Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Am I retarded, is there no Android game thread?

Chu Chu Rocket :shobon:

Just $1, nice high-def graphics and 3D bits. It does freeze on me if my screen turns off mid-game. It's brand new though. SG2LTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ah well thanks. I checked the forum but the Android tag doesn't show up in the filters and I left it at that. :doh:

edit: I just neglected to bookmark it from the Android FAQ. Bah. I'd definitely seen it before. Mornings.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 24, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

nickhimself posted:

First example of why this would be useful: Ex-girlfriend related posts so your current girlfriend doesn't get all snoop-happy and decide to go through your previous wall posts to see what you used to write about your ex and why you don't write those things about her.

Stuff like that would be nice to delete without having to manually do it one at a time.
I realise you're just giving an example, but to address it at face-value, if this is a problem with a current boyfriend or girlfriend, it's good to get all the crazy out before you make a long-term commitment.

Aside, I've noticed lots of my friends leave all the smoochy pictures with their exes up.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is that new? Seemed like I only really had BeyondPod and Doggcatcher to choose from, both around $5, when I was looking last year. (There were others, but they were terrible.) I chose Doggcatcher mostly because I preferred its aesthetics.

Also had to buy Presto separately for faster listening.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

DoggCatcher and BeyondPod have free trials so I recommend checking them out at least. I definitely appreciate DoggCatcher's widget and lock-screen controls. It does seem to take longer to update feeds than it should.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Man, Aldiko is pretty awesome. It's the first tablet app or e-reader I've come across that actually nicely typesets ligatures and the like. (i.e. look at how it displays a double-f, like in "difficult", or an "fi" as in "figure").

I've never used the Kindle app, but the Kobo one definitely doesn't. My Sony Reader didn't either.

It's a small thing, but a nice attention to detail.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not available for me on Rogers in Canada. Might finally be an excuse to root though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Trillian uses push and very little battery if you're looking for multiclient.
I love having Trillian running on my home computer, my work computer, my cell phone and my tablet, all synced together. It even clears away new message notifications from the gadgets when messages are read elsewhere. That's such a peeve of mine with Facebook.

And yeah, seems absolutely negligible insofar as battery life is concerned. I always have it running 24/7.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is awful? :confused:

edit: oh gently caress, failed with the image size. Forgot my screen's resolution. Anyway, it looks nice to me when it's small and dense on a phone screen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I LOVE GoodNews, and want to switch for it for podcasts, but it doesn't support variable-speed (Presto library) playback like the major podcast players.

Vote for this feature if you'd also like it: http://goodnews.uservoice.com/forums/149658-general/suggestions/2757342-support-variable-speed-playback-for-podcasts

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Did you try searching for "keepass" in Play? ;)

I use it in combination with DropBox and it's excellent.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Goodnews is just about the best thing out there and does RSS + Podcasts. Doggcatcher is what I used to use for podcasts but it is really loving clunky and has questionable UI design. The features are sick though.
I would switch to Goodnews full-time except that it doesn't do variable speed playback (with Presto) yet, so I still use Doggcatcher for podcasts.

But I agree, Doggcatcher is a little questionable overall. I picked it over Beyondpod at the time because it was prettier haha.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Android 4.2 (Nexus 7) now has a second swipe-down menu which lets me get rid of my power-feature widgets ... but it's missing the GPS one :doh: It's not too far in the settings at least.

I used to use a 5-in-1 plus separate battery metre (the battery widget gave me easy access to see what was killing my battery). The GPS one sticks out because apparently trying to get lock for some reason overnight managed to wakelock my tablet and destroy the battery.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tunga posted:

Google's belief is that you should never ever need a file manager on your phone and to be honest that's perfectly true for the typical user. Where would these files be coming from? The internet? Send the link instead. But the option to install one is there if you need it. I think it's a perfectly good model.
Also the send-to/share functionality is fantastic and leagues beyond iOS. Or at least it was... don't know if Apple's done anything to make cross-app access less of a pain in the rear end recently.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So I've gotten tired of Flow being retarded with double letters and punctuation and wanted to switch back to Swype. My beta trial had expired and the updater is broken, and the original stock version apparently got removed by the official 4.1 update to my phone (S2 LTE/Skyrocket). When I try to download a new APK from beta.swype.com though my phone refuses to acknowledge it as installable. The old Swype APKs on my phone still work, so I don't think anything has changed locally.

