Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Backno posted:

The cheapest and easiest way to get every single rule that is out for Malifaux is to buy both the small rule book (all the rules from the first book and Rising Powers in one small book) and Twisting Fates. The first and second big rule books at this point are only good if you want to read the fluff.

And if you're looking at unit stats, but yeah. The fluff is the main reason to buy the original books, and I'd just like to say that the fluff is absolutely amazing and worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Done in MSPaint because :effort:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

MisterShine posted:

I have Showgirls, Belles, Waifs and realized I have a problem with painting pretty dresses.

I used to paint space mans, what happened

Showgirls are awesome. :colbert: There is nothing wrong here.

Whenever my phone finally sends the pictures to my email, I'll be posting pictures of my Colette crew. And also some Gakis in purple ghost dresses.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Doublepost, but I have a picture now! Some showgirls:

All together

And a select few individual models

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

MisterShine posted:

Yeah, most masters can be pretty effective, even in games where the goal isnt very well suited to them, they can usually take schemes that will level the playing field to their play style.

The most common mistake for new players is not playing with schemes OR strategies and just having a brawl. Game isnt balanced at all that way

Yeah, you need to use the game's given Strategies and Schemes when you play, or else it will all fall apart. The crews are not balanced for murder, they're balanced for grabbing points. There's murder-crews like most of the Neverborn and Guild, which focus on wiping out the opponent and grabbing their goals at their leisure later. The Resurrectionists try to outnumber the other guy, so they have spare dudes to go grab their goal. The Arcanists try to outmaneuver the other guy with their higher speed models, except Rasputina and to a lesser extent Ramos, who trade some mobility for the ability to lockdown enemy movement. This is all generalities, but the point is that some crews are flat out not built to be able to cause lots and lots of murder, compared to other crews, but murder is very rarely the name of the game.

Basically, yeah, pick your favorite! Every single Master has a bunch of cool options at their disposal. It's one of the best things about Malifaux.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Schmetterling posted:

Teleporting halfway across the map and getting free soulstones every turn is the best way to play. :colbert:

Absolutely. Showgirls are the best crew, let nobody tell you otherwise. :colbert:

That said, Seamus is great. Hi I'll be your Jack the Ripper today, would you like some extra gun with that?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
April releases have been revealed! I have a burning need for those Nicodems.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Dominion posted:

All of the pictures of the minis are on sculpted bases - do the minis come with such or is that just extra stuff for the box art?

They sell the sculpted base inserts separately. All minis you get come with little black 30mm, 40mm, or 50mm bases. The bases are completely plain, and it's recommended that you do something to spruce them up (and required by tournament rules). Wyrd sells base inserts, which are the fancy sculpted bits that appear in every image of the minis that they show off. A couple of minis come with their own base inserts, such a Nekima, who needs a pewter base insert to prevent her from being too top-heavy, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fix posted:

I've got a fluff question: Is the Aethervox supposed to be a broadcast sort of technology, or something that can be point-to-point or encrypted somehow to be used for private transmissions?

Broadcast technology, from what I can tell. It's just a radio that streams along the undercurrents of the magic system of Malifaux. It's just expensive to set up a radio station to broadcast from in the 1800s and the Guild dislikes non-Guild sponsored stations, so they usually get shut down. I imagine someone could build a point-to-point Aethervox, if people stop going crazy from the other sounds that bleed through the things.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Been thinking how exactly I want to build my Hoffman crew. Tell me if there's something bad I'm overlooking.

C. Hoffman - 5 Soul stones
Pale Rider 9
Peacekeeper 9
Guardian 7
Warden 5
Mobile Toolkit 4

I was originally wanting to use Ryle, but there's no organics in the list for him to push off from and the pale rider just seems a better ranged choice. I can steal the guardians protect to use on the toolkit and ride around on the Peacekeeper. Optionally, the pale rider can be ridden about to stay further from melee. Override edict can be used to flurry/rapid fire things continually to death. Warden can try and delay things with paralyze, or at least beat up things that have activated. Mobile toolkit helps keep give healing flips and should one of my big guys get taken down, a 3 scrap controlled detonation can (hopefully) get some revenge.

