Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
FFFF, drat my laziness at not jumping on making this thread. This game has been my obsession for the last couple of months!

For a good teaching crew, get the Perdita set. Perdita does her cool stuff via point-and-shoot but drat she is good at shooting. Also most of her crew are companions which will demonstrate how horrible an entire crew activatation at once.

Right now this is my crew I am building (though our FLGS usually plays 30 point matches)

Neverborn Crew - 35 - Scrap

Zoraida, the Hag -- 8 Pool

• Doppelganger [8ss]
  • Mature Nephilim [10ss]
  • Nurse [6ss]
  • Papa Loco [7ss]

Zoraida can summon voodoo dolls which are totems that choose a target in line of sight when they come into play. As long as the doll is right near Zorida, she can cast on the target no matter where or how far it is. The big ability for Zorida is her huge willpower and Obey which lets you perform a (1) action or a charge on the target. Her doll can also cast it (since it's Zorida's totem) and so can the Doppelganger (by copying the skill)!

So the following turn becomes doable. Mature Neph activates next to the group. Melee stuff three times. On next activation, have Doppleganger copy Obey and cast it on Mature Neph for another attack. On next activation, have Zorida companion her doll and have it go first (when it was summoned, target the Neph). Have it cast Obey on Neph for another attack. Have Zorida go immediatly next. Have her cast Obey using Casting Expert on the Neph (she could be around the corner casting through the doll) to have it attack again. Zorida summons another Doll which targets the Neph. It activates right after it was summoned and have it cast Obey on the Neph again for another attack.

Best thing about casting Obey on your own people is you can have the defender just take the spell (you still flip for the resist duel, but you can automatically can call for a tie which means the defender loses)

I started with Dreamer, trying to pull myself away from temptations of the Alp bomb (which was errated to not be of an instant win) but found the mobility of Zorida alone with her deck manipulation (she can use the top card of the Discard pile as a card again. Especially nice when you cheat out a red joker for an obey and then use the same red joker for a Hex which removes a talent or ability from a model)

She can also use Obey on Papa Loco (who can be hired since he has < 4 will power) to make him run a really far distance into a tight pack and cause him to blow himself up several times.

The Nurse is there to give her dosed shots to Papa Loco since he can shrug off the "Sacrifice at end of turn" effect.

For the OP, mention that unlike WH40K, the company erratas constantly instead of waiting for the next codex. It sucks to keep up with it, but it prevents people from exploiting a mechanic for too long

If anyone lives around the NOVA area, let me know because I can demo a game for you around Falls Church, VA

edit: also looking forward to Sue for Zorida :)

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sticky Beethoven posted:

In almost all cases, holding onto the red joker for more than a turn or two is a bad idea. The quicker you play it, the more likely it is to come up again for further benefit.

That said, because it's so gosh darn good, you want to use it where it will extract the best result possible. Picking these crucial moments is a vital gaming skill, one I'm still working on myself. I would submit that the red joker's wild suit makes it extremely nasty in conjunction with spellcasters with high-cost, high-return spells or characters that rely on triggers and this is probably what you should be looking at rather than its high numerical value.

EDIT: All this ties into ponderings I've had about what is referred to in the Magic: the Gathering metagame as Card Advantage. Much like in Magic, I'm fairly confident that Card Advantage is one of the most powerful strategies in Malifaux, although for different reasons. While the topic is worth more discussion than just this one post, suffice to say that the ability to improve the quality of your hand beyond random chance owns bones because it not only enables your crew to do the things that they do well more often, it stops your opponent from doing the things that they do well at the same time. At any rate, a useful corollary to all the above is that the more draw-related abilities you can use, the faster you should use the Red Joker.

This is why I enjoy playing Zorida. Her abilities remind me so much of blue magic in mtg with all of her deck and card manipulation.

I also never hold unto red joker's for long because I consider any flip drawing me nearer to my objectives the perfect moment. On the other hand, I do hold unto black joker's because I do hate seeing them flipped.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 30, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Now that I looked back on my previous game, I would have killed Myranda if I waited a turn or until she was activated

I got a voodoo doll summoned able to see Myranda in LOS. I went and transformed her with Obey into the Jackalope, Marcus' totem, just so the player would have to waste a 0 ability on her.

The Voodoo Doll, at the end of the turn gives it's target Poison 2 which deals 2 damage on the next activation reducing the poison to 1 (but Voodoo resets it back to 2, repeat until doll is dead).