Any ideas? Googling didn't seem to bring up anything wrong.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LastInLine posted:

So when you try to download from the page the page says the phone isn't compatible or the APK downloads but won't install on your device?
APK downloads but won't install. Nova wants to open it as a backup, or an emulator wants to open it as a rom. Other APKs are fine.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well that worked. Very strange. Thank you!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's cool.

My new nuisance is that the updated My Tracks app is supposed to automatically sync the data to Drive (if you enable the option), but it doesn't. I have to force it by sharing the track with another of my email addresses.

I need it to geotag my photos. I used to use Instamapper but that service closed down in December without a word.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

XIII posted:

App question:
Is My Tracks the best app for logging my bike rides?
I'd recommend you try a community-based one like Strava for encouragement and comparison. Endomondo is popular too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Geno posted:

For Swype on my S3, when I would type several words and put my cursor back on one of the words, Swype would show several words that are similar for typos, bad swipes, etc. Now, that row is blank and I have to press the Swype button on the bottom left for the words to show up. Anybody else have this problem?
Are you using the latest version, from the Play store? It kind of sounds like what happened when the beta finally expired, though that should have been months ago.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Why is Pocket Casts a recommended podcast app? What do people have against Doggcatcher?

Put Pocket Casts on my wife's phone because of all the rave reviews I've seen. Immediately the lovely episode clean-up leapt out at me as a poorly-implemented feature. Not really the app's fault, but I was disappointed I couldn't set up audiobook MP3s as a feed.

Got my refund, put Doggcatcher on. Love the "virtual feed" feature that lets you set up any directory of media files as a fake-podcast. Handy for audiobooks downloaded from Humble Bundle or whatever.

The app itself just seems to be better designed, like ... hey, I can have it auto-delete played episodes. The only criticism of it I can offer is that it might have too many features for someone totally new to podcasts.

edit: one really stupid thing I should email the developer about, Doggcatcher isn't set to only download by wi-fi by default. Burned me badly when I got a new phone last year.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 28, 2015

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ah thanks.

I perhaps should have spent more time with it, but honestly that work-around is not particularly intuitive.

Also the auto-delete, in the app, is labelled as "most recent" episodes, not "listened to".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah loving with the Android file system is a logical way for the average user to make a feature work. :waycool:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I apparently somehow missed the checkbox. When I was poking through the options, I only saw something about auto-deleting more than x number of recent episodes.

I'm most likely wrong. Somehow I just missed this poo poo, panicked (over $4), and went with what I knew.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say: media players typically won't let you bookmark your place in a plain audio format, in a way that you can return to it days later as opposed to just being paused and restarted the same day.
Precisely.

If you want to get fancy you can set up your auto-play order too so that podcasts always come first and the audiobook is there at the end when you run out of current content. Handy when doing stuff like driving or biking, when you don't want to be loving around with your phone.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Canada has privacy laws affecting Google services. For example, we couldn't get Street View until they blurred out faces and license plates.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ugh, I hate to ask for a music player recommendation, but could you please assist? All I want to do is set up an agent on my PC which will monitor a few folders that I tell it, and then I want to be able to access those folders from the Android device. I am having a lot of trouble doing this because programs are doing too much or doing it wrong.

I do want: it to use folder.jpg for the album art. it to simply stream music from PC to phone. it to monitor the folder for changes, or probably more accurate, to be browsing the folder when I'm browsing (ie, don't cache anything)
I don't want: it to scrape anything from the internet. to require a 4.95 purchase to stream my own music from 30 feet away plex. to cache information (Google Music becomes nearly unusable when you take a 45,000 song library and then click "downloaded only").

I really just want a simple way to browse my mp3 library from any device on Wifi, is there anything that is going to make me happy?

I realize I am asking for fractionally more than "just map over from any file browser and play the song you want", but I'd like an updating library, album art, genres from the id3 tags. I just don't want any scraping or caching, just let me configure everything exactly how I want it on the PC, then play it on the phone or tablet as well.

Maybe give http://subsonic.org a look? I use the caching feature (for subway listening) but it can definitely be disabled. It doesn't scrape, and it definitely uses folder.jpg for album art (that's how my collection is sorted).

