Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's a good replacement app for the vanilla camera? I want to so some nature photography with my Galaxy S2, but kind of struggle with the bundled camera app. Switching between focus modes and turning the flash on and off just takes too long, most bugs are long gone by the time I manage to turn macro mode back on. Is there a good alternative, maybe something that lets me use the volume buttons as triggers? I don't need any fancy post-processing bullshit, just something that's good at taking pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Shanakin posted:

Are you are that you can swap around the buttons on the side on the SGS2? When you have all the options up, just drag it onto the button slot you want.

As for using hardware buttons. I haven't tried it but I believe there was a hacked version available on XDA that had an option to use the power button I think? I'm moderately sure no third party app can do this however.
No, I wasn't aware, I've only had the phone for a few days. Thank you, this actually helps quite a bit!

I would've thought it shouldn't be too difficult to reassign the volume keys, though. They're bound to Zoom right now, so I didn't think there'd be any real hardware limitation or anything. Well, if anybody else know something that does that, I'd be glad to hear it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I fail to see the benefit of getting anything from the Amazon Appstore if it's available in the Market at the same price. The only apps I've gotten from Amazon are their freebies of the day, otherwise I don't see the point.
I can't even manage that much. It keeps askin for my 1-click credentials, no matter how often I enter them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Trypsin posted:

I'm a big fan of Vignette- it can use the volume buttons as triggers on my Galaxy S2.
Thanks, I just tried that. Being able to use the volume buttons as triggers is pretty nice, but otherwise it is fairly unwieldy. Is there a way to stop it from showing that preview screen for every single picture you take, and maybe force it to always display the options panels? It looks like you should be able to put extra option buttons on the top panel, but I can't figure out how.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It was a big problem on the old markets. Try the new version that's been rolling out the past few days. A quick Google search should get you the apk.

As for the 15 apps you have, the only solution I found was reinstalling them. :(
Well crap. I just noticed that I have the same problem. Now I need to reinstall like 20 apps. :(

Oh well, at least updating works again. I had absolutely no idea why it refused to show them, so thanks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

Beautiful Widgets.
Beautiful Widgets is kind of buggy for me, for some reason. It keeps showing leftover old weather in the main display despite the actual weather for the day being displayed as something completely different in the bottom left. I haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

Also, neither AccuWeather nor Google Weather seem to be very accurate if you live outside the US. You might want to think about trying something a bit more local, even if it won't look as nice. I use weather24.com.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Amazon has an App Store because having an app store was really trendy when they got theirs, but now like a designer puppy any long-term investment made by idiots following the latest "hip thing", it languishes in despair while its owner goes out and chases something new and interesting.
The stupidest thing is that they still haven't managed to rig up support for Europe. I would've bought so much crap there already, but I guess they don't want my money.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BathroomTile posted:

Have you tried out Swiftkey?

Trying that right now, it's pretty neat. I'm not sure how much I trust it, though. An app that collects everything you type AND regularly phones home is kind of too suspicious to use long-term.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BUY ME A CAT posted:

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but it does raise some serious concerns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcrmUTJZWw
What concerns? I mean, what did you expect would happen if you put a lithium ion battery in a microwave? They're not really meant for that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BathroomTile posted:

It's to improve the predictions on your keyboard. You can opt out from it collecting anything, but that would defeat its purpose. I have it look through my SMS history, but I don't have it collect my email, FB, and whatever else for typing predictions.
Yeah, after checking on their homepage for what the thing actually does, it seems that your personalized stuff isn't actually sent onto their servers. Made me buy it on the spot, the stock Samsung keyboard was driving me crazy and Swype isn't much better.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 12, 2011

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PowerAMP is pretty drat good, and it can navigate through the directory tree just fine. The Folders interface can be set up to navigate pretty much exactly like Windows Explorer, just set it to sort by hierarchy and file name. It comes with an unrestricted 2-week trial period, just give it a try.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

codo27 posted:

I did, and I liked it, the worst thing is that since the trial is up, you dont seem to be able to use shuffle, which is practically the only way I listen. I dont need anything fancy, I mainly just liked the album art download thing. I play my music over my FM transmitter/bluetooth hands free box so its hard to notice any difference in playback quality if there is any, thats what I was looking for when I tried it out.
You mean since your trial period is over, or since a trial version even exists? If it's the former I guess you'll just have to buy it, but I am still in the trial period and can use shuffle just fine. The bigger widgets even come with a button for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What does a lowjack device usually cost, anyway? Android tablets don't exactly come cheap. They're nothing I would leave in my car overnight on the off chance that they could maybe help me get my car back after it gets stolen, at any rate.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What's a good app to record calls on a SGS2? Ideally it'd integrate into the call menu and work on a manual basis, so I can turn it on when I need to record something I can't be arsed to write down.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tornhelm posted:

You'll probably need to switch to a custom rom. I'm 99% sure that LeoMar's rom has an option to install the call recording mod (I know it used to at least) and it puts a nice big red button on your call menu that you hit when you need to record one.
Sucks. I'm not really willing to do that, I have no idea how rooting my phone would interact with my warranty. Is there no alternative at all?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe I'm just using it wrong, but I just tried that Juicedefender thing overnight and I'm getting no improvement out of it at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Penguissimo posted:

Can you answer something for me? I mean this as a totally honest question, because you're not the first person to rave about Circle Launcher, and I really don't understand it. What advantages does it hold over just using the stock folder function on your homescreen?
I liked it because it makes the application icons appear right around your fingertip, instead of at the top of the screen. It's ever so slightly quicker than using a folder. It also looks fairly nice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I played around some more with that JuiceDefender and drat, is that thing ever worth it. I fully charged my stock SGS2 last night, turned on the JuiceDefender, switched off WiFi and didn't touch it again until this morning. Twelve hours later and it has barely lost 5% charge. I could leave the thing running for well over a week now, wow.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How long does it take for your data to come back on after you turn on the screen? On my phone (Droid X) it took several seconds. It was incredibly annoying to have to wait to use my phone each time, so I uninstalled JuiceDefender.
About one or two seconds, maybe? I didn't stop the time, but it's really quick. Faster than I can actually open any app that requires Data, anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

