Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Edit: Speaking of wallpapers, one of my favorite things about my Evo was having a clean home screen with no shortcuts. All the applications I needed were accessible from the lock screen. On the S3, there doesn't seem to be a way to delete shortcuts from the home screen at all. Is there a program that will let me hide those short cuts? Or is rooting my only option?

Tap and hold on the icon, drag to trash can in the dock. I was nervous at first because I thought it deleted the app, but no, just the home screen shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Has anyone else noticed the following issues with Swype beta?
Won't automatically capitalise the first letter in a field.
Randomly chooses between on-screen editing & the separate, Swype editing page (which is jarring & white).
Doesn't automatically put a space between a word and the & symbol.

Also I get the occasional bug where I'm typing a word & it automatically fills in a suggestion, then I go to delete the auto-filled part & it dumps the word in again, so I end up with a string like:

Automatiautomaticalautomatauto

The prediction is so much better than the original Swype but this last bug is doing my head in.

Was doing the same thing for me with Swiftkey 3.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Just tried and bought Cerberus per the suggestions in this thread. It's a steal at twice the price. The amount of things you can do is absolutely staggering.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm trying to get the sixaxis app working, but I can't seem to do it. I got it to work once, but navigating an app just kept hitting the back button on my SGS3 for anything I tried.

I try to pair it wirelessly and it goes "no controller found, please connect it via usb cable."

What? Why? Just loving use bluetooth! I don't have a mini-b to micro-b connector, and I'm not buying it just for this. I don't even think they exist according to the internet.

you have to connect it via usb cable to your PC and run the pairing utility, and follow the instructions.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

go to a retailer with live demo units, sign in to your google account on said device, buy the stuff, cancel the downloads, then wipe your google account from the device?

Just a random thought at least. Seems like you might be able to pull it off in somewhere like Best Buy where I remember messing with a galaxy note for about 15 minutes with not a single person anywhere around me.

bonus points : factory wipe the phone when you leave with the infamous code that's been going around thanks to the recent samsung debacle.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

it's better than those animated logos that say things like "aim user", "xbox player", "power bottom" , "computer operator".

in on-topic discussion : I've been searching for an app that'll provide me a clean homescreen widget with social media updates. Facebook and Twitter's never update the way they should. Plume is pretty good, and behaves almost the way i want. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution ? I want something clean and minimalist (like glass widgets) with twitter and facebook and poo poo.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 9, 2012

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Android Pro Widgets.

If this weren't sent via my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean, I'd have provided a link.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Sent from my work computer Dell XPS 8100 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

APW has not caused me issues thus far. I bought a license and loaded up the "timeline" widget, and it's been smooth. Only issue is that I set it so it launches facebook in a browser when you tap on facebook poo poo, and it goes to an error page.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

brc64 posted:

That's configurable. I have mine set to open posts in the Facebook app. When you go into the widget settings, there should be a "open posts with" or similar setting.

Yeah. That's what I said. I set it so it launches with the web browser, which is what I want. The problem with that is that it launches an incorrect URL in the browser. In settings you choose "Integrate With" , with the option of mobile web, full web, Facebook for Android, and a bunch of other stuff. The other options all work, but "Full Web", which is what I'd chosen, brings you to Facebook to a "The page you requested was not found".

I'm sure that's just a small issue that will be remedied soon.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

brc64 posted:

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. Are you using a tablet? I can't imagine using the full site on a regular basis being a pleasant experience on a phone...

Nope.. Just the Samsung GS3. The official facebook app is just so lovely, that the regular website is the least horrible facebook experience you can get on the device.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yeah, the iOS version used to be roughly as bad as the Android version, but now it's really, really good.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Anybody got a good wireless tether app that works on JB devices? FoxFi doesn't work for anything above ICS yet, and I just upgraded my Verizon GS3 to a JB rom.

I use Power Toggles to just turn the stock tethering options on and off. I've gotten iPads hooked up to my VZW SGS3 both via Wifi hotspot, as well as bluetooth, both on stock 4.0.4 touchwiz, and on CM10. You can configure them in your system settings, but it doesn't do the "subscription check" unless you try to enable them in the system settings. Power toggles turns them on/off without that check.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Speaking of Google Now, is the NFL section still a big turd that only updates once or twice a quarter, or is that only happening to me? I was under the impression that it would be a little more real-time than that.

It's slow for me too. Definitely not "real time". Then again, being a Bills fan, gently caress the NFL google now scorecards.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

SuperNuts posted:

Can anyone recommend some good sms tablet apps? Basically I'd like to be able to receive and respond to texts my phone gets on my Nexus 7. Paid for or free, doesn't really matter.