Two things: There IS an organic for Ryle to push off of, in two places - 1: C. Hoffman himself, because he can turn off the fact that he is a Construct whenever he feels like it, and 2: the opponent's crew. The "free push away from living dudes" isn't to make him move faster, it's to get him out of melee because he doesn't have Gunfighter, so you can keep pumping lead into enemies. I haven't seen the Pale Rider in action, but Ryle is a fantastic meatgrinder. One of my friends mains Hoffman, so I've seen a lot of tricks his crew can do.

Override Edict is one of Hoffman's most powerful tricks by far. He is significantly better if he has powerful constructs around, so giving him a construct or two with a particularly nasty attack to Override is a great way to make him more combat effective. My Hoffman friend likes to use Override Edict on a Watcher so it can shoot laser fire from halfway across the map 5-6 times at once (by activating the Watchers straight after). The Critical Hit trigger given by the Edict makes sure each of those hits at least plinks off 1 wound of damage. It's definitely not the most effective way to use Override Edict, but it's often viable on the first turn due to sheer amounts of RANGE.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
And people said I was silly for buying two Coryphee blisters and making them separate. Colette's not the nicest crew to put together.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
What kind of terrain is that? Custom made, or is it from somewhere? Because it looks super great, all of it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lungboy posted:

More questions! (sorry):

The Pull my finger guide says it's possible to summon a Rogue Necromancy in one activation. It has McM gather 2 corpse counters and use them plus extra body parts for the summon. However, McM can only convert one counter to body parts a turn, so how can this summon work? Can he use a counter in place of body parts? If so, where are the rules for that?

Secondly, i'm playing against my first Avatar today, Ramos. Is there anything i should know about with regards to Avatars, or Ramos in general?

e: ah, am i misreading McM's conversion rule? It saus he can convert a counter to 2 body parts at any time during his activation. I assume that meant one conversion per activation, but does it mean as many times as he wants?

Yes, it's as many times as he wants. It's just a 1-to-2 conversion ratio. McMourning can chop up corpses like nobody's business.

The main thing about Avatars is that they're generally not all THAT much scarier than the original master, just different. It mostly changes up the master's play style. I've never played against Ramos at all, even regular, so I can't give you any tips, but I would ask your opponent before the game what Ramos' Avatar conditions are. If they're something reliant on him doing things to you, you can attempt to stall his Avatar's unveiling by not giving him opportunities to do what he needs to.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Perhaps Copellius? He's not quite the traditional beatstick, but he is very good at making things run away and his incredibly high Poison values make him fantastic for crowd control. Run into a group of enemies, force a ton of Morale checks, pluck out someone's eyeball to force even more Morale checks, and perhaps start meleeing guys to soften them up for literally anything else to finish off. I use Copellius for my Pandora crew and he's a dream.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

dexefiend posted:

Anyone got a good list to play Hamelin's Avatar? I have only played one game of Malifaux, but we are starting up a league in a few weeks.

I have:
Hamelin
Nix
Obedient Wretch
Rat Catcher x 2
The Stolen x 3
Canine Remains x 2
Malifaux Rat x 15

Any suggestions? Or perhaps should I pick up Leveticus. I know, from the internet, that Leviticus really struggles against the Dreamer, and one of the guys is going to be playing him.

Hamelin is hilarious! Mwahaha! He is such a dick!

Any advice at all would be helpful.

I've never played Hamelin, really, and that looks like a solid list. However, I'd been considering running him for a while, and I'd been looking in to adding a set of Neverborn Alps to his crew. They slow guys down and deal damage for slowing, and they can make more of themselves. And any Alps that die near a Ratcatcher come back as more Rats. It might be worth trying out.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That ruling just seems so counter-intuitive to me.

Not just counter-intuitive, but actively harmful in some situations. It means someone like Sonya Criid can't cast a (2) action spell unless she wants to spend all 3 of her actions casting spells this turn. I think I'll just stick with the old ruling with my play group.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Week 4

Outcasts take Zone 6.

Week 5

No change in the map.

It looks like the Outcasts lost 12 in Week 5, there.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Going by the current update, Outcasts are winning with 8 points. The Neverborn have 4 points, and each other faction has 6 points.

The Guild control areas 1, 2, and 3.

