Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I have a question about battery temps. I just downloaded a new app to help my sleep schedule. It's called "Sleep for Android" and it works loving awesome. However, it is constantly running all night to log your sleep cycles which requires it to be plugged in and left on your mattress beside you or under your pillow.

Anyway, I tried it for the first time last night and in the morning when it woke me up, The phone was pretty warm. I quickly checked the battery temp and it was at 46 degrees Celsius. Should I be worried or is it fine for an app to run all night while simultaneously the phone being charged? The same thing happens when using GPS in the car while it is plugged in, however the GPS is usually only on for an hour while this sleep app is on all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Shanakin posted:

Technically in most cases a battery's lifespan is reduced by heat. In practice, so long as it's not getting dangerously hot, it's probably not going to ruin the phone, but if it's used every night for a year or two then you might experience noticeably shorter battery life, but to what extent is hard to tell and could be quite significant to imperceptible depending on a variety of factors.

I'm not too worried about battery lifespan as I can pick up new OEM batteries on eBay for $10. I'm more concerned about the damage on my phone or sensors. The battery has a reading on it not to subject it to temps higher than 60 degrees Celsius. It was only 46 when I woke up, which was warm to the touch but I was just wondering if that is high enough to warrant any damage to the phone.

It's also possible that it was warm because it was under my pillow and in a case. I'm going to try it again tongiht but out of the case and just lying beside the pillow. If it continues to get warm, I may stop doing this.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know of a dedicated alarm clock that does this type of stuff (wakes you up in a light sleep).

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 1, 2011

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I used to use it and would keep it underneath my pillow. The insulated warm pillow environment caused it to heat up, when I would leave it ontop of the sheets or the bed it was fine, so consider figuring out a way to set it next to you or some place it still is exposed to the air.

This sort of caused me to stop using the app since I could not reliably keep it on my bed without it falling off...I should probably uninstall it actually, thanks for the reminder.

This is exactly why I keep it under my pillow too. I like to spread the gently caress out on my bed so I'm sure to knock it off.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

Gentle Alarm.

Just looked this up, I'll definitely give it a try. I don't know how I feel about the motion sensing yet. I've only used it one night and maybe it was a coincidence but I did wake up better this morning.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Recommend me an app that will track my bandwidth usage on a per-app basis. Somehow I've burned 65% of my monthly data today, and haven't even been texting. Received three emails and that's about it.

Not looking for a widget-only app like Radioopt's "Traffic Monitor", just something I can open when I want to know what's what.

Most apps like this require to be running (monitoring/logging your bandwidth) at all times and consume battery. It's been a while since I've used it but I remember "3G Watch dog" doing something like this and being popular. What I'm not positive on is whether it monitors per app use.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

I used to use this, yeah; it was nice but only monitors overall in/out, not per app. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you're rooted then spare parts will show per app usage.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

That's per-app battery usage, I need it to track data.

You're right my bad.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Why does the FaceBook app randomly decide to hold a wake lock and drain my battery? I didn't open FaceBook all weekend on my phone yet it still did this:

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 7, 2011

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Am I the only one that absolutely loves the Swype keyboard? Am I missing something wrong with it or is everyone just recommending a non Swype alternative?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

VibrioCholera posted:

I love it and used it for nearly a year but I've given it up in recent days for the stock Gingerbread one. I spent too much time fighting with it and found more often than not it just loved guessing the wrong word. It was usually easily pressed on the word list but I type a lot of words that aren't in the library and don't like how it constantly auto corrects them and I had to use magical backspacing pressing methods to get words to stick. Doing any kind of search or web site URL was atrocious.

Stock android in landscape mode is nearly as fast and I think my friends appreciate not having to read typos that aren't even close to the real word due to auto correct. :) My mom loves SwiftKey X but she doesn't type fast enough to actually need multitouch out of her keyboard.

You may have been using an old version. The latest beta of Swype has the easiest way of adding new words or typing new words manually without adding to the dictionary. For example:

If you manually type in a word that it doesn't know, you just have to hit the word in the suggested choices. After clicking the word, if you want to add it to the dictionary for swyping, you just have to click the add to dictionary link as seen below:

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I sometimes watch online courses (lynda.com) on my Android 3.2 tablet. I can't seem to find anyway to fullscreen the flash video. Is there an app/alternative browser that will allow me to do this?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you long press on the applet, does a bar appear across the top with a rectangle on the left? If you press that it should go fullscreen. On some of them you can also double-tap the applet.

Boom, thanks.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you long press on the applet, does a bar appear across the top with a rectangle on the left? If you press that it should go fullscreen. On some of them you can also double-tap the applet.

Do you know of a way to have it stretch to fill the screen? When I click that maximize button, it basically keeps the flash video in the center with a huge black border on all sides. It could be the original resolution of the video, but is there a way to fill the screen with it?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Wagonburner posted:

That and sometimes (33% maybe) the long-press to get the top bar (to go full screen) doesn't work, I've never had double-tapping work. You have to zoom way in to click whatever fullscreen button the content provider put there.

I'm finding this too. I think I've found a workaround though. For me, if I pause the video then I can get it to pop up every time.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

loving Canada, is all I have to say about the Amazon apps.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

What's a good app for recording while driving?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Star Warrior X posted:

Whoops! I'm talking about this one.

Just installed, I'll test it on my way home tonight, thanks.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

For those of you that are sysadmins, what are some valuable apps you use everyday to administer your network or even remote into to users computers?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I keep getting a notification on my phone that storage space is getting low. It's not though... Why is this popping up (won't go away)?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How big is your Contacts app?