By default it will transcode files to be more suitable for mobile data streaming, but that can also be disabled.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I know this is petty but I'm just shocked I can't do this for free. I run foobar, winamp and XBMC for various needs, and they all do exactly what I want, for not a penny. Even if it's a dollar, I'm just surprised I'm going to have to buy an app to find out it may not even be what I want.
Yeah... In addition, the new "premium" pricing pisses me off, but the free version probably does what you want. (I have some old grandfathered version where I don't pay a monthly fee. The whole point was I didn't want to pay an additional fee just for "mobile streaming" like Rdio/Spotify make you.)

Still, you can install the server for free, pay your $1, and quickly see if it works for you. Grab the refund if not.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Casyl posted:

There's a very good chance it'll go on sale during the Steam sale sometime in the next week or so for $15. That said, it's a system that has you manually enter everything (which is part of its philosophy), whereas apps like Mint and Level Money automatically look at your CC/bank statements to see your spending.
On PC you can launch the Steam version of YNAB without Steam running. It's just a programme download.

The Mac version IS tied to Steam however.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

lostleaf posted:

Was this posted yet?

http://lifehacker.com/lastpass-hacked-time-to-change-your-master-password-1711463571

I suggest everyone change to keepass plus drive/Dropbox/box
I used KeePass for years, but eventually gave up because of the really lovely OS X support.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Some people just don't want to use cloud storage services :shobon:

I guess if nothing else, might be handy if whatever service you use is full or down.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got an app called Light Flow recently to solve a major nuisance with my S5.

When my S5 got updated to KitKat, it completely hosed up the notification system I was used to. I finally found a compromise I could live with using the priority-only mode, but that disables the notification light. Short of my wife calling me, the only notifications I ever want are by light -- no sound, no buzzing. (Oh and my alarm. Without priority-only set, turning off the ringer even disables the loving alarm.)

Light Flow not only overrides the bad firmware behaviour, but is extremely customisable: you can set up notifications for both apps and contacts, and set specific colours, speeds of flashing, etc. Hell, doesn't even have to be lights ... you can set ringtones and vibrations from it too.

I paid $2.50 for the premium version. There's a free one too, I'm not sure what it cuts out.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hm, it's been working for me for a few days. Initially though I hosed around with all the settings, to do with whether it's active, background, takes up a notification slot, etc. I don't think it worked for me as a background app, but seems fine 'active'.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Current Android Hangouts is the only app I can count on to actually be available instantly.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

For what it's worth, Light Flow updated recently to explicitly add support for Android 5.1 in priority mode, and now it works for me as a background app on my S5.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Doggcatcher works for me.

Playlists work great for me, but the auto-playlist is a bit strange if you're combining virtual feeds. Keep meaning to email the dev to fix it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Noticed the same thing on my S5. Wasn't sure if I was imagining things.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

hooah posted:

I recently moved my computer downstairs. Being a Windows machine, it doesn't hibernate reliably, so I'd like to be able to tell it to do that remotely. I tried out Microsoft's remote desktop app, but that only let me log off. Is there some app that will let me do this?
This is a weird quirk of Microsoft remote sessions even with desktop sessions.

Using the remote app, can you do ALT + F4 on the desktop of the session? That's literally how you shutdown/hibernate from the desktop terminal apps using the gui.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is there some cheaper/free version of Subsonic these days? I have a grandfathered account so I'm good, but I don't know what to recommend to others when it comes up.

I use it to stream my home library to my phone or wherever else. It will automatically transcode FLAC or high bitrate MP3s if necessary.

I use it particularly when I'm unexpectedly asked to DJ parties, and the playlist + other features just work so much better than say Rdio or Spotify for that use. I like having it show me a random selection of my albums, then I queue up tracks from them that I feel would be appropriate for the particular event.

I first found it when steaming music started getting to be a thing, and I thought it was ridiculous that services (here in Canada at least) would charge an additional fee if the music was being played on a "mobile device" as opposed to a general purpose computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I don't intend on getting rid of Google Play, but surely there has to be a less bloaty browser I can use and some decent cleaning app out there. The couple I've tried don't seem to do anything unless I pay $5 to unlock them, which is just a kick in the teeth to me.

You could give Opera a try? The download is 20 MB, not sure what the installed size is.

• Locked thread