The Arcanists control areas 4, 5, and 14.

The Ressurectionists control areas 9, 11, and 13.

The Neverborn control areas 8 and 15.

The Outcasts control areas 6, 7, 10, and 12.

So yes, the Outcasts got Area 12 back, and the Neverborn lost some ground.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 21, 2012

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

MisterShine posted:

Can't take him. Von Schill is Ruthless and Lazarus only hangs out with CoolGuys™

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I am looking at Lazarus in the book here, and his only hiring restriction is that he can't be hired by Guild crews. Hell, Lazarus himself has Ruthless.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Necropunks are probably one of the best Resser models around, really. They're incredibly fast, and perfect for going after goals. I've had exactly the described experience with Mortimer - he's really really unreliable. Rafkin, on the other hand, is glorious, and works beautifully with Nicodem's piles and piles of corpses. That list should be fine for getting used to Nicodem, but you'll eventually want to replace Mortimer.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

MisterShine posted:

Don't understand how Mort is unreliable when you can cheat the flip?

Yes, you can cheat the flip - except the exact same cards you want to cheat for Mortimer (high Crow cards, except for the Fresh Meat spell) are the same ones you want to cheat for Nicodem's spells, or to get triggers on almost every single Undead model's attacks. His abilities are competing for space with the same abilities the rest of your crew has, except his abilities require those cards to work and can sometimes be much less useful.

Mortimer's Exhume spell doesn't need a Crow on the cast, but it needs one on a random flip from your deck, making it only a 1 in 4 chance of working. Fresh Meat is probably his most useful spell, and it requires a 7 Mask or better to cast, which isn't too bad since it doesn't have the Crow problem the rest of his actions do. Make My Own Friends is an (all) action, needs a 9Crow or higher, and can only summon Undead worth 4SS or less, while Nicodem has a (1) action spell that can summon literally any Undead model he wants.

Mortimer can be useful, and very good, in the right situation and with the right cards backing him up. With 10 Wd, Regeneration 1, and potentially Hard To Wound 2, he has a lot of staying power. However, almost everything he can actually do is a lesser version of what the rest of your crew can do. He's not as fast as a Necropunk or a Canine Remains. He's not as good a spellcaster as Rafkin or Nicodem. And he's not as good at fighting as a Punk Zombie or a Crooked Man. He's a good backup for anything in your crew, but for 7 Soulstones, he's just not worth it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
As long as we're on the topic of Ressers, I'd just like to mention that Crooligans are basically amazing, and Nicodem can put them to good use. The Fog gives a lot of cover, they can teleport, and walking around after making an Interact action is fantastic for all sorts of win conditions. Crooligans and Necropunks are my favorite models for a Nicodem crew, but then again, my main is Colette: I have a love of movement tricks.

You can also get one Necropunk and one Crooligan for the same cost you'd get a Mortimer.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

MisterShine posted:

Also I cant figure out how to make the avatar work better than base Colette

That's my problem as well. Avatar Colette loses all the things I play Colette to do, in exchange for 6 AP and not a lot to spend it on, as far as I can tell. I don't run her Avatar because I have no idea how her Avatar is supposed to be better than her regular self. Does anyone run her, or see what you're supposed to do with her to win at games?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jonas Albrecht posted:

There is. Those color blots indicate who can take them.

The Rail Workers are Arcanist/Ten Thunders, the Archers are Ten Thunders only.

Is Ten Thunders going to be a completely new faction, or did you mean to say Outcasts? Because that Orange looks very similar to Outcast Brown.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Flipswitch posted:

Trying to understand how this works as I've not used that spell yet.

Discard One Soulstone. Bury target non-Master model? Wait, so if I pull that off on someone, they don't get the model back or what? I mean, does Burying it completely remove it until I decide to bring it back or something? That sounds pretty outrageous.

I can see where Mannequin Replacement comes in, but I need another two tomes for that.

Yes, Burying removes the model from play immediately. However, it comes back into play during the End Phase, as described in Disappearing Act. It keeps all damage and status effects that were on it. If Colette dies before the End Phase, they get it back immediately.

Fun thing is that you decide where it comes back, so if you have Kaeris put up a Flame Wall somewhere, you can bring them back in fiery pain.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lungboy posted:

Does anyone have any tips for painting Silurid? They have almost no detail on them, so the one i have done just looks dull and boring.

