Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Welcome to the Malifaux thread.

So what is Malifaux?

Malifaux is a diceless, character driven miniatures skirmish from the good folks at Wyrd Minatures.

Malifaux is set in a fictional earth, similar to our own where magic exists. In 1787, the greatest magical practitioners of the age held a great conclave to discuss one thing; Magic was becoming weaker to the point that even the most powerful magicians were having trouble with the most mundane magical acts.

The events of the conclave are not recorded, but the final result changed the world forever. The conclave used their combined energies to tear a hole in the fabric of reality itself and into another world. This tear would become know as the Breach. On the far side of the Breach they found a complete city, devoid of life, as if abandoned only moments before.

Shortly after, expeditions were mounted, travelling outside the city in all directions, finding swamps forests, frontier towns and, most importantly mining sites. In these mines they found an incredible faintly glowing crystal. The crystals were a magical reservoir, greatly amplifying the users magical ability and power. The crystals would turn dull and cease to be useful after a short time in use, but it was discovered that they would regain their powers whenever a person died nearby. This gave rise to their common name. Soulstone.

In short order, Soulstone would radically change how the world worked and how industry moved forwards. The demand for the gems from Earth was insatiable and the Guild, a large conglomerate of industrialists and their multitude of workers, controlled the flow of the stones from Malifaux and made fortune after fortune.

However in 1797, for reasons not yet known, the Breach began to close and shrink, despite the best efforts of the Guild and the magical practitioners at the time. Just before it closed, sounds of screaming and a fierce battle were heard on the Malifaux side. Right at the last instant, a body was thrown through the breach before it sealed shut. There was a single word carved into the mangled flesh. Ours

The following years were difficult, with the flow of precious Soulstone cut off, drastic measures were taken to keep the existing earthside stones powered, with the Guild issuing directives that soulstones be renewed at hospitals, prisons and anywhere that housed the elderly and sick. So dependant had the world become on soulstone, that most grudgingly accepted these cruel measures as necessary.

On 1897, exactly 100 years after the breach closed, to the very minute, it opened again, suddenly and unexpectedly. The city was there, exactly as it had always been, but of the previous settlers, there was no sign.

It is now 1901, and once more the Guild is in charge of Malifaux, the Governor tasked with keeping the peace and above all, keeping the Soulstones flowing back to earth, by whatever means necessary. But they are under assault from all sides, by the cunning Arcanists who resent the Guilds power, by the Ressurectionists who practice forbidden manics long thought forgotten and by the Neverborn, the natives of Malifaux who are working once again to throw out the human invaders.

So wait, diceless? How does that work?

Malifaux uses a deck of cards to determine contested actions, known as Duels.

An Unopposed Duel involves flipping a card, adding the card's value to the appropriate model statistic, and checking if that equals or beats the target number.

An Opposed Duel is much the same, however the defender also flips a card and adds their appropriate defence statistic. If the attackers total is greater than the defenders total, the effect goes off.

A Spell Duel is similar again, but it has both a target number (casting cost) and can often be defended against as well.

The innovative mechanic for Malifaux however, is the control hand. The control hand is generally six or more cards that you draw at the beginning of the turn and under most circumstances you can use these cards to replace another card you have flipped. Think of them as a store of 'good cards' you can use when you really need them. This is known as Cheating Fate.

The other innovative mechanic in Malifaux are Triggers. Triggers occur under specific conditions, usually involving a particular card suit or suits. If you flip or cheat the correct suit(s) and meet the criteria for the trigger, an extra effect occurs which could be anything from more damage, to paralysing your opponent, to stripping away their armour.

The final specific mechanic for Malifaux is Soulstones. Soulstones can be used to re-flip for initiate, and for certain models such as Masters and Henchmen, can be used to reduce incoming damage, heal wounds and most importantly, add an additional card to your duel total, vastly increasing your chances of being successful in your action. Soulstones are a limited resource however, so use them wisely.

The most recent book introduced Avatars. For an additional two soulstones, each Master (but not Henchmen) have the option to attach an Avatar. When certain criteria are met in game, the Master can manifest the Avatar, greatly changing how they perform on the table.

Who's Who in Malifaux

Lets talk about the Masters and Henchmen in the factions of Malifaux

The Guild is the authority in Malifaux. They make the law and they control the production of Soulstone from the Mines. Guild Masters and Henchmen are powerful figures working to keep the soulstones flowing, no matter who or what gets in the way.

