Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Were-Pigs??? Yes please. Also, what are those crazy orange things???? O_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Shifting gears here a little bit. I'm a long time Gremlins player, my first crew was Ophelia back in first edition. Yep... Went through the headache of that special forces crap. Anyway, I've been playing with my same group of buddies for many years now, and I would say that like, 80% of our games end in this:

:rant: Gremlins are cheese.

For a while, I was like, c'mon guys, I'm bringing a combination of luck and skill here, sorry the game didn't go your way. And obviously Gremlins have weaknesses; some unpredictability, a lot of self-harm mechanics, etc. But at the same time, I'm starting to see their point a bit. First of all, our sample size is pretty big after like 4 years. And I'm realizing that our weaknesses are pretty easy to mitigate. Some of my observations:

1) Dumb Luck is a huge trigger. Sure I'm hurting myself. But if I'm dropping their model in one hit, doesn't really matter if I walk out with 2 left. ya know? Add on top of this a lot of access to healing, and dumb luck just becomes amazing
2) Reckless. Seems like a pretty small price to pay to have 50% AP more than my opponent most of the game. See aforementioned healing and the cost becomes drat near negligible.
3) Dirty Cheater. Amazing 1 point upgrade that anyone can take? I almost never leave home without two of these somewhere. Too good.
4) Random triggers. Occasionally hilariously bad for me, like when my gremlins ricochet onto each other. But with the cheating mechanic, it's easier, though admittedly not always possible, to get a beneficial trigger. Especially when you start throwing some of the deck stackers like Lovely Assistant in there.

I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of. But I'm just curious what other groups' experiences are like. Do the Gremlins in your group seem a little overpowered for their cost? Is there something about the way we play in our little meta that favors Gremlins play style? I want both me and my opponents to have fun playing, so what can we do to bring things into balance? Any advice on beating Gremlins that you can give me to pass on to them?

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Do it! And then figure out something to convert the cowboy into!

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

gredgie posted:

In a bid to blow the cobwebs off my Malifaux knowledge:

When an attack value has a suit with it and a trigger that uses the suit, is that basically just the mechanics way of Wyrd wanting a trigger to always fire unless an effect has removed suits from attack values?

Yep, pretty much. Or some triggers (like critical strike I believe?) care about how many of that suit you have. So in that case it's a "guaranteed" one of the suit, with a chance to have another.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

TheFinalTuba posted:

OATH COMPLETE

Cut it pretty close this month. Whipped out two of them like, yesterday haha.

Zipp, the fearless leader of the sky pirates, as they roam Malifaux in their airship. He was a lesson in some disappointments. I need to work on my NMM Bronze, and I need to work on my OSL.

Earl Burns, the imprisoned engineer who "came with" the stolen airship.

The First Mate, a Silurid in a dashing coat and hat!

The Iron Skeeters, Zipp's front line of assault.

Here's an album of WIP shots for the Iron Skeeters (Though one seems to be out of order, and I don't know how to fix it xD): http://imgur.com/a/M3Vpo

Claiming Jurnal for Zipp's explosion and the ensuing OSL. Also claimimg WIP Photos.

As long as Signal and I are cross posting and talking about our game! Wee! Yeah, hard to describe what was really so blah feeling about our game. I think we both just kind of ended up feeling like we were moving our dudes, and were flipping some cards, and usually we hit, sometimes we didn't. Listen, I love the card system in theory, but the past couple games, when I've been in the game, it hasn't felt so exciting. Like, it's felt like the active model is going to control things so that they have a favorable chance of doing their action, and even if the cards don't flip quite right, you probably have a 10+ in your hand. It felt really hard for us to fail to do what we wanted, I think. Granted maybe part of that was playing with two smaller crews (was a 35 SS game). Or maybe we should be more aggressive? Take more chances rather than make sure that we are guaranteeing success? I dunno. Has anyone else run into these sorts of observations? Hell, maybe we just had an off kind of night.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
And I should point out that we are long time players, since first edition and all that. To a couple specific points, we were using defensive occasionally, but all that generally meant was that the low cards in our hand had SOME sort of use. Meanwhile, I had some upgrades on Zipp and stuff that would force discards if using an interact or using a soulstone, something like that. But then he just made sure not to take schemes that required an interact. I suppose in retrospect I could've taken distract, and that could have been comedy, but ah well :p