You could probably look to real life frogs or lizards for coloration patterns to paint them up with. A quick Google image search for "colorful lizards" grabbed quite a few neat looking options, although you might want to go with a more brown base color for the swampy silurids.

Does it count as image leeching if I only link to the images? I'll remove the links, if so. They're only a google search away.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

LumberingTroll posted:

Thanks Dominion, I appreciate it.

What is the suggested table-size for a game of Malifaux, I think I have seen 3'x3' suggested.

That's what the rulebook says is the standard size, actually. If you're going to be playing Malifaux, you'll want to pick up the Malifaux Rules Manual. It covers everything in a compact, well organized way.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I have some questions about the Ten Thunders' Dual Faction thing. Being Dual Faction, can a master like McCabe hire Ototo? Could a Ten Thunders crew have guys from every faction if it wanted to, as long as the hired guys were also Ten Thunders? And lastly, are there any Ten Thunders exclusive units, or is every TT guy cross-faction?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Whats the general opinion on Collodi? I just picked him up as part of a huge Malifaux lot I bought. I have never played the game but it seems cool, and I'm going to paint/assemble all these crews so me and my buds can play.

Here is a loose breakdown of what I got (for pretty cheap too!). If anyone has some suggestions of stuff I could add to make things more better-er that would be cool:

Boxed Sets:
-Lucius
-Rasputina
-Kirai
-Both sets of hillbilly goblins
-Dreamer
-Collodi

Random stuff:
-Daydreams
-Zombies
-Brutal Effigy
-Spawn Mother
-Fire Gamins

From my noobish look through of what I got I determined that Collodi was the guy I had the most stuff for, so he should be my main dude (also evil pupetts are awesome). Since, as far as I can tell I can use his box, the stitched togethers from the dreamer box and the Brutal Effigy all together in the same crew.

Yeah, that's correct. You have a pretty solid baseline Collodi crew right there.

From what I can tell, Collodi is a beast. He himself is essentially a single massive model that gets 10 actions at once, thanks to being able to activate all his little puppets together, making him a bit of a melee nightmare. I have never played him, but he's on my list of crews to pick up. The Effigy cycle all work great with him, and Stitched Togethers are pretty dang tough. Collodi is a good crew to deal with, but like most Neverborn crews, he doesn't have much long range going for him. The Brutal Effigy is a pretty good model in that regard - it's got a gun. For the most part, though, the Collodi strategy is to single out an enemy or two and swarm them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's the general consensus that the Ortegas are THE ranged beatdown crew, and sort of surpass all others in that regard. They have multiple activation tricks via companion chains, the massive bomb that is Papa Loco, lots and lots of good guns with good numbers on them, and a couple of unique tricks for good measure. They're very very good for the soulstone cost, and can be a nightmare to deal with. Getting up close to them can be really tough, and they'll focus fire you the whole way up.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

...but I had just perma-Brillianced his Specialist and was about to Obey it to Detonate Tanks (haha take that flamethrowing motherfucker!)

Worth mentioning, but I am pretty sure the Friekorps Armor protects them against the damage from that. They don't take damage from pulses, blasts, and bursts, and I am fairly certain Detonate Tanks is a Burst.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Are you clicking through to the product descriptions? I've never really had any issue with the size of the pictures there.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ghoulish Sandwich posted:

I am, but that's not enough for him. I guess Games Workshop's site spoiled him.

Plus, he's been looking at pages like this.

Right Click -> View Image will blow up most of the images a bit more. If he needs more than that, then I don't know what to tell you, because I feel like they have pretty decent images there.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
His mini-me totem is very much worth picking up. Only 2 Soulstones for another shot with Seamus' gun, a teleport, and/or another cast of Seamus' spells.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

numerrik posted:

I am an old hat at minis games, (Have a 50 point cryx army for War Machine, and a 1500 point Sisters of Battle Army for Warhammer 40k) and was thinking of maybe getting into this game, I like the Colette set, since I work in Burlesque myself, and find the figurines fun, is there a general resource where I can get a grasp on the characters stats and possibly some strategies before investing in a set? especially since any figurine buying I do for this game will be in X-mas gifts from family and friends.