If I waited until Myranda activated, giving her no chance to change back at the beginning of her next activation as a Jackalope, she would instantly die from the 2 Poison.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Eyespy posted:

I thought Myranda could only turn into a beast you actually had the model for. I'm sure it's cool in a friendly game but I can't see that happening in a competitive setting unless you just happened to have your own model.

It was a friendly game and I JUST saw that ruling. So yes, it was illegal but I don't think I'll buy a Jackalope any time soon. Not sure Myranda is all too popular in the competition field.

Our Henchman is trying to get us to play faster which I can do. It's just there are some people who overthink their strategy and spend up to 5-10 minutes coming up with a move.

If you ever find yourself doing this, then read the pull my finger wiki whenever you want. It will probably tell you, in general, what that master will do so you know not to touch any structure when you are near Rasputina or go nuts trying to kill Leviticus without a backup plan for the waifs.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
So has anyone seen Lelu and Lilitu used to great effect besides Nekima making Lili really broken* (Which was errated out)?

If you wanted to know what make Nekima broken was her Neph Heart 0 ability always gave Lili an extra mask which always made her Lure;s trigger, which is cast Lure again, until a resist was made. Lure says make a melee attack on the thing if it's close enough after the push so you could Lure something to death from 18 inches away.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 31, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Eyespy posted:

I want to put Sue on my Christmas list, but this will involve explaining to elderly relatives how to purchase a specific 'toy soldier' including providing detailed instructions and a map.

Eyespy, please put this awesome piece of work in the OP. It's pretty awesome bit-work

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Elfface posted:

I've wanted to play this for a little bit, but keep having problems. My usual group's usual store is changing warehouses, and generally struggling to import certain Wyrd items. One of my potential opponents didn't receive the scultped bases he wants to put the minis on, and I bought the Lilith box set, but never managed to get Young Nephilim.
(The Terror Tot Nephilim can grow into Young Nephilim, which can in turn grow into Mature Nephilim by spending Blood tokens from defeated enemies or, if you field Lilith, soulstones. Lilith's starter box comes with three terror tots and one mature, but no Young ones.)

So, we've got armies in various states of incompleteness. Still, hopefully we'll be able to get a game in eventually.

One thing that you did not consider is your Tots and Young can gain blood counters by killing any model, not just enemies.

One build I played against uses a bunch of tots, Nekima, and a Black Blood Shaman along with the sacrifices extra help of Desperate Mercenaries who die really easy and can heal flip when they die on Nek or Shaman after they use Blood Offering.

Also only play this if you hate money since Nek is really drat expensive.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 4, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
I played a game today with my first experience with the Zorida Avatar

code:
Neverborn Crew - 35 - Scrap

Zoraida, the Hag -- 6 Pool
+ Zoraida, Avatar of Fate [2ss]

Doppelganger [8ss]
Gunsmith [7ss]
Gunsmith [7ss]
Mature Nephilim [10ss]
Opponent was playing
code:
Outcasts Crew - 35 - Scrap

Ophelia Lacroix -- 5 Pool
2 Young Lacroix [4ss]

Bayou Gremlin [2ss]
Francois Lacroix [5ss]
Pere Ravagé [5ss]
Pigapult [4ss]
Rami Lacroix [6ss]
Raphael Lacroix [6ss]
Slop Hauler [4ss]
Strategy was Recon for me, Slaughter for him.

He positioned his gremlins out of line of sight as much as they could. Their strategy was walk out, take a shot, and reckless to move back out of sight of Zorida and her Voodoo Doll. It was funny due to the fact that later in the game, it was like Zorida was the Sun and the gremlins were hiding from her in the shadows of the houses.

Did Doll up the Pere which I used it's self detonate to do five damage to it but the gremlin next to him actually got the defense roll off.

Sent my mature in but then I was taught that Dumb Luck triggers are NASTY, and he had lots of Ram cards. For a quick explanation, Dumb Luck doubles the amount of damage output of the weapon and does half to the person who triggered it. I thought I could withstand one shot but it turns out that is the Lacroix trait; they all get double damage!

The Neph did get some good swipes in and Zorida had stuff taking poison damage, thought I was all well and good with negating the Slaughter. This was not the case as he would load he Gremlins up on the Pigapault and launch them over on the next turn. If they survived, they would be able to get up close to the Obey army. If they failed the toss, they would splatter on impact but would not be counted as something I killed. :suicide:

At the end of the game, I killed 2 gremlins while he tossed about 5 over my way that died on impact.

