Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Shanakin posted:

I think there are a bunch of lovely apps on the market that will try to recall both parts of the conversation through the mouthpiece microphone, so the other person comes out as really quiet.

I never understood why it was impossible to make an app that just did a nice job of recording both sides. I wish I could have both sides recorded and added to my Gmail account under a Phone Transcripts label like Google Voice voicemails. I do not have a good memory and sometimes this gets me into a lot of embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I never understood why it was impossible to make an app that just did a nice job of recording both sides. I wish I could have both sides recorded and added to my Gmail account under a Phone Transcripts label like Google Voice voicemails. I do not have a good memory and sometimes this gets me into a lot of embarrassment.

I would imagine there would be some pretty complicated legal issues involved with this.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Penguissimo posted:

I would imagine there would be some pretty complicated legal issues involved with this.

For one, pretty sure it's illegal to record someone, even over a phone call, without their consent.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Legal version: press record, it plays a message to both sides "this call is being recorded by the whadayasayjusnow android app"

Who cares version: state on the app download page that you have to tell the other person when you record a call.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

For one, pretty sure it's illegal to record someone, even over a phone call, without their consent.

The legality depends on the state. Some require both parties to consent while others only require one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
More importantly, as far as I know, in the US it's always legal to record anything you want (except in government buildings, thanks, Patriot Act!), although you can be thrown out of private buildings if they don't want you to do it inside (taking photos of prices in stores is a good example: they can't have you arrested but they can show you the door; same with camming a movie in the theater or flash photography in a museum). The laws against recording without notification are only concerned with the recording's legal status as admissible evidence in a courtroom. You can record anything you want for personal use. As far as I know, the only exception is the police in California, who cannot be recorded in any way for any reason including personal use (thanks, Rodney King!).

tl;dr: you have a video camera in your phone so the "people could use the app to record things" argument is bunk, and "reasonable expectation of privacy" only applies in court.

This legal stuff comes up every time though, and it's a derail to the question, I'm not saying "Why are there no apps?" because there are apps that do this already. I'm saying "Why are they all so lovely?" :downs:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

More importantly, as far as I know, in the US it's always legal to record anything you want (except in government buildings, thanks, Patriot Act!), although you can be thrown out of private buildings if they don't want you to do it inside (taking photos of prices in stores is a good example: they can't have you arrested but they can show you the door; same with camming a movie in the theater or flash photography in a museum). The laws against recording without notification are only concerned with the recording's legal status as admissible evidence in a courtroom. You can record anything you want for personal use. As far as I know, the only exception is the police in California, who cannot be recorded in any way for any reason including personal use (thanks, Rodney King!).

tl;dr: you have a video camera in your phone so the "people could use the app to record things" argument is bunk, and "reasonable expectation of privacy" only applies in court.

This legal stuff comes up every time though, and it's a derail to the question, I'm not saying "Why are there no apps?" because there are apps that do this already. I'm saying "Why are they all so lovely?" :downs:

Never mind then lol

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Is it still impossible to rent movies through the android market with a rooted phone? I remember when they first introduced the movies, rooted phones would get an error. But I've seen a few posts where people have said that even while rooted, they were able to rent a movie.

Anyone able to validate that at all?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This came up in conversation yesterday for me too: do the Nexus phones get a free pass on this when they're rooted or do you need to unroot to watch Market movies on them too?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Is there still no way to access Facebook group chats on android? One of my groups is doing a lot of planning via their group chat, and being able to check that on my phone would be helpful.

I've tried the official FB messenger app and Go Chat, but neither seem to be able to do that. Does this function just not exist for Android at this point?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Okay goons, help me out here.

This is the app I'm looking for:

wifi and/or bluetooth connectivity to my computer
functions as a mouse
functions as a keyboard

I've found many apps that work as a mouse over wifi, I've not really found any that work as a mouse and keyboard. I haven't seen any that allow bluetooth connectivity.

I REALLY want to be able to use my phone as a mouse/keyboard connected to my tablet PC over bluetooth.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Is there a way to sort Contacts by group? "Display Options" is pretty weak, only allows "by first name" or "by last name". I hate having businesses and stuff mixed in with family and friends when I'm rolling through contacts in a hurry, and have been handling it by manually adding "Family:" or "Work:" etc to the front of people's names to make blocks of the correct content, but various apps grab that as the contact's first name, which is lovely.

It's frustrating because I can go onto the internet and tag my contacts with group names, so Google knows I want that functionality, but I'm not sure when/where that information gets used; it doesn't seem to be available at the phone level.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

nickhimself posted:

Okay goons, help me out here.