Masters:

Lady Justice. Lady Justice is tasked with facing down the Ressurectionist threat in Malifaux. She has been changed by the necromantic magic she has to deal with on a regular basis, stealing her sight, but it has only made her stronger.

Perdita. Perdita Ortega has been tasked with keeping the Neverborn threat at bay. An expert gunman, Perdita leads her family through the forests and wilderness of Malifaux in search of their deadly foe.

Sonnia Criid. Sonnia was originally tasked with seeking out the unsanctioned magic users of the Arcanists factions, but she has since 'gone off the reservation', seeking out old secrets about Malifaux and its doom.

C. Hoffman. C. Hoffman was brought into the Guild to replace Sonnia and deal with the Arcanists, however he seems to have a conflict of interest, owing the life of his brother to the Arcanist Ramos.

Henchmen:

Lucius. Lucius is the Governors personal secretary. No mere pencil pusher, Lucius directly controls the considerable assets of the guild and works behind the scenes to ensure everything goes according to the governors will.

The Miners and Steamfitters Union (M&SU) are the most powerful union in all of Malifaux, and like unions earthside, are a front for organised crime. Their criminal arm is known as the Arcanists and they are a loose collection of high level magic users united against the Guild

Masters:

Ramos. Victor Ramos is the pre-eminent engineer of the day, rising to head of the Miners and Steamfitters Union he is also the leader of the Arcanists and controls most of the black market Soulstones the flow out of Malifaux

Marcus. Marcus used to be a university professor before he came to Malifaux, but coming through the Breach changed him and he has taken to the forests and jungles of Malifaux, with the native beasts accepting him as one of their own.

Rasputina. Originally a convict brought to Malifaux by the Guild, Rasputina was chosen as a conduit for a Tyrant entity known as December. Made stronger by the blessing and curse December, she had also begun to slowly go mad, ruthlessly butchering all the priests of December in their temple.

Colette. Colette Du Bois was a talented stage magician earthside, who brought her burlesque troupe through the Breach to Malifaux to set up as entertainers for the Guild's workers at the Star Theatre. Little do the clients know that the Star itself serves as a focal point for illegal Soulstone smuggling.

Henchmen:

Kaeris. Kaeris is Ramos' personal apprentice. Her skill with the arcane mechanical arts is matched only by her fiery personality.

The Ressurectionists are a loosely aligned group of practitioners of the forbidden magic of Necromancy, and the lethal nature of Malifaux means there's never a shortage of raw materials.

Nicodem. Nicodem is the well respected undertaker of Malifaux city. Working at the behest of the guild he sees to it the the dead are interred properly, or so he would have people believe.

McMorning. Dr McMorning is the Guilds mortician, performing autopsies and embalming bodies at their request. However his maniacal love of combining corpses in new and different ways has lead to some close calls with his employers.

Seamus. Seamus is insane, and it gives him power and drive that sanity just can't match. With a love of pretty girls and butchering pretty girls, he's a terror of Malifaux who moves through the city like a force of nature.

Kirai. Kirai Ankoku was a Three Kingdoms prostitute who feel in love with the Governors son. In a bungled attempt to kill Kirai and separate the young lovers, the governors son was killed and Kirai's heart was broken. She exists not as a force of vengeance, her spirit seeking revenge on those that have wronged her.

Henchmen:

Molly. Molly Squidpidge was a journalist for the Malifaux Daily Record until she was murdered and resurrected by Seamus. Molly isn't like Seamus' other belles, smarter and more alert, and with her own agenda to pursue.

The Neverborn are the native inhabitants of Malifaux. Creatures of myth and legend, they fight back against the human invasion. Malifaux is theirs, and they want it back.

Lillith. Lillith is the mother of monsters, leading her Nephilim brood to battle against the invaders of her home and showing them the terrible vengeance of nature's wrath.

Zorida. Zorida is actually a human who came to Malifaux at the time of the first opening. Old now, she knows Malifaux as well as any living creature, and watches the paths of fate and pulls its strings.

Pandora. Yes, that Pandora. She unleashes woes from her box upon the world of man.

The Dreamer and Lord Chompy Bits. The Dreamer is actually a small boy who lives earthside and enters Malifaux through his dreams. Teaming up with a nightmare entity he christened 'Lord Chompy Bits' he plays games with his 'friends' in his dreams. Bang Bang, you're dead.

