Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
What do you guys recommend for a bill reminder/tracker app. It doesn't have to link to my accounts or anything like that. I'm coming from iOS and used billminder forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
My wife sends a bunch of video over MMS to family. Now that we have Gs3 its recording in 1080p which is great for us but the MMS app wont let her send that large of a video. Any tips on this?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Bought that beweather app yesterday, haven't been able to use it at all. Opened it up and I got a Liscense error. It's been updated twice now and still the same error. Emailed dev yesterday no response. Probably a good idea to steer clear saw a bunch of other people with the same issue.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

Reboot your phone. I had the same problem when I bought it yesterday and a reboot fixed it. It's working fine now.

Tried everything I can think of, still not working. Hopefully it's fixed soon. Hate when devs ignore emails at least send me a canned response back.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It will take them about three days to email you back to tell you there's a support ticket open where you'll have to retype everything you put in the email.

After that they'll ignore it for a week and then if you reply to your own issue they might say something like "Oh sorry, didn't realize this was open" without addressing your issue at all.

Then a week later they'll just delete (not close, they delete) the entire ticket and if you contact them again the process starts over again from step one.

Horrible, gently caress them I just went ahead and requested a refund on market.android.com. Thanks for the info!

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Do you guys have issues with certain words with SwiftKey? Like I have a server and every time I type in its address it completely screws it up and the only way to type it in is to switch to the built in keyboard. Anything with a period in it seems to make it go nuts. Like if I type in samplex.us.to using swiftkey it just wont do it.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Try longpressing on the complete address, it should let you add it as a "word".

This worked awesome! Thanks! SwiftKey is 10/10 for me now.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

I dunno, probably a company that wants to make money, considering their apps are free?

I paid $50 for 1Password on Mac/iPhone, and I'm kinda bummed their Android app looks like absolute garbage. I might switch to Lastpass if their Mac app is good. They also seem to be the only people who will just handle syncing for you instead of requiring Dropbox, etc., which always seemed annoying as hell.

I asked 1password yesterday about the full android app. Its in Alpha testing and under full development right now. I'm holding out for it but lastpass is really tempting especially since its so integrated into a bunch of 3rd party apps.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Teeter posted:

I just picked up the Galaxy S3 which is a huge upgrade for me but I'm looking for a few recommendations:

1: Some sort of security/anti-theft app. I've used theftaware and avast in the past but am wondering if there's something more people recommend here. Just something that will lock the phone down if sim card is switched as well as something that gives me remote access to check gps location, sound an alarm, and other useful stuff like that.

2: Anybody use a good speed dial widget? I used to use Go Launcher and liked their 4x4 contact widget for quick access to call/text people. I'm using Nova for now.

I use cerberus for the security stuff, I think I paid 5$ for a license or something like that. Not really sure on question 2.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Cerberus looks great and I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for the best app. Question though, it says one Cerberus account is good for multiple devices, does that mean that one account covers both mine and my wife's phones?

Yup I have 2 phones on my account and it works great. Cerberus is must have I think!

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Is presto worth buying? I picked up beyond pod and it says I need it to play podcasts at higher speeds. Does it do something more then just playing it faster? Seems weird that's not an included option within beyond pod.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

burnsep posted:

I've had recommendations for Witopia and Private Internet Access. Anyone have experience with either service, or care to mention another?

I use Private internet access right now and it works great. I had a horrible experience with tunnelbear. I was getting horrible speeds from them, I never got a single response from customer service for about 2 weeks. I ended up having to open a PayPal dispute which they never responded too. I would stay away from them.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I've been holding out for 1password to release their full android app for about a year now. Its supposedly been in testing for longer then that. I have a feeling its basically vaporware since they have shipped 2 huge updates on the iOS side. How easy is the import from 1password to lastpass? Anyone know how it imports my other data like CD keys and notes? I have about 600 items in my 1password DB and would prefer it all in one place.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there any way to make the stock camera in CM10.1 save straight to the external SD card? Can I symlink it or is that just asking for trouble?