This is the app I'm looking for:

wifi and/or bluetooth connectivity to my computer
functions as a mouse
functions as a keyboard

I've found many apps that work as a mouse over wifi, I've not really found any that work as a mouse and keyboard. I haven't seen any that allow bluetooth connectivity.

I REALLY want to be able to use my phone as a mouse/keyboard connected to my tablet PC over bluetooth.

Try Mobile Mouse

It works through Wifi, but it's the best mouse app I've used yet.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Splizwarf posted:

I can tell you from seeing it first had several time in the many years I had worked in movie theaters, you can and will be arrested if they catch you camming a movie.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh durr, I forgot about the "unauthorized copies is a federal crime" blurb on every single movie I've ever watched on DVD or VHS. I am retarded. I stand by the rest of it, though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Recording a phone call without permission in some states can result in criminal charges.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

The Law posted:

The U.S. federal law allows recording of phone calls and other electronic communications with the consent of at least one party to the call. A majority of the states and territories have adopted wiretapping statutes based on the federal law, although most have also extended the law to cover in-person conversations. 38 states and the D.C. permit recording telephone conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so.

12 states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

It is illegal under all jurisdictions to record calls in which one is not a party.

So, if you don't live in one of those states, you should be in the clear.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good app to record calls on a SGS2? Ideally it'd integrate into the call menu and work on a manual basis, so I can turn it on when I need to record something I can't be arsed to write down.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.killermobile.totalrecall.s2.trial

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Splizwarf posted:

This came up in conversation yesterday for me too: do the Nexus phones get a free pass on this when they're rooted or do you need to unroot to watch Market movies on them too?

Dunno, but if it's still locked out you can probably do something like this:

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/index.php?topic=16930.0

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The full version of BeyondPod is on sale for $1.99 at the moment - well worth picking up

http://beyondpod.com/blog/beyondpod-black-friday-sale-save-over-70/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dissss posted:

The full version of BeyondPod is on sale for $1.99 at the moment - well worth picking up

http://beyondpod.com/blog/beyondpod-black-friday-sale-save-over-70/

How does it compare to Pocket Casts?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I'm sure it's been mentioned in the thread, but Juicedefender ultimate kinda rocks. I've been playing with an HTC Incredible running CM7.1 and just got a ridiculous 3500mah (actually 4000mah) battery for it. After wiping battery stats and setting up a moderate profile in juicedefender (turns off GPS/BT when they're not being used, and only enables wifi when the screen's turned on and I'm within range of a configured AP), I'm getting absolutely fantastic battery life. I last charged this thing 3 days and 23 hours ago and it's sitting at 74% with moderate usage during that time. Before I got the new battery and setup Juicedefender I was getting ~1-1.5 days with moderate to heavy usage, so I cannot complain one bit.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 26, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Tadhg posted:

Is there still no way to access Facebook group chats on android? One of my groups is doing a lot of planning via their group chat, and being able to check that on my phone would be helpful.

I've tried the official FB messenger app and Go Chat, but neither seem to be able to do that. Does this function just not exist for Android at this point?

Uh are you sure the messenger app can't do it? Im in several group chats right now and I use the messenger app all the time for it. Its loving awesome.

I think you might have to start the group chat on a phone using the messenger app itself though. Once you do that you can chat on both the website and the messenger app. It does work though and remarkably well.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Uh are you sure the messenger app can't do it? Im in several group chats right now and I use the messenger app all the time for it. Its loving awesome.

I think you might have to start the group chat on a phone using the messenger app itself though. Once you do that you can chat on both the website and the messenger app. It does work though and remarkably well.

I can get it to do a group as in "multiple people I've selected to share messages between" I can't seem to get it to chat in an actual Group Chat, i.e. a chat window associated with membership in a Facebook group (which are almost like standing chat rooms.)

Maybe I'm just dumb, though, and need to mess with it some more. I'd rather it be my own incompetence than the functionality not exist yet.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 26, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

grumperfish posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned in the thread, but Juicedefender ultimate kinda rocks. I've been playing with an HTC Incredible running CM7.1 and just got a ridiculous 3500mah (actually 4000mah) battery for it. After wiping battery stats and setting up a moderate profile in juicedefender (turns off GPS/BT when they're not being used, and only enables wifi when the screen's turned on and I'm within range of a configured AP), I'm getting absolutely fantastic battery life. I last charged this thing 3 days and 23 hours ago and it's sitting at 74% with moderate usage during that time. Before I got the new battery and setup Juicedefender I was getting ~1-1.5 days with moderate to heavy usage, so I cannot complain one bit.

I don't like to shitpost but you more than doubled (nearly tripled?) Your battery capacity and are getting approximately 3-3.5 times your previous uptime? Good but not mindblowing really, I like juice defender, the free version + data scheduling + woofi gets me over 24 hours medium - heavy use on the standard 1500mah battery (actually down to about 980mah after a year of rape)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I may have misunderstood but it sounds like he has gotten almost four days out of his phone and he still has almost three quarters of his battery left.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Codiusprime posted:

I may have misunderstood but it sounds like he has gotten almost four days out of his phone and he still has almost three quarters of his battery left.

yeah even with an extended battery thats pretty good. I've noticed a big improvement from Juice Defender myself, but only because my 3G signal sucks at work. If you have a decent signal most of the time, I don't think it helps as much

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Maybe I'm just using it wrong, but I just tried that Juicedefender thing overnight and I'm getting no improvement out of it at all.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Splizwarf posted:

I never understood why it was impossible to make an app that just did a nice job of recording both sides.

Exactly. My old Nokia E51 would start recording both sides of the coversation with a press of the camera button. It was ridiculously easy and useful. I can't think of any technical reasons for it not being possible on Android. There has to be some bullshit legal pussyfooting going around.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Cakefool posted:

I don't like to shitpost but you more than doubled (nearly tripled?) Your battery capacity and are getting approximately 3-3.5 times your previous uptime? Good but not mindblowing really, I like juice defender, the free version + data scheduling + woofi gets me over 24 hours medium - heavy use on the standard 1500mah battery (actually down to about 980mah after a year of rape)

Yeah most of it's tied to the new battery, although I was getting ~1.5 more life out of it prior to replacing the battery. The previous one was non-standard and capacity was ~2200mah. I mean it's not magic or anything, and won't work wonders. I guess I was surprised that android doesn't turn-off wifi/etc when not necessary as that was a feature of even winmo6 of all things.

Codiusprime posted:

That's what I was trying to get at. I haven't really used it much since last night much but:

future ghost fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 26, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ah my apologies, I misread that you'd used 74%. That is pretty good.

On that topic, anyone with a 12 month old phone who plans on keeping it, consider investing in a new battery - my battery has lost 1/3 if it's total capacity in 12 months so I should go up to a day and a half with a new battery which is pretty drat good for powering a 5" screen.

Edit: 2 of those days look to be pretty drat light usage :v:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 26, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tadhg posted:

I can get it to do a group as in "multiple people I've selected to share messages between" I can't seem to get it to chat in an actual Group Chat, i.e. a chat window associated with membership in a Facebook group (which are almost like standing chat rooms.)

Maybe I'm just dumb, though, and need to mess with it some more. I'd rather it be my own incompetence than the functionality not exist yet.

Yeah your missing something because the messenger app does that. This is exactly what I use it for.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah your missing something because the messenger app does that. This is exactly what I use it for.

Mind posting your method, then?

I've played around with it some more. I can make conversations with individuals, and I can make conversations with multiple people into one chat. I still can't find a way to join a chat for a FB Group page, though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does Facebook Messenger use C2DM?

Also Fing is a pretty cool network diagnostic tool.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

On that topic, anyone with a 12 month old phone who plans on keeping it, consider investing in a new battery - my battery has lost 1/3 if it's total capacity in 12 months so I should go up to a day and a half with a new battery which is pretty drat good for powering a 5" screen.

Mine's having the same issues. Going to pick up one or two of the $25 Lenmar replacements someday soon.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

StickFigs posted:

I was thinking about trying out one of these HDR camera apps. Which one is considered the best?

Still pondering this if anyone knows about them.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there anything like AirVideo for Android tablets? As in it'll stream your content on your PC to the tablet?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tadhg posted:

Mind posting your method, then?

I've played around with it some more. I can make conversations with individuals, and I can make conversations with multiple people into one chat. I still can't find a way to join a chat for a FB Group page, though.

I didn't really do anything special though. My group chat's were already in the conversation view when I downloaded the app :unsmith: so I don't know what up with that.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does Facebook Messenger use C2DM?

I **think** it does but I'm not sure. Whatever it uses, be it C2DM or something else, it works loving great and causes no noticeable battery drain so I could really care less what it uses.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Methodis posted:

Is there anything like AirVideo for Android tablets? As in it'll stream your content on your PC to the tablet?

Try Emit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Everyone was discussing launchers not too long ago, but I didn't see anybody mention Circle Launcher.

I was a huge fan of LPP, and then I switched over to Go Launcher which made my phone slow as gently caress and just made me frustrated.

I went back to Sense and put one circle dock in the middle of my main screen with a bunch of useful apps and I loving love it. It's blazing fast and super simple. I even made the icon transparent so it just looks like there's nothing there but wallpaper. I've also thrown in a couple of other circle docks on surrounding screens sorted by category.

How can I take screenshots of my phone without root?

• Locked thread