Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Radbot posted:

Try Emit.

Or Qloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
I know you could swipe in the bottm left corner of the swype keyboard to get specific cursor control, is there a way to get specific curson control on the gingerbread keyboard?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

Everyone was discussing launchers not too long ago, but I didn't see anybody mention Circle Launcher.

I was a huge fan of LPP, and then I switched over to Go Launcher which made my phone slow as gently caress and just made me frustrated.

I went back to Sense and put one circle dock in the middle of my main screen with a bunch of useful apps and I loving love it. It's blazing fast and super simple. I even made the icon transparent so it just looks like there's nothing there but wallpaper. I've also thrown in a couple of other circle docks on surrounding screens sorted by category.

How can I take screenshots of my phone without root?

Can you answer something for me? I mean this as a totally honest question, because you're not the first person to rave about Circle Launcher, and I really don't understand it. What advantages does it hold over just using the stock folder function on your homescreen?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

AnimalChin posted:

I was a huge fan of LPP, and then I switched over to Go Launcher which made my phone slow as gently caress and just made me frustrated.

Hey goons, I figured out what the gently caress was going on (with launchers)!

I was having that issue with LauncherPro (still not resolved but unrelated to this post) so I decided to try Go Launcher, which ran slow as poo poo for me, even though many goons reported it ran snappy and fast and great. Then I tried ADW Launcher, which ran even worse, even though many goons etc etc. I got pissed and installed Zeam, billed as "the minimalist launcher" with no extras like widgets and stuff; this ran ridiculously slow. I was starting to waffle between :tinfoil: and :smith:.

Then I went back to LauncherPro. Which ran slow as gently caress. Which I just ignored for a while because I was still pretty :smith: about the whole thing, but then I got really suspicious, switched to Go Launcher, and deleted LP, ADW, and Zeam.

Guess what? Go Launcher really is retarded fast! Every launcher that I installed slowed poo poo down worse and worse! When you try other launchers, they're probably going to suck compared to what you have been using. Backup your extra launchers and uninstall them!

My apologies if this is already well-known.:ohdear:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I just installed Airdroid. It is a remote app for controlling your phone via web browser. It is the slickest solution I've seen as far as texts right from my computer. Now I don't even have to take my hand off the keyboard!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

AnimalChin posted:

Everyone was discussing launchers not too long ago, but I didn't see anybody mention Circle Launcher.

I went back to Sense and put one circle dock in the middle of my main screen with a bunch of useful apps and I loving love it. It's blazing fast and super simple. I even made the icon transparent so it just looks like there's nothing there but wallpaper. I've also thrown in a couple of other circle docks on surrounding screens sorted by category.

Someone did mention it but it's still pretty neat. As far as I know, unrooted screenshots require some kind of debugging software on your computer that you hook the phone up too. I thought about it, but :effort:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Penguissimo posted:

Can you answer something for me? I mean this as a totally honest question, because you're not the first person to rave about Circle Launcher, and I really don't understand it. What advantages does it hold over just using the stock folder function on your homescreen?
I liked it because it makes the application icons appear right around your fingertip, instead of at the top of the screen. It's ever so slightly quicker than using a folder. It also looks fairly nice.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Gyshall posted:

I just installed Airdroid. It is a remote app for controlling your phone via web browser. It is the slickest solution I've seen as far as texts right from my computer. Now I don't even have to take my hand off the keyboard!

Nice find, I think I like that better than Remote Web Desktop.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

AnimalChin posted:

You to want to follow the steps in this article.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I didn't really do anything special though. My group chat's were already in the conversation view when I downloaded the app :unsmith: so I don't know what up with that.

More web searching, checking with other folks, and loving with it on my own. It looks like that functionality just doesn't exist, which makes me wonder just what the hell it is that you're seeing?

"It just works," isn't replicable, so I think I'm giving up on this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there a widget that will let me toggle 4g on and off?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BathroomTile posted:

You to want to follow the steps in this article.

Alternatively he mentioned Sense and some Sense phones have native screenshots built in. AnimalChin, what phone do you have?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dickeye posted:

Is there a widget that will let me toggle 4g on and off?

Depends on your phone. LTE Switch isn't a true widget, but works for Verizon 4G.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ciabatta posted:

Depends on your phone. LTE Switch isn't a true widget, but works for Verizon 4G.