Henchmen:

Coloddi. Coloddi was a puppet created to entertain children during the first breach. Alone for a long time, he rushed to see the children when they returned, but they shouted at him and threw things. Now he travels from town to town creating new puppets that strangely resemble children missing from the towns he has visited...

The Outcasts are a catch-all group for the criminals, mercenaries, opportunist and dregs of Malifaux.

The Victorias. Uniquely two masters in one, the sisters are unsurpassed swordswomen who sell their blades to the highest bidder in Malifaux.

Leviticus. Something of a rogue element in Malifaux, this old man works with an unusual fusion of mechanical and living tissue to create his minions. He has a bad habit of dying regularly and hanging out with young women.

Som'er Teeth Jones. The Gremlins are native to Malifaux, small green creatures who readily copy bad habits from humans. They love moonshine, pigs and banjo music. As the biggest, Som'er is the boss.

Hamlin the Plagued. Hamlin was a mere ratcatcher before he died and became the physical form for a Tyrant entity known as the Plague. The plague seeks only to spread contagion around the city.

Henchmen:

Von Schill. Like a true mercenary, Von Schill is in Malifaux for the money. He brings with him a highly trained group of men and women that he directs with ruthless efficiency .

Ophelia. Ophelia was just a normal gremlin until the day she spotted Perdita Ortega marching through the Bayou. She reasoned that if a human female could lead humans with a pretty hat, having her own pretty hat would allow her to lead the gremlins. Perhaps its for the best that she didn't meet Collette.

Okay, I'm convinced, how many firstborn children will I need to sell to play this game?

One of the great things about Malifaux is that its very cheap to get into. You can get a full set of the rules HERE and you can play with a regular 54 card deck to start with. You only initial outlay to try the game will be a boxed set for any of the above Masters or Henchmen, which will contain enough models to let you play a 25 Soulstone game. Boxed sets run from between $30 and $40 depending on the number and size of models.

I tried it and I'm addicted, what do I do now?

Generally you'll want to boost your crew to 35 Soulstones, this will usually mean one or two more clamshell packs, depending on your Master. You may also want to purchase a copy of the Rules Manual, and a Card deck for yourself. After that, the sky is the limit.

You may also want to look at:

Book 1: The core Malifaux rulebook with all the fluff and the stat cards for Masters and Minions. The rules have been superseded by the Rules Manual, so you don't strictly need it.

Book 2 Rising Powers: Book 2 contains more fluff and model stats, but like book 1, the rules are superseded by the Rules Manual.

Book 3 Twisting Fates: The most recent book with rules for Avatars and a whole slew of new minions to use.

The Malifaux Rules Manual: A very useful summation of all the rules from Books 1 & 2 including all errata. Pretty much a must-have, but you can get a free electronic copy here.

Gaming Resources

Nifty laser cut wooden game tokens can be purchased from Advanced Deployment

Ratty's Malifaux Page has a lot of resources including printable tokens for strategies and schemes, tokens and other useful things.

Other handy links:

http://www.malifaux.com Wyrd's official site with some fluff, a handy crew creator. Their forums are quite good and you can get an official ruling on any rules questions you may have.

http://www.terraclips3d.com/ The homepage for Terraclips, the terrain system for Malifaux by World Works Games. (Note: Terraclips are not required to play Malifaux, but they sure look pretty)

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/A Malifaux Wiki

http://theaethervox.com/ A (mostly) Malifaux podcast.

Icons:

In case you want to reference a specific icon in your post, you can copy these:

Tomes
Masks
Rams
Crows

Melee Strike
Ranged Strike

Positive flip
Negative flip

Aura
Pulse
Explosion

Eyespy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Reserved

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So if I wanted to purchase two to four box sets and make a table for this game to demo/play what factions would be ideal?

I do like the look of the Goblins in general, because I love that bayou poo poo. Could I run both Goblin crews against each other as a decent game demo?

Other than that I like the look of Lucius, McMorning and Rasputina looks fun to paint.

There's no real ideal combination. The boxed sets are fairly balanced against each other, and the game is well balanced Faction to faction.

Generally my advice for new players is to pick the box or faction you think is coolest and start there. If you like gremlins, buy gremlins.

Also: OP updated.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Significant Hombre posted:

I would say this is mostly true, but I would definitely advise sticking away from Leviticus and Hamelin for a new player.