Contacts - 524KB
Contacts Storage - 1.16MB

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

az jan jananam posted:

What phone do you have? Older phones have a limited app data partition and so it fills up quickly after you install a lot of apps. The HTC Incredible has an ext4 mod that increases the partition size and its easy to flash, I don't know about what phone you're using.

Galaxy S Captivate

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If I had to venture a guess the Captivate probably has a dedicated partition for apps that doesn't really get reported correctly to Android. Try shoving all those big apps to the external SD and see if that helps.

I started moving some apps to SD and the notification went away.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

king of the bongo posted:

Did you clear the cache and clear the data for the Market app? It solved it for me without reseting the device.

I ended up flashing CM9 on my phone which fixed my issue.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Is there any way to just install all "not-installed" apps? All day I've been re-installing like 200 some apps fresh instead of doing a backup/restore as I was having issues. The issues have been solved but I'm loving tired of re-installing each app individually. Is there a way to just bulk install the rest of the 68 "not-installed" apps?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Wagonburner posted:

Related to this: Used to be if I flashed a rom, as soon as I signed in to market it would start automatically installing all my free apps. (I didn't have any paid ones at the time)

Nowadays it doesn't. "My apps" just shows my paid apps as "purchased" but no free ones listed there, no auto-install of anything.

Was this green-market functionality someone decided that no one needs anymore? I have the google backup thing checked on my main rom and I check it also on anything I flash.

I remember that. When you flashed a new ROM, you could choose to allow Google to restore your apps. Not anymore it seems.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I can imagine Google got tired of wasting bandwidth on people who switch roms weekly and then reinstall all their apps.

Honestly though I think it makes more sense to use something like Titanium Backup. Saves both the app data and bandwidth and reinstalls your apps pretty quickly. Dropbox syncing is pretty boss too. Worked like a charm when AOKP build 22 required a full wipe due to Gapps shenanigans.

I didn't use Titanium but I used nandroid backup. However, my first attempt to restore it messed up the ROM install. Therefore I opted for the manual route. I still have like 34 more apps to install. I just keep doing it whenever I'm bored.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

That's because NANDROID is a complete backup and you should only use it before things like switching ROMs or upgrading your ROM version as a backup in case something fucks up. There's no reason not to use Titanium Backup, mine's setup to automatically backup all my user apps+data at 4am while I'm asleep so I always have a current version of my poo poo.

Makes sense, I guess I should have used Titanium.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

Restoring an entire /data/ partition from a NANDROID would be like not wiping before moving to a new ROM, you'll get all that old app data from system apps that's very likely to gently caress something up.

That's exactly what I did. I restored only /data. Good to know.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Bhm posted:

Can anyone recommend a contact widget that is 4x4 in size and not butt ugly?

Android Pro Widgets > ICS Theme > Transparency 0% (100% being opaque)

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

BoyBlunder posted:

Can't you sideload the APK?

You can sideload the Pandora app. You can also proxy/vpn to a US IP, download the app then disconnect the proxy/vpn and you can continue to use Pandora.

I have no clue if this also works with Google Music but it's worth a try.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Tunga posted:

The next step on my quest to create an idiot proof Android, is there a launcher which I can set up and then "lock" it so that it is not editable? The menu key doing stuff is fine, but I need to disable long press menu and icon/widget dragging. My mum is spectacularly good at deleting the lovely widgets I set up for her because she isn't used to a touch screen being so reponsive.

ADW in CM7 had this feature. Not sure if it was ADW or if it was CM7 though.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

sharktamer posted:

From what I've heard, they have somehow and for some reason removed support on custom roms. Bizarre decision really if it is true.

Still works on CM9 on my Samsung Galaxy S

Edit: gently caress. so I wasn't on the latest version of Chrome and now it does in fact not work.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 25, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

rotaryfun posted:

Just did the ICS update and google+ keeps saying that it is stopped responding.

Anyone else getting that?

Clear data/cache and it works.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

For those of you that use Pocket Cloud to RDP into computers, why is the whole screen dragable like this and is there a way to stop it?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Wagonburner posted:

I love my pocketcloud free I just hate editing the session each time I want to connect to something new. Anyone know something just as good and not crippled? Nothing that needs something server-side installed

I had to purchase the pro version for NLA.

$15 was steep for personal use :(

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Jigoku San posted:

Its there a good app that will set random wallpaper from a directory every N minutes or on unlock? Better if its intelligent enough to center, crop or resize based on the image size.

Are you not on Windows 7? It doesn't crop/center automatically but it does rotate images from a directory.

edit: gently caress me, wrong thread. Ignore me.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Anyone else find Beautiful Widgets lagging out the home screen on unlock now after the update? I had a small weather and small date widget on my main home screen for a while now with no issues. I updated BW last night and now it stutters as it unlocks if the widgets are present.

This is on a Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.4.

Yes, same problem Galaxy S, CM9.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

MycroftXXX posted:

Has anyone here used the Mint personal finance app?

I do, it's great if you're lovely at budgeting because it is almost automatic after it's set-up.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I checked the last 5 pages of this thread and didn't see anything. Is anyone having problems logging into the Awful app? Mine is saying "Login Failed!".

I tried logging out on a PC and logging in and my credentials work. I tried copy/pasting both my user and pass from keepassdroid and it still fails. Is something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Penguissimo posted:

Something changed on the SA side, and Geekner already pushed an update to fix it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3391052&pagenumber=150#post403433461

Ah there's an Awful thread, thanks a lot.

• Locked thread