Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
OK, so my friends are playing this, but I have no idea how many points they are playing.

Who is the biggest rear end in a top hat master in the game? I am thinking something like Cryx from Warmachine.

Any help? Black Friday Sale still going on on Miniature Market, so I am thinking about ordering in the next 1 hour 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I keep coming back to Leviticus and Hamelin.

Anyone have advice for these two?

Stolen from HAY BUY THIS THREAD from wyrd forums:

Leviticus
- Desolate and Souless Box Set
- Desolation Engine
- Hollow Waifs
- Necropunks

-or-

Hamelin the Plagued
- Hamelin Box Set
- Malifaux Rats x2
- Rat Catchers
- Obedient Wretch
- Canine Remains or Night Terrors

What say you goons? Which is more potent? I need to be able to come up against Lord Chompybits and the Dreamer, Kirai, Von Schill, the Viktorias, and Ramos. Those are what my three friends play.

What does this Ashes and Dust thing do?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Randalor posted:

For your Hamlin list, I think most Hamlin players would suggest to drop the Night Terror or Canine Remains and take either Nix or more Stolen and/or Rats. As far as running him goes, the only advice I can give is that you want to lock down your enemy models as quickly as you can with giving them Insignifigant and avoid clumping up too much if your enemy has AOE attacks. Oh, and if the scenario is Shared Slaughter... yeah.

I have a friend who runs him, but I havn't had a chance to play against him yet, so unfortunatly I don't have that much advice to give.

That was just the shopping list, not the actual play lists. Thank you for the advice. I am liking the idea of hordes of rats running around.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I went with Hamelin, mainly because the way one of the guys winced when I brought him up.

Also, painting rats can't be that bad!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am pretty damned excited about my Hamelin order!

Hamelin the Plagued
Nix, the Bull Terrier
Obedient Wretch
2 x Rat Catchers
3 x The Stolen
9 x Malifaux Rats
2 x Canine Remains

I am actually excited about painting them as well! I am also planning on getting a good MP3 of rat sounds, to play whenever I summon/sacrifice rats.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I got my stuff! I really like the sewer inserts. The quality of the miniatures is higher than I expected. They have a good amount of detail.

Unfortunately, according to the wyrd forums, 9 rats and 3 Stolen is not enough! I guess I need one more blister of each. We shall see! I am hoping to get everything painted this weekend. (Overly optimistic!)

I am starting to see how this force is fielded. It seems pretty hilarious as long as Hamelin is not facing The Guild. Lots of Activate Rats, Use Rats, Kill them and summon more, :repeat:.

I hope to have pictures of painted dudes soon! Actually, I only have 3 dudes, as most of my force is rats, and children.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have Nix and a Canine Remains painted, and I am really excited about them.

However, I am having trouble making sure Hamelin has enough pied piper going on. Anyone have a good picture of a well painted Hamelin? I have had no luck on it, even CMON does not have one.

Once I get my other Canine Remains done, I will take some pictures.

Any Hamelin players around here?

I am going to place another order soon, and need some help on what to buy.

I know I am going to buy 2x Malifaux Rats, 2x Canine Remains, and 1x The Stolen. Anything else that Hamelin needs in his toolbox?

Also, are there any models that Leveticus and Hamelin can both use? I am going to get a Leveticus crew going (after they release an alternate sculpt for him).

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I am digging them so far! This is Primed, Base Coated, and QuickShaded. I am going for speed on these, and 4 guys in two evening sessions is a pretty good pace for me.

After I have all my guys QuickShaded, I will Dullcote them in one batch. Then it is just highlights and touchups.

What do you guys think for 1 guy an hour (after priming, and airbrushing bases in large batches)?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Backno posted:

Showgirls Box, Mechanical Doves, Croyphee, and Ortega Box are heading my way :neckbeard:

You don't want to play Ortegas. They suck. They can't do anything useful ... Other than completely shrug off all the wonderful things Hamelin can do. Seriously, how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with them? They can also blow up all my rats, and shoot my Rat Catchers in the face.

Edit: :siren:Disease ridden pedophile alert:siren:

"YOUR BABIES ARE MINE!" :pedo:

I can't wait to hit these with Dullcote.

EVIR, I will do pre-quickshade/post-quickshade pictures for my next batch. I think you are crediting me with skill I do not really have.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 6, 2011

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Can Leviticus fight the Family well? I know I am going to need a second master sooner or later. I am not really drawn to the Viktorias, Von Schill or the Gremlins.