There is this app that some people have had luck with. I never got it to work correctly with my GS3 when I was running Cm10 about a month ago.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
is there anyway to only show/search contacts that I want? I have everything unchecked across about 3 accounts but when I search in my contacts list it will still list contacts from those accounts. I just want to be able to search a specific account only and not the thousands of other contacts I have across other accounts.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

rock2much posted:

What's a good price on NFC tags? I want to nab some for "when my phone is on/near this tag, go completely silent" with Tasker.

I used http://tagsfordroid.com/ . I don't think they are the cheapest but from what I was told they have a little bit more memory in them than most others.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I need an app that turns off wifi when I leave my house and then turns it back on when I get home. Is Tasker the best way to do this? Is there an app that just does this? Thanks

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone else having weird issues with google calendar? My wife and I use our Calendar a ton and today I noticed some of my events are screwed up, One recurring event I have went two hours back and another went back an hour, somethings have not changed at all. This has to be a DST bug but we live in AZ so nothing should change. This is really messing us up since now we have no idea if our appointments or schedules are correct.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Cruseydr posted:

Thanks!

On an unrelated note, Tasker is on sale for $1.99 right now.

Thanks for posting this, I still even with the new UI have zero idea what I am doing with this, I'm assuming I will get my 2$ worth at some point.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Anyway to backup my pictures to my home server automatically each night? My wife takes a ton of pictures but usually only syncs it once a week. I want an extra layer if something happens. I can't believe crash plan or one of the other cloud backup companies haven't implemented something like this. I'd love be to be able to backup my phone directly to my crash plan account.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Rye Bread posted:

Can you only stream to one device or pc at a time with Play Music? My girlfriend and I have a gmail account we share for app purchases, so I'm curious if we should subscribe on there.

I just tried it on 2 phones and it worked just fine.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

LCD Deathpanel posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but are there any simple flashlight apps available on the Play store?
I don't care about paying a few bucks for a decent one or whatever, but most of the ones I've seen today ask for crazy permissions which seems really unnecessary and shady.

I got used to torch on my old CM7 Incredible, so it seems weird that Motorola didn't include a basic app for this on the Maxx HD.

I bought switchPro widgets a while back and setup a single icon sized widget that turns the light on and off. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=alei.switchpro&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImFsZWkuc3dpdGNocHJvIl0.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Billminder was released today for Android. Was one of my my most used apps on my iPhone. It's not completely up to par with the iOS version yet but the devs have been pretty good in the past.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.return7.billminder

Now if only 1password would release their full app!

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

Is it just me or is there no street view on the new Maps?

You have to drop a pin, click the address bar thing at the bottom and then click the picture just above report a problem. That's the only way I've been able to do it so far.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

I need an app that lets me create flashcards. It would be awesome if I could create them from my computer and sync them to my phone/tablet, but I could deal with creating them on the actual device. Being able to create multiple, distinct sets of cards would be awesome. Don't mind paying if it is a good app.

edit: I already looked on play store and there are tons of options, I just want to see if there are any goon favorites first.

I've only ever used their app on my iPad ( Android app appears identical ) but Flashcards Deluxe was my goto app for a long time. It syncs with Flashcardexchange.com and quizlet. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orangeorapple.flashcards&hl=en

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Any recommendations for Barcode managers for grocery store cards and stuff? How well do these work? I'd like to consolidate my key chain a bit.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Slywalker13 posted:

I have a number of apps purchased on my google account and my wife will soon make the switch from iOS to android. Is there a way we can both use my account for apps and google play but then where she doesn't get inundated with e-mails etc. from the rest of my google account?

Just add your account to her device and un-check everything you don't want synced.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

crimedog posted:

How do you get the Calendar app to stop putting 30 minute reminders for appointments? I have literally checked none for the default reminder time and it remembers that setting when I go back.

Even when I create a new event, there's the reminder there. I delete it, save the event, and it still gives me a 30 minute reminder? :confused:

I'm pretty sure it goes by the Google calendar settings on the website. Most apps have a default time built in but I'm not sure the standard app does.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Kid posted:

Used yours.

Mine is RZU1-5RUS-XBDJ

Used this one mine is J2T5-1JG4-Q5AG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Almost all of my classes up until this point have had computers that I could use to take notes. Now none of them do, I'm considering getting a Nexus 7/Keyboard. What app's would you guys recommend for this setup?

• Locked thread