I find that this wiki has some pretty sound advice for crew strategies and crew building. It doesn't list entire stat blocks, but it'll give you a good idea of what any given model is good for and synergizes with.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Backno posted:

Colette is good fun, but takes some time to grasp what all is going on. But she is also one of the masters that you can win a game and have everyone of your models killed if you do it right.

I've never had more than one other model survive with Colette at the end of a game. It's always Colette walking away from a field full of dead showgirls, with all the victory points. Colette's crew is very good at winning. They are very bad at surviving to the end.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Ramos probably gets upset about all the Coryphee I need replaced, to be sure. And all the Kaerises I get killed.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Khisanth Magus posted:

So I've decided I needed another miniatures game for some reason and have started playing Malifaux. I picked The Dreamer for my first master, and it is going pretty well, finally figuring out how in the heck he works without getting all my stuff killed. Being able to borrow 3 daydreams from my local henchmen definitely rounded out his box and brought it up to a nice solid 25 pts(and got me up to 7 soulstones, whee). What would be the best place to go from here. My own set of 3 daydreams and Teddy to get up to 35? Or should I only start with 1 or 2 daydreams and fill in the extra points with something else and then use soulstones to bring out more daydreams as necessary.

Well, Daydreams only come in a 3 pack, so that takes the purchasing decision out of your hands - you can decide how many Daydreams you want to run when you set up for any particular game.

Teddy is definitely an excellent model for The Dreamer, and wouldn't be a bad choice for extending your crew. You might also want to consider the Weaver Widow - she can build you a Teddy in the middle of a game, which is nightmarish, to say the least.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

WerrWaaa posted:

My FLGS wants me to give them a list of must-haves that they should order and have on the shelf. Other than starter boxes, what are the must have clam shells for your faction that any store should carry?

I don't have the fourth book yet, so this will just be using choice picks from the first three books, in my opinion. In addition, I'll put a * on the top two box sets for each faction. I'll try to list only must-haves for a 25SS crew - basically, just the things that a crew will need outside of what it comes with in the box.

For general factions:
Guild Guard for Guild
Necropunks and Canine Remains for Resurrectionists
Nothing for Arcanists
Teddy for Neverborn
Convict Gunslinger and Killjoy for Outcasts

For specific crews (obviously, skip any you don't grab a starter for):
Nothing for Perdita Ortega*
Witchlings for Sonnia Criid*
Nothing for Lady Justice
Mechanical Attendant for C. Hoffman
Nothing for Lucius

Canine Remains and Zombie Chihuahua for McMourning
Mindless Zombies for Nicodem (You need lots of Mindless Zombies)
Copycat Killer for Seamus*
Seishin and either Shikome or Gaki for Kirai Ankoku*
Seamus' Box Set for Mollie Squidpidge

Jackalope for Marcus
Electrical Creations for Ramos*
Silent One(s) for Rasputina (unique case: Silent One isn't actually needed for her SS count, it's just that Rasputina's box set is remarkably bad)
Mechanical Doves for Colette*
Nothing for Kaeris

Young Nephilim for Lilith*
Voodoo Doll for Zoraida
Nothing for Pandora
Daydreams for The Dreamer
Stitched Together for Collodi*

Slop Hauler or Piglets for Som'er Teeth Jones*
Desolation Engine for Leveticus (He comes with 1 Hollow Waif but you also probably want a second one)
Malifaux Rats and Rat Catchers for Hamelin (you need lots of Malifaux Rats)
Ronin for Victorias
Nothing for Von Schill*
Young Lacroix for Ophelia

Of course, when deciding which box sets you want to stock, just pick the ones you think have the coolest models. Except Rasputina (Ice Gamin and Ice Golems are both overpriced for their stats), all of their box sets are great starting points for a crew.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lungboy posted:

Maybe Iggy for Kaeris, but definitely chihuahua for McM. Some of those "top 2" rankings seem off too, but that's a different subject.

I would've put in Iggy but he doesn't have a model out yet. I just forgot about the zombie chihuahua for McMourning, though, that's my bad.

Also, top 2 is hard to pick. A lot of them are very good! It is mostly opinion.