I think I'll recommend to my group that we play a series of 50ss games, with the same faction each time (we have a problem expanding too much >_>), and see how that goes. We also have a problem getting distracted with other games (Infinity, Guild Ball, Frostgrave.... Did I mention we have a significant problem with over-expanding?) so by the time we get back around to playing Malifaux again, we've forgotten not only the huge number of things each individual model can do, but like, the core strategies of the game. Haha.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Well, we've played the first of our 50ss binge-series, and both of us agreed afterwards that we had much more fun. Was Perdita et al vs. Reva, her box, and what little other stuff I had to fill out 50ss (Canine Remains, Punk Zombie, and a Flesh Construct haha). Squatter's Rights, I had Murder Protege (Francisco) and Line in the sand. He had Line in the sand and Distract. Oh, and Ortegas/Guild in general can really shoot... >_>

We're both thankful that we had more fun, and hoping that this stick to a faction Malifaux binge continues to help. Couple questions though:

- How do you deal with all of Reva's Corpse Markers? Between free corpse candles as markers, who also drop one when they die, and all the standard corpse markers throughout the game, I had a relatively easy time having people in range of Reva's abilities (which hit hard) and had people close enough to corpse markers that Vincent was able to pretty reliably do minimum 4 damage. Recommendations?

- How do we make our games go quicker? I think we'd all really like to get closer to a 2 hour mark, but our game took about 3.5 hours when all was said and done.

- Is being out activated a really big detriment? For example this game, If I got to summon then use a corpse candle, I often had two guys going unopposed at the end of the turn. I also play Gremlins so I'm often bringine 1-2 more dudes than my opponent. Is this a big deal for the person with less models? And how do you counteract that?

Thanks!

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I haven't played this version myself, but I've been told that Henchman Hardcore is a good way to learn. If you find the Gaining Grounds Season 1 PDF, it should be in there. It does start you without your master (I believe it's a Henchman and like, 3 other models with a fixed pool of objectives), but it seems like a good way to learn the basics without overwhelming you with models. After that, I would try to get up to 50 stone games, which you'll probably need a few more models for. Ten thunders have a lot of great versatile models, but there are a lot of great Last Blossom models you could look at too. Good luck!

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Flipswitch posted:

Extra post on a very quiet thread, but has anyone here built the Katashiro? The crouching one seems a bit of a bugger when it comes to the rear of the model, I'm a bit confused on how it goes together.

I haven't built those ones myself, but Wyrd has an online instruction database you can search. Here's the Katashiro:

https://www.wyrd-games.net/plastic-build-instructions/2018/8/13/the-undying?rq=katashiro

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Yeah, even with the build instructions some of them definitely still come with question marks xD

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why this thread is so quiet. Game had a tough transition from 2e to 3e, lost a lot of players in a quiet like 10+ months. I think the thread was pretty quiet before then too, though. Shame cause the game is a lot of fun and seems like it has a pretty good following (some good podcasts and other content out there). Just quiet on SA :shrug:

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Ha yeah, Lady J can be tough. Big choppy master with a solid crew to back her up. Idk what approach you took, but sometimes it's best to feed her (or any big beater) some small models and go around and scheme while she's busy. She can kill all the models she wants, but if you win 6-5 it's still a win. Don't have a ton of experience against J herself, but this is how I handle beaters that I don't have tools for.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Cassa, I used this for my piano markers: https://art-of-war-studios-ltd.myshopify.com/products/malifaux-piano-token?_pos=1&_sid=3b93cd725&_ss=r

Super handy for a pretty good price. Also has notes written on them (size and traits) which can be nice to see during a game.

Flip, it really depends, which is not helpful. Generally I like to have a role/plan in mind for each model I hire, and sometimes that means redundancy, and sometimes it doesn't. For example, if I'm playing Symbols of Authority with Transmortis, you bet I'm going to take 2 Necropunks. So really depends on what you need the redundancy for. If you're going up against someone who NEEDS their demise triggers, maybe 2 Charm Warders has a place. Maybe even 3?

Part of what makes Malifaux so interesting to me. Some games the answer is bring redundancy, sometimes the answer is to diversify. Depends on pool, opponent, etc., and changes every game. The downside is it can take a while to learn when each answer is good, but luckily it's a lot of fun (usually) to learn along the way.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Well, the rats are insignificant right? So they give no bounty points. Hamelin is one of the few masters I've never faced, but I'll tell ya what, insignificant spam has been relatively effective for me in Bayou Public Enemies games. Shove a bunch of insignificant in their face and they have to deal with them (they'll obviously die fast), but that's less actions they're using to hit significant models. Again, don't know if it works quite so well for Hamelin or not though.

