Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, I've probably seen one too many Malifaux minis in the painting thread, but I'm intrigued. But first, some questions:

- How balanced are factions/masters against each other? I've heard of newbie and advanced lists/masters, are there significally stronger/weaker ones, or is it just a question of trickier unit synergy and less obvious options (i.e. player skill)?

- Are there many objectively must-have or never-have units, or can I put whatever I like in my lists as long as it's a coherent whole with proper synergy?

- Speaking of lists, how important is list-building in this game? How likely is it that I'll be domed from the start by making a lovely list?

- I'm mainly interested in the Arcanists for the models, is that a good faction to start? Alternatively, gimme a whole bunch of clockwork bots. I'm not interested in the Wild West vibe at all, more in the steampunk/magical side.

- Is there scale/power creep in this game, or sudden changes with new releases/codex-equivalents that leave people scrambling for new units?

- How competitive is the game and what's the general community like compared to other games?

- What's wrong in this game? I want to know its bad sides before I leap in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for the answers! It seems I may actually buy a force, provided I find a group of players in my area.

"everyone posted:

*faction and objectives first, THEN list building*
Woah, this changes a lot. And I can see how that can change the collection or bloat a faction.

Dominion posted:

2. Some masters have must-take models, some models have been outclassed. But there aren't overall "everyone always uses X" things, really. For the most part you are free to use your favorite models as long as they work well together.
Must-have as requisites ("take master X, must take # models of type Y as his guard etc."), or as in "there's no point running master X if you don't take Ys"?

quote:

5. I'd say there has been significant COMPLEXITY creep, but not real power creep. Book 2 and 4 masters are way more complex than book 1 masters, but those book 1 masters still kick rear end.
What are the numbered books? The rulebook is like version 1.5, are these the expansions? What do I need them for that I can't get with the free rules book and unit cards?

quote:

I would like them to retrofit all the old metals to the new plastic.
Metal is actually a huge advantage for me, I hate working with plastic.

quote:

But the models are so cheap that even if you bought every model in a faction it would still be a smaller cost than an army in 40k.
I'm not even considering starting a 40k-scale system again, let alone giving money to GW. However, I've checked the prices per model and they seem comparable to other skirmish systems.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I play Guild, and I don't really think there are must haves unless I'm playing C. Hoffman, a master whose playstyle is effected greatly by his crew composition.

I can't recommend Guild master C. Hoffman for you enough. He's not only clockwork robot themed, but it's also his playstyle. Plus you get a selection of Arcanist machines as well. He's pretty much the first dual faction model in spirit.
Yeah, Hoffman is the only Guild master I like, so I'll look into that.

EVIR Gibson posted:

1: You should be thinking less about counter against faction being first concern than getting your strats done/preventing your opponent from getting their stats done. After you hire for that, then tweak the list to take care of the faction you are up against.

2: If you make your list to do your strat, :words:
Strats are objective types, right? And by counter against faction do you mean I should know the principal strangths of the enemy faction and plan to defend against that/deny it ASAP?

quote:

3: Arcanists are fine to start out with, but there is less model overlap than other faction. What I mean, Marcus won't take any constructs, Raputina won't take any non-Frozen Heart units, Collette won't take a lot of non-showgirls, while Ramos/Kaeris/Mei Feng can take the same things. Compare this to ressers who have a ton of options concerning undead.
I realize that, especially while I'd have to build most of Rasputina's units myself (I absolutely love her model but I hate the imp things; that reminds me, is this game TLOS?). Still, I want to play a faction I like the look of and neither the Guild nor the necros fit my taste.

quote:

4: The power creep and scale is increasing, but no one is going out of their way to get everything.
This actually worries me a bit (burned by GW), what does it look like? How fast does the scale increase?

quote:

6: Problems are the devs can be attached to their model concept so much, they refuse to change it or change it a couple of weeks before the book is released. This doesn't happen as often anymore, but there are times the testers get a model to where it isn't as crazy but find out the book has the power level of the model REALLY high.
I don't understand this one. Do you mean that the actual miniature/art can vary from the feel the stats are supposed to reflect?

quote:

Support on the rules is confusing sometimes. Like "Attack Flip" and "attack flip" have different meanings in context of the game.
:psyduck: OK how did this pass testing. Is it readable enough that I can manage with this warning, carefully reading the rules and a few games with veterans, or will I have to double-check everything?

quote:

The normal community have this horrid sense of when something is broken, it means it's going through changes and stop playing that model to actually figure out how to kill it.
Again, I don't understand this. So they tend to cry broken and whine instead of developing new tactics, or what?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What exactly do I need to play? Do I need all the books, or is there some comprehensible rulebook with only the rules/stats? I know there's a full rulebook and a cheaper one, as well as a downloadable pdf that all but says "here's a free rulebook but god forbid you read examples or actually use it to play" :psyduck:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I've seen fragments... is there actual fluff that's not stories? Because I usually skip them.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Are "alternative masters" only different sculpts, or do they have different stats like in Warmachine?

Also, I found the Pull My Finger wiki, seems good, is it actually a good Malifaux resource?

