Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've been a Warmachine/Hordes player for a while, but my local meta is basically dead.

Quite a few at my FLGS play Malifaux and it looks fun, so I'm looking into it.

Hired Swords has caught my eye. Mainly because the Viktorias seem like a certain set of twins in Hordes that I like to play.

I know the Hired Swords box isn't at the point level the average games are played at, but I figured I can buy more models after I figure if I want to dive all the way in or not.

What else will I need to play besides a fate deck and the rulebook? The OP is a little sparse and seems outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. I'll be placing an order here short-like.

I'm probably going to skip the starter box, as the price is a bit steep for me for basically one model. I'll probably trawl ebay looking for Angel Eyes as a single though.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Coming from Warmachine, the painting requirements aren't all that scary to me.

Sure, they weren't any requirements in Warmachine, but at least Malifaux doesn't have any 10-15 model units that are soul-crushing to paint.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does Wyrd generally do reprintings of things? Or if they do a run are they just done forever?

I ask because I just started and I'm trying to find a 2e Rules Manual (the smaller, compact one) and it's drat near impossible to find.

I'd just get the full size one, but that's not exactly handy to carry around.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Reset by Peer posted:

Does anyone know what is up with the Crew Creator on Wyrd's website?

It's listed on the resource page but the link goes to "under construction" page. It's been like that for a few months now.

Are there any good 3rd party army builders for Malifaux out there? I know I can make a spreadsheet or just use pen and paper, but I've been spoiled by stuff like the War Room app for Warmachine or the xwing-builder...

I use this.

Works well enough for me. It even has an owned models setting so only stuff that you have shows up.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The retro deck is almost impossible to get now.

I have the Arcanist's deck, and while it looks dumb, imo, it's the only one available.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone know if a reprint of the Retro deck will happen? I love the aesthetic, but I only started playing a few months ago so I missed the timeframe to actually get one.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

It's a little late for that. There was about two weeks of voting or so that just ended and the black graphic deck beat the new retro.

Bummer. While that black one looked cool it was way too "busy" IMO. I think it would be tough to read at a glance during the game.

We already have a graphically overdesigned deck in the form of the Arcanist's deck(s). I was hoping for something simple.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Link? I wasn't aware of any new Arcanist-themed fate deck. Or did you mean the Arcane one?

I meant Arcane decks. I messed up the exact name.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

This might be because I'm relatively new, but the black joker mechanic is getting on my nerves.

There's no way to plan for it or strategize around it outside of assuming every flip is going to fail or somehow getting it in your hand and holding on to it the entire game.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

A friend of mine explains that the reason he likes the card mechanic over dice is that it makes probabilities very easy to ballpark, but almost impossible to know exactly on the fly. It lets you strategize and control it to some degree without being able to turn it into a deterministic math exercise.

From my limited experience it's extremely difficult to ballpark the probabilities. There's a 1 in 54 (minus cards in hand and cards flipped so far) chance of just getting boned. Especially when it seems certain beneficial mechanics like positive flips actually increase the chances of getting screwed since the black joker overrides everything.

It just feels like you have to play excessively conservatively unless the black joker has already been seen in the turn since any flip could fail.

But it could just me being sour due to confirmation bias. A fair amount of my last games played have been lost due to key flips pulling up a black joker.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ugleb posted:

It seems to be a thing with Malifaux that people often paint their base rims in faction colours. Any particular reason to do this?

Probably just holdover from the transparent colored bases you can buy. Most likely just to keep them all looking similar.

I personally keep the rims black. I'm a refugee from Warmachine and I got sick of needing to paint half of every base for marking front arcs.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just picked up the Hamelin box. What's the bigass cloud of bodies for?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Wazzu posted:

One of the oddest thing about the game is how you need to achieve objectives, not just kill people.

But boy is it so much easier to achieve your objectives when the enemy are all dead.

That's why I play Viktorias mostly. They have a hard time scoring VP if they're dead.

Last game I had everything of my opponent's dead on my first activation of turn 3.

He put his master too far up on turn one and forgot one can launch Viktoria of Blood across half the table. It helped that it was a Shifting Loyalties game and I was able to give her fast and another +flip on attacks from upgrades, as well as using a Student of Conflict that got injured and healed back as a construct for Vanessa to abuse.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I ended up winning a Kirai box. A pretty, translucent one too.

I've been solely an Outcast player since I started. What should be my next buys so I can field a decent crew with Kirai?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Thanks for the tips.

I recently picked up Leveticus. So far I've been mainly using Von Schill and Viktorias. I'm trying to spread my playstyle past simply "kill everything".

I recently got a Bete Noir from a promotion, so it will be nice being able to actually use her.

When you say build the 4 horsemen do you mean a list using all 4 of them? Because that sounds cool as hell.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Well, the starter doesn't come with a rule book, per-say. It comes with the ability to download a pdf of the rules manual.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Forgotten Marshall is nutty good with Kirai, like holy poo poo does he become one of the highest mobility pieces in the game with her, the amount of movement and swapping shenanigans they get up to is obscene. They have good synergy and Madness Calls + Lonely Assassin is a brutal combo if you can land it, especially with the trigger on his melee.

Searching for Forgotten Marshal only pulls up the pullmyfinger entry. I'm assuming it's not out in plastic yet and it's drat near impossible to find an old metal model.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

He's a book 3 model, so he's never been in metal/isn't yet available in plastic. He seems pretty cool but I'm sticking with a no proxies policy myself (excepting at a stretch, avatars for Emissaries even though plastic Emissaries haven't hit yet).

The Henchmen that runs all local events is extremely draconian when it comes to conversions and proxies.