I got Zorida's pre-reqs off and turned her into Avatar form on the third turn.

This was the first time I tried her Avatar and I found she loses her ability to move very fast but gains even more abilities to just control the cards. Look at a random 1 or 2 cards in a player's hand, let any unit (not just Zorida) use the top discard card for the flip, and draw 1/2/3 cards with her healing spell if she already has enough spells.

What was really awesome was her double obey trigger. If she gets double mask on the a non-resisted obey, she is able to obey the same target again. Fun times with the Voodoo Doll, crazy times with a Mature Neph charging/attacking twice per turn without activate.

The star of the show, was the Doppleganger. The more I play her/him/it/blobbert, the more I think of ways to break it. Get the Gunsmith's guns while absorbing the Voodoo Doll's 8 DF? Sure. Absorb Zorida Avatar Obey along with her awesome double trigger? Why not?!

The Doppleganger kept all the Gremlins back out of one quarter of the board because she kept taking the puppet's defense and Zorida's Obey.

The problem was that my Dopple finally fell and only a Gunsmith and a Zorida lived. The Wicked Doll is usually Insignificant, but it can drop that tag when within 3 inches of Zorida. The game was almost done and our local henchman said that Zorida could summon a Wicked Doll. He lent me his copy to let me use (it was a friendly match. He and my opponent wanted to see it happen).

Zorida was stuck in a river and couldn't use any General AP to get out, else she could not make the Doll. I had to try to estimate where the center line of the board was. You are not allowed to measure the board in the game, but you could eyeball it.

Summoned the Wicked Doll past what I thought was the line, but within 3 inches of Zorida (easy to do since you need to measure the 6 inches of the max range of the summon. Measure 3 inches out and toe the Doll in within influence of Zorida).

This is what it looked like.

Turns out, the halfway line of the board clipped through Zorida's right side. So no matter how HAPPY the wicked doll was, it was still a failure.

When the Torrential Rainstorm (the event for the encounter) finally let up, what was left was tons of smeared gremlins littering the countryside as far as the eye could see.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 6, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Sticky Beethoven posted:

How big is she? Larger than Lord Chompy?

Normal Chompy, like twice the size almost. Nightmare Edition Chompy, no.

You can pretty much compare it to the size of the Mature Neph to the left.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Eyespy posted:

Everyone is aware that Nekima got an errata recently? Check here.

Yes, made the Filth list less filthy :)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Assembled a Marcus Crew and a Kaeris crew.

Eff the Razorspine Rattler and it's curvy bitch of a tail and how the hell do you attach the Raptor to the rocks?

Might be starting a podcast soonish. Any suggestions? We have a couple of ideas of what not to do from many other podcasts (bored broadcasters mainly)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Randalor posted:

The only problem I've found with Malifaux so far, is that a decent number of Masters don't work well in 25 point starter box games. Ramos needs more steampunk arachnids, McMourning needs Canine Remains and possibly more Flesh Constructs, Nicodem needs lots of undead for Reanimator and Arise, Seamus needs more Rotten Belles, Kirai needs more of her spirits... Well, I think you get the point. I know in friendly games, as long as you have the books, there should be no problem with proxying, but it's still kind of annoying to like a master, pick up the master, and then realize you need another 10 or 20 miniatures to use him/her without proxying.

That being said, has anyone heard anything about Puppet Wars? It's Wyrd's spinoff boardgame/miniatures game.

Edit: I thought Lucius had 2 Guild Guard in his starter, he only has one. Removed line about his starter box being technically unplayable.

Though I am just glad making a crew so it works nicely only costs an additional 10 or 20 dollars unlike GW games.

Just to protect my opinion I know this does not hold true to Nicodem who needs a bunch of different types of undead to summon to be fun you can still play a good match without a wide selection.

I did not play a huge game last night (played a small 20 ss teaching match instead) but someone and myself made an interesting map.

He made a circle of ruined building with a two rows of trees going down the middle. I decided this was the perfect time to show our patriotic duty.

I present to you The Capitol of Malifaux

http://imgur.com/VZHf2

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 10, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Binbag posted:

I think the key word, is starter.