Anyone have a good Leviticus shopping list?

How does this selection list look?

(from wyrd-games forums)

Leviticus
$61.50 [Yes, it's that important]
- Desolate and Souless Box Set ($45.00)
- Desolation Engine ($16.50)
$100
- Hollow Waifs ($14.00)
- Necropunks ($18.00)
$150 OPTION A
- Canine Remains ($14.00)
- One of the Riders ($30.00)
q- Bette Noir ($9.00) -OR- Killjoy ($14.00)
$150 OPTION B
- Canine Remains ($14.00)
- Rotten Belles ($18.00)
- Steampunk Arachnid Swarm ($8.00) [With Magnets!]
- Steampunk Arachnid Swarm ($8.00)
- A $9 character of your choice (Jack Daw, Joss, Bette Noir, etc)
$150 OPTION C
- Ashes and Dust ($45.00)
- Steampunk Abomination ($14.00) -OR- Canine Remains ($14.00)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TarDolphinorShark posted:

Dexefiend, I can sell you my desolate and souless boxset for 20 bucks if you want it. The models are assembled primed and some of them are painted, but it will be a pretty cheap way to start a second crew. I can post pics tonight if you are interested.

Yeah, that sounds great! (the posting of the pics, that is.)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Creepy Possessed Pedophile:

I am going to have so much fun saying, "YOU KILLED TINY TIM!?! HAVE YOU NO SOUL?!?!" "POOR HAROLD NEVER HURT ANYONE!!" and "LOOKS LIKE JOEY ISN'T GETTING ANYTHING FOR CHRISTMAS, AND ITS YOUR FAULT!"

Ima fix Hamelins color and eyebrows, but I am loving the green glowing eyes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TarDolphinorShark posted:

How did you do his skin dexefiend? That is a similar color I want for my Zoraida.

That is P3 Thrall Flesh + Army Painter Quickshade (Bold).

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Cock Goblin posted:

Just wanted to quote this to say you did a really smash-up job on that Hamelin. I was a fan of the official paint job but I really really like the direction you took it by pushing the disease/grime theme farther. What did you use for the reddish/meat dog?

I've yet to paint my Hamelin crew and even assemble my own Rasputina crew. :negative: I gotta get on board with that soon.

The blood/grime dog is grey primer covered haphazardly in GW Baal Red wash and Devlan Mud, followed by some streaked on Charadon Granite as dirt. I wanted him to look like he crawled out of the ground. Followed by the Armypainter Quickshade, and I did Dullcote them tonight. They look awesome.

The key to blood and gore is to get enough brown in there. Devlan Mud and Baal Red make a good mix. I was double dipping from one to the other, and doing it completely random.

What do you think of my planned pajama kid?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Cock Goblin posted:

I do like the Little Nemo look there, it's very cool. I'd consider maybe griming the feet but that's up to your discretion.

As for your Ortega troubles, who are you running in your Hamelin crew?

(I have yet to play the game.) I am just painting at the moment. I have just read a lot of whiny forums posts. According to them, the Ortegas are quite good against Hamelin.

My friends are all doing this Warmachine Journeyman thing at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to play.

Also, the pajama kid is only at the very start of painting. Just skin and a first attempt at pajamas.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
CROSSPOST FROM PAINTING THREAD!

This guy is less than an hour or so of painting. He is from Malifaux, and is basically a child stolen by the Pied Piper. He has amazing rules, and I wanted him to look like he is in his pajamas.

Started with Grey Acrylic Urethane Primer from Vallejo, and then used my airbrush to base coat the base. Drew on the pajama stripes with my smallest brush, and took the first shots.

Then I used Army Painter Quickshade, but I don't ever dip the models. Dipping them applies too much product. I brush it on, and then control where I want a little extra (the feet, the hair, the armpits, the bottom of pants, the sewer).

All in all, I am very excited to see what he looks like when he dries! This Quick Shade stuff is basically Stain+Varnish, which leaves them very glossy. After hitting them with Dullcote they look amazing. The varnish part helps protect the primer and makes them a little tougher.

I basically use this stuff as a heavy duty devlan mud, and it treats me very well!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Acidix posted:

I have to say that the the models release for book 3 are pretty much exactly what the art would indicate.

Any hints on what Hamelin's Avatar looks like?

