Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Well, as a budding McMourning player who was considering whether to go more Ressers or Guild (with Reva or 'Dita, first), my decision appears to have been made for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

One of my buddies is definitely salivating over getting it... eventually. I don't know how many other people in our region (western MA) are, but I'm checking in with the New England Malifaux discord to see. It looks interesting but I can barely afford the Mali models I want right now/in 3e.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Snack Bitch posted:

I don’t think you are wrong. Look at Parker, his whole gimmick was swapping upgrades on the fly. They removed it and now his crew is just another shoot things crew. M3E just doesn’t feel well thought out.

That's for sure. The best part is that the website still reflects masters the way they started out in the closed beta (like Seamus' pass token-based crew). The whole thing just feels like they were throwing poo poo at a wall and seeing what stuck.

I'm a previous McM/Reva player and Reva just looks awful now. I was playing her through the closed beta where she was god awful and it's kind of soured me, but maybe she's a little better now. I also decided to switch to Guild and woof is Family rough, even with the newest update.

Honestly, I fear for Wyrd. It's unfortunate, I would really like the rest of the Through the Breach books to come out, since that's what got me into Mali in the first place.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

LeSquide posted:

They drop a lot of interesting hints across all three gamelines. They've name dropped a potential Neverborn book (From Nightmares) as the potential next supplement; I still hope we'll see it.

From my understanding it was that, then a 10T book.

Above the Law is also extremely good and gives a really interesting and in-depth look at the structure and operations of the Guild. We were going to run a Guild campaign but then an old friend came and showed up and has been wanting to run Pathfinder's Skull & Shackles AP, so... pushing on through that. :negative:

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They’ve posted a newsletter with the release plans;

June is the rulebook at $20 and the updated faction card packs at $20.

Starting in July they’re releasing faction army books 2 at a time and starting to release the primary faction posses.

Before the end of the year they’ll be releasing a new faction.

To reduce bloat they’ve paired down the SKUs by half and started packing synergistic combos in together. For the next year they say they’re going to work with LGS’s to offer special orders of models now included in box sets so you don’t have to rebuy models you already own.

Additionally they'll be offering something to retailers that will let them update the cards in their current boxes and throw on an M3e sticker, that way they're not just sitting on old stock. I'm kind of excited for this. I played Guild Ball at a new place the other day and met some Mali players, so I'm hoping I'll have new people to play with soon.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Aaaah I'm extremely amped for this. I played in a beta league through June and had a great time. Need to finish building my Forgotten crew in time for Sunday - one of the local shops is doing some kind of event for release (not sure what, just that it's not a tournament).

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

I played my first "official" game yesterday, Molly w/ McM vs Viktorias. I didn't entirely play to the objective, I was having too much fun dicking around with Crooligans. McM is pretty satisfying as well.

Our lgs is doing a 3 week grow league in July I'm hoping to get in on.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Technically there's supposed to be the Neverborn faction book as well, but... We'll see. TTB2e is pretty fun IMO. Some of the target numbers on the upper end of the game get a little wild though (higher station enemies having defenses that are nearly untouchable without a good amount of investment, and even still hard to reach when you do that).

The character creation is great though. Each expansion also has a different version of the tarot to make the PC's with as well. My character for a Guild campaign that didn't get off the ground was a Witch Hunter who's tarot was very much putting her on the path to facing down/encountering Rasputina or someone like her and that was pretty cool.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

I think the tarot/fate system is really cool but my first couple of characters had absolute nonsense. That's probably the toughest part.

Stuff like:

quote:

If you refuse the hero's call,
You will not heed the mentor,
And you will leave her hanging.
Frozen hearths crawl along the stone
The ends will come to all

Or

quote:

When hope drowns but in three tears
Your relic will rush & gleam
And you will remember the mirror and shatter the stream
Then in the middle of none, there is one
And the motion stutters and shutters

The second one didn't go where I thought it might - RELIC HAMMERS!

For final comparison's sake, here's my Witch Hunter:

quote:

Beyond the city walls,
you will stumble between worlds,
and find tears on the mountain's side.
Her last words are a frozen river,
and you will disappear beneath the swirling waters.

If Raspy isn't drowning him with her bare hands I don't know what I've done wrong. My FM also ran the game much more like a D&D campaign than anything anyway - the fates were pretty meaningless by the end IMO, but I think that's just his style of running the game.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Ototo would definitely make a good Henchman for Henchman Hardcore. Who did your friend pick up?

I'd definitely start with that or a 35-ish stone game (that's usually about what you'll get in a Core box alone), then go from there. Last Blossom is rad, I recommend the Wokou Raiders if you can find them! The Crime Syndicate is also a must-have for them, imo.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

I take back what I said about Katashiro. Minako Rei is even worse to build oh my god.