Some are a bit lovely, and a couple drop an excellent 25 stone crew in your lap.

On another note, two of my mates are dead keen to be shown some Malifaux. This is a good thing. But, and I don't know how to say this without sounding like a right prick, one of them is a bit slow on the uptake and has real trouble with stats and abilities and things. There's nothing the matter with him, he's just not that mentally agile and is extremely argumentative.

Any ideas about the best way to demo the game to him ? For a bit of history, I have known him for almost 20 years and we met when I worked in GW and was teaching him WFB. I almost got sacked that day it went so well. I think I have more patience these days, but I can honestly say he has not changed a bit over the years.

I don't even know where to start.

If he already knows how wargaming works, the best way is to have a 20SS match with some easy crews like Perdita or Lady J; masters that don't have to be used in a certain way to be exploited.

Just make sure to let him know how card flipping works; how a strike is different from a spell, "cheat a card THEN soulstone", you can always cheat a card down for a trigger, and the basics that new people don't really get.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Eyespy posted:

For those not following Wyrd Games on Twitter:

Nightmare Editions? Miss Pack variants? Unsold copies of Book 1?

Watch this space.

I will pay dirty amounts of money for a chance at a nightmare chompy

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
So it looks like I'll be able to play less-than-dirty amounts of money for my dream fig!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

dexefiend posted:

OK, so my friends are playing this, but I have no idea how many points they are playing.

Who is the biggest rear end in a top hat master in the game? I am thinking something like Cryx from Warmachine.

Any help? Black Friday Sale still going on on Miniature Market, so I am thinking about ordering in the next 1 hour 15 minutes.

I think Leviticus (what, I'm dead. All according to plan!), Von Schill (guess what, I'm going to shoot and fly over this house now so yiu cant shoot me back), and Zorida who can possibly control another enemy or her own crew with three obeys with just her and her totem which gets even better when she sees something during the doll totem creation where then she can cast on the enemy even if it tries to hide out of los. Also Zorida's unique abilities of looking at the top three cards of any deck and rearranging the order, turning into a bird and running away at ten inches of flying movement, plus being able to "play" two high red jokers with bayou two card.

Another unexpected master would be Ophelia and the LaCroix who can do can double the damage they do as long as they take the regular damage.

Dreamer used to be very trolly with the alp bomb but everyone would not want to play you if that's all you played.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 26, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

kilran posted:

I understand that this problem has now been addressed.

Thus the past tense of "use" :)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
So here is the start of how to creature the Lord Chompy Bits cruise missle

quote:

The Dreamer and 2 Daydreams Companion(DD1 and DD2) [Remember, when you Companion models you chose which one of them can activate first, so the Dreamer can companion both Daydreams and then have one of them activate before him].
You then activate Daydream #1 (DD1) and move forward. [+6"]

DD1 then unburies LCB with Magical Extensioned Frightening Dream [+6"]
DD1 then turns LCB back into the Dreamer with Calm Nightmares

My question is why the One Master ability where the unburied Master immediately activates is ignored when the DD1 unburies LCB. From how the ability is worded it sounds like immediately means it will interrupt the DD1 after it casts Frightening Dream before it can cast Calm Nightmares.

I play Dreamer and I've done this hop, but I want to make sure I am legal in doing it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Binbag posted:

My Missus wants me to buy and paint a second crew for her as a birthday gift, and she's settled on Lilith.

Thinking a box, a blister of youngs, Lelu & Lilutu and a Cherub should be a decent jump off point. Do we reckon this is going to give her enough options for growing tots etc ? Or anyone got any other suggestions ?

Got the colour scheme sorted, just need to figure out what to daub it onto now.

Nekima can make the terror tots speed demons by always adding an additional 5" of movement to Sprint. Nekima is basically the neph farmer making tot and young fancy. She does cost over 30 bucks, but she is worth it if you plan to grow ya own Mature Neph.

A very good addition since you have a bunch of nephs is a Black Blood Shaman. Talk about buffing to hell and back. Just read up on it and just nod your head slowly.

For the twins, I like running 2 Lelu and 1 Lili. Lelu is an utter boss with it's Poison 2. Poison 2 spread around the other team means that there is a good chance the Lelus are going to freak out with it's bonus to attack when it attacks something with 5 life or less. Also Poison gets around that annoying Spirits halve all damage because the Poison deals direct Wnds not Dmg.

