Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So I finally got fed up with the shitacular Facebook app leaving GPS on even after I exit it. The app shits its pants if you deny it location via CM settings so I decided to give LBE a whirl. It's a drat nice app and does exactly what I want but I'm curious how it's so nice when its free. Is it open source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fudsak posted:

What is LBE?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lbe.security.lite

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm really interested in this App...but something this powerful also makes me nervous that it's also doing nefarious things...

Yeah, I know... :tinfoil:

I'm normally not very :tinfoil: but for some reason LBE makes me feel weird. It's too good. Especially free. 10 to 1 says it's nothing but still. I can't read the developer's website because the entire thing is in Chinese.

Edit: Apparently there's an English button but the English site is hamstrung compared to the Chinese one.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 4, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

Yeah...that makes me feel even weirder about it...

I think I'll hold off for now.

Well, if it makes you feel any better it has quite a following on XDA. Despite their stupidity there's at least one whistle blower there. It's been around for awhile but the English Market version is fairly recent.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Frogmanv2 posted:

Sounds like you want friendcaster

FriendCaster is awesome on Honeycomb. Haven't tried it on 2.x though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slopehead posted:

LBE is the only permission manager that I've seen that actually loving works (without crashing applications) and does it in an elegant manner. I'd like to think that the developers are likeminded tinfoilhatters who are seriously concerned about application permissions and realize that their work is nigh invaluable.

I'd much rather have app developers not have their apps self destruct when they receive a Denied response. It's lovely on their part and worse, it's deliberate.

I'll agree that LBE is loving stellar. I just wish they had a bit more openness on their part. The only solid comfort I have about it is that it hasn't been ousted from the Market. I sure as poo poo wouldn't install it from anywhere else and even then it's not like the Market has a perfect record.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 4, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Urfdser posted:

I was having a problem where I would go to the market and My Apps would show about 15 apps. So nothing on my phone was getting updated. I finally figured out that its because I have 2 Google accounts and 1 Gapps account and the market magically linked itself to the wrong one.

So I switched it back, performed about 5000 updates. But now I'm stuck with 15 apps on the wrong account. Is there an easy way to move them? Or is it just uninstall/reinstall or just remember to switch Market accounts to do updates every now and then? If the market is supposed to do updates for all accounts it certainly wasn't.

It was a big problem on the old markets. Try the new version that's been rolling out the past few days. A quick Google search should get you the apk.

As for the 15 apps you have, the only solution I found was reinstalling them. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nickhimself posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question:

Somehow, some way, my phone downloaded my profile picture from Blogger and it shows up in my gallery but I CAN NOT delete it. There's literally no delete option, only Share and Details.

Any idea how I can get rid of this picture?

While in grid view long press the picture so it gets a check mark. Down below you should see a delete option. If that doesn't work find it with a file explorer app.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm retarded, that won't work. It's there because it's a picture it sync'ed with Picasa. Pictures uploaded to Blogger will appear in your Picasa account.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slopehead posted:

Wait wait wait. You guys are excessively paranoid about an application designed to help you feel better about your excessive paranoia about the permissions of other applications.

:psyboom:

My excessive paranoia is from the fact that the app is a) too good to be free and b) Chinese and lets be honest, China is the wild west of software fuckery and shenanigans. And considering that this is literally the only thing we can reference it's kind of unsettling.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Living Vicariously posted:

Yeah, when WidgetLocker works it's good but it's incredibly quirky. I've used it on three or four roms across two phones and it's never really worked smoothly.

Which is a shame because I love the ICS lockscreen.

I get a pretty hard core freak out from WidgetLocker at least once a day. That being said, I still use it because the ICS lockscreen is titties.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

900ftjesus posted:

a closed-source ROM from China.

And that's exactly why I don't use it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Anymore I tell people to GTalk or GTFO.

This is me. I wish native video chat in Talk wasn't busted as poo poo in AOSP though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Urfdser posted:

can't disable the default icon.

Is that not CM?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Urfdser posted:

It is. I'd be lying if I said I ever looked for a way to hide it though. I dealt with 2 of them in Sense for so long that when I installed CM7 I was already used to it. I just checked after reading this and the most I can find is how to disable the bar and just show a battery icon. Now everyone picking on my double batteries has me considering just uninstalling the Battery app and finding another way to check the temp from the status bar.

Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Interface > Status Bar Tweaks > Battery Status Style > Hidden

If it's not there I'm guessing the version of CM you're running is fairly old.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IanCaw posted:

Is Spare Parts still the go-to app for finding out what is wake-locking your phone?

I have huge regions of time on my (original, stock gingerbread) Droid X that are listed as wake-state in the battery usage graph, but no particular program is listed beyond "Android OS". I remember Spare Parts got bandied about as the app that could find out such details, but the reviews for it on AppBrain and the Market seem really old -- is there a new hotness for this purpose?

I'd like to avoid things that also double as task killers, for the oft-repeated reasons.

Better Battery Stats. Free on XDA (search) or paid on the Market.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dissss posted:

Better Battery Stats is what you want (have a search on XDA for a free version)

I get a tonne of awake time listed under wifi which isn't very helpful, it only started when a couple of neighbours got new access ponits so I guess its just wifi trying to pick my signal out from the mess of networks in the building.

Try different channels on your router or turn off auto and shove your channel way off to one of the extremes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

I've been using this for a bit, but for some reason the bars that show percentage are (I think) broken. Whenever I look at any of the stats, I just see a two-tone gray bar. Stock Evo 3D.

It's the qHD scaling and/or Sense that's breaking it. Looks great on on my girlfriend's CM7 G2x and looks adequate on my CM7 Sensation.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IT Guy posted:

Why does the FaceBook app randomly decide to hold a wake lock and drain my battery? I didn't open FaceBook all weekend on my phone yet it still did this:

Leathal posted:

It's because the Facebook app is loving terrible. Use the standalone FB messenger app and the mobile Facebook webpage instead.

To expand on that, the Facebook app has location services built into it but some dumb gently caress set to only poll fine location (GPS) so any time the app wakes up (contact refresh, new notification, etc) and you're indoors it's going to sit trying to get a location lock and not get it. The really neat thing is that you can't revoke Facebook's location permission using CM. Some rear end in a top hat went out of their way to have the app poo poo its pants if it hits a Denied message when trying to poll. So you're stuck using LBE Privacy Gaurd (spoofs but it's closed source and Chinese) or using the mobile site (which actually isn't horrible).

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 7, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Friendcaster doesen't do 'proper' push notifications though (im guessing because facebook hasn't made that an open API or something) instead it half-asses it by checking your emails to see if facebook sent you one. I don't have emails from facebook because otherwise they would clog up my inbox.

After poking around on their API's wiki it would appear that the only publicly available API's for notifications are a) pull and b) lovely and being phased out.

Edit: I could be horribly wrong about that though. I'm not a developer and it's kinda Greek to me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Penguissimo posted:

The sad thing is that at this point I'm not sure their developers could even be trusted to pull this off properly. You'd more likely wake up in the morning to find one of them with the first three digits of your parents' phone number scribbled onto a napkin and his dick stuck in the tailpipe of your car.

Wait, isn't that what Facebook is actually for? :ohdear:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cakefool posted:

I don't care about getting notified about facebook stuff, I'll happily manually check it a couple times a day at most, would friendcaster be a worthwhile download for me?

You'll lose Contact Sync. It didn't bug me much since I tend to get stuff into my Google Contacts as soon as possible.

Edit: vvvv Ah, I didn't know they had developed that far. My bad.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 8, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kyrosiris posted:

It's worth nothing that Estrong's File Explorer can both work with Dropbox and syncs properly down to your desktop/laptop/dog.

And it's free.
Mind. loving. BLOWN. Hot drat this is awesome.

BUY ME A CAT posted:

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but it does raise some serious concerns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcrmUTJZWw
This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Inspector_71 posted:

You can specifically tell PowerAmp which folders to scan for music, so I would say just segregate your music from your other stuff and make sure PowerAmp isn't scanning the non-music folders.

That advice is from having the PowerAmp trial installed for like 5 minutes though, so it may be wrong.

Nope, that's spot on.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can turn auto-correction off.

I'm drunk quite a bit and need it. I could never get Swype's autocorrect to find a happy balance between deciphering my inebriated attempts at the English language and converting it to moon language. I always fall back on the 2.3 AOSP keyboard.