Probably true. Marcus is similar as you'll need to buy at least a few more Beasts for Myranda to turn into. Ramos also had you needing more spiders so you can have them as swarms and individually. Lillith needs a box of Young Nephillim for the Terror Tots to grow into etc.

Basically everything can be expanded on easily and isn't quite optimal at the 25 soulstone starter box level, but still quite playable.

You're still looking at only 6-10 models at the 35 Soulstone level.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

So Wyrd released their release schedule for the next quarter:

quote:

November:

WYR1044 - Alternative Justice - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR1045 - Avatar Justice - Small Box - $35.00
WYR2047 - Molly - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR2049 - Crooligans (3 Pack) - Clamshell - $18.00
WYR2050 - Rogue Necromancy - Clamshell - $14.00
WYR2051 - Alternative Flesh Construct - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR2052 - Drowned (3 Pack) - Clamshell - $18.00
WYR3030 - Kaeris - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR3031 - Gunsmith - Male - Clamshell - $9.00
WYR3039 - Gunsmith - Female - Clamshell - $9.00
WYR3049 - Fire Gamin (3 Pack) - Clamshell - $18.00
WYR4042 - Alternative Pandora - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR4043 - Avatar Pandora - Small Box - $40.00

December:

WYR1074 - Exorcist - Clamshell - $10.00
WYR3042 - Alternative Ramos - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR3043 - Avatar Ramos - Small Box - $28.00
WYR3046 - Alternative Rasputina - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR3047 - Avatar Rasputina - Small Box - $30.00
WYR5066 - McTavish - Clamshell - $18.00
WYR5067 - Sue :dance: - Clamshell - $10.00

January:

WYR3050 - Angelica - Clamshell - $10.00
WYR3051 - Alternative Arachnid Swarm - Clamshell - $9.00
WYR4044 - Alternative Zoraida - Clamshell - $10.50
WYR4045 - Avatar Zoraida - Small Box - $35.00
WYR5059 - Alternative Som'er Teeth Jones - Clamshell - $10.00
WYR5060 - Avatar Som'er and Peaches - Small Box - $45.00
WYR5068 - Ten Thunders Brother (3 Pack) - Clamshell - $20.00

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

What's the deal with Henchmen as opposed to Masters? Can they lead a crew?

Yes with a bit of a caveat. Henchmen aren't quite the same power level as Masters (but drat close). To make up for that, that have a Henchman Reserve (listed on their cards as Henchman #). This can be used to buy soulstones or additional model above the soulstone total of the game, unlike a Masters Cache which is only ever a set number of soulstones.

Henchmen also are leaders of Special Forces. A crew lead by a Master can only have two Special Forces models (from a single Special Forces type), unless it contains the appropriate Henchman. If a Henchman leads the crew, or is a part of it, the model limit is removed, but you;re still limited to a single Special Forces.

For instance: Lucious has the stats Henchman 4, Special Forces (Elite Division). He could bring a total of 39 points of models (or combined models and soulstones) to the table in a 35SS scrap and have as many Special Forces (Elite Division) models as you can fit in the list.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Sticky Beethoven posted:

You can also cheat it out of your hand when you are trying to lose a duel (vs yourself is the most common example, although models with a blow-up-on-death effect sometimes like to be cheated low cards.)

I love targeting my own Ice Gamin with Rasputina when they are in melee. I cheat down the defense flip with a black joker to get a positive flip on the damage, hopefully resulting in a 5 Blast damage to my opponent followed by a 2Dg pulse as Shatter goes off. +1 Dg to each if I can arrange for the Ice Golems aura to affect both.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

Now that I looked back on my previous game, I would have killed Myranda if I waited a turn or until she was activated

I got a voodoo doll summoned able to see Myranda in LOS. I went and transformed her with Obey into the Jackalope, Marcus' totem, just so the player would have to waste a 0 ability on her.

I thought Myranda could only turn into a beast you actually had the model for. I'm sure it's cool in a friendly game but I can't see that happening in a competitive setting unless you just happened to have your own model.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

It was a friendly game and I JUST saw that ruling. So yes, it was illegal but I don't think I'll buy a Jackalope any time soon. Not sure Myranda is all too popular in the competition field.

I'm not sure. As more beasts become available, the more powerful she becomes.