Also two Lelus make sure Lili is always topped off in health from regens.

Pick the twins when you go up against Ressurectionists. They are both Nightmares so no corpse counters. Even against other Neverborn, they don't give Blood Counter to help the other side.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 4, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

dexefiend posted:

I am digging them so far! This is Primed, Base Coated, and QuickShaded. I am going for speed on these, and 4 guys in two evening sessions is a pretty good pace for me.

After I have all my guys QuickShaded, I will Dullcote them in one batch. Then it is just highlights and touchups.

What do you guys think for 1 guy an hour (after priming, and airbrushing bases in large batches)?

wow. just wow. do you do commissions? I would be interested to get one model done by you.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

dexefiend posted:

(I have yet to play the game.) I am just painting at the moment. I have just read a lot of whiny forums posts. According to them, the Ortegas are quite good against Hamelin.

My friends are all doing this Warmachine Journeyman thing at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to play.

Also, the pajama kid is only at the very start of painting. Just skin and a first attempt at pajamas.

Ortega's are good against Hamelin for the following reasons.

1) Most of them have a really high willpower or have stubborn which gives them +2 to WP when they defend in duels. All of Hamelin's crew targets WP.
2) Papa Loco has very low WP but will charge in (with help from Perdita's Obey) and get snuggly with your hordes of rats. He'll probably target rats that are not close to a rat catcher.
3) All the Ortega's can make an awesome firing line with lots of gunplay and area suppression or multiple attack triggers preventing rats from advancing if they so wish.
4) Never doubt the power of a full Family (which are all the Perdita's and whatever Abuela decides who should be part of the Family) companioned attack turn if any of your key models are not together.
5) Also most of the Ortega's have Shrug Off which means drop a counter or effect they have. Putting counters and effects on characters is pretty much Hamelin's thing.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ Sent you a PM with the details. If we play this saturday, i'll let you know.

dexefiend posted:

OH MY loving GOD, NOW THAT THE GOOP IS DRY I AM LIKE making GBS threads MY PANTS.

HE LOOKS loving AMAZING AARRGGGGH! ITS AMAZING WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUSH YOUR BOUNDARIES.

Ok, this is probably the best looking mini I have ever painted.

Wow, you can really take that out of context when you say that about a picture of a small child. Even the part about the goop.

Are you going to bend the slingshot back up so it looks like one?

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 9, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
So to bump this thread and also to start some conversation, I thought a neat idea would be list tricks for a master and to tell people how to counter them.

Dreamer/Lord Chompy Bits

People love ragging on this guy as impossible to stop, but I've seen people deal with him okay.

Also to add some tricks for people who might be a tiny bit interested in playing him.

Tips

The first couple purchases for Dreamer are Daydreams and, in my opinion, Lelu and Lilitu.

The twins are so divine that any Neverborn master can only benefit from them. With dreamer, I usually run 2 Lelu's and 1 Lilitu. Protect the Lili as much as you can. If Lili kicks it, try to send the Lelu's back underground and bring them back up when they need to kill something.

There are lots of great nightmares figurines, but you shouldn't just focus on just them.

Hooded Rider is great at keeping up with the Nightmare horde and can change depending on the situation. At the start of the game, start in Night so he cannot be targeted by ranged and then Chase the Sun into Morning when close to make all the enemies slow when they get hit by his saber. Use Mounted Combat to weave in and out of combat and since all movement during Mounted is a push, no disengaging strikes.

I am considering trying out Dopple to act like a nightmare buffer. With Dreamer out, I can suck out I Can Fly to move where the nightmares are, Shadowy Form so I cannot be targetted when snuggled up against a nightmare, and Rapid Eye Movement to give Lelu's an extra attack.

Know how to do the Alpha Strike. It's hard to get your head around at the start, but when you understand it, you can jump on just about any figure out of place.
Read about it on Dreamer's page on Pull My Finger http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/The+Dreamer

Now an easy way to counter Dreamer is the following

Exorcist - This guy is scaring me since my Lili, Lelu, and Lord Chompy just go insane mode with their triggers. Neverborn are not know for ranged attacks, so this guy is a good response if you expect I'm playing Dreamer

Kill my Daydreams over all my other nightmares. These Daydreams is what makes my crew work. If you kill one, I have to poo poo out another one by paying 2 soulstones because I need them all to keep up with maintenance. Poison them to make easy work of them.