Sweet.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Going back to the recent launcher discussion, LP+ was the first launcher I tried when I got my Evo, and I haven't had any great need to try anything else. I briefly tried ADW, but it didn't offer me anything better/different from what I was using in LP+. I also tried Go Launcher for about a week recently, but ended up going back to good ol' LP+. Go was nice, but there were some little things that kept bothering me. I didn't like the fact that seemingly everything besides the launcher itself was a separate "app" that had to be downloaded. I can understand how people would like not having widgets they don't need included and taking up space on their phone, but during the initial setup it was annoying. Seemed like every time I went to add a widget, I had to go to the market and download it first.

On some level it bugs me that there hasn't been any LP updates in ages, even though I have no major problems with it. I think part of it may just be that for a while after the Plus version came out we were getting regular updates and then suddenly they stopped completely. There are a couple new features that would be nice to have, but they're not dealbreakers for me since I've lived without them for so long.

1) I'd like to see the Friends widget updated to have G+ support as well. I use that widget fairly regularly so I can post stuff to FB and twitter at the same time and it'd be nice to push to G+ as well from the same spot.

2) An email widget like the one that comes with Sense and supports the stock email client. I know some of the third party mail apps like K9 or TouchDown have their own widgets that are similar, but nothing I've tried comes close to the one that comes with Sense.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cardiovorax posted:

I liked it because it makes the application icons appear right around your fingertip, instead of at the top of the screen. It's ever so slightly quicker than using a folder. It also looks fairly nice.

Is circlelauncher a complete replacement launcher? I liked the sound of it & if I can replace folders with circular launcher icons that's be great but if not I'm happy with LPP for now.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification—this has been driving me nuts for a while!

Cakefool posted:

Is circlelauncher a complete replacement launcher? I liked the sound of it & if I can replace folders with circular launcher icons that's be great but if not I'm happy with LPP for now.

It's actually a widget, so you can try it in any launcher you want.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I am really enjoying it! Made the circles completely transparent, nice and clean. It's also very fast and smooth, much nicer than a regular ole folder.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Has anyone used Exfoliate for Facebook?

It goes through your entire facebook history automatically and deletes old content, for example likes on friends walls from 3 years ago. Can't find too much information on its effectiveness or trustworthiness (you have to give it access to your facebook account obviously) but it's on sale this weekend for $0.99.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

THF13 posted:

Has anyone used Exfoliate for Facebook?

It goes through your entire facebook history automatically and deletes old content, for example likes on friends walls from 3 years ago. Can't find too much information on its effectiveness or trustworthiness (you have to give it access to your facebook account obviously) but it's on sale this weekend for $0.99.

What is the point?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
While I'm sure everything I've posted on facebook is already in a dozen different databases by now, removing everything from facebook that I've posted over the last 6 years should at least make it a little bit more difficult for anyone who can break a single one of my friends passwords to learn everything I've ever liked, posted, joined or been tagged in.

It's extremely frustrating to do this on your own as facebook actively tries to prevent it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why don't you just delete your account?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

That is the ideal solution but my friends use facebook pretty extensively to communicate and plan things so I don't want to get rid of it entirely. The app looks like it can let me use facebook while making it more difficult for someone to see old posts that I have no reason to keep on facebook.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

THF13 posted:

That is the ideal solution but my friends use facebook pretty extensively to communicate and plan things so I don't want to get rid of it entirely. The app looks like it can let me use facebook while making it more difficult for someone to see old posts that I have no reason to keep on facebook.

If you're that concerned about privacy, stop posting things on a public service designed to share that information.

Use the service only for private communications and plans.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

If you're that concerned about privacy, stop posting things on a public service designed to share that information.

Use the service only for private communications and plans.

pst it sounds like he's already reached that conclusion and now just wants to do something about the stuff left over from before he made that transition

edit: Also, it's slightly entertaining that goon-made private browser Beaver shows up in the recommended apps on the page for Exfoliate.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Penguissimo posted:

pst it sounds like he's already reached that conclusion and now just wants to do something about the stuff left over from before he made that transition

edit: Also, it's slightly entertaining that goon-made private browser Beaver shows up in the recommended apps on the page for Exfoliate.

I understand what he's looking for and have wanted a feature like this in Facebook for a while.

First example of why this would be useful: Ex-girlfriend related posts so your current girlfriend doesn't get all snoop-happy and decide to go through your previous wall posts to see what you used to write about your ex and why you don't write those things about her.

