Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005

fuzzi posted:

Tried that... still showing yesterday both on my computer at home and at work.

The 10 cent apps page hasn't updated on my computer, but it has on my phone's market page. Go look there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Is there a good app out there that you can simultaneously post to twitter and facebook from? My mom is trying to get her business' social media going, and wants to be able to post little blurbs from her phone, and have it upload the same thing (with attached pictures sometimes) to Twitter and Facebook

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Anyone know if a "GPS calibration" app? I don't even know if this would be the correct route of fixing this, but I bought a Samsung Galaxy I off eBay, and its fantastic, except the GPS can never pinpoint me within half a mile radius, and it has a real hard time following me if I'm moving in a car.

Really annoying.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
This may seem a little idealistic, but is there an app out there that instead of an alarm sound, will do something like "Hello 'person', it is 9AM. Weather forecast is x, news headlines are...". Basically a personalized greeter of news headlines and weather as an alarm clock?

I feel like someone has to have figured this out by now.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
I'm looking for an app that would allow me to SMS message from my phone's number, and but via my Nexus tablet. Does Google Voice do this, without forcing me to use the Google Voice app to send texts when on my phone?

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
I'm moving to Hong Kong for 6 months and currently have an SG3 with T-Mobile. Is there any app out there that would allow my friends in the US to text my current T-Mobile phone number, and if I connect my SG3 to a wi-fi network, it would then pick-up my text messages? Does Google Voice do this?

I will get a local Hong Kong phone for day-to-day calling, but I want to communicate to my friends in the US still. Any one have an idea on this?

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Anybody know of an app that can sync my Outlook Calendar to my phone?

This seems like a really basic thing, but I don't have my company email/calendar on my phone, only on my laptop, and it'd be great if I could plug in my phone to my laptop and sync my calendar to my android's calendar. Any features like that?

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005

Cruseydr posted:

Assuming your work email is on Exchange, just add the account to your phone. If you don't have exchange, good luck. You used to be able to sync outlook with your google calendar but I don't think that's possible now.

Yeah, so I can't add my exchange account to my phone due to security issues. My coworkers with iPhones are able to sync their calendar via iTunes by plugging their phone into their laptops. Was hoping a similar feature existed for Android peoples.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005

Fart of Presto posted:

Have you looked at gSyncIt?
I use it to sync my Outlook at home to my Google Calendar, but I don't know how it would act in a corporate environment.

This looks great, thanks!

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
What's the best torrent app out there? uTorrent used to be my go-to, but I'm having serious issues with their app on my Nexus 7.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Speaking of SwiftKey, does anyone have issues with it 'remembering' that it is your default keyboard after phone restart?

Every time I reboot my phone, I have to re-set it as my default keyboard, which is getting annoying.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
What is the best voicemail replacement app?

I used to have some horrible T-mobile pre-installed one, but now I just have the standard type with the irremovable notification.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Is there a messaging app that solves the "group messaging with iPhone users" problem one and for all? I've tried a bunch over the years, but none have been able to fully solve it without me missing any messages in the conversations

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think this is a phone/app problem. I think the problem lies behind MMS as a protocol overall, in that it's pretty slow and wasn't built with the rapid sending/receiving of messages in mind. If the messages keep coming and going at a fast rate, you'll eventually fall behind/get them out of order/just plain old not get some at all.

iPhone users don't have to deal with this because messages to each other (including group messages) are sent as iMessages (data) as you probably already know.

Usually the bog standard answer to this problem is "Get your friends on some sort of group messaging app like facebook messenger/whatsapp/hangouts", but yeah that's usually easier said than done. Nobody wants to be the annoying person grabbing their friends phones and forcing them to use something that they may not want to.

Yeah, I just assume that someone is going to "crack the code" of threading data/iMessage messages with SMS's through some sort of Android app to make it seamless for everyone, without forcing other users to switch off their app. Seems like an annoying hole that all Android texters experience.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Using Google Hangouts as my SMS app solved this issue for me finally.

I just switched to this, and it does seem like it is working! So maybe this is the solution. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Wanted to pimp my friend's android app to you guys, Cluster, as I think everyone here would like it (if you're not aware of it already).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.getcluster.android

It's a private photo/video sharing app, basically a much-improved way of sharing across groups of friends. They just released Cluster 2.0, which supports video, notes, and stuff. Check it out, as it is very well done if I don't say so myself.

• Locked thread