Speaking of poison, poison on the Dreamer is a headache. His spirit characteristic does not counter the pure wounds poison deals. After that, I will have to heavily consider if I want to bring back Dreamer to risk the poison. If Dreamer is in this position, I will be relying on my Daydreams more than ever which should make them even a higher priority.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
There's going to be a tournament around Northern Virginia and it's 25pt

I have decided to do this one mean combo I found on the boards and run with it. Then try to add some survivability and things to order around

Neverborn Crew - 25 - Scrap

Zoraida, the Hag -- 5 Pool

• Desperate Mercenary [2ss]
  • Desperate Mercenary [2ss]
  • Doppelganger [8ss]
  • Insidious Madness [4ss]
  • Insidious Madness [4ss]
  • Stitched Together [5ss]

So the big combo is to group up the Dopple, Zorida, and a Stitched with a Insidious Madness close by hopefully giving something you are targeting a neg flip on willpower in it's aura.

During Dopple's turn, copy both Zorida's 10 WP, and the Stitched's Gamble Your Life action.

It is imperative to get the Madness' Psycho Episode off and next to thing you want dead.

Dopple now has a 10 with a flip that can be cheated against a very average 5-7 on a higher costed model that gets a negative flip which causes it not to be able to cheat. So when Dopple does it's Gamble Your Life where it's a Wp -> Wp duel, it has a huge leg up on winning. Good for killing minions quickly, less so with Master, but I have killed a Lilith with one activation of a Stiched once.

Really, it does not matter if the Dopple is in the aura of the Madness, as long it pulls Zorida's 10 WP, it's all gravy.

It feels weird to have a Zorida crew without something big of mine smacking on their side several times with multiple obeys, but if I can get the Madness over there, their resists will plummet.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterShine posted:

Still, kill the stitched and the main firepower of the crew is gone. Against a crew like Dreamer who are great at picking off models its quite the achilles heel. But I am far more used to 35SS games, so maybe im overestimating how quickly they could be taken down?

As for Daydreams, I always felt they should be bright and colourful and chompy should be the grimdark one. Bonus if you make him the same colours as the Daydreams but drag and dark versions of them.

It is either two madness one stitch or two stiched one madness.

I would love to have two of both, but 25 is very limiting.

\/ \/ \/ I've heard Pandora Avatar is not very fun to play with from the Malifaux boards (take that as you will). Sort of a paint, admire, and sit on the shelf. I will examine her more closely when I write an article on her model and see if this is actually true.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 30, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

TarDolphinorShark posted:

So Evir or anyone else who feels like chiming in. For that NoVA tourney coming up what would you reccommend for a 25ss Crew led by Ophelia? I've never really played other than teaching a few friends the game so I'm at a loss when it comes to putting together a crew other than one straight out of a starter box.

Really, the box set is awesome already for 25 pts. Get 2 or 3 young LaCroix (depending if you want less or more soulstones ) and you got yourself a really mobile and powerful gunline.

For those wondering what tourney he is talking about, its a 25 pt tourney at huzzah games mid Feb. I'll post the info when I get home

The url for the tourney in ashburn VA. Taking place on Feb 18th with a unique newbie/expert classification.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27613

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 3, 2012

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterShine posted:

aMarcus is goofy as gently caress

I saw Avatar Zorida in the link above and am going to order one.

She is AMAZING in avatar form after trying out another person's copy. She loses Raven form, but she gets obeys that can trigger another obey and the fact anyone can use her "I cheat this 13 down and use Bayou two card to use it for damage", not just her.

I do not like her voodoo dolls are destroyed when manifesting even though she keeps the ability to summon another voodoo doll in avatar form.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Wazzu posted:

Just relearned the game last night (ie. played dreamer for the first time). Confusing as hell, but a lot of fun. Mistakes were made, perdita was crushed under the weight of 4 enemies, coppelius was a terrifying monster and I learned a tiny bit about what can be done with these guys.

Am I right to think that having the whole crew on the board at any given time is silly? And that the dreamer and the daydreams should never try and deal damage, and just make the crew maneuverable?

Yes, the dreamer should never do damage unless he is trying to change into his avatar.

Just remember Dreamer's alpha strike (under LCB delivery on this page, which is a very good resource http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/The+Dreamer) and anything on the board within 13" to 30" away is under direct threat of your buried army/LCB.