I think there's an excellent combo whereby you change Myranda into a Malifaux Raptor on turn 1, attack your own master then cheat the damage down. The Trigger means that your master is a Beast for the rest of the game, meaning Myranda can steal their spells up to three times a turn thanks to furious casting.

With nuke masters like Rasputina or even Collettes Wizard Duel, that's a lot of pain you can put out.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

MisterShine posted:

Im just happy I can pre-order Sue from my FLGS. There are better ways to spend my SS but none of those ways are Johnny Cash, so they fail pretty hard

I want to put Sue on my Christmas list, but this will involve explaining to elderly relatives how to purchase a specific 'toy soldier' including providing detailed instructions and a map.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

Eyespy, please put this awesome piece of work in the OP. It's pretty awesome bit-work

Quoting for top of page instead.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

FractionMan posted:

...My Nekima should be arriving tomorrow :10bux::byewhore:

What do people use for transporting their stuff?

My Nekima is still in the box. Poor Lillith and co are going to have to wait a while in the painting queue.

I got myself the Battlefoam Malifaux bag. If you can get past the price its excellent, especially if you really get into the game and start carrying multiple crews to places.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Well since we're showing off our crews, here's mine:

Rasputina

The Victorias

I have two rinin to finish, and then I'll probably do Collette :quagmire:

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Everyone is aware that Nekima got an errata recently? Check here.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

Assembled a Marcus Crew and a Kaeris crew.

How are the hands on your Kaeris? The hands on mine are kind of deformed and will take some modelling to make right.

EVIR Gibson posted:

Might be starting a podcast soonish. Any suggestions? We have a couple of ideas of what not to do from many other podcasts (bored broadcasters mainly)

Is it going to be a Malifaux centric podcast? I'd like to see something newbie friendly (its very much a growing game) with maybe a short segment each weak on the ins and outs of a particular mechanic (triggers, place/replace, summon etc)

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

FractionMan posted:

Had the day off work so played a game today with a friend who was also off work this week. It raised a few questions.

When an action/spell grants +Tomes/Mask etc. but doesn't say when this ends, is it permanent, or only for the turn?

It depends on the wording, but generally effects end at the Start Closing Phase unless otherwise stated. Effects that last the whole game will always specify that.

FractionMan posted:

Drawing the black joker into your control hand; keep or discard?

Personal preference and game turn play a part, but personally I'd prefer to keep it in my hand until turn 4 or so.

FractionMan posted:

My friend plays a Ramos crew, and constantly loses hard and it gets him down that he's yet to have one win. Is there a trick to using Ramos? He just seems much more limited than other masters and I felt bad that I was chewing through his guys without him putting the hurt on me.

Has he got a Mobile Toolkit? They really give a big boost to Ramos. Otherwise we'd need to see his model list. Also: What size encounters?

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Randalor posted:

I know in friendly games, as long as you have the books, there should be no problem with proxying, but it's still kind of annoying to like a master, pick up the master, and then realize you need another 10 or 20 miniatures to use him/her without proxying.

10 or 20 miniatures is just a touch hyperbolic. A blister pack or two gets most boxed sets up to a solid 35ss force.

You're still hard pressed to find another wargame that will let you play a standard sized game for the same cash outlay.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Look what showed up in my inbox today:

Avatar Rasputina. Looks like I'll be putting this on my Christmas list.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

For those not following Wyrd Games on Twitter:

@WyrdGames posted:

Black friday is coming... and we've dug out a few special items hidden in the back of the warehouse, for sale that day only...

Nightmare Editions? Miss Pack variants? Unsold copies of Book 1?

Watch this space.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

I will pay dirty amounts of money for a chance at a nightmare chompy

I'm pretty sure the last one was a prize at Adepticon if the scuttlebutt is correct.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Well, I was wrong, how will I ever face my peers again?

Email from Wyrd Games posted:

Black Friday Sale: Clearin' the Warehouse!

We just refurbished the warehouse with new shelving and racks to get better organized and while putting the warehouse back together, we've amassed a few items that we don't have for general sale and instead of taking up space and dust on the shelves, we're going to go ahead and give you folks a chance to pick up a few things that have become hard to find while allowing us to clear it off the shelves for good.

The sale will be for one day only, November 25th, and you'll be able to pick up in extremely limited quantities the Gremlinette Hog Whisperer ($20), Nightmare Edition Lord Chompy ($100) and a five pack of the Puppet Wars Teddy with all five color cards ($40).

