Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On the last note about flash, this disappeared in Honeycomb once they enabled hardware acceleration in the browser. So, I would expect it to be gone in ICS as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It really doesn't matter too much. There's so much prior art out there that it would get smacked down in court. Even the Dutch said Apple's slide to unlock claims against Samsung were invalid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's about time the G+ app started using the action bar on Honeycomb. It's also much faster.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KoB posted:

For some reason my Gmail lost the ability to set a separate ringtone for emails. The option just isnt there under settings, except that it still uses my old custom ringtone isntead of the phone's default notification. Anyone know of a work around? I want to change it to a new ring. I can set a separate SMS ringtone from the default, just not Gmail.

They just moved the setting because they added per label notifications in an update.

Settings -> select your account -> Labels to notify (all the way at the bottom)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Netflix got another update today. It may be in my head, but I swear the video quality is a ton better on my Xoom now. It seems JUST shy of HD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, this news came in about the fire today.

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/11/kindle-fire-wont-run-all-android-apps-amputates-apis/

Apparently it's not API complete so some Android apps won't be able to run on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Why isn't gmail getting push mail any longer? A week or two ago I just stopped getting mail automatically. I have to manually refresh now.

I have plenty of free space on internal storage. I heard that could be a possible cause.

Clear out the cache and the data for the app. It just messes up from time to time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Netflix has been updated with a Tablet optimized layout.

http://www.androidcentral.com/netflix-launches-redesign-android-tablet-app

For once, Android gets the tablet optimized layout before iOS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Codiusprime posted:

Does that mean it works on all HC devices now? That may have happened a while ago though, not sure.

Yeah, that happened awhile ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

scarymonkey posted:

New Google Maps 6.0 was just released, adds indoor navigation for people who can't read IKEA maps:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/29/google-maps-6-0-hits-android-adds-indoor-navigation-for-retail/

Home Depot seems to be showing maps in my area as well.

In 3 years, I can see you doing a product search on google and them giving you navigation directions to exact shelf the product you want is sitting on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, they are already adding inside store views to google maps. So, that's likely is the progression we are going to see.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/242697/google_maps_provides_street_viewlook_at_store_interiors.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm pretty sure the Amazon store fires up now because it actually lets you know when applications have updates.

I haven't noticed any issue with cpu consumption on my phone. It doesn't even show up in the battery stats.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What I think is odd is how my Xoom keeps bouncing between the phone interface and the tablet interface (I prefer the phone because the tablet interface is slow as poo poo.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google just introduced Google Currents out of the blue. It seem like RSS on steroids. Basically, more advanced layout and nagivation for articles on a website rather than just displaying the contents of a feed.

There are a bunch ready to go right now. You can also add RSS feeds to the app, they just are limited to what an RSS feed usually displays.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Living Vicariously posted:

I absolutely didn't get this at first but having set it up, I love it.

Yeah, I had trouble wrapping my head around the concept, but I get it now. Magazine versions websites is what it basically boils down to, complete with offline caching and such.

I just hope it catches on a most sites end up doing it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ZShakespeare posted:

Can someone explain why Currents is only available in the US? I can understand music and voice, but I really don't know why a news reader needs to be geo-locked.

I think the clue lies in the fact that adding a source currently says "Add for Free."

After using it a bit more it has become clear to me what Currents is not, and that's a news reader. Sure, some blogs have created feeds for the Current app and you can even add RSS Feeds into it, but short form news snippets isn't quite what this is about.

For example, the very minimum automatic sync interval you can have is 6 hours and initiating a manual sync isn't very user friendly. It's slow and the manual refresh button isn't always easy to get to. We all know how fast the news headlines move today, so how is that even remotely useful then? The answer is that this isn't the right tool for that job. The purpose of this app is to allow sites to publish content like a magazine editions.

So, you wouldn't use Currents for checking up on news on Droid Life every 30 minutes during the course of the day. However, if you wanted to read that news once a day like a magazine, this would be your app. This gets even more clear if you start looking at other content like Scientific American or Popular Science.

So, it's an attempt to publish content to devices in a more coherent and long form fashion.

So, how does that relate to non-US? I'm assuming there's licensing issues involved, especially when they launch paid content (and I'm sure they probably will.) Google is probably treading lightly in order to get partners on board and one of those provisions is likely "don't publish this content outside of the US."

Sure, right now the content is what's available on the actual websites. I suspect this will not remain that way for long though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've been using Mileage to keep track of fuel economy. It also appears to have service interval reminders as well but I'm not using them.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of ad-hoc expense tracking though.

I dumped aCar due to him doing notification SPAM about upgrading to pro version when I wasn't even in the app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, that's the one.

I wouldn't say it's the prettiest thing in the world, but I'm not sure I would go so far as to say it look like rear end. White text on black background is pretty inoffensive to me even if it is a bit sparse. It would be cool if it was rewritten for ICS, but I honestly only look at it for 2 minutes every other week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Not letting this go unnoticed. I've tried many note taking apps, but One Note is the best thing ever. I have been dying for an android app for it.

It seems pretty well done as well.

FYI, the free version is limited to 500 notes on skydrive. To unlock unlimited is $5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Now Microsoft really needs to just bite the bullet and release a Zune app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cardiovorax posted:

Is it that much better than Evernote or Catch? I don't really use the note taking apps I have all that much, but I guess I might shell out 5$ if OneNote is really that much better. It does integrate well with other Microsoft stuff at least, I guess.