While the gaining grounds ruleset says conversions of unreleased models are fine as long as they're easily identifiable and a certain % Wyrd product. Our Henchmen is official models only, no leeway. He thinks it would be too confusing otherwise. He also said he'd ban the old metal ones if he could.

Sucks for our local Neverborn player that actually has some really good changeling conversions.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It won't be McCabe, but there's good news for you.

It sounds like the them for Ten Thunders in the next book is going to be Oni.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The whole "kill someone/thing and bring it back enthralled to you" is a staple of Resurrectionists, not just Seamus. It's also a key thing of any fantasy setting with undead lead by someone. It's not unique to Seamus, or Malifaux.

It's really no worse than Leveticus killing people and cobbling them back together as abominations or Ressers forcing cave-ins to make more Crooked Men.

That being said it took me a bit to actually take the step into Malifaux due to the model design, but it was more the grotesque nature of many of them. Stuff like Yin the Penangalan that's literally a head on a pile of guts.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

The 2E model for Taelor is pretty good/she's wearing clothes, and after reading her Shifting Loyalties story she might be one of my favorite characters. But I'm on the fence because while I quite like the Viks and Taelor from the character perspective, I'm not a huge fan of the Ronin that also come in the box.

I thought the same way. So I picked up the old metal ronin. They're way better looking and usually pretty inexpensive. I got mine for $6 on clearance.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That thread is a friggin rat's nest

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Has anyone gotten the plastic Night Terrors?

I'm having issues figuring how to put #3 and #4 on their stone pillar stands, and #3's pillar isn't exactly intuitive to assemble.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/plastic-build-instructions/2016/4/10/night-terrors

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

My LGS has an iPad register and no paper receipts :negative:

I'll keep an eye out for they Black Friday stuff, thanks.

If they have an "email receipt" option it works too. They've accepted mine fine in the past.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Parker crew models are so nice.

I didn't get the box when Gencon was happening, and with no release date/month so far I can only hope they'll be on sale for Black Friday.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm playing Outcasts in a local slow-grow league and I'm getting absolutely messed up by Performers/Coryphee/Colette.

What options do I have to attempt to counter them? I instinctively went with Taelor due to her Relic Hammer, but not being able to charge them is problematic. I also can't just ignore them and play the schemes because of their insane mobility and teleporting shenanigans.

Best other options I've thought of is Convict Gunslingers or other shooting and just plink them to death.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

What does your crew look like? If you have the Viks, they seem tailormade for hunting Coryphee, with Mark allowing Blood to ignore Armor, and place actions to zip you around the board. Bishop is an excellent Outcast piece in general, and very fast when you factor in that third AP, even with a Wk 4 (also has a Ch 7!), plus he can get a trigger that ignores Armor (and with Adaptive, can get it automatically). Vanessa (especially if you're running Viks) is also nice, as she brings some nice abilities to the board, plus an ability to temporarily control Coryphee.

I'm actually mainly playing Viks. We have a weird main crew and sideboard thing going on. Once a model is in your main crew it's locked, but your sideboard can change each week and you use it to pull stuff in for certain matchups/strategies.

Vanessa and Student of Conflict are already in my crew, but I have 40 points of sideboard to play around with.

Part of the problem is that many of the tables we play on are like 80% difficult terrain with bridges and stuff (swamp themed stuff) so anyone without unimpeded or place effects is screwed.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah, all the ones with the bonus mini will have the sticker.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there any ETA on the normal release of the stuff that's on presale? I'm debating on getting Parker Barrows and some bandits, but if it's not that far out I'd rather give money to my LGS.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Abyssinia seems to take some inspiration from Marvel's Wakanda.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So my FLGS is having an interesting tournament coming up.

Two player teams, each player has to have different masters and factions. (So nothing like Outcasts Tara + Ressers Tara).

I play Outcasts, and my partner has Ten Thunders. Now we just have to figure out two crews that will synergize well.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The sad thing is that we both only kind of dabble in Malifaux and don't have our faction's full rosters.

I have: Viktorias, Von Schill, Leviticus, and Parker Barrows
He has: Sensei Yu, McCabe, and Brewmaster

Our Henchmen hasn't even gotten the point-values to us yet. So I have no clue if it's something like each gets 50ss or if we have something like a certain amount to share.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has anyone gotten any sort of shipping confirmation for their Black Friday order? Does Wyrd typically send one or does it just show up at your house one random day?

They sent me a shipping confirmation. The box itself also showed up today.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

AFAIK they process stuff on a first-come first-serve basis. My order was placed on the first night, so that may be why it showed up so quick.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So my Black Friday shipment had a "full art" Hoffman card in it. Is it worth anything?

I'm also ready for Outcasts to get some more alternate sculpts. I've gotten a handful of mystery boxes and now I'm sitting on a Firestarter, Bayou Gremlin, and Witchling Handler I'll never use.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The new alternate Lazarus looks way nicer than the current one. Here's hoping it won't be a bitch to get.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

Gotcha. I thought these models were all going to be like the one piece aionius

That Aionius was multiple pieces, just pre-assembled.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I noticed that all the Dead Outlaws are only wearing one boot. Is there some sort of superstition or something regarding boots that Wyrd chose to go with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Razzled posted:

I got a Ten Thunders box! Ended up picking Shenlong's. I really wanted to get Mei Feng but only for her, I didn't like the way the rail workers looked. Plus Sensei Yu is awesome.

Weird and also lucky/cool thing? The box had a Katanaka Sniper and card for it also... pretty sure that's not normal right? It was sealed too, so IDK

Also got a lone swordsman, will be interesting learning to play against my friend's Lucius

There was a monthly promo a while back that had Shenlong boxes include a Katanaka sniper.Where you bought it probably had that box hanging around since then.