Chiming in about DeskSMS. I love it. Worth every penny at 5 bucks a year. The only thing we need now is (for multiplatform neckbeards such as myself) a desksms tablet client for iPad.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

I'm having the same LWP crash on CM9 so may be CM in general, may be the app.

The LWP on my Note 2 (cleanROM) loads and works, but when you press "Settings" it complains that the app isn't installed. Beautiful Widgets is indeed installed and up to date.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Is anybody having an issue where a few apps like TeslaLED are showing as "Not compatible with your device" on the in-device Google Play? (works fine if you tell it to install from a web browser) It's showing as such on both phones i have in front of me right now (note 2 and GS3)

Edit : unrelated note : what the gently caress did i do to show the international version (Samsung GT-N7100) of my phone as a device on my account in the device listing?

Verizon Motorola Droid

Verizon HTC Incredible 2 (last used December, 2012)

Samsung GT-N7100

AT&T Samsung SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Unknown Cm_tenderloin (last used November, 2012)
This item is not compatible with your device.

Verizon Samsung SCH-I535 (last used November, 2012)

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 4, 2012

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Can anyone actually complete a sentence with Swype Flow? I'm beginning to think their youtube ad was snake oil...

I just flowed your whole question, save for replacing "swype" with "swiftkey" , because swiftkey's already in its dictionary.

I'm not saying I did it quickly, but damnit I didn't lift my finger once! It's going to take some practice.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I've made a few posts in the 'VIP' SwiftKey Flow (phone) forum. That's what it's there for! Go complain!

I want :

1) An option for a row of numbers at the top of the keyboard. The Samsung keyboard has this on my Note 2, and it's perfect.

2) Swipe backward to delete a word (from the delete key?), and down to hide the keyboard.

3) a "url mode" quick toggle. a quick way to toggle all the autocorrect / spaces / capitalization.

edit:

Tatsuta Age posted:

For some reason, I can't force my Note 2 into "swype"-style typing mode or whatever. It wants me to tap every letter before it does anything. Is there some really easy setting I'm missing here?

This is for the Flow beta btw.

I noticed that it didn't turn that on until i'd made sure to complete all of the setup steps when you first install it. Like, when you're using the keyboard to setup its facebook integration, swiping wasn't an option.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

hotsauce posted:

On the Note 2, do you use the phone or tablet version? I didn't see a "phablet" version for download :v:

Seriously, which works best for the huge screen?

I downloaded them both and toyed with both briefly, and i honestly didn't see a difference at all.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Smeed posted:

Promotion has expired :( It's not 12/14 yet but they've given it the axe I guess.

The promo was today (12/13), but they've run out of them. They allegedly have something else up their sleeve, and encourage those that missed this to "stay tuned".

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The only option i can think of is also an incredibly snoopy one. If you and your wife trust eachother explicitly enough, you can use cerberus. Keep in mind that EVERYTHING is accessible. Text message logs, call logs, it can get really creepy really fast. If you use Cerberus, don't blame me for your divorce.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Karthe posted:

Just a heads up, the phone version of SwiftKey 3 doesn't allow you to swipe on a tablet. I don't know if it's to encourage me to buy the tablet edition, but no matter which app I was in the keyboard would refuse to swipe on my Nexus 7.

Edit: What the hell, swipe doesn't work in the tablet edition either! SwiftKey 3 Tablet Edition won't swipe in Trillian or Drive, but SwiftKey Flow Tablet Edition will...This makes no sense SwiftKey :argh:

Swiftkey Flow is swiping. Swiftkey 3 is typing. Simple.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Or you can just ask google "what song is this" (one of the latest google search / google now updates added this feature)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

thehoodie posted:

So after having my iPhone stolen, I got a Galaxy SIII for Christmas, and have been having a great time screwing around with it for the past day or so. However, I really miss being able to view text messages/missed alerts at the lock screen, like I was able to do on my iphone. Is there any sort of app that will display text messages, at the very least, on the lock screen? I downloaded one that displays the message on the screen, but it goes away after a couple seconds and I still have to unlock my phone and go to messages to view it again or if I miss it.

SMS popup will do this, and personally I prefer ChompSMS. You have to manually set up ChompSMS to do it, but I really like it. (Settings > Notifications > Quick Reply Popup > Enabled)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Lemons posted:

Have you guys tried Kii Keyboard? It seems to be based off of the 4.2 keyboard, but way more customizable. I've been loving it after I saw a post on Reddit about it a couple of days ago.

The main thing that I preferred in SwiftKey over 4.2 stock keyboard was the long-hold symbols that SwiftKey had. Kii fixes that and adds a bunch of other stuff that is really great.

It's really just a souped up 4.2 keyboard.

