones have this blueish tint to them in my experience and that just fucks everything all up

The cheap one I had let you select the colour temperature, so you had a choice of "too yellow" or "too blue", neither of which was ideal.

Anyway, did more painting, obligatory cross post;

SiKboy posted:

I've done some more painting this last couple of weeks! I'll spare you the individual shots, but heres the group shots (all for Malifaux);

A Lucius Mattheson crew, mix of 1e/2e/3e models. I was looking forward to painting these guys, but aside from Agent 46 (back left) and Lucius himself (Next to agent 46, gold mask) I'm not wildly in love with how they turned out, but spending more time on them wasnt improving them, so I called them good and moved on.

And a Marcus crew, mainly 1e metals with a couple of 2e plastics. Contrast over a zenithal did the bulk of the heavy lifting on his beasts tbh, with a bit of extra drybrushing/highlights here and there.

In both cases I much prefer the 3e master models to the 1e/2e ones I have here (I also prefer the look of the 3e lawyers), Its possible I'll pick up their 3e starters at some point and sell on the older ones. Plus that would give me Marcus' order initiates which look cool.