But also, buying more models is good too 😝

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
There is so much to like. Wish I didn't already play 3 factions so I could grab the new one haha. I think the Runaways look so cool for Apex. I love the flavor of them being hunted by Cooper, and trying to ask anyone they can for help... so flavorful. The rest of the keywords are cool... I love it. Gonna be a lot to learn as I get to now these new masters, but I'm really excited.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Ick, Adze is a nightmare for me. Haha. I always seem to underestimate it until I'm burning to death.

Edit: Oh yeah, poison too X_X

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Yeah as a bayou player since first edition (or technically, outcast gremlins which eventually became bayou), I gotta say, their old gremlin sculpts had such an odd design. Very glad about the design changes, they're way better now. Actually, that's across the board. So much more satisfying to build and paint.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Yeah I've only ever played with one guilty at a time, might try 2 some time, but I can't realistically see taking 3. They're not bad, but honestly you want them to die, and I usually just see my opponents ignoring them.

With that in mind, I tossed the electric chair and the bed guy in my pack and tossed the cross guy in the "storage area for 3-ofs that I will likely never take 3-of." Honestly one of the few Malifaux models where I'm just like, no... Too much

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I've played a lot of Wong. Thing is, he's almost there as a crew. Taxidermists with Inferiority Complex are some of the most fun beaters to use - min 4 pretty casually. And use the Pigapult to drop them right where you need them? Beautiful. Alphonse is pretty nice too.

The thing is they take a TON of finesse to play well with. They really want to be hitting themselves, which is great, glowy and fast is awesome. However, they are then very susceptible to counter punch, because besides folks like Alphonse and the Swine Cursed, there's not much defensive tech. Bokors and Lightning Bugs are solid healers, but there's only so much they can do.

What really gets me though is Wong himself. Df 5 and Wp 5 on a master really hurts, especially with nothing but stones keeping you alive. Also, his shockwaves in practice end up being a lot about set up. You'll get some damage through early, but I find that it's more about getting the glowy out to really punish people turns 4 and 5. If folks get into Wong, he's now having to spend those setup actions trying to disengage (with his 5 df!) Or he could try to attack with his (stat 5!) fan and stone for a mask to get out...

I love his play style and how quickly his crew can juke opponents, but really, I think he just needs a few small buffs to be on the same playing field as other masters.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Haha, yeah toss is great. It's more of a meme than anything, but you give him the Ghillie suit, and grow him with his bonus, and now he can toss the Pigapult! xD

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Toshiro and Ashigaru are crazy good haha.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I think 3 masters is a solid place to start. And Yan Lo is a very different master from your other two, so you'll be in a good position to learn about what masters feel good into certain pools for your playstyle.

As far as Ashigaru, they are just INCREDIBLE tarpit models... for FIVE stones, you get a model with 2 inch reach and extended reach. They have take the hit so they can help your other models stay alive. Which is great because with Armor and Hard to kill, it's going to take most models at least 3-4 successful hits to take them down. for a FIVE STONE MINION!

And Toshiro summons them which is just amazing. on a 10 of crows and a corpse marker (which will likely be plentiful... more so in Ressers, but probably still in 10T) he just gets an ashigaru. They take damage, yes, but he can heal them with a 6. Even without healing they're tough to remove, again, armor and HTK. Also with terrifying, 10 health, and HTW, he's a tough tarpit too. They're definitely a solid bunch.

Also, definitely look at Gokudo. They're obnoxious as hell because you get to resummon your ancestors essentially for free. I wouldn't be surprised though if they get nerfed in the very near future, so buyer beware :P

TheFinalTuba fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Does the Guild have any really good scheme runners?

Not a guild player, but I find that Mounted Guards are something I see do good work when it comes to scheming. 9 stones OOK gets pretty expensive, but 11 inches of unimpeded movement (that can get you out of melee thanks to RWM) with one AP left will do a lot of things.

A lot of the Journalist keyword is good at schemes too, though I would say they work best together rather than as individual hires. Undercover Reporter does a lot too.

I'm sure there's more, but that's a start.