VVV: Might be speaking out of my rear end about WMH then, I meant the p/eCaster thing. Wasn't aware they also had alternate sculpts. Thanks.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 28, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I meant it as in this version of Ramos vs this one (not the Avatar minis). Are these simply different minis with the same stats?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, thanks for clarifying.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

enri posted:

One of the draws for me for Malifaux was the skirmish size of games
That's what I was saying before I had 5000 points of Infinity (an average-large army is 300). And now a "friendly" (that was a clever scheme, I'm onto you) goon is sending me a Leveticus starter. I'm afraid :ohdear:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 2, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I have a history of starting new games with weird & quirky armies so I'm fine with it. Anything to recommend in addition to the starter? Another Waif, then what? That huge construct made from SPAbominations? (do I have to buy it in a list, or just assemble it in the field and gently caress the points?) What else? I have no idea what goes well with this master.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh god that list :stonk: you weren't kidding.

From what I've seen most (if not all) things Levi can take are undead/mechanical/magical/otherwise "not normally living". Is it worth getting Ramos's stuff for him? I'd like to buy Ramos as something easier to play before I go deeper into Levi (is this sane, or is Ramos another weird master?).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dominion posted:

That is another thing to consider before starting Ramos: Do you enjoy building, painting, and playing with, oh, say, a dozen tiny robo-spiders? How about magnetizing them so they can go from individual 30mm bases to 50mm swarms of 3? If not, do not play Ramos.
This is actually 70% of the reason for me picking Ramos! Clockwork bots all the way. And yes, I will be magnetizing the spiderbots so the swarms can split. As for Hoffman, I'm 50/50 on the Guild bots (I like the Peacekeeper and MechAttendant and... that's about it) and very meh on playing Guild in general (I may pick the Relic Hunters box some day because those sad gentlemen enforcer models are too good to resist :allears: but that's it).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

enri posted:

So... how the hell does anyone even begin magnetising them? The best I could come up with was taking part of the base with them and magnetising that instead.
Exactly. My idea is to have a patially torn-up wooden floor, so I can have broken boards as individual spider bases that are at the same time disguised both on the main base (is it 40 or 50 mm?) and on the individual ones.

Another option is to pin the spiders to magnets, I think I've seen the official models pinned to the base by the body but I don't like how it looks, it's epoxy/tiny pins in the legs for me.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

LazyAngel posted:

Did a similar thing with my Ramos crew and his arachnids - each one is attached to a 'rock'
This is actually what inspired me, thanks for sharing the board floor idea!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm always torn when carrying models with fiddly bits like that. Do you leave room around it and risk it jostling around and snapping anyway, or do you pack it tightly to prevent movement and risk breaking it yourself when packing/unpacking it?
Magnetize the bases, carry them in a tin. A good treatment is to look at CA drone remotes from Infinity - you'll be thankful you don't have to deal with flowing tendrils and tiny acetate wings (yes, with separate metal wing covers) :suicide:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
We should probably put a "Trigger warning: spindly untransportable minis" here.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Who's a good master to start on if I hate the Guild/Necromancers?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, so just from a thematic/fluff standpoint, I'm looking at the following masters:
Ramos, Colette, Kaeris, Leveticus (yes I know but I already have him), maybe the Viktorias.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So it seems I'll be going with them in that order. I don't mind tiny spiderbots as long as I get to take something else as well :v: and I love the Collette minis/theme, so I'll definitely get them if I like the game.

BTW, what are the Colette models to get, apart from the starter? Coryphees? What else?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 8, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So it's all about "deny/block the main offensive force, ignore the rest and go grab objectives" with her?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So that's one set. What would be the equivalent for Ramos? I can get the starter + an Electrical Creation for cheap, so I'll probably start with that. Does he have any must-haves or obvious-synergy units (beyond the horde of tiny robot spiders)?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The keyword is "cheap", I'm not losing anything money-wise by buying the starter (or I can just hack the body, magnetize it and convert it into a second Large Arachnid). How many spiders would I need?
Also, where can I find the stats for Large Arachnids? Is it just me, or do the downloadable card list have holes in it?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 8, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So actually the cards aren't freely downloadable, it's only an errata?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What is this, Warmachine? o.O

MisterShine posted:

aRamos is great for his ability to just dump a never ending torrent of spiders on people. Its like he read into the forums' greatest fears and just dumped buckets of it onto the population of Malifaux
I'm now imagining a lonely clockmaker goon spending nights filling a huge bag with tiny skittering robot spiders just so he can suddenly throw handfuls of them at people :allears: Thanks for that mental image!