Edit: To be fair I could drink less but I'm fairly sure that my poor grasp on the English language would still get converted to moon language. Swype! :argh:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 14, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

isochronous posted:

If your primary factor in picking out a keyboard is how well you can type on it drunk because you're drunk "quite a bit" I'm not even sure what to tell you because WHAT THE gently caress.

The quite a bit part was a joke and by "it" and mean prediction. :v:

Realistically, I'm a sloppy typist either on or off the sauce and more often than not I'm constantly having to babysit Swype with its goofy as poo poo prediction and spell check. The AOSP keyboard does a decent enough job at it, is multitouch at a level that lets me just bang out key presses like a boss and I just plain can't live without the punctuation bar after a space. Between that and speech-to-text (which is voodoo levels of good IMO) the AOSP keyboard is perfect.

I'm a keyboard slut though. I've bought all the big named ones and I've been in the Swype beta since day one. They all stay installed and I try out all the updates to all of them as they roll out but after a week I'm always back on AOSP. I do have to wonder if any of the current gen Google keyboard or the revamped ICS keyboard have any enhancements from the now bought out and dead BlindType. After the buyout there wasn't a single peep about it.

Edit: Actually I use a modified version of the AOSP keyboard. It's got a few nice tweaks that stock doesn't have.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 14, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GigaPeon posted:

Since I got it for free, I really don't care, but what about the people who paid for it? How does that bode for things to come?

It screws them. Hope the dev is open minded.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Splizwarf posted:

e: Hey goons, is there any potential downside to Google Music? IIRC the internet was up in arms originally about the possibility of getting screwed over :filez:, did that pan out?

The only down side I've seen is that the app is clunky but that's fixed by installing the ICS Music leak.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
If that means better/increased functionality, I'm down. Some things are worth money.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Amazing thing #57493 that ES File Explorer can do that I just now found:

Long press on a file > Properties > Show Checksum > check method > Calculate

:aaaaa:

No more having to gently caress with Windows' lovely fciv sum checker

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

ES File Explorer can literally do anything (except open pdf files). I don't know if it's a brand new feature, but long pressing on the buttons on the toolbar do different things. I can't believe this is a free app.

Between the dropbox syncing and the checksum calculator I'm blown away and yeah I agree, I can't believe it's free. I would easily give them monies.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Long press a file and there's a Properties or Permissions chooser?

Yes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Someone started back porting the ICS keyboard for use with 2.2/2.3

https://market.android.com/details?id=inputmethod.latin.ported&hl=en

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

internet celebrity posted:

This is a great keyboard, using the entire screen for suggestions was an awesome idea.

I love it and I'm super relieved they kept the punctuation suggestions after a space.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I guess they tried to make it easier but it just throws up a bunch more poo poo that gets in the goddamn way.

This. It seriously irritates me to no end. I kinda felt bad about only using Amazon for the Free App of the Day but now it just seals the deal.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can modify how strong you want the vibrations, I love this keyboard for this feature alone.

However, the sound is pretty low for me when hitting a key and I can't find the developer's e-mail anywhere to let them know that.

Try his thread on XDA.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darke posted:

Has Netflix been broken for anyone after the update about a month back? I'm running an unrooted Evo3D, and video now freezes 15-20 minutes while audio continues. I was hoping the recent update would have fixed it, but no luck.

The last update made it pretty lovely for a lot of us.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dissss posted:

The full version of BeyondPod is on sale for $1.99 at the moment - well worth picking up

http://beyondpod.com/blog/beyondpod-black-friday-sale-save-over-70/

How does it compare to Pocket Casts?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BathroomTile posted:

You to want to follow the steps in this article.

Alternatively he mentioned Sense and some Sense phones have native screenshots built in. AnimalChin, what phone do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Codiusprime posted:

I love DeskSMS, it's by Koush and it has some nice options. Forwards to chrome extension, email or gtalk. Love it.

I have enough abandoned paid apps littering the My Apps section of the Market to be extremely wary of subscription based purchases on Android.

Edit: To be fair it is Koush. If there's one person I would trust to keep a subscription app up to date it would be him.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 28, 2011

• Locked thread