Also, are there any other models Hamelin can use that create blight counters (other than rat bites)?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
OH MY loving GOD, NOW THAT THE GOOP IS DRY I AM LIKE making GBS threads MY PANTS.

HE LOOKS loving AMAZING AARRGGGGH! ITS AMAZING WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUSH YOUR BOUNDARIES.

Ok, this is probably the best looking mini I have ever painted.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Played and won my first game of Malifaux tonight.

Good god a Hamelin gang has an army of text to wade through. I won by making getting an early insignificant on his sword Victoria. Then the other one brought Hamelin down to 2 health, and was made insignificant as the first action of the next turn.

The game was fun, and the mechanics were interesting. Those fukken rats! So many important abilities must be used in the right order to really make the force work.

I had a great time. YOU SHOULD TRY THIS GAME IF YOU ARE ON THE FENCE!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Oxford Comma posted:

So I bought Book 1 today, and I'm starting to read through it. Are there any crews that are supremely awesome or utterly shitastic?

Hamelin and the Dreamer are probably the ones that get complained about most.

Also, your avatar is ridiculous.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Dominion posted:

Hey dexefiend, what model is your Dreamer? The one on the Wyrd site is wearing like a nightgown and a blankie, yours has pajamas and a slingshot. Was it a limited edition model or something?

That isn't the Dreamer, its one of Hamelin's brainwashed kids.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Backno posted:

Step 1: Go here http://www.crystalbrush.com/winners/

Step 2: Look at the Fantasy/Steampunk Squad category

Step 3: :cry:

Those are absolutely stunning. I am unable to comprehend how to paint like that.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Anyone got a good list to play Hamelin's Avatar? I have only played one game of Malifaux, but we are starting up a league in a few weeks.

I have:
Hamelin
Nix
Obedient Wretch
Rat Catcher x 2
The Stolen x 3
Canine Remains x 2
Malifaux Rat x 15

Any suggestions? Or perhaps should I pick up Leveticus. I know, from the internet, that Leviticus really struggles against the Dreamer, and one of the guys is going to be playing him.

Hamelin is hilarious! Mwahaha! He is such a dick!

Any advice at all would be helpful.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Hmmmm. We just started a league in lovely Bloomington IL ... (Not that far from Peoria, hinthint.)

I am thinking I want to pick up Leviticus to add to my lovely Hamelin.

Any suggestions for first Purchases?

I was thinking:
Leviticus Box
Desolation Engine
Hollow Waifs
Ashes and Dust
Necropunk Samurai

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just bought Leviticus box, Hollow Waifs, Steampunk Abominations, Desolation Engine, Rotten Belles, Bête Noir, and ... Hamelin's Avatar.

I am excited! It is fun to play this game.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Pretty big shake up this week. Arcanists went from dead last to tied for second, while spoiling the Ressers lead.

Sup, man. Are in Peoria? We should try and get some games in if so. It's only 35 min drive!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I want to buy and paint up a crew for my wife. Should I get her Ortegas+Lady Justice or Collette + Kaeris?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Dominion posted:

Depends on whether your wife already plays malifaux and/or is an experienced gamer.

Colette is basically the most complicated and mind-fucky master to play (or second most behind Dreamer) whereas Perdita and Lady J are very straightforward and often suggested for new players.

Hahaha. Perdita and Lady J it is!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
code:
Guild: Witch Hunters Box Set (Sonnia)
Guild: Ortega Gunslingers Box Set (Perdita)
Guild: Death Marshals Box Set (Justice)
Guild: Austringer 1
Guild: Enslaved Nephilim
Guild: Austringer 2
Guild: Abuela Ortega
Guild: Hounds x 2
Guild: Exorcist
Guild: Witchling Handler
Guild: Executioner (alternative)
Game Accessories: Retro Fate Deck

Guild: Ryle
Resurrectionists: Necropunks
Ryle and the Necropunks are for me. Everything else is for my wife. After I started thinking about it. Teaching her to play the game vs Hamelin might be a little sadistic. I figured I could use one of the other boxes so she could learn faster.

Did I miss anything vital? I figured I could buy a Hoffman box for a Guardian and a Watcher, but decided that I already had enough stuff.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Some images of The Warden, Avatar Colette, and the vintage Fate Deck.

Thanks a ton for this.

What does the Warden do? I don't have the book it comes from, and I have read posts talking about how good it is.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Last night, in my fourth Hamelin game, I drew an amazing hand at the start of turn one.