VVV: I know, I was talking about the abbreviation. But thanks for clarifying the avatar issue.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 8, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xir posted:

I picked up a Colette starter yesterday because I like painting miniatures. While I was at the store, a friend of mine decided to give me a demo game. This was fairly entertaining, even if it has a high barrier to entry with regards to knowing who to activate when, what abilities to use, etc. I was told that the box was a good starting point, but that I would pretty quickly want to add some units to it. With that said, what are some good choices to add to a Colette gang? I know the Duet and the Mechanical Doves are considered pretty useful, how many of each should I get and what else should I look into?
Coryphees have a limit of 2, so you either buy 1 blister and magnetize them, or just buy 2 blisters and glue one as a duet. I'd like to hear about the others too. I'm planning the box + Coryphees + Doves + Angelica.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Buying cheap Kaeris (alone, no box) - yay or nay? Assuming I'm using Ramos/Colette. I thought the Gamins/Gunmen would be very handy.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I bought it anyway when I learned that the "rules manual" was actually Core Book 1.0 so I get the basic fluff for free.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
^^: Yes.

No, that's the old version of 1.5, identical to 1.5 except for the color, not the small yellow one with a Marshal.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 3, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Got my first actual (sort-of-demo) game yesterday. 18 SS Scrap, lists known before the game so I could read up on them, strategy and schemes drawn as normal.

My list was: Sonnia Criid, Purifying Flame (? - skeleton totem), Witchling Stalker, 2x Austringers. I played against: Viktorias, Freikorps Trapper, Freikorps Librarian.

The overall strategy for both of us was to minimize losses. My Schemes were Raid (announced) and assassinate one of the Viks. His (both announced) were Bodyguard and not to let my models into his DZ.

I was having problems at the start because of unfamiliar (i.e. abstract) terrain rules ("what the gently caress is a forest in Malifaux?"), which actually turned out to my advantage when I learned how fun it was to park an Austringer in a stretch of forest or behind a rock and sic a bird on them. I put a lot of heat on the Viks, unfortunately my poor deployment (I had no idea what the totem was good for at the start) and the fact that Lady Luck decided to be an utter bitch in the crucial turn (no card over 5, and yes, I did discard a lovely hand earlier) cost me the entire flank. Another Austringer later I conceded, having pretty much no way to win/draw.

My thoughts about the match:
- I tend to forget triggers. They are there, use them.
- Using weird effects on own troops is fun. Test them first, Distract is useless on own units.
- I have to learn the flow, the Vikis' ability to haul rear end surprised me. Move here, sling the other one with Sisters in Spirit, the other one activates, moves and attacks twice. I'll have to get back into the alternate-activation mentality.
- Missions uber alles. The "minimize losses" strategy was pretty eye-opening, as it set the stage for a very different game than what I was used to. It's hard to remember that having your whole army killed can mean absolutely nothing.
- Setting LOS blocks is fun, especially when you do it to a sniper.
- Motherfucker! I totally forgot that the librarian had Ca constantly boosted with the discarded card, making her a valid target for Magic Seeker No she didn't, that only adds the suit. Another thing to keep track of.

So far I'm interested and want more. I'll probably get my crew next week (Ramos + Kaeris), so I'll start playing on my own. That said, the Guild looks like fun even if I don't like the fluff/models.

ed: Also, holy crap are those mold lines horrible, coming from Infinity :(

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 5, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The totem was half-useless, but likely due to bad positioning on my part, I could use some indirect blasting. What does the Effigy do? (I'll be playing Arcanists, so my totem's more likely to be a Toolkit or a flight of doves).
And the Austringers were awesome.

Also, this video helped me A LOT.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 6, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah, triggers seem important. And I've already learned that + flips are good if you want to attack your own model for some reason and mitigate the damage Same with cheating lovely cards into target's defense.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 7, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick newbie question: if red joker for damage flip = severe + flip next card and add Dg, do I get to cheat fate on the next card (the one added to the joker)?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

No. It's not technically a second flip, it's just another flip's worth of damage. You can't get +flip or -flip on the second one either.
Thanks. I figured it might be a bit OP, but I wanted to clarify if it's a kind of to the flip, or some special case. The latter it is then.

VVV: Yes, I knew this.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 10, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
How do Ten Thunders function as a separate faction?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
How do they play, what are they focused on, strengths/weaknesses, the works.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Painting/fluff question: What the hell are those tentacles on the Electrical Creation supposed to be? The studio model has them painted like a cloth sack and I haven't seen anything about it in the fluff.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
$100? There's your problem right there. I've seen super-limited pre-production runs (like alt aSonnia) go for less.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Fix, can you get those guys to post the art from the cards if they don't plan to sell any more decks? It looks awesome.
(I don't mean cards for printing or anything, just the character/unit drawings)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 19, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Aaaand Guild continues the campaign to discourage me from starting them. gently caress the Ghost Rider marshalls, I liked the old "slightly creepy" aesthetic that didn't scream "we're all necromentic superheros :downs: ".
I'm not concerned about Colette, because I like the metal models enough to not care about resculpts (I'm a bit concerned about the model quality, or lack thereof, Wyrd can't do metals). However, the new resculpts are 2 bad boxes to 1 good (maybe because Raspy's old ice models were utter crap). We'll see.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
On the other hand, Wyrd is wyrd and a lot of people like it for its quirky style, even if it's creepy. Toning it down may cause them to look elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

December’s Pawn: This model may treat the Black Joker as the Red Joker.
Yummy.