Guild Austringer poking away with it's 18" range? Pop over Lord Chompy bits to give him a lovely how-de-doo and make your back back to where dreamer started.

One mention to keep in mind; while your nightmares (or anything) is buried all effects they are under do not end at the end of the turn and remain frozen. What this means is that Dreamer can buff something with flurry, nightmares can put themselves into defense stance, and the stitched's can put out their creepy fogs and, as long as they are buried before the end of turn, they will still have all those effects next turn.

It works and pisses the living hell out of people not familiar with the details.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 10, 2012

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterShine posted:

I feel like if effects carry over like that because youre buried and "out of play" effects like "i get my activation back because its a new turn" should also not happen if youre buried

If it didn't work like that, nightmares would just dip out of game to lose paralyse, poison, and slow.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterShine posted:

Ramos is ever the grumpy old man

You can join the unoffical Grumpy Old Man Malifaux club. You just have to buy the following masters

1) Ramos
2) Leviticus
3) Nicoderm
4) VonSchill

Also to bring something up.

If you are a Master of Malifaux and you see a Stitched pop Creepy Fog you cannot see through it. The smoke is only obscuring and not terrain which Master specifically refers to. This also confounds Hunter though if the Hunter pokes in within 3" of the Stitched inside, he can fire at him without the cover bonus.

Fog has the same rules as the Crooligan's Mist and something else on Rasputina's crew.

Ruling here: http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20035&highlight=creepy

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 24, 2012

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't like the painted whore look people give her where it looks like she used an entire can of eye shadow and lips made of sausages.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
So just to confirm with you all. Summoning and Dreamer's Frightening Dream placement of the model is different, correct. Summoning says the model base has to be fully contained in the 6" radius. Dream says placed within 6" so Lord Chompy can toe in the 6" radius and still have most of his base outside.

I started with doing Frightening Dream with the toe in until someone said it follows the same rules as summoning so I started summoning 6" within. But more and more people are saying that it the toe in is legal.

Input?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Had 3 wins tonight with Dreamer, all of them to concessions sadly

25pt crews for the upcoming tournament near NOVA, so the first crew was Lillith, a poo poo ton of terror tots, and a convict gunslinger.

Did the Chompy Shuffle and took out my protege target, the Gunslinger from one really cheated claws attack. Went and did a weak claws attack on a nearby tot and went back to deployment.

Lilith came up in front of me 3rd turn. Dreamer did his 0 spell, Inflict Dreams, cheated the hell out of it and came to a total of something like 32. Nevertheless, it went through. On my next activation, a nearby Stitched did the Gambler 0 action to draw more cards (really easy when Lilith is neg flip on WP) and then won Gamble Your Life flipping a Red Joker for 7 + another medium flip of 4. She prevented 1 of that point and he conceded.

Next fight was someone else who blustered around with Rasputina, playing conservatively. I haven't played him with Dreamer since I first got the box so I knew a bunch of tricks which he did not realize could be done. Chompy ain't like waiters. Dreamer cast Inflict Dreams again when he got close enough to Rasputina and Dreamer dropped Chompy within 3 of Rasputina for two claws attacks. First claw triggered onslaught which lead to another attack, and the last AP claw attacked triggered "All Done" which put Dreamer back which let Chompy return to start to turn back into Dreamer.

Second Rasputina fight, he played more aggressively going right up the middle making sure things had Armor. Before he got close, I charged in with the shuffle taking out a Silent One with one really good hit then pulled back. He got on the deck of the ship in the center of the board, much farther than I expected, and nuked a daydream then the dreamer. This brought back LCB along with the 3 Stitched's. One died, but he "Does Not Die" is really badass when you get a reactivation full of more Gamble Your Life's.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
So me and some people at our flgs made a malifaux website. Running it at http://soulstonesociety.com .

It has not been updated in the past week because we are getting painting in the pied piper tournament near here.

I am going to write an article about my dreamer going against Nicodem where Chompy was capturing objectives and successfully stole a relic from Nico with his subpar willpower.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devlan Mud posted:

So I got a Viktorias box a while ago, and now one of my friends is all gung-ho into starting Malifaux and playing with me, so I need some advice as to what to get to expand it into a proper crew. I've read through the rules once or twice but haven't played yet or anything, I just want to know what I should be grabbing.

Also, how do the Avatars work?

First get the smaller concise Rulebook. No fluff at all but has all the updated rules.