Well, if you don't use the note taking apps all that much as it is, I'm guessing you aren't going to hit the 500 note limit in that notebook. So, there would be no reason to pay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't know what it is with Google and screwing with notifications when they upgrade android. First it was the vibration settings in 2.2 and now its notification volume in 4.0.

My "solution" to this issue is that I have a cordless phone with a Bluetooth bridge that rings whenever my phone does. It doesn't matter if I mute the phone completely, it will still ring through.

You could also use something like tasker to increase volume to 100% on incoming call.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anyone else find Beautiful Widgets lagging out the home screen on unlock now after the update? I had a small weather and small date widget on my main home screen for a while now with no issues. I updated BW last night and now it stutters as it unlocks if the widgets are present.

This is on a Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.4.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

fudsak posted:

Pulse doesn't import your google reader feed. I don't feel like rebuilding it all. Unless I'm missing something?

Go to the Social category when you add sources. Reader should be the top of the list.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HBO GO (and MAX Go) have FINALLY been updated for ICS.

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/04/hbo-go-and-max-go-updated-to-support-ice-cream-sandwich/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

If they really are using the IMEI/MEID, then the ROM shouldn't matter, right?

They obviously aren't as I have a new device listed for every time I did a factory wipe, even without changing anything about my device's operating system.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

It won't. Once the trial is up, it will nag like loving crazy. It's the most annoying piece of shitware, and a prime example of why rooting is a good thing.

Not true. You can easily disable it without root. I turned off CityID on day one without any problems at all. The bionic actually lets you uninstall it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Most of the "bloatware" installed on Moto/Verizon devices can be uninstalled now and once ICS comes out you'll be able to freeze and hide those that can't.

I think on my bionic, I could uninstall CityID, NFL Mobile, and Lets Golf directly from the apps menu and they would be gone for good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I had to disable latitude on my Galaxy Nexus as it was causing about 20 minutes of GPS polling (and keep awake time) per day. Did very bad things to the battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google Maps is going to be getting full offline support.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/06/google-maps-for-android-gets-offline-support/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I keep location services turned on as well and I have wifi on all the time.

It wasn't an issue for me on my OG Droid, Bionic, or Razr. But it has been an issue for me on the Galaxy Nexus in 4.0.2, 4.0.4 (IMM30B), and 4.0.4(IMM76K).

Jensen posted:

I'm reading conflicting reports of whether or not this works for navigation. I think it's actually just the offline caching that we've already had in labs for a while now.

I think it depends on whether or not navigation routing is calculated on device or if it's calculated server side and just sent to the device.

Since we've had offline caching in labs for awhile, I would assume the official feature would be a bit more friendly than the way it is implemented there.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 6, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google can't be arsed to make tablet versions of their own apps for their own platforms (Google+ I'm looking at you.)

No easily accessible built in back up and restore function to make switching phones painless.

No built in way to remote wipe your phone from your Google account.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 13, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

deong posted:

The backup, I thought it was more an issue with developers than google? It could be much better, but doesn't google give an easy api for the devs to integrate cloud storage for saves etc?

That's a subset. The cloud storage of settings/savegames IS something that developers need to utilize and would be great for keeping stuff in sync across multiple devices and downloading on to a new phone. It's not, however, everything.

Factory wipe a phone or get a new phone and it starts re-downloading all apps from the market (usually poorly) and while it may pull some settings from your account, many are left out.

It struck me as odd that it will restore my wallpaper, but not bother with setting up my home screens again. I understand the technical reason (the apps may not be installed yet) but it's something that can be worked around.

You should be able to back up EVERYTHING (apps, their data, all system settings) to a blob on external storage and then there should be a step on activation that allows you to import all of that to the phone. You can do this now with titanium backup and root and you can do a limited version of this with ADB commands, but it needs to be universal and easy to do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, the regular old Nook app works on sideloaded books as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

grack posted:

A lot of apps are moving to push ads that show up in the notification bar. Install an app that blocks Airpush.

No, uninstall the app and leave a negative comment. This kind of poo poo shouldn't be tolerated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

Speaking of Flipboard...what's the point? I've heard talk about it for at least a year, and so when it came out for Android, I gave it a spin.

I don't get it. It seems like a less-useful RSS reader. What is the use case for it?

I'm with you there. It just doesn't seem like there's a way to easily see what you've read and what you haven't read.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

As an aside, I love Picasa and use it to manage my photos, but it's another example of one of those Google things that just seems to have stagnated. Granted, they did that update to add G+ compatibility, but it just seems like they haven't done anything serious with it in years.

I'm more annoyed that it seems exempt from the 5gb of storage they've given for drive, but at the same time I can't elect to upgrade storage for Picasa separately from Drive.

The old storage upgrade options for Picasa were a lot cheaper than the 25gb for $25/year option they have now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Animal posted:

You beat me by seconds!

I hope the iPad version of Maps gets this functionality too.

Seeing how apple is dropping google maps for their map provider on iOS6, I'm thinking not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kazy posted:

So uhh.. How do you actually view a post in the tablet version?

All it does is take me to the picture.

Swipe up on the username/comment area near the bottom center of the pic.

That's about the only gripe I have about the UI, I feel it should expand by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Good:

HBO Go now has tablet support

The Bad:

It doesn't appear to work on the Xoom LTE. Reports are that it works fine on the Wifi version, but the LTE version gives "Unknown Error" when you launch it.

• Locked thread