Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
New G+ UI is so nice. Looks very much like ICS seems to, and it really feels and works great. I am really enjoying the swiping sideways for moving between tabs. Google Talk has done it forever, so it's about time they bring it into other apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Acky posted:

Is there an app that will allow the volume rocker buttons to be used ask previous and next for media playing, much like how Blackberry's are?

I don't know about an app, but you can long-press them on CM7 if you set the option to enable it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

It recognizes that it's a non-Honeycomb tablet and displays in tablet mode, and it's fantastic.

How does this work? GB and below are incapable of running Honeycomb features.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Trillian is great, free, uses C2DM and supports everything.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

nickhimself posted:

I switched to the mobile Facebook site in lieu of the app about a month ago. Best decision. If tagging wasn't impossible it would be perfect.

Friendcaster works really well, not sure if it lets you tag photos but it doesn't suck at least.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

berzerkmonkey posted:

Can someone recommend a good weather widget for me? I just got a SGSIIE4GT and the stock weather widget is somewhat lacking. I came from HTC and liked the way the weather widget was updated based on your location. The Samsung widget just seems to stay at whatever location you initially set it at, unless you go in and manually add another location (up to a max of 10 locations.)

It isn't horrible, but it is a little annoying to not see my location listed as the city I am currently in.

Beautiful Widgets.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

NewcastleBrown posted:

I have a Dropbox question.

I just moved a folder into my Dropbox folder on my phone, but it doesn't show up in Dropbox, either on my phone or my computer. Do I have to manually Upload each individual file in the folder, or am I missing something?

The dropbox app doesn't automatically sync the folder on your phone.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure I've been saying that their lovely custom fork would cause issues since the day they released details about it. Good job Amazon!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

That's how I've always switched keyboards on Android.

That's the only way to set the active keyboard unless you only have one installed AFAIK.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Athenry posted:

You can change in under Language & Keyboard in settings. It brings up the same dialog that choosing input method does though.

Maybe its just sense but I didn't see an option for changing the active keyboard, just their options.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
ES does permissions and has for a long time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Oops, BMG is right, even if he didn't bother to explain it. You have to turn on Root Explorer in the settings. Tough titties if you're not rooted but why would you need to deal with permissions otherwise?

Ah I turned on root the second I installed it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Recording a phone call without permission in some states can result in criminal charges.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Airdroid is pretty baller, I'm loving how detailed it is. It's a shame it doesn't mark SMS as read on your phone when you view them on there though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

My wife likes to play and it's very nice to be able to finally play something cross-OS but those loving ads.

WordFeud has existed for years, and had an iOS version for quite a while. Words with Friends is also cross-platform.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

1) do either of them use the official Scrabble dictionary?
2) she invited me, I play on her platform of choice. v:shobon:v

I'm pretty sure word feud can, its free to dl and check out, plus its goon made and uses push well which means low battery use.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

blargle posted:

What's a good alarm clock app? The default alarm clock on my Evo 3D completely refuses to play anything but "New Day" when the alarm goes off. I can delete alarms, add them, change them to any time or song, switch custom roms, wipe data, and it still plays that god drat New Day song.

That's really weird, I use the alarm on my 3D every day on the "snooze" noise.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Watchdog isn't a task manager exactly. It's a useful tool though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Strand posted:

Seems to be like the last couple of days. A couple of decent productivity or fun apps (Shazam, Camera), 1 or 2 good games (Game Dev Story)

Spirit HD, Sentinel 3 (goon made,) Space Physics (been around since the 1.6 days,) and Jelly Defense are all awesome games. In fact I think I've bought 4 or so apps every day if not more.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

deong posted:

Some of you might be interested in knowing the Miui lock screen made it to market.

Holy poo poo that is awesome news. It'd be way cooler if I didn't have Widgetlocker already, but MIUI's lock screen is fantastic.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This launcher is astonishingly pretty and fluid but when you take a step back you have to realize it's absurdly busy for a mobile product. It also appears to be MIUI based which IMHO is a turn off.

It probably runs on any OS, the person just happens to have MIUI installed. But I agree, it's really nice, but has way too much going on. I'll probably still check it out, but I can't see it being the 10 cent ADW EX I got from the market.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aatrek posted:

Anybody have a nice-looking, scrollable agenda widget? I love the LauncherPro agenda widget, but I hate that I can't pull it out of LPP.

Android Pro Widgets has one identical that even uses the same skins (if you pay for the pro version, which adds some other features too.)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The Ice Cream Sandwich keyboard on the market is really good, got me to give up the HTC sense 3 KB.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
So make a custom shortcut with a different name and hide it in the app drawer.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
*edit* nevermind

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

BonzoESC posted:

I know asking for a camera app that goes right to iCloud PhotoStream (and my iPhoto) is probably silly, but is there one that at least goes into a designated Dropbox folder?

Your best bet would probably to use instant upload with Google+.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Snips posted:

I use gingerbread keyboard. It's simple and not frilly but it works really well, and there's enough options to change the keyboard to your liking. I don't even know if the auto correct is special but I just mash my fingers into the keyboard at light speed and it comes out correct.