Peaches' bells, are the ringing?
In the Swamp, bile is glistening...
A hideous sight, we're slogging at night...
drowning in a Malifaux Wonderland!

I know some people who've dropped $100+ on some of these second hand, so the jokes on them if you manage to get one.

EDIT: A little more detail

Nathan Caroland posted:

Someone will flip the switch midnight on Thursday, eastern time zone.

Thats -5 GMT for those who don't follow US timezones. If my math is right that makes it 3pm for me over in +10 GMT

Eyespy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 19, 2011

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

raverrn posted:

Edit: $100 for Nightmare Chompy? How huge is that mini?

Its a sweet figure, and its pretty big...

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

The store opened about 3 hours early. Go Go Go!

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Who is the biggest rear end in a top hat master in the game? I am thinking something like Cryx from Warmachine.

Yeah pretty much any Neverborn will jerk people around. Dreamer is the one people love to hate, but they all have ways to gently caress with your opponents plans.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

My Gremlinette from the Black Friday sale arrived. I'll add it to the ~20 strong pile of gremlins I have to paint.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Backno posted:

If you want slutty Collette wins hands down...

Oh come on, it was just that one time that Cassandra got her tits out for Ramos...

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

So I'm about to start painting Collette, with a full set of all the available showgirls models.

Honestly, I'm intimidated.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Fix posted:

Just putting this out there to see if there was any interest:

Holy shitsnacks! Yes!

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

The absolute beast-mode summon from Kirai is a Shikome. This is because they are immune to all forms of Slow, including from being summoned. Having a Shikome with a Prey that lets her, in the end, get Fast, Nimble, Melee Expert, + on attacks on paired claws is something the other side needs to answer to.

Mother of God!

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

If it does have a gun icon then you cannot use it in while engaged in melee even on something outside of melee.

Unless they have the Gunfighter [Weapon] talent, which turns the ranged talent/spell/weapon/whatever into a 2" melee while maintaining everything else like triggers. But that's fairly rare.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

I painted up two mannequins last night and just about sent myself blind. The detail is extremely shallow and disappears easily, trying to paint the laces on their boots was an exercise in frustration.

On the upside; Pretty Dresses!

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

gnome7 posted:

And people said I was silly for buying two Coryphee blisters and making them separate. Colette's not the nicest crew to put together.

I can safely say that assembly was a walk in the drat park compared to painting them.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Actually they came together pretty well at the end.

Link for big

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

so a couple of rumors about gencon/book 4

the bag is going to be by battlefoam so going to be pretty pricey.

lazurus is going to be released during gencon so maybe nightmare version if him?

also big rumor is that all the models in book 4 are going to be all plastic

Can you go into more detail about book 4 scuttlebutt? I've been on a limited Internet connection for a few weeks now and am out of the loop. What bag? Who is Lazurus? Is it still focusing on Special Forces?

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Dominion posted:

If you do want to try to pin them, I think .5mm or maybe .85 mm is as big as you will be able to drill and still have any foot left around the hole.

This would be my recommendation, and in fact it's exactly what I did. I'd go with the 0.85mm pin, 0.5 is extremely flimsy an easy to bend by accident.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Still plugging through my Collette crew, only ten models to go!

Bigger: http://imgur.com/AQCbZ.jpg

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Dominion posted:

I like the colors and you look like you have good brush control but what is going on with your paint? It looks like it has sand in it.

lovely undercoat :(

I think I'll strip and re-prime the remaining models.

Eyespy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 1, 2012

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Tollymain posted:

I really want to get into this game, but there isn't a very big contingent for it at the LFGS and I don't know which faction or master I want to start with :ohdear:

Who do you think looks the coolest? Start with that master and you won't go too far wrong.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Tollymain posted:

Welp, I did it. Done laid down my order for the Freikorps starter kit. I mostly did it because I liked the look and hoped it wouldn't be too difficult to paint. How strong are Von Schill and his jackbooted minions, and what's the optimal playstyle for them?

Von Schill is a bit of a beast, at least by reputation. I can't speak for his play style, but as a mercenary you can add almost any other master you like, which will radically alter how your crew plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

I finished my Collette starter box last night and got my first showgirls game today. My very first use of Disappearing Act flips the God Hand, Red Joker with a 13 Tomes on the soulstone, turning my opponents Warpig into a mannequin.

:smug: