Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

I was really disappointed with HD Widgets and BW, and happy that I only paid 20 cents total; they both look like they haven't had any visual updates or content added since Eclair.

Uh the widgets are completely customizable you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, and the selection through the "Get More Skins!" link was terrible (which seemed to be a common complaint). Is there someplace outside the app(s) I should be looking?

e: At the time, I was looking for a clock that looked like a simple analog clock, and of the 30 or so options not one of them was just a white clockface with black hands and numbers, just tons of gimmicky junk. And some toggle widgets that didn't look like they came out of Commander Keen.

If you're looking for toggle widgets, use Widgetsoid. By far the best for a simple classy looking toggle, you can even match ICS's theme. Considering the clock in BW is a digital clock I wouldn't hold out for analog skins. You know you can use the weather separately and just use the Android built in analog widget.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Return that phone and get something else would be my first suggestion. For messaging apps, did you try chomp?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

beedeebee posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. But let's worry about those potential headaches when the they occur.
It's a bit obnoxious when you ask something and the answer is: thuh, get a new phone you scrub.

Anyway, I used the Go launcher widget, and their message app, looks neat.

The thing is, we've been dealing with people having huge issues with Samsung phones, especially the older generation of them like the W which is like a one-off weird variant of the original S, for I think over 2 years at this point. But hey, you're the one who has to deal with it. If you can live with a phone that's already outdated and probably won't ever see another update or security patch or bug fix outside the third-party community, which is even smaller for the W, then good luck.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

both HTC and Motorola started to seriously gently caress up.

Other than lovely batteries what's HTC done? They actually unlocked most of their phones.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Steriletom posted:

Facebook app got an update today.

It did? I don't see an update in the market and I know I haven't updated already.
*edit* Apparently it was yesterday, it must have autoupdated and I wasn't paying attention.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This I didn't know and I think it's a fairly recent addition. I could be wrong though, I really only use Facebook to be offensive. :v:

This is true, he does, and it's hilarious.

However, that feature's been around for a while. It's the same way most poo poo works on the iPhone, tape a picture and options come up.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I tried friend caster for a while but its just drat ugly. Other than that it works fantastically.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

az jan jananam posted:

Is there an app that functions like a hard disk space analyzer? IE something that could analyze which folders/files are taking up the most space on your SD card.

Pretty sure EStrong's does this.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The built in contacts app?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Gothmog1065 posted:

So with this, I'm assuming the built in contact list has improved since the OG Droid?

What exactly is your problem with it?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

What would be the purported benefits over, say, ICS browser+? I can't think of anything I'm missing, offhand.

More Chrome integrated, and shows your current open desktop tabs, which is nice I guess. Hopefully they'll eventually become one.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Hit search, start typing contact name, problem solved. It's incredibly handy. Or use voice actions.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Wouldn't be files since it's freeware but it's ICS only, so no.

It's working fantastically on my evo 3d :smug:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Man Google's on a roll today.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

az jan jananam posted:

What phone do you have? Older phones have a limited app data partition and so it fills up quickly after you install a lot of apps. The HTC Incredible has an ext4 mod that increases the partition size and its easy to flash, I don't know about what phone you're using.

Well it shows his data partition as around 2gb and having plenty of free space in his picture.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Valentine posted:

Nothing additional, I'm just accustom to the basic line-style of my old Droid so I was looking for something stripped down if possible. The left-right orientation of sender and receiver really bugs me for some reason.

I'd try to get used to it if you can, because it's by far the nicest looking and most simple text app I've used. Pretty much all the alternatives are ugly and have a thousand options.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

IT Guy posted:

I didn't use Titanium but I used nandroid backup. However, my first attempt to restore it messed up the ROM install. Therefore I opted for the manual route. I still have like 34 more apps to install. I just keep doing it whenever I'm bored.

That's because NANDROID is a complete backup and you should only use it before things like switching ROMs or upgrading your ROM version as a backup in case something fucks up. There's no reason not to use Titanium Backup, mine's setup to automatically backup all my user apps+data at 4am while I'm asleep so I always have a current version of my poo poo.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

IT Guy posted:

Makes sense, I guess I should have used Titanium.

Restoring an entire /data/ partition from a NANDROID would be like not wiping before moving to a new ROM, you'll get all that old app data from system apps that's very likely to gently caress something up.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or download the latest gapps package from any number of sites.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

I didn't think about it trying to restart all the time and I'm a bit too used to how Windows uses up RAM.

Thanks!

Windows uses RAM the same exacty way Android does :ssh:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Trisk posted:

This is probably a dumb request, but is there an app that can automatically sync files from your desktop to your phone? In my case I want to sync some work documents so I have them on the go.

Just setup dropbox, the official app won't sync them onto your phone but you can download the latest version from your desktop, and then upload it back when you're done. There are third-party dropbox supporting apps that will sync both ways but I don't use one so someone else will have to recommend one if that's not easy enough for ya.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AlexDeGruven posted:

PrintScreen key + Paint.NET.

I don't think most android phones have a printscreen key.

What phone do you have? Are you rooted?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tactical Grace posted:

Vague but, does anyone know of an app which adds more functionality to the pull down notifications screen? Its always accessible and I spend so much time looking at it when I'm turning on and off wifi/3G/GPS/looking at notifications that I'd like it to be more useful.

Widgetsoid can live up there and toggle poo poo. Beyond that you have to use a custom ROM.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

IT Guy posted:

ADW in CM7 had this feature. Not sure if it was ADW or if it was CM7 though.

ADW.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If nothing else changing the grid size and number of screens is nice.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The ICS based launcher Nova Launcher just reached 1.0 and is in the Market. There's also a $4 pay version with gestures, swiping dock shortcuts, and hiding apps.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher.prime

Man I can't believe I'm going to end up paying another $4 for a 'pro' launcher. I just hope this one doesn't end up like LPP support-wise.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Have you tried Google Music? Or the stock player?

Safe and Secure! posted:

I've seen a lot of people complain about the options for music players on Android, but I've never heard anyone mention what they dislike about them. I've been using Songbird for a while and, from what I've seen, it seems pretty good.

Is there anything people do like about the music players available?

I have absolutely 0 issues with the stock or Google Music players.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Snips posted:

Are there any third party messaging apps that are simple and work well and also let you customize them a bit? I tried a few messaging apps and they were all poo poo and so my hopes of using anything but the stock one are diminishing fast, and the stock one is ugly with my lack of contact pictures and mostly black 'theming'

I've never seen a third party app on the market that wasn't uglier than the stock one even with tweaking and custom skins. Have you tried the ICS messaging app? It's on the market and looks virtually identical to the stock ICS one, which is really nice looking.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

anakha posted:

Would the Any.DO app suffice? It's not skinnable, but the black widget layout might be to your liking:

Holy crap this app is nice! Very slick, the black theme looks amazing in ICS and the app itself is very ICS-themed. And it syncs with Google tasks.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Kameleon posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to get the functionality from old Google Search back where it shows search history in the default view?

Like when you hit the search button from the desktop or use the search widget? Because mine still does that.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Kameleon posted:

Yeah, the search button. Mine was just showing my recent call history until I unticked everything but Google in searchable items, now it does nothing until I start typing (and doesn't even show my recent searches then).

Google is only Google search suggestions, so if that's all you have checked it's not going to show your history.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter287 posted:

Same here. I tried out Nova Launcher but it seemed like there wasn't anything I couldn't already do with GO+ICS theme other than the widgets in the app drawer thing. Plus GO lets you rearrange apps in a folder, which I couldn't seem to figure out how to do on Nova.

You do it by...dragging them around.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
For anyone using twitter still or looking for a good app, Boid was recently posted on XDA as an ICS themed twitter app that looks pretty great. Don't use twitter so I haven't checked it out myself, but it looks nice.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1529622

Not sure if it requires ICS or not, the market link doesn't specify but I think it does.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

b0nes posted:

There was an app I downloaded a while ago but lost when I changed the ROM on my phone. It allowed you to connect to your phone over wifi and it had a GUI interface. I ti s like wifi explorer but with a prettier desktop like look, You could also send and receive texts on your desktop.Anyone know what i'm talking about?

Airdroid?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

The annoying thing is occasionally buy some combination of screen presses you do get the old style photo screen where you can see comments.

The CRAZY HARD TO FIGURE OUT screen presses are:
1: press the screen
2: Press the bottom right area that shows a thumbs up and a comments bubble.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

That (usually) only shows comments for me, not likes.

Occasionally it loads a different (not full screen) view that shows comments and likes below the photo

Your post said 'where you can see comments,' so I thought maybe you were having trouble with that. If you're talking about likes, yeah, the app's worthless for poo poo like that.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I switched to weatherlove because it looks amazing with ICS. It has a lot of widget choices, so it's a decent replacement for beautiful widgets if it's hosed.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything like Lightflow but without 5 billion options? I want something simple that pretty much just makes my notifications flash faster on my Galaxy Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

Doesn't exactly answer your question but most custom ROMs have an option for that.

I don't see any options like that on CM9, but I may be blind. If it had that and an option to add a search soft key it would be perfect.

• Locked thread