Stuff like that would be nice to delete without having to manually do it one at a time.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Right now I use google voice and the chrome extension to send/receive texts on my desktop at work. However, I'm getting tired of the fact that GV doesn't integrate with my phone deeply enough to show notifications on my lock screen and poo poo.

I follow this thread regularly, so I know there are apps that can route texts to my normal number to my desktop, but I can't remember any.

What apps should I use to replace GV text functionality? I don't care about voicemail cause I will be using GV for that still.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I love DeskSMS, it's by Koush and it has some nice options. Forwards to chrome extension, email or gtalk. Love it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

nickhimself posted:

First example of why this would be useful: Ex-girlfriend related posts so your current girlfriend doesn't get all snoop-happy and decide to go through your previous wall posts to see what you used to write about your ex and why you don't write those things about her.

Stuff like that would be nice to delete without having to manually do it one at a time.
I realise you're just giving an example, but to address it at face-value, if this is a problem with a current boyfriend or girlfriend, it's good to get all the crazy out before you make a long-term commitment.

Aside, I've noticed lots of my friends leave all the smoochy pictures with their exes up.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Codiusprime posted:

I love DeskSMS, it's by Koush and it has some nice options. Forwards to chrome extension, email or gtalk. Love it.

I have enough abandoned paid apps littering the My Apps section of the Market to be extremely wary of subscription based purchases on Android.

Edit: To be fair it is Koush. If there's one person I would trust to keep a subscription app up to date it would be him.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 28, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jewce posted:

Right now I use google voice and the chrome extension to send/receive texts on my desktop at work. However, I'm getting tired of the fact that GV doesn't integrate with my phone deeply enough to show notifications on my lock screen and poo poo.

Not actually answering your question directly, but I use WidgetLocker and the Google Voice widget to do exactly that - show GV texts and missed calls on my lock screen. You can even flip through them.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have enough abandoned paid apps littering the My Apps section of the Market to be extremely wary of subscription based purchases on Android.

Here's a not as fancy free SMS from desktop browser app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.application.Mozimobi

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit: To be fair it is Koush. If there's one person I would trust to keep a subscription app up to date it would be him.

Is it subscription??

I guess it is as I paid five bucks for a year. I can understand your hesitation but it is a pretty great app. As the person above me noted though there are a fair amount of free alternatives.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So, AirDroid

Ran across this in my Google+ stream yesterday and it's the best thing ever. Simple, wireless file transfers. SMS search, send, receive, and group send. Manage apps. Manage running processes. Manage everything.

From your web browser.

It's fast, it's intuitive, and it works better than anything of its kind I've run across.

Oh, and it's free.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ConfusedUs posted:

So, AirDroid

Ran across this in my Google+ stream yesterday and it's the best thing ever. Simple, wireless file transfers. SMS search, send, receive, and group send. Manage apps. Manage running processes. Manage everything.

From your web browser.

It's fast, it's intuitive, and it works better than anything of its kind I've run across.

Oh, and it's free.

Yeah it's amazing, unplugging my charger and bringing it downstairs is always a pain, now I can just monitor my phone from my laptop which is always in the living room.

Now if he could just add certain app support like for what'sapp and g+ messenger it would be perfect.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

So, AirDroid

From your web browser.

Oh, and it's free.

Holy crap this is pretty awesome. I've been using SMS2PC, which isn't bad. But this should be a easy way to move things to SD card.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

ConfusedUs posted:

So, AirDroid

From your web browser.

Oh, and it's free.

It was already mentioned on this very page, and yes it's very cool. I'm sticking with Mozimobi for SMSing from browser as it seems more lightweight as a always running background service and the browser app gives me an audio alert when a new message comes in. I should put that in as a feature request to the AirDroid folks.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Airdroid is pretty baller, I'm loving how detailed it is. It's a shame it doesn't mark SMS as read on your phone when you view them on there though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ConfusedUs posted:

So, AirDroid

From your web browser.

Oh, and it's free.

This owns pretty hard. I was about ready to get pissed after JUST dumping $5 into DeskSMS but it should be noted that AirDroid requires the phone and PC to be on the same network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This owns pretty hard. I was about ready to get pissed after JUST dumping $5 into DeskSMS but it should be noted that AirDroid requires the phone and PC to be on the same network.

I was slightly irritated myself, that's a good point though, thanks! I bought DeskSMS to use primarily at work, where there is no wifi.

• Locked thread