For viks I would start with some Ronins since they can replace one of the Viktorias in case of premature death.

A good addon and, possibly, another henchman to explore is Von Schill who can easily make up for the lack of range. Including the friekorp librarian is a very potent inclusion since you can bump up a Vik with 3 healing flips.

Avatars are powered up versions of their normal form; sometimes making them do better at their job (sonnia) or radically change how they work (dreamer). There is a manifest clock going on that will check if you have met any requirements specific to the master. There are two with one being easy and the other tougher to pull off. Depending on the turn number and how many requirements you've met it can be impossible to manifest to automatically manifesting even if you don't want to.

You have to pay 2ss to buy the avatar form

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devlan Mud posted:

So I got a quick game of this in with my friend, my unpainted, unbased, unassembled Vik box vs his finished and nice Sonnia box. Turns out my plan of running forward and punching things to death was a pretty good one. This game is amazing, putting Warmachine on hold while I get that crew built up really nice.

How does Leviticus fare? I see pretty much everything he does takes life away from him, which seems tricky. But I think I might expand towards his stuff before I get a different faction (which will be Neverborn with the Dreamer probably).

And just to reiterate, this game is goddamn amazing. Way more fun than any other tabletop game I've played to date.

Edit: It also was hilarious when I got to the store and found out the cards opened up.

Leviticus is amazing. Take a canine remains and make another Waif and you'll be even harder to remove from the game.

Keep one Waif tucked away and the other up ahead.

Try using his melee attack with it's amazing severe damage of 12. Use death lessons to set up for the attack, then use the Face of Death trigger to give him a positive twist for every card you discard. If you can cheat in normal severe it's usually an instagib. With a redjoker into another severe, it's a red mist.

Just make sure to set him up hanging on 1 life at the end so he'll off himself at the end of the turn so he'll do the whole resurrection thing

Also as an additional note, the way Strategies and Schemes work might mean that there is a chance there might be no reason to fight at all which can confound strategies like Slaughter.

Also some schemes like Kill Protege or Grudge, if you announce them to me and I don't really need the model I can just kill it myself and deny you the points.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 24, 2012

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Arlaharen posted:

Do ship internationally (Europe) and how much would it be? I'm interested in both decks and could probably order a few for friends if you need a certain amount of decks to make it worthwhile.

It looks like he already made a post and it's on the Malifaux forums.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?30176-Custom-Fate-Decks-for-sale

and yes, it looks like they are shipping internationally for $17.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
I am going to build, paint, and base about 25 models between now and May 10th which is when our store is running the tournament.

Building a Kirai crew with the following.

1 Alt Kirai
5 Shensin
4 Gaki
1 Lost Love
2 Shikome
2 Night Terror
1 Insidious Madness
2 Ikiryo
4 Onryo
1 Canine Remains
1 Datsu'ba
1 Jack Daw
1 Bete
1 Jakuuna proxy

I will probably record all of this.

Why Kirai? My friend at the store demonstrated the INSANITY of Shikomes with her. With her trigger, Kirai can summon a spirit model 12 inches away. The absolute beast-mode summon from Kirai is a Shikome. This is because they are immune to all forms of Slow, including from being summoned. Having a Shikome with a Prey that lets her, in the end, get Fast, Nimble, Melee Expert, + on attacks on paired claws is something the other side needs to answer to. After I compared it to ICBM's, he now calls them his tactical nukes.

You can see his article about it here http://soulstonesociety.com/2012/04/shikome-can-you-stop-them/#more-224

Also Jakuuna is probably the most powerful model in Book 3. Lure something in and, if it touches her, she paralyzes them as long as they keep touching her and they keep failing that willpower flip (I believe). Oh Insidious Madness close? Make that a negative twist.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterShine posted:

Is there a point to the hodgepodge effigy? It seems pretty bad from where Im sitting

Yep, it was a mistake. It is unique and what a unique it is.

edit: Also the Shik does not have melee master. It just has triggers that can either give it Poison 2 or ++ on the damage flip.

edit: I am really looking forward to Arcane Effigy in my Zorida crew.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Arlaharen posted:

Wow, thanks for this. I'm painting up the first models for my own Kirai crew and with only a handful of games of Malifaux so far this is really helpful.

nayte wants to make some focused articles about the kirai crew variations but he is not finding the time to do it.

since I play mostly neverborn I'll do an articles on the effigies