If you like GB keyboard, you should check out the ICS keyboard, it's even better.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Wagonburner posted:

File expert is a filemanager that has a built in httpd and ftpd for transferring files. You can even have it zip up selections or folders on the server/phone side before xferring.

I keep it around just for that, like ES better as a file mgr.

Airdroid also allows you to manage the files on your phone and text messages and poo poo from your web browser, it's pretty awesome.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

So apparently HTC killed the ability to disable the shutter sound on the stock, non rooted HTC evo 3D. This also is already driving my fiance crazy. Any thoughts on fixing it?

If this was ever an option they got rid of it a while ago.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Can't you just mute media volume? I know that worked with my OG droid, which was annoying when I tried to do anything else. Based on something I read a few years ago, it started being forced on in Japan because they were all being creepy pervs taking upskirt shots of people. Then it migrated to the US. I haven't bothered with my Gnex.

I think putting the phone on vibrate or silent will disable the shutter sound, but I can't test because I'm not on stock.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've seen plenty of phones that can turn of shutter sounds for still cameras, but not a single one for video recording. They're always loud and obvious tones too. How am I supposed to film morons doing idiotic things without them noticing?

Root your phone or use a custom camera app.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Hoplosternum posted:

Ugh, my new HTC phone came so full of useless uninstallable apps I have no room to pick and choose my own useless apps! And I can't even move most of them to the SD card. I'm too paranoid to root my phone as I'm not overly tech savvy and don't want to void the warantee yet. Is there anything else I can do?

Preinstalled apps reside in the /system partition and don't take up your usable space in the /data partition so don't worry about it. If they bug you that much you can install a third party launcher and hide them so they don't show up in your list of apps.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah repartitioning the phone can be helpful. When I had a Desire, I used a partition table off this http://alpharev.nl/ which took me from /system =250MB /cache=40MB /data=147MB to /system=130MB /cache=5MB /data=302MB while using CM7, although that particular table appears to have been removed form the site. It gave me plenty of app space without needing to set up A2SD stuff.

How is 302mb plenty of app space? Repartitioning your phone's file system is a lot more risky and likely to brick something than flashing an app2sd solution.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sharktamer posted:

I'm using MIUI v4, I've uninstalled the default app, but I still can't get it to work.

It says that it's replacing a system application when I try, even though the music app is gone.

MIUI isn't ICS.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sharktamer posted:

MIUI v4 is.

Last I checked it was a weird hybrid that was still mostly GB, is it fully ICS now? It was also only available for the Nexus S then too.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

THF13 posted:

This thread isn't being remade like the device thread just was anytime soon is it? I went through a lot of different android/tech sites app recommendations this past week looking for interesting apps I hadn't heard of and realized that they are all without exception terrible. They are either just posting inaccurate information, nothing but really obvious things (facebook/netflix/dropbox), or most commonly just really out of date. Most of what I found through a google search still recommended a task manager app.

Because of that I decided to start making my own based mostly on recommendations from this thread that I was hoping to get on the first page of a new App thread. I don't think it will be that useful in the middle of the thread and the goon wiki is long dead so I'm not sure where else to post it. For the list itself I wanted to go with the most common recommended app for a category or task with a short description, followed by any recommended alternatives. Also I want to give each app little icons for information like android version required, if it supports push updates, and if it's free/paid/free with pay version.

Here's an example

Clock Widgets
Beautiful Widgets [Paid] [1.6+]
Beautiful Widgets provides quality looking widgets with full skinning support. Clock/Weather, various toggle, battery, and date widgets are provided. Also has an option for a temperature notification in the notification bar.
Alternatives: HD Widgets [Paid] [1.6+?], Fancy Widgets [Free] [Paid] [1.6+]

I HIGHLY recommend checking out 1Weather, it's by the people who made Friendcaster, and it's really nice. Nice widget and a ton of features.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm trying out the ICS Messaging app as I wait for the Nexus S 4G to get an official OTA (or buy a Sprint GNex) and it's pretty awesome.

Is this seriously how the ICS Messaging app is? I mean it's simplistic, but it's still really good for what I use it for. Also, Roboto looks amazing on the NS4G screen.

Yeah that looks exactly like the ICS messaging app, which is indeed fantastic looking. Roboto is so superior it's ridiculous.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Who cares what the app thinks your average battery life is if you know what it is based on different situations already?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ZoDiAC_ posted:

the gmail app sucks for inline replies, the google email app sucks for attachments.

the Web app for gmail is okay but I want something that can also be used as a widget, notifications are a bonus. I don't want to spend money!

suggestions? :)

How does it suck for inline replying? There's a checkbox that says 'inline reply' and it works just fine.

Wagonburner posted:

I even like doing my taxes, on the standard irs forms.

There's an app with Turbotax that takes a picture of your W2 and scans it in. I don't think I've ever done taxes by hand, always with software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I just find it a bit fiddly in that I have to do that (for me the checkbox becomes unticked each time, I assume this is normal? If not I might reinstall it to see if that fixes it).

I'm willing to stick with the Gmail app but if there are alternatives just give me some names and I'll check them out :)

I'm pretty sure that's not default behavior, mine's usually checked.

• Locked thread