I've played with this a total of 5 minutes and already holy poo poo this is the best keyboard. It's better predictions with easier editing, decent swiping, more advanced swiping gestures, and the additional number row like the stock samsung note 2 keyboard. Thank you for this.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Im_Special posted:

Couple random questions, I've bought some games from Google Play and under "My Android Apps" tab it shows all my installed apps currently on my phone, how do you tell which ones are bought from the free ones? Are the bought ones tied to my account forever and I can uninstall them reinstall them as many times as I'd like? It's just that if I go to the apps store page it doesn't say anything like you already own this so it can get confusing.

Lastly I was looking into buying either Apex Launcher Pro or Nova Launcher Prime to add some additional options/tweaks to my home pages, they both look the same with same price with similar review ratings, which kinda has me stuck on which one to get. Could anyone tip me over on one side or the other to which I should get.

Once you've gotten an app, be it for free or paid for, you can install it as many times as you like, across as many android devices you have (phone and tablet, for example). You can't really tell if you'd paid money for something because it just says "install" rather than the price, once you've installed it previously. If you really want, you can check the play store from a browser that's not logged in to your google account, and it'll show the price.

For launchers : try the free ones and decide then. I don't notice much of a difference, personally.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My problem with zooper is this : My phone is my watch. I quickly turn the screen on and look at the clock, on occasion. I use a zooper widget on my lockscreen (widgetlocker) to display time and some other information, but the time does not update instantly along with the system clock. So : I turn the screen on and often times I look at the screen and put it back in my pocket before the widget's time updates.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Markovnikov posted:

It's a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I've looked all over, but there is no Internet/Browser/Whatevs app (the manual even says to look for the Internet App). There is a Google Search one that you can use and it works as a browser too, but a dedicated browser is probably better. Will Chrome work well on this model?

My friends are telling me I need an antivirus for my cell phone? Is that really a thing? :raise:

2:34 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLDuRqdelW4 shows a blue globe labeled "internet", like most current samsung phones.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I've been in love with A Liquid Cloud as far as Live Wallpapers go, and also Nthing WidgetLocker for lockscreen flexibility.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Granbar posted:

I'd like to add text to my lock screen, for example "remember to buy milk" and stuff like that. Will WidgetLocker allow me to do this? If not, anyone know of an app that will?

Widgetlocker lets you use widgets on your lockscreen that were previously only available to be put on your homescreen. So , if you have a homescreen widget that works for that, then yes.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Just throwing in there that Keymonk is amazing. takes a bit of getting used to, however.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Google's website disagrees:

http://www.google.com/mobile/navigation/index.html

dear god they need to update those phone images

Google's website agrees.

He said route Generation. Generation has to happen while you have a network connection, when you start navigation. You can continue after losing a connection, but you have to be connected to generate the route and start.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

New Android user (Nexus 7 2012); for the most part I'll be using this thing to stream videos from my server, but for situations where I want to bring some shows with me, how do I go about adding them to my device's storage?

plug it in via USB and drag and drop like a flash drive, or pull them off your network share into local storage via a file manager app like ES File Explorer (my favorite).

e:f:b

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 17, 2013

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The latest swiftkey beta finally includes a number row option at the top! I've been waiting for this for a long time now. Hooray!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Tigren posted:

You're supposed to be able to type in emoji keywords and it suggests a symbol for you. Like, if you type "pizza" it shows you the pizza emoji. Does this work for anyone else?

Yep.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yeah I was in the midst of browsing the available themes. Hopefully they institute a nice theming engine, because the stock ones drive me nuts. Half of them would be OK, but all the highlights are GREEN.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Tigren posted:

Hmm, did you have to enable that somewhere? Mine doesn't do that.

Settings>Advanced>Emoji Predictions.

Make sure you're using the beta, too. The one in google play doesn't have the feature yet.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Anyone else buy Minuum? Using it now and it's pretty infuriating.

Yeah, I immediately put that into the "I'm an idiot, goodbye, a couple of bucks" file.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

fuckpot posted:

Can someone please recommend a good app for transferring files from my internal storage to an SD card? I see the option in the application manager but it just seems to drop out randomly on the 1.8gb file I'm trying to transfer. Some sort of progress bar would be nice too.

I have a Galaxy Note 3 if that is relevant.

ES File Explorer is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

fuckpot posted:

Thanks. What I'm actually trying to do is move the installed Anomaly 2 over to the SD. I'm having trouble locating it. I search for it and I can see the apk file. Is that the installer or the actual game? Can I just create a folder called games on the SD and whack it in there? It's no real problem to redownload if I have to. I wish there was an option to install directly to the SD from the google play app.

There's a lot more fuckery involved that just moving files if you're trying to move a game or its assets to your SD card. I haven't looked lately, but last I had, it was complicated.

• Locked thread