*laughs in Lampads*

Though it is nice to see posts here. I played a pretty good amount of games during release/GG0, but the pandemic has really hosed that up. I've played one game with the GG1 scheme pools since it came out. I don't think the TTS stuff has anything up to date or even complete, from what I've looked at. Vassal's the main thing.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

As far as Captain Zipp goes, he has more cross-faction potential, which is both good and bad since there's probably some weird one-off model in a box you won't otherwise need.

Flipswitch, what master did your opponent play?

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Being honest, Kin are way better than Family

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Can't speak to your local community, but the New England area (eastern MA) had a 10 player in-person Covid-ready tournament a few weeks ago that drew people from around the region (I know WMA and Connecticut people who went). The Connecticut meta in particular has a few new players and many returning players who are chomping at the bit for in-store gaming to open up again.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Pyrolocutus posted:

Lady J and McMourning really have it in for each other in the fluff, so it's also thematic :) Hope you enjoy playing 'em!

I demo the game using their henchmen usually on a 2'x2' mat, they're a great combo for showing off the game.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

The cheap ones have this blueish tint to them in my experience and that just fucks everything all up

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Great Gremlins!

My local meta has a league going on with 26 players signed up! My first game for it will be tomorrow, Explorers vs Explorers. I'm pretty sure my opponent will be bringing Basse, which might be a bummer for him since I'm going to have Ivan.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Nah, Pandora is annoying but not a total nightmare the way she was in earlier editions.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

I'd second Misaki for a good starter master in 10T. For Neverborn, Titania or Nekima make good first choices - the first is tanky and has fun terrain marker bullshit, and the second is more of a beater, and her crew can get more powerful by eating corpses to grow stronger.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

The league I've been playing in is coming to its final round tomorrow. I'm currently 3-2, I had games against 3 newbie opponents and then two better ones. Ivan's a mean bastard! I can't bring him out for friendly games.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

I think he can be. His title doesn't seem as oppressive.

He's certainly counterable by a good player. But he has a lot of options and is really forgiving of mistakes. He gets positives to pretty much everything he does from very easily available resources, which he can trade one of for min 3 damage or a possible summon on his range 10 attack. His main support model, Gibson, has a strong shockwave that hands out Distracted, and can give out fast and make shadow markers. Plus his melee heal Umbra models. And he can make enemy models burn their distracted defensively, giving them negatives to their resistance flips.

He also has a shockwave of his own, which is repeatable and puts out shadow markers that further buff him and the crew by providing Concealing and more vectors to Shade Step to. Between that shockwave, Gibson's shockwave, a stat 7 Execute on Corvis Rook, Corvis/Eva's defensive tech that forces negatives unless you discard, it's very easy to burn an opponent's hand out consistently. The rest of his crew is a pretty versatile toolbox.

I'm not a super great player (my positioning is trash and I tend to make bad decisions in deployment and turn 1, which can just shut me down from scoring as well as I should the rest of the game), but with Encroaching Shadows you can easily escape a lot of bad situations by pushing 6" and ignoring other models. This is another source of forced simple duels for your opponent, which leads to more card/hand pressure. It can feel bad when your opponent starts hitting you with multiple positives to all of their attacks, summons things that can Mimic your beater's best weapon and cause more flips if you leave base contact (the Daeva); or deal irreducible damage/force more movement duels/disable healing/also be Terrifying 11 (the Brocken Spectre), and then can give you negatives from multiple sources.

Hell, just summoning a model into base contact with an enemy is going to give you two free positives to any further attacks against them, because your summons provide 1" of Concealing Terrain, and the friendly fire you'd be dealing with turns into a positive.

But he's definitely counterable. Stun him so he can't use his triggers or bonus actions, take advantage of his low Mv, burn his health by killing his totem. Attack his summons extremely low WP. Marker removal has big play against him - god drat Poltergeists. Pressure his own hand (though Gibson, Rook, and the Operatives can all help get them back). He himself hates 7 wp models, since his attacks are stat 6.

midwifecrisis fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 5, 2021

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Theyre already back to dual faction? I thought ending that was a big thrusting point for 3rd.

No, the latest update called Malifaux Burns introduced alternative versions of every Master, along with another model with two keywords from different factions. They're released as a box with both alt Masters and the shared models. For instance, English Ivan and Misaki come in one box along with an enforcer named Jin Baccara who is both DUA and Last Blossom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

jodai posted:

I'm not good at the game in general but I love her and her key word, especially because they are good against undead and summons, which I hate. Domadores are awesome and will look great alongside the Nightmare crew.

It feels good to beat people up so choose objectives that require that but if they aren't available, she has options. She has 3 ap and leap, she is incredibly mobile! She can be jumping around the board and taking objectives, then retaliating when the opponent comes to her. The great sword even encourages this by potentially doing more damage if you haven't moved.

They're also really good at dealing with buried things, so extra good against Dreamer's summons and Tara as a whole. It's very fun.