Black Joker, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3

So, I spent the entire game with that hand, as my opponent was playing Collette and just used all her cards for soulstones.

It kinda sucked.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

MisterShine posted:

Why didnt you discard it? :psyduck:

Starting in turn 2, Hamelin doesn't get to draw cards. I only get to draw when my opponent plays a card.

What is the definition of 'playing' a card? He told me that when he discarded for a soulstone, i didn't get to draw.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Lungboy posted:

From that definition, discarding a card wouldn't be playing a card, so Hamelin wouldn't get to draw.

Yeah, I figured he wasn't lying. I just got kicked in the nuts by not being able to cheat fate at all. I managed one time when he cheated something, and I was able to pick up a 13.

The surprising interaction was: If you can't cheat fate, its really hard to make your opponent cheat fate. So, I just was not able to draw cards.

I was doing well enough. I got him down to Collette + Coryphee Duet + Cassandra. I managed to get the Coryphee Duet insignificant, but Cassandra teleported to the Coryphee and stabbed Hamelin. Then, he moved the Coryphee off, killed 1 Stolen, then split. Activated the now single Coryphee, killed another Stolen like half way across the board. Finally, Collette blew up my last Stolen.

I think he was using the Coryphee wrong. I think he was doing the Dance-By attack during his push movements. He also was pushing around models, until a different player said "No, Push is a straight line."

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have made all the base inserts for my wife's Guild force.

Took about 2 hours to make all those. They turned out better than I expected, especially after sprayed black.

I wanted a clean base for the Guild faction. My Outcasts are on Sewer inserts, but that poo poo got expensive fast.

I also think a warm wood tone will go really well with the red faction colors.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Backno posted:

Those look fantastic. What are they made out of?

Its just Scupty Firm. I rolled it out really thin, then used a mechanical pencil (with no lead) and a ruler to make the parallels. (I rolled it out using a length of 2" PVC, cuz I am a man.)

Then I used a metal rod that I found in my house that was the slightest bit bigger than the inserts to stamp out the 30mm insert rounds. For the medium and larges, I pushed a base top down into the 'dough' and then used an xacto knife to cut out the insert.

Then I sat while watching tv, and drew on some board ends. I also added nail holes with the tip of the mechanical pencil.

Then they were baked at 275 for 15 min and bam! done!

Also, the baking parchment paper is amazing with this stuff. If you roll it out on top of the parchment paper it won't leave a mess anywhere. Also, you can bake them on top of it, and not have to worry about staining or anything on plates/baking sheets.

After it came out of the oven, I just used my files and a little sandpaper to get them in the correct shape to fit the bases perfectly. A piece of sandpaper was much better than the files.

Edit: Cost Info:
I bought a pound of Scuptey Firm at Michaels for 10.93 after the 40% off internet coupon that I always use when shopping there.

I have used at most 1/10 of the box. That is a generous rounding up. So, these cost me about $1.09, plus 2 hours of tv.

Edit:
I made 39 Smalls, 6 Mediums, and 1 Large.
Yes, they are not as detailed as the Wyrd inserts, but by comparison that many sewer inserts would have cost me: 117.83 from thewarstore.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 27, 2012

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Weee heee! Now I just need for my shipment to arrive.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

EVIR Gibson posted:

Oo, oo. Let me guess, Colette took SABOTAGE???

Hey, Imma gonna touch that thing that I can get to first turn. Can you get there before I touch it? Can you? Can you?

Look

At

Me

GO

Yeah, Sabotage is just dumb with them.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Feeple posted:

Picked up the Sonia starter and the 1.5 book. I'll be collecting non-Ortega Guild. God help me.

Sup, Guild bro! :wotwot::respek::wotwot:

Why do we have such exquisite style and taste, Feeple?

Yeah, last night I ordered 60 bucks worth of Vallejo Model Air paint, plus Lucius, 2 Wardens, 2 Guild Guards, Guild Guard Fatty, and a Drill Sergeant.

I think I can paint 40 Guild Models this month, as soon as my actuarial exam (Tuesday) is over.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Backno posted:

The first batch of Ten Thunders have been shown today

http://www.wyrd-games.net/content.php?193-Wyrd-Plastic-and-the-Ten-Thunders

I love all the little dynamic bits they have. It's nice to see Wyrd making full use of everything being made of plastic.

I might just order them and some more to hit $100... and get that nice Guild model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
On her ability, it references Escort. Which models are escorts?