For now I've decided to for-go sub-tasks/project folders and just go with Any.Do (--edit: If you're using Taskos, same developers), in the hopes it gets some place better.
Does Any.DO accept keyboard suggestions for you? I use Swiftkey X and having to manually type out every single word is kind of annoying, considering that not having to do that is basically what I bought the app for.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

I just totally didn't notice how god drat S L O W go launcher had become.
Where's is slow in specific? I've been using Go Launcher over stock for a while now, and I haven't really noticed any drop in performance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This sale is great. Ten apps for less money than the price of a single bus ticket? Sold! I already went ahead bought most of it. I'm kind of pissed now that I bought SwiftkeyX at full price a while ago, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it has the superior key layout compared to other keyboards, and its word suggestions are really good. After a while it can string together whole sentences for you. It also optionally learns from your sent SMS and Email and such. For ten cents, it's a great buy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What's a good non-Gmail mail client for Android? I need something that can deal with unconventional server setups, because my university's mailer system is kind of weird. Non-standard login names and such should be a possibility.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

LastInLine posted:

K-9 is probably the best, then probably Touchdown, but couldn't you just configure GMail to get the university email so you could get it that way?
I tried, but the stock mail software doesn't really allow for separate login names and email adresses. Thanks a lot for the recommendation, though. K-9 did the trick.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thornes posted:

You can give any.do a shot. It's a checklist app that can sync to google tasks
Any.Do doesn't work with your keyboard's word suggestions, it uses its own. This made me stop using the app, personally. I suppose the suggestions aren't bad, but they're all English. Also, that's kind of what I bought Swiftkey for.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Essobie posted:

Seconding this. It also will let you take a picture with the volume rocker buttons, and a bunch of swipe shortcuts.
It actually lets you customize what functions the volume rocker should have, as well as a bunch of other buttons, if your device has them. It's pretty awesome. Better than Vignette, in my opinion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Which browser is currently the best, anyway? I vaguely remember hearing that Dolphin had some big security issues a while ago, so I'm a bit leery of actually trying out anything new.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cakefool posted:

What email app are people using? Stock is lacking, Gmail is pathetic.
I use K-9 since it was recommended to me in this thread. I like it a lot, you can actually configure stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I know there's a lot of people out there looking for battery saving apps
I can recommend Juice Defender without reservation for that sort of thing. My battery lifetime has literally doubled since I started using it. It can be set up to do all kinds of stuff, from just switching data back on when you turn on the screen to automatically deciding whether WiFi is worth bothering with based on location data. It can also be configured on an app-by-app basis so it'll never switch stuff off while you're updating stuff from the market, for example. It's really pretty great.

\/\/\/ Yeah, I'm pretty sure it can do that. I haven't played around with that feature a lot, but it exists.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 6, 2012

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dumbmrblah posted:

SGS2 here and running juice defender, I've had no such problems with battery raping.
Same here. Stock SGS2 with Vodafone branding. No battery raping occurs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Is there a way to find out when Android apps go on sale, and which ones? Besides this thread I mean.
AppBrain has an "on sale" filter. The market per se doesn't support something like that, sadly.

\/\/\/ Yeah, it kind of sucks. It's the best you can currently get on Android, though, until somebody finally ports AppZapper.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 8, 2012

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maytag posted:

Could someone please recommend a good file manager, preferably one that allows folders to be hidden? Yes I would like to hide my pictures of topless ladies (wife included).
ES File Explorer. Put a dot (.) in front of the file or folder name and it will be hidden, just like in a Linux environment.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

vkeios posted:

This is pretty much the worst advice. Especially if done on removable media like an SD card.
How so? It's the best option he has. VFAT has no issues with periods in folder or file names, so it won't break your card. There's no way to "hide" stuff on a file system independently of the used file explorer or OS either, so if you really don't want people looking at your porn don't leave your SD card laying around or go and encrypt the poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maytag posted:

Edit: Basically I want my phone to be open and accessible but have an area that can only be accessed with a password or pattern.
Apparently he actually wants something like this. AnDisk sounds like it could do the job.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maytag posted:

There's a default app called Gallery that just shows everything on my phone, pics and music and video all together, with thumbnails. Not good.
If that's all you care about, try switching to QuickPic. It comes with an option to prune certain paths from being displayed by default and can actually lock hidden folders with a password. No idea how that influences other file explorers, but it works while within the app.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Are there device restrictions on this? I can neither find this on the market nor use the version downloaded from XDA on my SGS2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jobarr posted:

I assume you have enabled "Unknown Sources"? That should be all you need to install the download version from XDA.
I do. I tried downloading the APK again with a different browser and for some reason it works now, despite me not changing anything. Maybe it was a bug with Firefox instead? I have no idea.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kies Air? Well, that might not be what you mean, but it does exactly that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Midjack posted:

Expect to see this a lot more in the future; it's an anti-pervert measure. Plugging in a headset almost always works to silence it, there's a nice 0-day for you. Software-wise, you're probably going to have to root.
What a bunch of nonsense. I own a regular digicam and those things are completely silent. Good job on doing nothing useful what so ever, HTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It's every phone manufacturer.
Well, certainly not my SGS2, latest update too. If I set my phone to silent mode, both photo and video camera are completely silent. Thank God for that; I use it a lot to photograph the blackboard during Uni lectures.

• Locked thread